web analytics

Pundit Has Newcastle Stretching Winless Streak To Eight But There Are Some Positives

BBC Pundit Mark Lawrenson has given his predictions for this weekend’s Premier League matches. He has Newcastle picking up a 1-1 draw at Burnley on Sunday.

Here is the reasoning Lawro gives behind his prediction:

A win would be a massive boost for Newcastle in their relegation battle. Similarly for Burnley, a victory for them would as good as put them safe.

The Magpies were decent in their draw with Tottenham last weekend and I think they will build on that by getting something here. I just don’t see Burnley being beaten though.

We suppose a draw wouldn’t be the end of the world. It would ensure that we remain ahead of Fulham for at least another week. If Fulham win on Friday at home against Wolves, we would be momentarily in the bottom three heading into the match. Lawrenson has Fulham losing 1-0 tomorrow.

However, another draw would stretch our winless stretch to eight matches which starts to rival the 11-match winless streak that got us into this mess in the first place. This is also our best opportunity to pick up three points for quite some time as the next four matches are against teams in the top half of the table.

We’ll likely find out tomorrow if Callum Wilson will be available for Sunday. The return of our star striker could be a game-changer for this one. If he’s not ready just yet, we could see Bruce field a similar team and system that played well and picked up a point against Spurs last weekend.

Whatever team Bruce fields, the minimum is to put in a performance to match last Sunday’s. This team needs to show that they can find some consistency down the stretch. That has not been the case thus far this season.

Incidentally, Lawro was pitted against American actor Steve Guttenberg of Police Academy fame. He has Newcastle winning 2-0 on Sunday. That would be such a monumental outcome for Newcastle United.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Burnley On Sunday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Tackle from behind

Apr 8, 2021 at 7:52 PM

Mund

Lee Humble – accountant

Apr 8, 2021 at 7:52 PM

Ffs go out there and read about it then don’t come on here with not a scooby doo and be all judgemental, get all facts first then judge away

Apr 8, 2021 at 7:53 PM

Cheers Tackle

• Essex Geordie Bill

Apr 8, 2021 at 7:53 PM

Mund

Are you saying I sound ridiculous?

Apr 8, 2021 at 7:54 PM

No mate not you EGB

• Tackle from behind

Apr 8, 2021 at 7:54 PM

Irish Rob

From the Pledge 1892 FAQ page.

WHAT HAPPENS IF THE TARGET ISN’T MET?
    There is no clear target in mind for the 1892 Pledge Scheme but if the scheme does not grow by more than 10% per year then the Guardians will take a vote on whether to continue the scheme or close it and donate the raised money to charity. Any vote to end the scheme would need to be ratified by a vote of Supporters Trust members.

• Tackle from behind

Apr 8, 2021 at 7:55 PM

Irish Rob

All of your questions are answered here – if you cannot find an answer – email them.
    They answered me within 4 minutes.

Apr 8, 2021 at 7:56 PM

Tackle, you can’t get any clearer than that

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Apr 8, 2021 at 7:56 PM

News football insider
    Sources: Big update on Newcastle United takeover and when it may be completed
    By Wayne Veysey – 8th April 2021 at 5:07pm

Newcastle United are privately confident they will get the green light from the Premier League for the Saudi-backed takeover to be completed a year after it was rejected, Football Insider has been told.

United owner Mike Ashley has taken legal action against the ruling body after it put the block on the proposed £300m deal last summer.

A well-placed financial source has told Football Insider that the deal is still in place and both parties are committed to it being concluded in the coming months.

Indeed, there is hope that it could be completed as early as July, or even June.

Talks have continued behind the scenes since the Premier League refused the takeover last summer.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Apr 8, 2021 at 7:56 PM

Mund

OK, no probs.

• IrishRob

Apr 8, 2021 at 7:57 PM

No hes not Bill, hes saying I am, for being weary of it.

Hes trying to sound like he knows more than everyone else because it makes him feel more important, by rubbishing others opinions.

