web analytics

Shearer Names Two Magpies To His Team Of The Week

Alan Shearer has selected two Magpies in his Team of the Week for last weekend’s Premier League matches. Both Allan Saint-Maximin and Martin Dubravka make the grade for this week.

When Newcastle play well and pick up a good result, Shearer generally does his best to find a place for at least one Magpie. Though it’s been slim pickings for a bulk of this season.

Newcastle have picked up their play over the past four matches with two wins and two draws. They left it until the dying moments at Anfield to pick up a massive point with the last-second goal by Joe Willock.

If not for the performances of both Dubravka and Saint-Maximin, the deficit would have been too large for any late heroics to overcome. Dubravka has returned to last season’s form lately and made some outstanding stops against the Reds.

Allan Saint-Maximin has helped transform this team since returning from his groin injury. Newcastle are always a threat when the Frenchman is on the pitch. He kept Liverpool honest last Saturday with his cutting-edge ability.

Incidentally, on Monday Shearer and Thierry Henry became the first inductees to the Premier League Hall of Fame. Well-deserved!

How Will Newcastle Do Against Arsenal On Sunday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• cleveleysbob

Apr 27, 2021 at 4:32 PM

Carson, my feeling too, if we go for it, we must win, as their minds will be elsewhere.

• Carson80

Apr 27, 2021 at 4:32 PM

Oh and in the interests of balance and fairness The Wife please could you remove that poem by the Bard thankyou.

• geordietom

Apr 27, 2021 at 4:33 PM

Top Banana…

only asked because its used a lot here in derby …

• magscar

Apr 27, 2021 at 4:33 PM

hibbit

Good news about your family moving closer to you – nothing better than family

• Carson80

Apr 27, 2021 at 4:35 PM

Cleverslybob I think we’re due to give someone a bit of a mauling so get ready my score prediction
    3-0 to the Toon
    HWTL.

• magscar

Apr 27, 2021 at 4:35 PM

Just noticed that SKY ( for anyone who still has it) are showing a documentary about ” The Entertainers” on Sunday evening – looks good from trailer on Youtube

• Top Banana

Apr 27, 2021 at 4:36 PM

coming home, cheers

Saddens me, I enjoy the debate and freedom to comment and express opinion as much as the next person…..but it’s wholly wrong to use others on a personal level to benefit a minority view.

Meanwhile, if we lose good contributors to the blog that is wrong if the info provided is intended to benefit the majority who have a thirst for all things Toon.

Lazy and stereotypical school yard temperament.

Boo to them.

C’mon on Mund, don’t let them get you down….bouncebackability!

• Carson80

Apr 27, 2021 at 4:36 PM

And before anyone asks no I haven’t been drinking.

• SholaShow

Apr 27, 2021 at 4:37 PM

Why is Bruce getting praise?

I don’t praise my cat for eating it’s own puke.

He killed the dressing room and then finally after weeks of cutting his mashed up nose off to spite his face, brought Ritchie in back from the cold and the layers refocused and reunited. ASM, Dubravka’s form and miracle conversion rate from Willock has done the rest and we’re still only on 36pts.

He’s got to be of all managers the one who gets the most undue praise and a deficit of criticism.

• SholaShow

Apr 27, 2021 at 4:39 PM

Chronicle asking if anybody has changed their mind from 4 weeks ago when 95% of respondents wanted him gone.

It’s what is known in surveys as a push question, subtly telling people they should be reconsidering.

#BruceOut

• Carson80

Apr 27, 2021 at 4:41 PM

No praise for Bruce from me. This is all down to the players our upturn in form.
    BRUCE OOT.

• magscar

Apr 27, 2021 at 4:41 PM

I do like poetry (and song lyrics) but dressing up a direct character assassination of a regular poster ( whether you agree with him or like him or not) as one is a waste of imagination and rhyming talent

Maybe an equivalent length one about one of his protagonists with appropriate inuendos would change some posters’ perception

• FloridaToon

Apr 27, 2021 at 4:44 PM

If we want to be balanced and fair, and lets be honest few on here want that, then if the poem is removed so should posts #9, #16 and #17 along with a few in the last thread as well.

• magscar

Apr 27, 2021 at 4:44 PM

…..Oh and that bit about it’s what you hear in a pub going by Mund’s and GT’s comments I doubt it would be shrugged off as banter at the bar if they were there to hear it 😉

• Optimistic prime

Apr 27, 2021 at 4:50 PM

• magscar

Apr 27, 2021 at 4:59 PM

when I returned to Blog a few weeks back after one of my infrequent holidays from here, Tsunki was posting about leaving because of some todo over the “hearts” system

I didn’t go back over previous post/threads to find out what it was all about but i do find myself wondering when i see the hearts “awarded” to The Bard – is there some connection and a point being made – either directly or on his behalf??

• Optimistic prime

Apr 27, 2021 at 5:02 PM

Mags

No, a few individuals on the blog were posting trash aimed at others posters, then manipulating the hearts system and giving it 100s of posts.

Extremely immature behaviour, some seem determined to run others from the blog whilst playing the victim.

Tsunki is a loss to the blog and certainly isn’t BANTS.

• Optimistic prime

Apr 27, 2021 at 5:03 PM

Mags.

