web analytics

Injured Magpie Is Desperate To Return Before Season Ends

Allan Saint-Maximin made his return after missing three matches with his groin injury. The Frenchman came on in the second half with Newcastle down 2-1 to provide a push down the stretch for the equalizer.

Saint-Maximin played his part as he started the move that ended up with Joe Willock’s leveler with just minutes left on the clock. Newcastle were able to see out the match for the unexpected point.

Callum Wilson was not involved though he is ramping up his efforts in training. The striker could be back for the monumental match at Burnley next weekend. Wilson has missed 7 matches since injuring his hamstring in the first half against Southampton, which was also our last win.

Another Magpie who was injured in that match has now given an update on his progress. Fabian Schar injured his knee in the second half against the Saints which left Newcastle down to just 9 men to see out that match.

Fabian’s injury required surgery and it’s now been almost two months that we’ve been without our Swiss defender. Schar is in a fight against time to return this season with just 8 matches remaining.

However, the 29-year-old remains fully focused on coming back before the end of this campaign to help Newcastle if he can. Here is Schar’s update on his rehabilitation which he gave while answering questions for NUFC fans on Zoom.

“At the minute I’m quite happy where I am after now 7 weeks after my surgery. For the last 5 to 6 weeks I was working hard in Switzerland.

“The only aim I had was to do as many hours in the rehab as possible. I’m on the right way.

“There’s a bit to do and it’s going to be tight for some games this season.

“Obviously, it’s my aim to help the team at the end of the season. I will do everything to try. I can’t exactly say if it’s possible or not.”

Newcastle have reportedly triggered an extension clause in Fabian’s contract so he’ll return for next season. Whether he can play a part in our last few games seems doubtful at the moment.

Newcastle also have Fede Fernandez who’s not played in 13 matches. Fernandez was unavailable for the Tottenham draw after picking up a calf injury in training. Hopefully, that won’t keep him out for too long.

As for Schar, he seems desperate to get back not only for Newcastle but also to represent Switzerland in the European Championships this summer.

Hopefully, Fabian will be able to return before the season ends, especially if Bruce is going to continue with the 5-3-2 formation that was brought back for Spurs.

Here is the full video of Fabian answering fan questions on Zoom.

Who Was Newcastle's Man Of The Match In 2-2 Draw Against Spurs?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• SholaShow

Apr 5, 2021 at 1:54 PM

For crying out loud.

I can’t stay away for any real length of time whilst our future is so up in the air. Feels like this moment in history is peak NUFC – teetering between a sublime future or a tragic one and it’s all in the hands of Steve chuffing Bruce to keep us up and then a shadowy arbitration panel.

We HAVE to stay up. The latest I’ve read on the arbitration confirms PIF are still at the table and makes me believe we will hear something approximately June, but that is surely contingent on our continued PL status because I just cannot see PIF being interested in a Championship club, no matter which angle I look at it from.

PHUCK!

Looking at our fixtures I have us on 36 going into the Fulham match at best and them on 33 at best. I REALLY hope that isn’t the case. I want safety before that.

Next season is either going to be Championship football with Bruce or more likely another duffer, or PL football as the richest club in the world under somebody like Rafa or Mourinho.

That’s where we’re at.

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 5, 2021 at 2:05 PM

Arbitration in June now, when’s season ticket renewal time?

• Scythe For Bruce

Apr 5, 2021 at 2:05 PM

*sigh* People need to grasp the reality that there’s not going to be a takeover that makes us the ‘richest club in the world’ and that next season is either going to be Ashley/Bruce in the Championship or more struggling with Ashley/Bruce in the Premier League.

Sure, if you want to believe that this PIF thing is actually happening then fair enough, but you’re deluded if you think things will change at our club in the near future.

