web analytics

Poll – Who Was Newcastle’s Man Of The Match In 2-2 Draw Against Spurs?

Steve Bruce made some important changes that paid massive dividends as Newcastle were able to get an unexpected point against Spurs. Despite reverting to a back five, Newcastle pushed up the pitch and were on the front foot for much of the match.

Jacob Murphy, Matt Ritchie, and Sean Longstaff all came in from the cold to put in excellent performances. Ritchie and Murphy got up the pitch to launch 16 crosses between them while Longstaff provided a superb assist on Joelinton’s goal.

The Brazilian played extremely well pairing with Dwight Gayle upfront. He took his goal well but both strikers had other opportunities that they probably should have done better with.

However, all the lads fought to the bitter end. Except for a spell of poor defending after our opening goal, Newcatsle may have come away with more than a point. To be honest, Spurs were not very good and were there for the taking.

We’ll take the point for now and hope it’s enough to keep us out of the bottom three. If Fulham pick up a win at Aston Villa, then they will jump us in the table.

Even if that happens, we should get Callum Wilson back for Burnley next weekend while Allan Saint-Maximin has an extra week to prepare for a potential start. The Frenchman was very good in his cameo this afternoon as was Joe Willock who rescued a point with his late equalizer.

Who Was Newcastle's Man Of The Match In 2-2 Draw Against Spurs?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Mund

Apr 4, 2021 at 4:35 PM

First time I’ve voted for Big Joe as MOTM and a well deserved nomination

• The Prince's Mate

Apr 4, 2021 at 4:36 PM

Does anyone honestly know what “the plate” is that all go getters in life are expected to step up to??
    If any bugger stepped on my plates they’d all be broken….stupid…

• The Prince's Mate

Apr 4, 2021 at 4:37 PM

I’d have nowt to put my sarnies on

• Mund

Apr 4, 2021 at 4:41 PM

Step up to the plate is an idiom that originated in America. An idiom is a word, group of words or phrase that has a figurative meaning that is not easily deduced from its literal definition. … The phrase step up to the plate means to take responsibility for something, to rise to the occasion, to accept a challenge.

• Mund

Apr 4, 2021 at 4:43 PM

Princes I think your best China is safe mate 😉 :thumb up thingy:

• Tackle from behind

Apr 4, 2021 at 4:43 PM

Step up to the plate originates from Baseball.

The Plate is the square that the batter stands on for the pitch.

Stepping up to the plate means be brave – step up and try to hit the ball etc.

• Zele

Apr 4, 2021 at 4:44 PM

Step up to the plate is (I think) from Baseball.

• Tackle from behind

Apr 4, 2021 at 4:45 PM

The Plate was also mentioned in Planet of the Apes when Charlton Heston asked for a plate to eat his food from when he was captured by the Apes.

“Give me the plate – I’m not an animal” he said.

unfortunately that bit was edited out of the film.

• The Prince's Mate

Apr 4, 2021 at 4:46 PM

MOM to Jinky Joe…wow, he scores for us every time Haleys Comet passes… .I know I know…I’m 66 and allowed to be synical…aren’t i ?

• matias

Apr 4, 2021 at 4:46 PM

Murphy MoM for me. I`m glad he’s takin the opportunity with both hands.

Glad to see respect for Joelinton too! Deserved too today.

• Marmike

Apr 4, 2021 at 4:47 PM

‘stepping up to the plate’ refers to baseball – a batter steps up to the plate to take his swings at the ball.
    Joelinton played well today, pity he didn’t convert that second one.
    Murphy needs to start every game!
    Richie plays as if he really wants to win!
    Almiron – great effort.
    Dubravka – a bit dodgy.
    There is still hope if they continue to play like that.

• scott

Apr 4, 2021 at 4:47 PM

That team performance has given me hope,for the first time in a while they showed some fight & didn’t let their heads drop,just wish we could cut out the defensive mistakes!

• Rotonda heights

Apr 4, 2021 at 4:47 PM

No 2 ways, that was better today. We don’t currently have an available ball playing CB who can bring the ball out when we’re playing a back 5, but today Murphy and Ritchie both got forward well.

Murphy seems to have got some confidence and can beat his man.
    Ritchie is limited but gives us a bit of fight.
    Joe ran both channels well and kept switching tirelessly.
    Almiron just never stops.

Only real disappointments were Kraft and Gayle who just aren’t PL standard and don’t have the awareness and reaction speed at this level. The PL game now is also too fast for Shelvey.

However, Murphy, Willock, ASM, Wilson, Miggy give some hope we can beat tthe drop, even with bruce.

WL

Not just grealish and villa, I’d say CP and Zaha were a one man team too

• Zele

Apr 4, 2021 at 4:48 PM

Another expression from sport is ‘back to square one’ which I believe comes from football when radio commenters divided the pitch into squares to help the listeners figure out where the ball was.