I’d name the posters but no doubt would be blamed for stirring.

• Optimistic prime

Apr 27, 2021 at 5:04 PM

100s of hearts.

• magscar

Apr 27, 2021 at 5:07 PM

I see NUFC are now featuring in current Sleaze Scandal – The Guardian are linking James Reuben as a Tory donor and aquaintance of Boris to the latter’s approach to PL

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 27, 2021 at 5:08 PM

Rodgers has totally ruled out the Spurs job saying how good Leicester are, I’d love to hear what the Bruce would say if he was linked with Man U. “Me?, you’re kidding aren’t you?”

• All Aboot Toon

Apr 27, 2021 at 5:10 PM

Florida Toon #53
    Absolutely agree with you.

• magscar

Apr 27, 2021 at 5:13 PM

OP

I wasn’t interested in the argument back then nor now .

May be The Bard isn’t Tsunki ( indeed i recall they both have posted before) but there does seem to be some manipulation going on and I merely point that out as interesting obssrvation.

I am in favour of hearts system – warts and all – on balance it is a good addition i believe

• Optimistic prime

Apr 27, 2021 at 5:15 PM

Mags

It should be thumbs up and down, or nothing at all.

Having just the heart makes it one sided, maybe if there was a thumbs down, as many arguments wouldn’t occur.

• Optimistic prime

Apr 27, 2021 at 5:16 PM

A heart and a laughing face, so no one gets upset at the negativity.

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 27, 2021 at 5:17 PM

Did someone mention Tsunki 😥

• magscar

Apr 27, 2021 at 5:18 PM

Oh and I’m sure Tsunki will return – i can verify that a break does you good and he has done so before so when the time is right……

Equally if Mund has departed after his last post then hopefully he will reconsider in due course – the Blog needs regular posters

• toon22

Apr 27, 2021 at 5:20 PM

Stay positive guys
    Just another few decades of the turd asset stripping the club

😉

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 27, 2021 at 5:20 PM

The hearts can’t be got rid of it’s built in to the system apparently. I once read that the ‘like’ system had made Facebook so addictive and that’s why Kacper thought it was a good idea. They’ve also caused family feuds, shootings, stabbings, divorces and lifelong friends to fall out.

• magscar

Apr 27, 2021 at 5:21 PM

OP

As i recall it was a part of the revamp of Blog by Kacper and I guess that any further revision isn’t felt vital at this time (?)

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 27, 2021 at 5:22 PM

*Sorry!
    Maybe that’s why Kacper thought it was a good idea.

• cleveleysbob

Apr 27, 2021 at 5:23 PM

Magscar, I replied to your post at 60, but it must be being “looked at” as it hasn’t appeared.

Hopefully, it will be here soon. Can’t think of anything inappropriate in it tbh 🙁

• Just a Fat Dave Bassett

Apr 27, 2021 at 5:24 PM

Seems silly getting upset about hearts. Dont count them if you don’t like them. I don’t mind them. At least you know somebodies reading your comments, but if it’s no hearts then no big deal.

• Optimistic prime

Apr 27, 2021 at 5:24 PM

I rarely heart anyone, I didn’t heart the poem, I did heart the “calm down calm down”, loved that show.

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 27, 2021 at 5:29 PM

On the hearts, we still have Munster Mag gloating that my telling off from The Wife got 80 hearts, it was actually 100 but he downgraded it to 80 knowing full well he’d clicked on it twenty times, how many of the eight posters that followed whooping with joy and celebrating the world club clicked on it a good few times as well?

• Just a Fat Dave Bassett

Apr 27, 2021 at 5:30 PM

The reaction to that poem was way over the top. I wouldn’t have been offended by any of that. Although If there’s been several other poems about the same poster maybe it’s too much. Should have one poem per poster. We need some poetry rules.

• WLtoon

Apr 27, 2021 at 5:30 PM

Afternoon, here we go again with the hearts manipulation BS.
    I thought the average age of posters on here was around 60 but having read over the last 2 hours of posts i realise it is 6.
    I wish all i had to worry about was how many red thumpers i got every time i posted, it really is pathetic.

• Optimistic prime

Apr 27, 2021 at 5:34 PM

8 pts since I started voting on the result after the match.

Sticking to my new tactic, fancy a draw against Arsenal.

Still don’t like the formation, far to open.

We’re the exact opposite of Liverpool, they play great possession based football and make chance after chance, we play awful football and score with the odd chances we make.

The result had the writing on the wall at the end of the first half on Saturday.

Enjoyed the game as I never expected Liverpool to score more than 1 it wasn’t too nerve racking, when they dissaliwed Wilson I got upset.

As great as the point was, they had over 20 shots, we were wide open again as we were for last few games.

Think we’ll get a point off Arsenal but if we play against Leicester the way we have in last several games, they’ll murder us!

• Great White Hunter

Apr 27, 2021 at 5:36 PM

Shola #49, I agree 100% regarding Bruce, he,s hit it lucky ASM, Dubs and Wilson have come back into the team or squad and playing well etc…Richie and Murphy are back but they had issues with Bruce and had things to prove therefore their attitude is now first class. The players have come together and got their act together without manager,coaches influence imo. So sorry still no praise from me for Bruce.