Let him off and pay no attention, you’ll be better for it Bill.

• IrishRob

Apr 8, 2021 at 7:58 PM

Thanks for that Tackle!

Apr 8, 2021 at 7:58 PM

Haha says the lad who has no idea what this is all about but shoots it down 🙄

• cyprus

Apr 8, 2021 at 7:59 PM

Draw is probably the likeliest result, it’s our forte these days.

Do Burnley press all over the pitch? That’s the teams that do us. I don’t think they do, so we should be able to play some football.

My bet will be draw for the dough. And 2-0 to us, for the millions.

• Tackle from behind

Apr 8, 2021 at 7:59 PM

Charlie

That’s the 8th time that story has been out.

Forget Football Insider – by the time they get any news, everyone “outside” already knows.

They key to the story is in that phrase “are privately confident”, then they build a story around it.

Think about it, they would be stupid if they said they weren’t confident.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Apr 8, 2021 at 8:01 PM

I could send a cheque or pay by credit card if there was those options.

• Optimistic prime

Apr 8, 2021 at 8:01 PM

I agree, much better to get the facts out.

Way better than implying its positive because NUST had been in contact with Stavely regarding this.

• Tackle from behind

Apr 8, 2021 at 8:01 PM

C’mon lads – lets not start getting at each others throats again.

If someone is sceptical – that’s their right – just try and give them the information that will help them to decide and move on.

• Tackle from behind

Apr 8, 2021 at 8:02 PM

EGB

Credit card will work surely?

Apr 8, 2021 at 8:04 PM

Oh right OP but nothing about the rest that was correct? Always the negative? Lol typical

• Essex Geordie Bill

Apr 8, 2021 at 8:05 PM

As my financial controller (the missus) says if they want us to give money then they should make it easy to do so with some options!

• magscar

Apr 8, 2021 at 8:05 PM

I’ve had quick look through Chronicle stories particularly those covering Hearts and Swansea situation to try to get a better feel for NUST pledge

To be honest I’m still a bit lost with it all and somewhat underwhelmed after the trailers earlier in week and I didn’t and don’t want to be

NUST say this is for the long haul and i can see that as nothing can happen within their control in immediate future can it?

This can’t threaten Ashley – we presumably all accept that as it isn’t the intention but seems more like an attempt at an insurance policy to a degree if his gamble of mismanagement continues

Arguably if worst happens and we are relegated again and don’t this time come straight back up – the Doomsday scenario – i can’t shake the feeling that the Fund waiting to buy into club can also benefit him to some degree even by him gambling further with Club future as he sees a safety net of sorts

Okay you may argue that we will have some of that, bring it on but I’m uneasy with us landing in such a desperate and precarious position and with no guarantee that we can take sufficient advantage so as not to be overly concerned at that possible outcome

If we went into administration though I’m not certain we would ever have enough to buy Club

1% as a PL club going forward is not going to get us any say whatsoever unless any new owners want it to happen

At best it surely would be of a non-executive sort of role which would mean consultation but not necessarily any heed having to or being paid

It really seems that for this to work we have to hit the buffers very badly and hope we can get a foot in and then resurrect Club from a low financial base and slowly increase the NUST % share .

On balance that seems a scenario and risk too far for me to contemplate and comparison to the then plight of Hearts and Swansea doesn’t compare well t us as a PL club but if fans want to provide for that unwelcome outcome as best they can then so be it

I must be missing something here I think but will keep watching developments and hope the penny drops for me

I get that it need only be a couple of quid but i don’t find the sort of lottery ticket, beer coffee etc expenditure comparisons persuasive

I arguably can afford something but like many decisions in my life affordabilty isn’t the main deciding factor for me

I have no issue with set up of scheme and they have been transparent and honest – you wont get your money back if a buy in fails

I also have utmost respect and trust in Caulkin and Barton administering the financials and so no scam to worry me

I keep returning to a feeling that we as a fan base after years of negativity and helplessness are so desperate to do something which seems positive and requires no more action than bank transfer or direct debit that we are seduced into what is a well meaning but in my opinion flawed pledging campaign.

