web analytics

Report Suggests Bruce Could Be Rewarded If He Keeps Newcastle Up

On Sunday, when Newcastle invite Tottenham to St. James’ Park, this dismal and disappointing season will resume after a two-week international break. While you generally don’t want to stew for too long after a performance like the one Newcastle put in at Brighton, the 15 days between matches did provide some advantages.

First and foremost, it allowed our injured stars some extra recovery time. While Callum Wilson is still another week away, all signs point to Allan Saint-Maximin at least returning to the bench on Sunday. Miguel Almiron, who was rushed back for Brighton, should be fully fit for Spurs.

After the Brighton defeat, Newcastle were quick to throw their support behind embattled head coach Steve Bruce. It seems the two weeks since the awful 3-0 thrashing at the Amex has only served to strengthen Ashley’s resolve.

Recent reports have suggested that no replacement has been identified despite claims that Chris Wilder, Giovanni van Bronckhorst, and Eddie Howe would be interested should the position become available.

However, the ever-stubborn Ashley remains committed to the head coach he selected to replace Rafa Benitez two summers ago. According to a report in The Telegraph, that will remain the case beyond this season if Bruce manages to keep Newcastle up.

Luke Edwards also suggests that Bruce could be offered an extension this summer as his contract runs out after next season. Edwards theorizes that Ashley could even offer improved terms though with a much less compensation package.

Newcastle’s tenuous league position has hampered planning for next season. An empty St. James’ Park for this entire campaign has also severely cut any transfer budget this summer. Though Bruce has been involved in the minimal recruitment plans that have taken place.

Edwards says the current plan is for Bruce to see out the rest of this season. Though that is not etched in stone as another performance like the one at Brighton could produce a change of heart from Ashley.

However, while Bruce boasted of a top ten push before this season, his remit has been to keep Newcastle in the Premier League. Despite flirting with disaster, if Bruce keeps Newcastle safe for a second season, he will have satisfied his boss’s extremely low expectations.

How Will Newcastle Do Against Tottenham On Sunday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Mund

Apr 3, 2021 at 8:50 AM

Sing

I don’t think we need the frog to keep saying it so we don’t lose focus as this fanbase is at its lowest of this era. Fight against Ashley but coming on the blog and calling every Tom, Dick and Harry PR has lost his credentials for me. I’ve been called it numerous times and I get called Jib and have all that thrown in my face, so do many others.

He asks questions upon questions and demands answers but answers nothing he is asked so to me that’s a cop out

• sing in the corner

Apr 3, 2021 at 8:56 AM

Well I take your point there.
    One man’s meat is another man’s poison.
    There are plenty of other people posting banal / repetitive irrelevancies but don’t get pulled at all.

• yorkymag

Apr 3, 2021 at 9:04 AM

Mund
    I used to post fairly regularly
    But I don’t bother now
    Why simply because of the frog he stops any sensible debate with his persistent dribble
    I don’t deny him his point of view but to behave the way he does has destroyed the essence of sharing different points of view
    In life I find there are only two kinds of people those that give energy and those that sap it
    The frog is guilty of sapping the energy from the blog
    I don’t disagree with some of his points but to stop others making a contribution is well out of order

• sing in the corner

Apr 3, 2021 at 9:07 AM

How does toon22 stop anyone doing anything?

• sing in the corner

Apr 3, 2021 at 9:11 AM

There are a myriad of things that stop any individual from posting on a blog.
    But when you see the symbol of the frog and don’t want to read, scroll down to the next post.

• Mund

Apr 3, 2021 at 9:11 AM

Yorkymag

Couldn’t of said it better myself.

Don’t be a stranger just look for the right time to get involved mate :thumb up thingy:

• sing in the corner

Apr 3, 2021 at 9:13 AM

And then you can get stuck into NUFC related debate, providing that there is any.

Apr 3, 2021 at 9:15 AM

Mund

Who did I call ?

Apr 3, 2021 at 9:16 AM

Seems to me Mund can’t skip my posts
    He needs me gone

LoL

Apr 3, 2021 at 9:17 AM

I accused Jane
    And then refused to elaborate

Go back and read it again
    You would like to argue about it
    I don’t need too

• Mund

Apr 3, 2021 at 9:20 AM

I don’t argue I make valid points.

That’s a sign of weakness that mr frog resorting to saying I want to argue. So every debate I have is an argument? 🙄 it’s a cop out by you

Apr 3, 2021 at 9:22 AM

Mund

Fair enough
    LoL

Apr 3, 2021 at 9:23 AM

It’s never Jabbas fault

• sing in the corner

Apr 3, 2021 at 9:28 AM

Clarke or Fede at centre half?
    Clarke for me just edging it, cos Fede has been injured.
    Lejeune preferred to both like.
    Oh..
    Banished abroad on loan
    Another cock up.

Apr 3, 2021 at 9:29 AM

Yep
    They arnt clever enough to be idiots

• yorkymag

Apr 3, 2021 at 9:34 AM

And there you go
    Need I say anymore
    6 simply unnecessary futile posts

• barkel

Apr 3, 2021 at 9:43 AM

A fair few comments blaming the empty stadium for our lack of funds but no mention of the cheap/free advertising

• Nicky the ball tosser

Apr 3, 2021 at 9:48 AM

…………………Dubravka.
    Manq…Lascelles…Fede….Dummett.
    …………..Willock…..Lobby.
    …Murphy……Almiron…..Fraser.
    ………………..Joel.

Give Carroll and St Max the last 30.