• Just a Fat Dave Bassett

Apr 5, 2021 at 2:08 PM

Clark was dropped for tactical reasons Id say. The formation seemed like a compromise between what Bruce wants and what Jones wants. Jones wants 433 with very attacking fullbacks, but Bruce is too hesitant and picks ultra defensive fullbacks which defeats the purpose. So you go three at back, putting in two guys who can play both fullback and centre, which allows wingbacks to attack at will. It was the 433 Jones would like to play, but with one of the midfielders moved into defence to please Bruce. Almost 3412 depending on how you view Almirons position. I think Bruce was simply unwilling to go with very attacking fullbacks in a 433 so this was the only solution apart from reverting to 541 or other hated formations which he wouldn’t dare.

• WWSBRD

Apr 5, 2021 at 2:09 PM

Arbitration hasn’t even started yet has it? Wont be pushing it until PL status is confirmed, no point in wasting the money for Ashley until then. Any Saudi takeover is likely off for me, been too long now and there is no end in sight even now

Ashley and Bruce for a long time yet

• Just a Fat Dave Bassett

Apr 5, 2021 at 2:10 PM

Best off just completely ignoring the takeover until it happens. If it happens you win, if it doesn’t no heartbreak.

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 5, 2021 at 2:14 PM

WW…
    Is that really you?

• Just a Fat Dave Bassett

Apr 5, 2021 at 2:15 PM

Shola, it’s the worst possible time to have brought in a manager 10-15 years past his best, whose best was a 2nd place finish in the Championship twice (with teams down as bookies favourites both times I think). Farke by comparison had won that league twice out of possibly two attempts, and Norwich weren’t even amongst favourites first time. And as a bonus he didn’t do it playing awful football.

• SholaShow

Apr 5, 2021 at 2:16 PM

Scythe

Well I had that attitude for the past month.

It’s pretty clear however, PIF are still there if you look at the content of the arbitration remit made public. Some of the points being contested are only worthwhile to contest eg (getting the PL to recognise the separation of PIF from the State) if PIF are still at the table, else it’s a moot point.

Also, the likes of Staveley’s husband and Nick De Marco appear invested in NUFC’s fate beyond what is required of them and what they otherwise would be at this stage, imo, if the takeover was dead.

If it’s not done by pre-season, no matter what league we’re in I’m through with football until Mike Ashley leaves.

• WWSBRD

Apr 5, 2021 at 2:16 PM

JfA
    My biannual appearance on the blog has come up again mate. How are you keeping sir?

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 5, 2021 at 2:26 PM

Who knows what to believe, if PIF were still there but would walk away if we were relegated, would he not have done a bit more in January to strengthen the team, even via a loan. If they are going to buy us if relegated surely the price will drop considerably, again, would he not have done a bit more to ensure survival.

• Mund

Apr 5, 2021 at 2:26 PM

There would be no need for a legal case to prove separation if PIF were not at the table

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 5, 2021 at 2:28 PM

WW…,
    I’m good, here as always, .ore importantly, how are you, where have you been?

• Just a Fat Dave Bassett

Apr 5, 2021 at 2:29 PM

Doesn’t Ashley get compensation if it’s proved? Ive not been following the legal bids so not the most knowlegeable on the subject.

• Munster Mag

Apr 5, 2021 at 2:29 PM

If we do get the takeover, I don’t think the saudis aim to make us “the richest club in the world” anyway, which isn’t an issue for me anyway.

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 5, 2021 at 2:30 PM

It would if he had to prove it to get compo.

• Just a Fat Dave Bassett

Apr 5, 2021 at 2:32 PM

Id assume proving that would help his case.

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 5, 2021 at 2:32 PM

WW…,
    Too many good posters like yourself missing from the fore these days.

• Mund

Apr 5, 2021 at 2:32 PM

But it’s not for compo

• WWSBRD

Apr 5, 2021 at 2:33 PM

PIF are also at Inters door looking to invest and will face far less push back over piracy and wider issues with Saudi involvement I imagine

I dont think they particularly care about Newcastle, its a product they want to buy not a new home

• Regan

Apr 5, 2021 at 2:33 PM

Quick glance at the FPL table…
    Up to 22nd at the minute with Bowen left to play..