I honestly don’t want anyone to be persuaded by my underwhelmed response and would be pleased if some one can instead convince me this is the real thing and will bring about fan involvement to a viable degree

i don’t have a closed mind and I know that their are several decent persuasive Bloggers on here whose views are always welcome and considered so i remain for now at least on fence

My financial advisor and keeper of purse is on Facebook sibe tea so I haven’t been able to get any go ahead anyway 🙂

• Essex Geordie Bill

Apr 8, 2021 at 8:06 PM

Tackle

I’ll contact them tomorrow and ask.

Apr 8, 2021 at 8:07 PM

EGB

Did you watch the video of Alex and Greg?

• WWSBRD

Apr 8, 2021 at 8:15 PM

Alex Hirst has just released a True Faith podcast talking about the pledge stuff. Worth a listen if you have the time

Might pause some of the speculation at least haha

Apr 8, 2021 at 8:15 PM

Here it is again a questions and answers by Alex Hurst and Greg Tomlinson. A must watch for a better understanding

• WWSBRD

Apr 8, 2021 at 8:16 PM

Also expecting a loss against Burnley unless a miracle happens

• WWSBRD

Apr 8, 2021 at 8:16 PM

Ah ignore me the Q and A I’d likely better than the podcast

Apr 8, 2021 at 8:17 PM

#1892Pledge

Apr 8, 2021 at 8:17 PM

WW, all worth a watch mate

• Essex Geordie Bill

Apr 8, 2021 at 8:20 PM

Mund

Just watched a couple of videos on the pledge site, it sounds canny but I’d still rather not give bank details, yet! 🙂

• jon

Apr 8, 2021 at 8:21 PM

Charlie @49

The problem with the statement they’ve made there is, the takeover was never rejected, it just wasn’t approved.

• Tackle from behind

Apr 8, 2021 at 8:21 PM

Current total is now over £20,000

The £ tracker on their site is behind (currently £9821) because some banks take longer to process transactions.
    Also, the £ tracker does NOT take into account any regular payments that members may have set up.

We will have a very good idea how this is going by 9th May when direct debit payments go out again.

Apr 8, 2021 at 8:24 PM

EGB

I by no means telling anyone to put money in I just want fans to understand it all and can totally get were your coming from with being uncomfortable with giving bank details out and that.

Apr 8, 2021 at 8:25 PM

Take tackle as an example he was dubious but he has done all the research and by the sounds of it extensively and now he is super positive about it.

• jon

Apr 8, 2021 at 8:27 PM

No one and i mean NO ONE gets my bank details unless in person, credit card/paypal gives the protection required.

• Tackle from behind

Apr 8, 2021 at 8:29 PM

Mund

Once they released their website – I read every page then did it again.
    Then I checked out all the board, then the guardians of the fund, then some back stories about NUST, some of which I was delving into yesterday.

I’m happy with the general idea – though I’d be more on board if they were the club offering a say or the club – Ashley Utd – died and we resurrected it with this fund.

• The mighty wyn

Apr 8, 2021 at 8:30 PM

I would like to know how they intend to force any owners to accept them having a stake in the club
    Ashley certainly wont and the saudis dont need it
    It sounds more like preparation for the club dying a death like rangers did

Apr 8, 2021 at 8:32 PM

For me Tackle it’s a positive and wherever it goes it will end with a good cause and seeing the big boys get involved and sure to see more follow is a nice feeling and nowadays that’s not so bad

• toon22

Apr 8, 2021 at 8:34 PM

If the Saudis did actually buy us
    And allowed the 1% it would be an unreal PR coup
    Having the fans invest in the club with them
    With the bad PR theyve been facing, and the obvious rubbish if it went through
    It would be no brainer to have the fans in on the sale

Yes its wishful thinking at best
    Just saying