web analytics

Poll – How Will Newcastle Fare At Burnley On Sunday?

Newcastle are coming off an unexpected result after taking a point against Tottenham on Sunday. The lads redeemed themselves somewhat after the no-show at Brighton two weeks before.

However, it’ll take more than a draw at home to Spurs to clear the lingering stench from the performance put in at the Amex. This weekend represents a prime opportunity to make the air a little bit sweeter for Newcastle fans.

The Magpies travel to Turf Moor to take on Burnley in the early match this Sunday. This match again has heightened importance due to the following four being against clubs in the top half of the table.

So Burnley could represent our best chance to pick up that elusive win until the penultimate match of the season against Sheffield. Then the season’s final day is the showdown at Fulham which currently looms very large.

A result at Turf Moor will ensure that Newcastle remain above the Cottagers for at least another week. This time the lads will know what they have to do to prevent dropping into the bottom three as Fulham take on Wolves at Craven Cottage this Friday.

This could represent a problem similar to the one we faced at Brighton. Fulham had lost to Leeds before we faced the Seagulls ensuring Newcastle would remain out of the bottom three for the international break. That may have played a part in our anemic performance.

Another issue is that the lads don’t always turn up in matches they are expected to get a result in. That was not a problem against Spurs and we saw a competent and fiery display. Burnley are only four points ahead in the table and are coming off a defeat at Southampton.

The lads must keep the momentum going and pick up a result on Sunday. A win is really what is needed with the difficult fixtures on the horizon. However, a draw will keep Fulham at bay but will be a big disappointment should Fulham beat Wolves in two days.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Burnley On Sunday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Regan

Apr 7, 2021 at 2:08 PM

Mags..
    Used to love all that on match day mate..

I dont miss them cauliflower ears for being late home though..

• Regan

Apr 7, 2021 at 2:11 PM

It’s only an opinionated debate Bob…

It’s what keeps the blog going mate..

• Tackle from behind

Apr 7, 2021 at 2:11 PM

Carltoon

More than happy to help if I can.
    Technology is useful only if you can use it.

I can help with Firestick too if needed – maybe get your Mobdro working again or get you switched to Pluto and you can watch the USA streams – same game – just different commentators.

• Adamn_92

Apr 7, 2021 at 2:12 PM

When you post an opinion or view on a public forum it is always going to be open to debate and to be criticised. I fully open myself up to the same criticism for being down south so rarely ever making a match. Different views and debating them is absolutely fine and this is the perfect place for it. It’s when somebody takes it too far and becomes aggressive, takes the ‘holier than thou’ approach or starts insulting others that it becomes an issue. We all have our own takes on boycotting matches and that’s absolutely fine, we should be able to talk about our stand point and not feel attacked by someone who shares an opposite opinion on it. Good debate is healthy, just don’t make it personal or try to impose your view on someone else.

• geordietom

Apr 7, 2021 at 2:12 PM

Cant believe people are having a go at posters for going to games ,

1 , its their money they can spend it on whatever the want ,

2, its about getting out and meeting old friends and making new friends .

3, its a religion to us its OUR TEAM , OUR CITY ,

If i lived closer id be at every home game …

• Rotonda heights

Apr 7, 2021 at 2:14 PM

In conclusion we all moan daily about ash, charnley and bruce.

After the brutality of forcing rafa out, the words of KK ring so true: ” he has created an empire of self harm” .

Despite several previous tipping points, pushing RB out was the point we knew we’d get a rubbish replacement and the football would become turgid and unwatchable.

Would never dream of boycotting under kk, sbr and rb, but this nonsense under bruce isn’t watching a team looking to win and entertain, it’s sports direct fc until a white knight appears.

• cleveleysbob

Apr 7, 2021 at 2:15 PM

I’ve been lucky enough to get a few corporate invites over the years to matches, some at SJP but also at Old Trafford and Anfield, when I lived in the North West and I took my son with me having already indoctrinated him into life at SJP.

When you go to things like that you get stuck in seats, surrounded by ManU or Liverpool fans, but me and Wor lad always went with our scarfs/tops etc and shouted like hell for United. Got some funny looks but mostly rival fans were OK.

What struck me, always, was the passion, noise and support from the band of away supporters, they were always bloody magnificent, something to be truly proud of.

• magscar

Apr 7, 2021 at 2:15 PM

Bob

yeah maybe we shouldn’t taking things personally on here but it is very difficult not to when you have the finger very definitely pointed at you as being responsible for Ashley still being here as carltoon Martoon Bobbybee (and myself season or so back I suppose). And actually it has at times been personal to some posters

Not including you in the stone throwing mob but there are some who post on here who may not personally attack likes of carltoon and Martoon but by implication they do.

