web analytics

Pundit Has Newcastle Stretching Winless Streak To Eight But There Are Some Positives

BBC Pundit Mark Lawrenson has given his predictions for this weekend’s Premier League matches. He has Newcastle picking up a 1-1 draw at Burnley on Sunday.

Here is the reasoning Lawro gives behind his prediction:

A win would be a massive boost for Newcastle in their relegation battle. Similarly for Burnley, a victory for them would as good as put them safe.

The Magpies were decent in their draw with Tottenham last weekend and I think they will build on that by getting something here. I just don’t see Burnley being beaten though.

We suppose a draw wouldn’t be the end of the world. It would ensure that we remain ahead of Fulham for at least another week. If Fulham win on Friday at home against Wolves, we would be momentarily in the bottom three heading into the match. Lawrenson has Fulham losing 1-0 tomorrow.

However, another draw would stretch our winless stretch to eight matches which starts to rival the 11-match winless streak that got us into this mess in the first place. This is also our best opportunity to pick up three points for quite some time as the next four matches are against teams in the top half of the table.

We’ll likely find out tomorrow if Callum Wilson will be available for Sunday. The return of our star striker could be a game-changer for this one. If he’s not ready just yet, we could see Bruce field a similar team and system that played well and picked up a point against Spurs last weekend.

Whatever team Bruce fields, the minimum is to put in a performance to match last Sunday’s. This team needs to show that they can find some consistency down the stretch. That has not been the case thus far this season.

Incidentally, Lawro was pitted against American actor Steve Guttenberg of Police Academy fame. He has Newcastle winning 2-0 on Sunday. That would be such a monumental outcome for Newcastle United.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Burnley On Sunday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• WWSBRD

Apr 8, 2021 at 8:35 PM

wyn
    They dont intend to force their way in mate, they intend to capitalise if the opportunity arises. Ashley wont thats true enough they have said as such, its planned to be in place when the club is sold.

Saudis are buying us to use Newcastle to improve their image, surely bringing in the fans does exactly that and they get to be seen as forward thinking open owners

• toon22

Apr 8, 2021 at 8:36 PM

Lets see the people wh oare against anything they do knock it
    They would be knocking the fans too
    It leaves very little they can say as it would be met with the 1% forever

Id think about putting something in if it was to make a difference

• toon22

Apr 8, 2021 at 8:38 PM

They cant claim its against the fans wishes if they are paying into it themselves
    At best the ycan say they are wrong … bla..bla..bla

Its a no brainer

• The mighty wyn

Apr 8, 2021 at 8:44 PM

WW
    I understand that and have read the stuff but the timing just seems all wrong
    If they were doing knowing the takeover was going through I could understand it
    As toon 22 says it could be a good pr coup for any new owners but I dont think you can compare with rangers , who now apparently have 25 per cent. That’s a substantial stake – we would need somewhere near 75 million for that which would almost guarantee a say in matters
    I hope it works but a bit sceptical about both timing and whether it will work

• toon22

Apr 8, 2021 at 8:50 PM

Oh it would obvioulsy be a token gesture
    And would leave us with no real say
    But it would leave us with a way to force them to even interact with us
    Right now we have nothing
    With 1% we would have something

And it would probably grease the wheels a bit …

Hopefully

• Tackle from behind

Apr 8, 2021 at 8:53 PM

What NUST are asking us to do is simple.

“Put your money where your mouth is”

If enough of us do that, very soon there will be a huge fund gathered and our voice will have some actual clout.

Fans grumble – Money talks.

• WWSBRD

Apr 8, 2021 at 8:56 PM

wyn
    Certainly mate I dont personally believe it will end in the planned way. I dont see there being enough in the kitty to get in bed with the Saudis if the takeover happens (I still doubt it will happen personally) and if they are willing to wait I think the will for a lot of fans to invest in this wont happen.

Long term though can I see us dropping into the lower leagues, sticking there and the price of the club tumbling to within vision of something like this? Yeah I really can. How much was Sunderland sold for? Just down the road and were PL team 3/4 years ago

• Tackle from behind

Apr 8, 2021 at 8:57 PM

I would also suggest that if we get enough money and Ashley – or Pif – or whoever is owner then refuses to let us in….we take the money and buy Gateshead – build that into a big club as fast as Newcastle goes under, then when we’re big enough, buy SJP from the then 4th division cack club and move back in.

Newcastle is not ours, we just turn up and watch what Ashley wants to provide.

• Mund

Apr 8, 2021 at 9:01 PM

Tackle respect lad :thumb up thingy:

You have thought this right through in such a short time. Impressive and let’s do it!

• The mighty wyn

Apr 8, 2021 at 9:02 PM

IWW
    That was what I was meaning really. It looks like preparation for the doomsday scenario.
    None of us really want that. Look at the set of buyers the mackems have had look at them over the last 2-3 years

• Mund

Apr 8, 2021 at 9:03 PM

My wife is very upset with me. She found some letters I’d been hiding.

She says she feels betrayed and has lost all trust in me. I can’t say I blame her. I feel so ashamed…

I wouldn’t be surprised if she never plays Scrabble with me again!

• Tackle from behind

Apr 8, 2021 at 9:06 PM

Steward Donald bought Sunderland off Elliss for 40 million

He only actually paid 5 million with a pledge to pay the rest over 2 years.