• The Prince's Mate

Apr 4, 2021 at 4:50 PM

Mund, cheers…I know what the plate is ,thought I’d have a bit Sunday afternoon fun (I’m bored) thanks to all the guys having the interest to reply…cheers folks

• Mund

Apr 4, 2021 at 4:51 PM

Princes, I know mate just having a bit of fun 😎

• Tackle from behind

Apr 4, 2021 at 4:51 PM

Spot on Zele

• RToon

Apr 4, 2021 at 4:52 PM

Fair play to the lads. A lot better today.

How can we play like that Vs Spurs and then the opposite Vs Brighton?

Stick with the back 3 if thats the difference. Just need to drop Krafth.

• The Prince's Mate

Apr 4, 2021 at 4:52 PM

Zele, I think your “spot on” there mate….I wonder where the saying spot on came frrrrrrr…..allllllll get me coat like

• Tackle from behind

Apr 4, 2021 at 4:53 PM

Fulham playing this game a little more cagey than recent games.

Wonder if their nerves are starting to fray?

• Mag52

Apr 4, 2021 at 4:53 PM

My vote for mom has gone to Almiron who seems back to his Duracell bunny best. His header off the goal line at 1-2 was crucial.
    Murphy was good. Why he doesn’t get more starts is a mystery. Joelinton also had a good game and should have had at least a couple of goals.
    Longstaff, apart from the pass to set up the first goal, was poor, and Dubravka doesn’t seem to have recovered his early season form as yet.

• Tackle from behind

Apr 4, 2021 at 4:54 PM

TPM

Spot on originated from cats and dogs getting fleas.

• WLtoon

Apr 4, 2021 at 4:54 PM

A MOM award for Joe could do the world of good for the lads confidence, and the better Joe plays the better it is for the team. Add Wilson to the equation and all might be not lost.
    We have been here many times before though so……

• chancel be a fine thing

Apr 4, 2021 at 4:54 PM

A much more pleasant watching experience than usual. Happy for Jo to score and set one up, I do feel he gets harshly treated on here.
    I’m not getting too carried away mind, as Spurs are one of the few teams who drop off and allow the other teams to play. It seems as if we are incapable of making passes when a bit of pressure is applied
    Hoping for a big Villa win for a better than expected weekend.

• martoon

Apr 4, 2021 at 4:55 PM

Zele@14 – Interesting that – I always assumed it came from Board games such as Snakes & Ladders!

• Tackle from behind

Apr 4, 2021 at 4:55 PM

Actually Spot on has it’s origins with the game Billiards

• The Prince's Mate

Apr 4, 2021 at 4:56 PM

Mund, fun is good yeah? Forces a crease on peoples faces aka a smile.
    Helps your follicles.. ooh err misssus
    and generally helps you feel better
    Then…..we talk about Mr Bruce….

• Tackle from behind

Apr 4, 2021 at 4:57 PM

Mr Bruce has his origins in a cabbage field in Cheshire

• The Prince's Mate

Apr 4, 2021 at 4:59 PM

Tackle @26
    You make me smile… I was actually extracting filtered bodily fluid, but I’m pleased your on here, I like your posts

• Tackle from behind

Apr 4, 2021 at 4:59 PM

My favourite is “not room to swing a cat” which I always thought had a literal meaning, but no, it’s maritime.

• Zele

Apr 4, 2021 at 4:59 PM

Martoon,

The term probably came from a board game such as snakes and ladders or from a street game such as hopscotch, where an unlucky throw of dice or a marker forces the player to begin the course all over again.

It was adopted by British sportscasters in the 1930s, when the printed radio program would include a numbered grid of a soccer (football) field to help listeners follow the game broadcasts. The same sense is conveyed by back to the drawing board,

• WLtoon

Apr 4, 2021 at 4:59 PM

Steve Bruce talking to his son as he gets to the age of 16.

` I see you are sprouting up son`

• ChicoUSA

Apr 4, 2021 at 5:00 PM

Mag52 @21
    Good assessment!

• The Prince's Mate

Apr 4, 2021 at 5:02 PM

Tackle…yes Bruce must have a few hundred acres to plant cabbages, which makes me wonder why he puts himself and family through all of this negativity?

• Tackle from behind

Apr 4, 2021 at 5:02 PM

TPM

Cheers mate — keep smiling.

• Mund

Apr 4, 2021 at 5:03 PM

Funny Ritchie response from the cross for the equaliser, camera stays on him

• Tackle from behind

Apr 4, 2021 at 5:03 PM

Do you think Bruce makes the sign of the cross every time he sees coleslaw?

• Mund

Apr 4, 2021 at 5:03 PM

SB on injuries:

“Andy Carroll picked up a calf injury. Ryan Fraser picked up a groin injury while he was away with Scotland and hasn’t trained for a few days. Fede Fernández felt his calf again too.”

• Mund

Apr 4, 2021 at 5:04 PM

Steve Bruce on #NEWTOT.

“I thought our performance was enough to win the match so there’s a tinge of disappointment. I was delighted with the response of the team. They kept at it and got something out of the game which was vitally important.”

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 4, 2021 at 5:04 PM

Tfb,
    “Give me the plate – I’m not an animal” he said.

unfortunately that bit was edited out of the film”
    Wtf ha ha lol lol 😀