Apr 3, 2021 at 9:55 AM

barkel

Its the reason he is still here
    Those adverts arnt just free
    He makes money off the back of footy via us

Apr 3, 2021 at 9:57 AM

Nicky the ball tosser

Joe isnt a striker, never will be
    He needs sending home. Get away from it all till next season
    Hes shot to bits

Id play Carrol from the start and just see how far he gets
    Worry about afterwards
    Afterwards

Apr 3, 2021 at 9:59 AM

A different manager would get far more from Joe
    Hes been hoyed under a bus by the clown

Hes not a striker
    No matter how much we paid for him its not going to change

• Romford mag

Apr 3, 2021 at 10:00 AM

Simon

Good luck in the H2H this week bud:)

• Romford mag

Apr 3, 2021 at 10:01 AM

🙂

• Nicky the ball tosser

Apr 3, 2021 at 10:02 AM

Yeah, I agree, he isn’t a striker, but I’d still pick him to start ahead of Carroll and Gayle, but I do like Andy on for the last 30.

• Just a Fat Dave Bassett

Apr 3, 2021 at 10:06 AM

Nicky,
    I go sit in a restaurant right beside the White Swan Hotel a few times a week. I go on lunch breaks or any time I get an hour or two free, and I’ll be heading there in half an hour to have a beer or two and watch the parklife. I’d bet it’s the same restaurant as it’s the only one with outside seating and is slightly popular with westerners.

Apr 3, 2021 at 10:07 AM

NTBT

Playing Joe from the start will leave things as they are
    Were terrible right now
    Something has to change
    Joe isnt going to get goals, or hold the ball up
    Hes good out wide and can give most people a game

Just not up front

Carrol on the other hand is a focus point and will give the CBs trouble
    The question is for how long ?
    Agasint Spurs id guess the game will be long gone before the last 30 mins

• Nicky the ball tosser

Apr 3, 2021 at 10:09 AM

Ha! Yeah, I remember the neighborhood well. Shady wide tree lined streets, almost European.

• Just a Fat Dave Bassett

Apr 3, 2021 at 10:10 AM

We have Ashley keeping Charnley in a job despite his lack of ability just because he is loyal to him.
    We have Charnley keeping Bruce in a job just because he is loyal.
    We have Bruce keeping Joelinton, Shelvey, Hendrick and often Krath in the team just because they are loyal to him.

What a mess.

Should just employ the best people, and play the best players.

Apr 3, 2021 at 10:13 AM

I honestly though Penfold had been furlouged

Apr 3, 2021 at 10:13 AM

Thought

• jane

Apr 3, 2021 at 10:16 AM

i watched Birmingham v Swansea last night.
    both penalties were soft. the one Woodman saved was a good save as you don’t often see penalties hit down the centre saved.
    Lee Bowyer has made a good start as manager of Birmingham, winning 2 out of 3 both against top 6 teams.

• Nicky the ball tosser

Apr 3, 2021 at 10:18 AM

I love Andy Carroll, I really do, but he just doesn’t have the mobility or pace anymore. You need to either ping it in to feet or hang it in the air for him, admittedly though if you can do that he’s still great. Joel has way more to his game, but of course his finishing is dire. The important thing if you play Joel is that he have Almiron off his shoulder and the wingers/wide mids up alongside to attack in numbers. Gayle to me shouldn’t be near the 11. No physical presence, not a target, can’t link play, average marksman at this level.

Apr 3, 2021 at 10:21 AM

NTBT

Problem is that everyone knows Joes terrible
    They will just about leave him too it knowing we wont do much
    Ive no ieda how slow or fit Carrol is
    I am sure hes alot more of a hand full at both ends
    We dont need him to run about much

Apr 3, 2021 at 10:21 AM

Hiya Jane

😉

• sing in the corner

Apr 3, 2021 at 10:23 AM

Nicky #18
    I like that team there. Willock and the Sean if 2.5 yrs ago would be good. Big question mark over the Bruced Sean. Maybe he is the prova a point type, let’s see.
    Got to be worth a try ahead of the failed Jonjo / Hendrick combo!

• sing in the corner

Apr 3, 2021 at 10:30 AM

Nicky
    True what you say about Carroll to an extent. But he was never quick or super mobile before.
    Goals are a rarity now.
    Service has been non existent for his cameos though.
    And with Fraser getting forward one side maybe, and Murphy the other, the promise of getting decent balls in to him…

• sing in the corner

Apr 3, 2021 at 10:31 AM

Carroll has proven he can last for the 90 when given the chance this season.
    So a start could be ok.

• Rotonda heights

Apr 3, 2021 at 10:36 AM

So we possibly might have to give Bruce a bonus for doing the bare minimum of coming 17th. Absolutely sickening how low we have fallen. So Bruce might now just have an added incentive to get off his fat lazy b.utt and possibly do more than 2 days training a week and actually go and watch some training. Jeez it’s a hard life. Bruce has had no minus net spend but rather has had more than 110M extra on players. Can you imagine a proper coach being told he’s a bit extra just for keeping the 12th highest paid squad up.

If this was truly Bruce’s alleged ”dream job” he should be working far far harder to implement improvements at every level of the club. As far as I can see he hasn’t set up any initiatives whatsoever and has actively destroyed all the foundations the previous manager put in place. Would killl to have the guy that S’land now have in charge. An actual football knowlegeable owner putting the right people in charge. Can there have ever been a worse and more ingnorant trinity than Ashley, Charnley and Bruce?

Apr 3, 2021 at 10:36 AM

Theres no point sitting him on the bench agaisnt Spurs
    Joe isnt going to trouble them
    Carrol will
    Why wait till the last 30 mins ?

If he runs out of steam replace him with Joe
    At least he will have roughed em up a bit for him

• Rotonda heights