web analytics

Pundit Has Newcastle Stretching Winless Streak To Eight But There Are Some Positives

BBC Pundit Mark Lawrenson has given his predictions for this weekend’s Premier League matches. He has Newcastle picking up a 1-1 draw at Burnley on Sunday.

Here is the reasoning Lawro gives behind his prediction:

A win would be a massive boost for Newcastle in their relegation battle. Similarly for Burnley, a victory for them would as good as put them safe.

The Magpies were decent in their draw with Tottenham last weekend and I think they will build on that by getting something here. I just don’t see Burnley being beaten though.

We suppose a draw wouldn’t be the end of the world. It would ensure that we remain ahead of Fulham for at least another week. If Fulham win on Friday at home against Wolves, we would be momentarily in the bottom three heading into the match. Lawrenson has Fulham losing 1-0 tomorrow.

However, another draw would stretch our winless stretch to eight matches which starts to rival the 11-match winless streak that got us into this mess in the first place. This is also our best opportunity to pick up three points for quite some time as the next four matches are against teams in the top half of the table.

We’ll likely find out tomorrow if Callum Wilson will be available for Sunday. The return of our star striker could be a game-changer for this one. If he’s not ready just yet, we could see Bruce field a similar team and system that played well and picked up a point against Spurs last weekend.

Whatever team Bruce fields, the minimum is to put in a performance to match last Sunday’s. This team needs to show that they can find some consistency down the stretch. That has not been the case thus far this season.

Incidentally, Lawro was pitted against American actor Steve Guttenberg of Police Academy fame. He has Newcastle winning 2-0 on Sunday. That would be such a monumental outcome for Newcastle United.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Burnley On Sunday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• jane

Apr 8, 2021 at 6:18 PM

trying to understand this development. if PIF takeover and NUST raise £3m they will buy a 1% share from PIF for a seat on the board. is that the gist of it?

• jane

Apr 8, 2021 at 6:20 PM

“Lawrenson has Fulham losing 1-0 tomorrow”

yessss

• WLtoon

Apr 8, 2021 at 6:22 PM

magicmac from previous@290

What there is not to like as far as i am concerned is where my hard earned money could end up, even in the hands of a charity that is not of my choice makes me think twice about donating.
    I have sponsored charities for years but they were my choices, and had reasons for choosing them.
    If i gave £100 to NUST i honestly think it will be total waste of money.
    Ile bide my time and see how this pans out magicmac, i might change my mind

• IrishRob

Apr 8, 2021 at 6:30 PM

Jail they want you to pay for them to buy shares! Seems to me like nothing more than a way to generate revenue from shares, as they would never be able to afford or get enough shares to actually make a difference to the running of the club so why the push for tiny amounts of shares that they are asking other people to pay for.

Sorry but In my opinion you’re very foolish to hand over money to them like that, especially knowing what Hibbit just said about no refunds etc, you won’t be buying shares for yourself you’ll be buying them for NUST. And if it doesn’t work out they get to keep the money anyways.

Seems almost like a scam(not saying it is, but its not far from it) won’t be going anywhere near it with my bank details.

PASSSS!!!

• Novocastrian66

Apr 8, 2021 at 6:30 PM

I don’t want to own a part of Newcastle United or any other football club.
    I’m happy to be a member of the Trust to ensure it has some gravitas when representing the fans. A supporter co-operative is not something I can see getting beyond the launch pad. Nevertheless good luck to every who believes in this approach. Unfortunately I think the club will have to be in a rapid decline to realise their ambitions.

• IrishRob

Apr 8, 2021 at 6:31 PM

I can’t imagine 1% is anywhere near enough to garner a seat on the board, I could be wrong however. But I also can’t imagine owners want a tiny stake holder constantly buzzing around being a nuisance when they won’t even have any power or authority, it sounds to me like it would just be opening the door to a giant pain in the arse. Imagone somone who has (as near as makes no difference) no stake in something you own trying to tell you how to run your business, even with the best intentions they would soon get very tired of it.

Sorry about the reposts, bloody Bus!!

• Mund

Apr 8, 2021 at 6:42 PM

If Staveley and Co takeover I doubt anyone will be buzzing about being nuisances.