Sheep is an oft used word – more like scapegoats

Those who still go and pass on their passion will be vital in rebuilding when he finally goes

• onmeedsun

Apr 7, 2021 at 2:16 PM

The only way of guaranteeing an empty ground is for fans to buy the tickets and not use them. £30 wasted? I’d sacrifice a game. But we all have to do it. Would I boycott a whole season? No, as I’d miss it and ultimately that just makes us less competitive.

• Adamn_92

Apr 7, 2021 at 2:20 PM

Also:

Thinking a full boycott is a good idea ? thinking you’re the antichrist if you attend games

• Adamn_92

Apr 7, 2021 at 2:21 PM

Ok i don’t know why it posted it as a ‘?’ as it was meant to be a ‘does not equal sign’ haha

• magscar

Apr 7, 2021 at 2:23 PM

Bob

I’ve been in home end of several grounds as an away supporter but never in Corporate( sorry was once at Grimsby) but I never wore scarf or colours

For a start you wouldn’t likely have got through the turnstiles and if you did cheering your team would get you a pasting unless you were fortunate enough to be thrown out by stewards for your own good

My then teenage son was worried at a match at Ayresome Park just bcause i had my NUFC socks on Not that he need have worried nowt to cheer and we were soundly beaten

All wrong off course but that was life then and probably still is the reality in the cheap seats

• Rotonda heights

Apr 7, 2021 at 2:23 PM

Mund

Bruce had had 980 games as a manager but he’s still sh-te. I’ve 51 years supporting nufc but still wanting to go and see the current garbage while keeping ashley here any longer than need be isn’t the smartest thing to do imho. If fans really wanted him gone there would have been an empty stadium ages ago.

• cleveleysbob

Apr 7, 2021 at 2:26 PM

I hope you’re right Magscar, I remember the noise passion and out of your seat moments, and standing being swayed and moved around by the Ebb and flow of the game, sometimes lifted off you feet and moving several yards before you came back to earth!! Fabulous.

As a mostly (stream) tv watcher these days, I’ve been aware of a much quieter ground (apart from Rafa’s time) than what I remember, and I hope we get rid of Ashley soon and get back to the the deafening wall of sound we were famous for in the past.

• Regan

Apr 7, 2021 at 2:29 PM

Anyway..I’m away for a bath..

It’s not pennywell ya nah..

Later.

• HpoolMag

Apr 7, 2021 at 2:33 PM

Can someone answer me what is probably a stupid question
    If the problem of the takeover was purely from the buyers side (pif) & the seller (fat lad) has absolutely no issues with the PL why is it that the seller is seeking arbitration, should it not be the buyers that are pushing for it

• Tackle from behind

Apr 7, 2021 at 2:36 PM

Arbitration was offered to PiF just prior to their pulling out.

Ashley – as the seller took up the right to arbitration to get the answer to the question of separation of PiF and the State.

Why? – So he can complete the sale.

• cleveleysbob

Apr 7, 2021 at 2:38 PM

Ha ha, Magscar, I do remember stuff like that. A mate of mine got me 2 tickets to see Us v Sheffield wed at SJP but amongst the away supporters, before they were consigned to the Gods.

We didn’t wear our colours that day, but gave everything away when we cheered us scoring, very scary!!

• Tackle from behind

Apr 7, 2021 at 2:38 PM

Anyone know when the decision will be made on whether fans can get into grounds for the last 1 or 2 games?

• Tackle from behind

Apr 7, 2021 at 2:41 PM

I see Keven de Bruyne has signed up with City till 2025.

All the journos that had a story linking him with the Toon will have to re-write their articles now.

• cleveleysbob

Apr 7, 2021 at 2:41 PM

HpoolMag, the PIF would never enter arbitration, which effectively starts with the assumption that they lied to the PL.

It could only continue the process, by Ashley taking up the challenge, I suspect there’s a deal between them over costs, but that’s just guesswork.

• magscar

Apr 7, 2021 at 2:41 PM

Bob

That ebb and flow and dancing down the terrace to nearest concrete or metal bar ( and then back up again) – all involuntary was the every home Saturday ( and odd Wednesday night) match experience in Leazes of between 20000 and 30000

Long gone but there was still lots of passion and singing when I had my season ticket in Gallowgate in 90’s but afraid much quieter in the upper echelons of family areas in recent years.