He then sold his shares (retaining 15%) to Kyrill Louis Dreyfus

• WWSBRD

Apr 8, 2021 at 9:06 PM

wyn
    There are times Id of taken that route rather than had Ashley mind haha. Time will tell what happens though mate

How do you see the Burnley game going?

• Tackle from behind

Apr 8, 2021 at 9:07 PM

Mund

I’m still in lockdown – nothing better to do. LOL

• WWSBRD

Apr 8, 2021 at 9:11 PM

Tackle
    Certainly a lot closer to what the trust could gather than 300+ mill. Few seasons in the lower leagues to get to that point…could happen

• Mund

Apr 8, 2021 at 9:12 PM

You are an intelligent funny lad Tackle great traits that mate

• The mighty wyn

Apr 8, 2021 at 9:13 PM

WW
    I’d like to think a win but who knows which team will turn up
    Ideally fulham lose we win
    Reality fulham win and we draw or lose
    Not a lot of faith or hope at present I’m afraid

• Tackle from behind

Apr 8, 2021 at 9:17 PM

WW

If we ALL kept out of SJP for another year – we could buy Ashley for 100 million I reckon.

14 years of his cack – plus more if we let him.

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 8, 2021 at 9:20 PM

Mund,
    Just my observation but that ‘thumbs up thingy’ comes across as flippant and imo is bloody annoying, why not just thumbs up, putting ‘thingy’ just sounds like ‘what ever’ and can easily be taken as a foot you just as much as whatever it is supposed to mean.

• Moonraker15

Apr 8, 2021 at 9:20 PM

It’s a great idea in theory by NUST but in reality what influence would it have with a 1% share on a £340 million investment.
    We needed a share with Ashley’s ownership; with the consortium buyout I’m looking forward to enjoying the experience for a change.

• WWSBRD

Apr 8, 2021 at 9:20 PM

wyn
    You and me both sir, sadly just hoping for Fulham to throw in the towel. Ive often been a miserable get though

Pinning all my hopes on Wilson coming back and hitting form straight away again. Would love to see him in front of ASM Almiron and Fraser, I was excited to see that happen in pre season and I am still waiting

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 8, 2021 at 9:23 PM

WW…,
    I don’t think you’re miserable at all, just like me 😀

• WWSBRD

Apr 8, 2021 at 9:24 PM

Tackle
    Would love to see it in a position that he has to sell it for next to nothing just out of spite

• WWSBRD

Apr 8, 2021 at 9:25 PM

JfA
    Haha good point really mate, rays of sunshine at heart

• carltoon

Apr 8, 2021 at 9:29 PM

They’ve already had queries from other fans trusts Man united being one, if Hearts can do it surely the fantastic supporters of Newcastle can. If the support isn’t there and my £46 goes to charity that’s ok at least we’re trying something.

• carltoon

Apr 8, 2021 at 9:31 PM

We’ve got Alan Shearer Steve Howdy, and Warren Barton. On the first day that can’t be bad.

• carltoon

Apr 8, 2021 at 9:32 PM

Steve Howey, not Howdy 🙄

• Simmo1957

Apr 8, 2021 at 9:34 PM

Evening Gents. First post for a few months, fed up with the Bruce and the club.
    This is a positive move. I’m 65 I’ve pledged monthly. Only an amount I can afford. Looking forward to some positive change in the next few months. HWTL.

• carltoon

Apr 8, 2021 at 9:35 PM

Well done Simon, that’s all we can do,

• toon22

Apr 8, 2021 at 9:37 PM

Ive gone on enough about the turd
    Will pledge when i get paid

Im happy if the cash is used or is sent to the SBR foundation if such a thinh is possible

• Tackle from behind

Apr 8, 2021 at 9:40 PM

Simmo

Good on you mate.

At the very least, there is an element of feel good factor – we feel we are helping, if that fails, a good cause benefits.

Only give a little of what you can afford and see where it goes – at it’s worst, it’s some more pressure on Ashley and good PR for us fans for a change.

• Simmo1957

Apr 8, 2021 at 9:41 PM

Thanks Carlton. Assuming #109 was for me. Ha ha. Hopefully the likes of Warren Barton would have some role in the future. He gets it.

• Simmo1957

Apr 8, 2021 at 9:41 PM

TFB . Absolutely.

• Simmo1957

Apr 8, 2021 at 9:43 PM

We all need to get behind the shirt, the badge and the team. HWTL. Change will happen.

• Mund

Apr 8, 2021 at 9:44 PM

Oh gawd Jail. Not to sound funny but that sounds like a you problem.

• Mund

Apr 8, 2021 at 9:47 PM

Simmo fair play lad :big up thumbs up thingy:

• Simmo1957

Apr 8, 2021 at 9:49 PM

Cheers Mund, keep smiling.

• Mund

Apr 8, 2021 at 9:49 PM

Simmo, I’m on a real buzz as it’s been doom and gloom and I see this as positive and anything positive I’ll grasp hold of lol we need it

• Simmo1957

Apr 8, 2021 at 9:54 PM

This is a real positive. A chance to do something. Let’s all get behind it in anyway we can. Even if you cannot pledge money ,stay positive. One day soon we will be rid of Mike Ashley and all those who are working with him. Thank you and good night. Stay Safe.

• Simmo1957

Apr 8, 2021 at 10:07 PM

Sorry for the flag waving. Have I killed the blog.