In a new era everyone will have there flip flops on for the rest of there days as a fan and sit back and enjoy the ride

• The mighty wyn

Apr 8, 2021 at 6:45 PM

That’s exactly why it seems a strange time to launch this mund
    Surely it would have been better to await the takeover outcome as if it goes through one would hope we dont need to pester them and we would get what we have dreamed of for years

• WLtoon

Apr 8, 2021 at 6:52 PM

Mighty Wyn,

Exactly

• Mund

Apr 8, 2021 at 6:53 PM

TMW

For me with it all it just takes me away from that negative drab feeling the club projects daily and in the end no matter what happens the money will go to charity no doubt spilt between the food bank SBR foundation and many others. But for that short period (if that is the case) the fanbase can feel United and get together for a positive cause and have something to feel good about for a change.

Seeing the legends get involved is a great feeling and I guess I can only speak from my personal feelings on it all and it makes me feel good and I like that as it’s not Bruce and our dire situation but it still involves our club and the fans, just nice to have something else to focus on.

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 8, 2021 at 6:55 PM

IrishRob,
    They have Warren Barton and George Caulkin on the treasury. I can rest assured my money is safe and will be going to a good cause.

• magicmac54

Apr 8, 2021 at 6:58 PM

magicmac54

Apr 8, 2021 at 6:44 PM

WLtoon

Evening mate, i guess i might not have expressed myself properly when i said what is there not to like, it was not a pop at any fan who is very sceptical about this trust NUST launch today, my thinking is simply anything which might possibly improve our club going forward is worth trying, and the fact i only pledged £20 its not going to break the bank, and if its not going to be successful if it goes to charity at the very least thats a good cause, thats all i meant mate.

« Previo

• jon

Apr 8, 2021 at 6:59 PM

Please understand, if you buy a 1% share, this means you are a shareholder, this does not mean you had a seat on the board.

• jon

Apr 8, 2021 at 7:03 PM

As a shareholder, you to get to vote on Directors (every 2 years in rotation), auditors, Chairman and MD

• kc2012

Apr 8, 2021 at 7:04 PM

Why would fat Mike sell a £3m share in the club to a supporters trust when he clearly wants nothing to do with anyone who actually cares about the club. Seems a non starter to me but could be a good idea.

Kind of looks abit like dodgy timing in terms of the Saudi takeover etc though.

• TheTinman

Apr 8, 2021 at 7:12 PM

Had a really busy day at work, was intrigued to read the email this morning and I must say it’s more than what I was expecting.

I think it is showing great enthusiasm and initiative.

Hopefully with some investment from companies, celebrities, ex players we will reach the £3m target.

I do genuinely believe the vast majority of owners would be willing to sell 1% to the fans, whether it is PIF or not. Hell even Ashley might if it meets his valuation…

Yes your individual view will still be worth a pittance. NUST will own 1% so they will gain 1 vote, by then there will probably be 50-100k fans in NUST so your vote will be worth 0.0001% of any NUFC decision. But it is the symbolism this represents. It would attract a far greater number to NUST membership, and if suddenly NUST is 100k+ strong (including all season ticket holders) they then have a great deal of bargaining power, 1% or not. How much easier would it be to arrange a protest or the like when you have the direct contacts of 100k people being led by one group? It may not bring us voting power, but to say it won’t bring us power overall is naïve in my opinion.

If NUST did get that 1% share, then any owner worth their salt would treat it like a 10% share. Why? Because it’s good publicity and helps appease the masses.

I don’t get the scepticism, even if it doesn’t go through your money still goes to a worthwhile cause. I regularly donate to charities through work colleagues doing various fundraisers. I will just reduce that a little this year and give what I can afford.

I’m going to make one lump sum investment to help get the ball rolling and 12 months smaller donations.

• bettyswallocks

Apr 8, 2021 at 7:17 PM

Just got home and wor lass had the music on and was having a bit dance.
    She was really going for it , throwing some shapes and putting some moves together.
    She was embarrassed when she saw Id been watching her so I told her I would give her 9 point 7 for her efforts.
    ” Is that out of ten ? ” she asked.
    ” No the Richter Scale”, I replied.

• The mighty wyn

Apr 8, 2021 at 7:18 PM

Mund I appreciate what you say about a bit of feel good factor
    I just think it’s very strange timing and whilst it could make us look good to the press, it could also end up making us look very bad
    I will probably donate but might give it a little while to see how many of these legends come on board
    I do feel like maybe they should have just done a charity collection

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 8, 2021 at 7:25 PM

From The Ledge
    Liam Kennedy
    @LiamJKennedy23
    In interests of clarity. Some misinformation doing rounds today, which actually detracts from scheme true purpose.

PCP NOT involved, nor have they been informed/consulted/given positive soundings on trust scheme.

Ashley/#NUFC too, NOT in support, although that will surprise few

• captainmarvel

Apr 8, 2021 at 7:27 PM

Well said Tinman, great post..