Until some form of safe standing returns ( not for me these days) those times won’t fully return. Not the terrace dance though but the swaying bring it on

• HpoolMag

Apr 7, 2021 at 2:42 PM

Tfb thanks but just doesn’t make sense in my tiny mind. PL offer something to one party, they refuse so the other party takes it up, like I said though probably a stupid question

• cleveleysbob

Apr 7, 2021 at 2:48 PM

Magscar, the company in Hexham that makes gazillions of tons of chipboard Eggar, I think they’re called and they’re Austrian. They used to have a box at SJP and because the company I worked for was also Austrian and the bosses were “old pals”, I occasionally got 2 x tickets to watch games from there.

Nice bit of buffet prior and during game, but almost no atmosphere, you lose it in those cubicles, you feel cut off, not involved, weird feeling, May as well watch on the telly.

• magscar

Apr 7, 2021 at 2:49 PM

Anyway enough nostalgia – later maybe

• Tackle from behind

Apr 7, 2021 at 2:49 PM

HartlepoolMag

se also C/Bobs response @101

The PiF got to the point where the PL were asking too many impertinent questions.
    This is a Kingdom with Royalty, and they were NOT going to be treat like liars and called criminals and have to justify themselves to a sporting organisation – it is so beneath them.

So, they pulled out citing economical (rhymes with comical) reasons.

This way they save face – something extremely important in their culture.

I imagine they had discussions with Staveley, the Ruebens and Ashley.

So, Ashley then picked up the baton and went for the arbitration – probably after advice (and a slice of sourdough loaf) from de Marco

• cleveleysbob

Apr 7, 2021 at 2:53 PM

Tfb, perfectly summed up mate. 😉

• Optimistic prime

Apr 7, 2021 at 2:55 PM

Shame the people who organised protests etc didn’t receive the same support as match goers do.

The abuse myself and others received repeatedly for trying to get fans to join in was unreal,, very few backed us up.

Bit like the NUST, fans are stronger United, shame the NUST turn their backs against any protest against the owner or club, UNITED you say, lol.

NUST should be a voice for the fans, instead it’s a way for certain folk to keep on good term with the club and PL..

It’s up to each supporter whether they go to games.

Claiming you’re going for club employees etc is utter shite, you a martyr?

I don’t think I’ve read any poster telling anyone not to go, suggested people stop, yes definitely.

If you’re getting upset by someone saying fans shouldn’t go to games, maybe it’s hitting a nerve, deep down you agree.

Anyone who goes to matches goes for themselves, unless they’re a carer of kids or a disabled fan.

Take responsibility!

• Tackle from behind

Apr 7, 2021 at 3:07 PM

OP

I Agree with that.

NUST don’t want to protest (or back a protest) because that would alienate them from the club and their aim was to get closer to the club – even have board representation – which is noble and admirable just as it is impossible under this owner – that’s why, in their current format, they are utterly useless.

• John Tudor

Apr 7, 2021 at 3:09 PM

No deal no sale for ud

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 7, 2021 at 3:11 PM

Can people just jump off the bandwagon here and stop having a go at the posters allegedly having a go at posters who go to matches. It is someone’s opinion that by continually giving Ashley money you are prolonging his stay, it doesn’t look like a personal attack.

• Tackle from behind

Apr 7, 2021 at 3:17 PM

I don’t have an issue with anyone who want to go to a game – it’s an entertaining way to spend your time – just like a day at the beach, a trip to the country or going to a theme park etc.

But to continuously go when you are not being entertained, being ripped off and maligned by the club owner who knows you’ll be back next week and again next season is akin to addiction.

Like a smoker who coughs their guts up as they light the next cigarette and say, I could give up any day – I just don’t want to – or why should I give up, it’s my only pleasure.

• Mund

Apr 7, 2021 at 3:24 PM

Jail is it not then someone’s opinion that it isn’t right to have a go at other fans for continuing to go?

Swings and roundabouts

It’s all an opinion

• lochinvar

Apr 7, 2021 at 3:24 PM

Just read that Bruce has never spoken to Kyle Scott.

That’s an appalling indictment of his lack of social and management skills.

He should know of everyone in the club and make it his business to speak to every player on the books about how he sees their careers and potential being developed.

Dinosaur is too good a description of how he operates.

A compete failure in even the basics of management.

• Mund

Apr 7, 2021 at 3:25 PM

A lot of fans seem to know the right course of action to remove Ashley, well that’s what they believe but my question is if you say this is one of the main place for Newcastle United fans to come to then why hasn’t any of these ideas worked or come to fruition?

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 7, 2021 at 3:26 PM

It is Mund,
    But it looked like to me that a few people were jumping on a bandwagon to court favour, that is my observation.

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 7, 2021 at 3:27 PM

Who says this is the main place for Newcastle fans to come?

• Mund