Not too shabby for a know nowt that mind..

• Just a Fat Dave Bassett

Apr 5, 2021 at 2:33 PM

I’d be far happier with a chairman like Brentford, Barnsley, or the Red Bull teams coming in and using brains instead of billions.

• Mund

Apr 5, 2021 at 2:34 PM

Munster if the Saudis do takeover we will be the richest club in the world the moment they get the keys.

• Mund

Apr 5, 2021 at 2:35 PM

WWSBRD

No they are not. Inter knocked on there door to seek investment like they did with many investment companies.

• Just a Fat Dave Bassett

Apr 5, 2021 at 2:36 PM

Like I said I don’t know anything. Just thought Id read Ashley wanted compensation. Knowing Ashley he’s more interested in revenge than money.

• WWSBRD

Apr 5, 2021 at 2:36 PM

JfA
    Good to hear, still a regular on here? I am keeping well mate though I must admit first time I have been on here in a good few months. The Bruce period has been damaging to how closely I follow Newcastle I am afraid

Too kind calling me a good poster though haha general gobbey get more accurate

• Mund

Apr 5, 2021 at 2:37 PM

JAFDB do you know Ashley?

• Just a Fat Dave Bassett

Apr 5, 2021 at 2:40 PM

I work for him. I have a nice PR position.

• WWSBRD

Apr 5, 2021 at 2:40 PM

Mund
    Could be either way mate but end result is PIF are in talks with Inter from what I have read

• Mund

Apr 5, 2021 at 2:41 PM

Well him he owes a few quid to a few on here

• The mighty wyn

Apr 5, 2021 at 2:42 PM

The arbitration case is purely to determine if it and saudi state is seperate in law. If proved seperate no reason for any director to fail the o and d test.
    This was stated in the press release following the attempt to have the chair removed.
    If ashley wanted compensation he would first have to win this and then take the epl to court
    The arbitration panel cannot award compensation.

• Mund

Apr 5, 2021 at 2:43 PM

WWSBRD

The talks where for a 30% stake not full takeover and even if that did happen it wouldn’t scupper the chances of a takeover of our club .

• The mighty wyn

Apr 5, 2021 at 2:43 PM

WW – the interest in inter is for a minority 30 per cent share from what I have read , which they can still have even if owning us outright

• Mund

Apr 5, 2021 at 2:45 PM

TMW

Exactly and why would there be need to prove this if PIF are off the table? I think a few fans are confused on this.

• Mund

Apr 5, 2021 at 2:45 PM

Snap

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 5, 2021 at 2:52 PM

Regan,
    I couldn’t bring myself to captain Kane and it has cost me 🙁

• WWSBRD

Apr 5, 2021 at 2:52 PM

Mund/wyn
    I read the same but nothing to say that isnt a foot in the door with a longer view to takeover fully, this again wouldnt stop a Newcastle takeover but it a strange move if they are all in on Newcastle (I personally dont think they are)

They want a product to sell themselves and make money, they dont really care what product they buy as long as it fulfils that need for me. They want a PL club and there are few that offer that without a ridiculous price tag but they were arrogant about the entire thing and now had their hands burnt

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Apr 5, 2021 at 2:54 PM

3 at the back does seem to suit our players they just seem to click into gear when that formation kicks in not sure if it’s because Rafa had them doing it for the last 6 months of his tenure?

It only really works when you have 2 wingbacks going forward which to often under Bruce he would have say an attacking wingback like Yedlin and then Dummett on the other side which leaves us unbalanced

Richie can play that left wingback role in the Premiership his pace doesn’t get exposed and he can just cross into the box we had more bodies in which meant his crosses didn’t just get cleared same with Murphy

1 2 3 5