• Tackle from behind

Apr 8, 2021 at 7:28 PM

I think most of the negative responses to this centre around the “what’s the point in 1%”

Well, even 1% is a stake, gives us a voice and when there is a decision we would be consulted.

They wouldn’t say oh 1% don’t want this because they would know that the 1% represents half a million fans worldwide.

So even at 1% it is about real representation.

I’d like to think it goes way beyond 1% and eventually, like Rangers, we get a big wedge like 25%
    Or better still – kill off Sports Direct FC and we buy the whole club and build it up our way.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Apr 8, 2021 at 7:31 PM

Tried to pledge but they want bank details up front, not going to do that yet.

Happy to do PayPal and that needs to be an option in the initial pledge.

So waiting for that too be incorporated.

Over to you Pledge trust!

• Mister Tuff

Apr 8, 2021 at 7:33 PM

Tinman good post

• Mund

Apr 8, 2021 at 7:37 PM

I gather a few are already watching it but if you ain’t click link as this sounds great and there is no worries whatsoever

• martoon

Apr 8, 2021 at 7:37 PM

EGB – my thoughts exactly – I| said the same earlier.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Apr 8, 2021 at 7:39 PM

And there’s possibly thousands of others thinking along those lines as well so it will be worth the Pledge Trust giving that option.

• IrishRob

Apr 8, 2021 at 7:40 PM

Anyone who turns to me and asks me to pay for them to buy something which they will end up controlling and have zip to do with me is nothing short of begging for money under the guise that (you can have a say) eh! No i can’t have a say, the majority vote will have a say, if they even open it up to a voting system as regards how they move forward.

But the fact they are covering their backs already by saying there will be no recourse or refunds, is beyond sketchy. Its sounding more and more like a way of drumming up money they won’t have to pay back.

Far be it for me to tell anyone how to spend their money, but me personally I wouldn’t touch this with a bargepole Jail, and I’d advise anyone who’s not sure on it to think before you go throwing away cash you will never see again.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Apr 8, 2021 at 7:41 PM

martoon

Yeah I saw that, I’m more than happy to put some cash in but don’t want to give away personal details.

• Tackle from behind

Apr 8, 2021 at 7:43 PM

EGB

I’ve just emailed the Pledge hotline and asked them about a paypal option.
    I’ll let you know when they reply.

• Tackle from behind

Apr 8, 2021 at 7:44 PM

EGB

They’re fluffing fast ……

Thanks for your support and the question.

At present we are using a platform called GoCardless through which you input your bank details and submit the payment. We are looking at alternatives at the moment as those overseas are struggling to make a payment (which we were not expecting).

PayPal take significant percentage of the money so we’re trying to avoid using that platform – but if we have to we will!

I’ll be in touch if we find an alternative soon
    Charlotte

• Mund

Apr 8, 2021 at 7:45 PM

I’d your going to a big opinion I suggest you get all information that is out there and watch that link with Alex Hurst and Greg Tomlinson and then judge as you just ridiculous

• Mund

Apr 8, 2021 at 7:45 PM

Sound ridiculous*

• Essex Geordie Bill

Apr 8, 2021 at 7:46 PM

IrishRob

I get what you are saying and you could be right but it looks like some respected, responsible and trusted people are involved so there would be only a very small risk factor and one worth taking a risk on but I still aint giving out my bank details.

• jane

Apr 8, 2021 at 7:50 PM

Paypal is available to pledge to the Hearts fan group (scroll down).

• Essex Geordie Bill

Apr 8, 2021 at 7:51 PM

Tackle

Cheers mate, I had already emailed them asking that question but didn’t get that reply.

If it’s compromising overseas peoples efforts to pledge then a small loss on PayPal is probably worth doing.

• Mund

Apr 8, 2021 at 7:51 PM

Right to be clear for a few on here the money goes into a a fund into a separate account guarded by there words 4 guardians which consists of Warren Barton, Ian Mearns, George Caulkin and can’t remember the other blokes name and they have full control. NUST cannot touch it. So if in the end it doesn’t work out it will be donated to local charities

• IrishRob

Apr 8, 2021 at 7:51 PM

I heard one of the NUST meets saying “the worst thing thats going to happen is we raise money for chatity”

If they gave assurances that 100% of the money raised will go to various charities if they fail in their attempt to buy shares then I’d feel a lot better about it.

But I’ve a feeling we won’t get anything wrote down on paper in regards to where the money will go, call me pessimistic!

• jane

Apr 8, 2021 at 7:51 PM

fans have bought Hearts for about the same it will cost to own 1% of Newcastle.

• Mund