web analytics

Midfielder Reiterates Commitment To Newcastle In New Interview

Late last year, Miguel Almiron’s agent, Daniel Campos, made some inflammatory comments while the midfielder was away on international duty with Paraguay. Campos indicated that if it wasn’t for the coronavirus Almiron would no longer be at Newcastle. He also hinted at a potential move this summer.

After some backlash, the agent walked back the comments somewhat a few days later. During his next press conference, Steve Bruce labeled Campos as a ‘two-bob amateur’ trying to make ‘a fast buck.’ However, he laid none of the blame on Almiron, emphatically stating that Miguel was a joy to work with.

The controversy has died down since then as Almiron, who was in and out of the team at the time, has cemented his place in Newcastle’s first team over the past few months. The 27-year-old has only not started 2 of our last 16 matches, and that was due to the knee injury he suffered against Wolves.

Almiron has given an expansive interview with Sky Sports in which he expresses his commitment to Newcastle numerous times. He also addressed the controversy surrounding his agent as he said the following:

“What I was speaking about has been wrongly interpreted. At no point was I suggesting I wanted to play for another team.

“As I’ve been saying, I’m very happy in Newcastle and all I’m thinking about is helping the team achieve its goals of improving.”

Miguel went on to state that he was ‘extremely happy’ at Newcastle a couple of other times during the interview. Miguel also said the following about not being able to play in front of the Magpie faithful this season:

“I’ve missed playing in front of the fans tremendously. Hopefully, with a bit of luck, they can return in some capacity for our final home game [against Sheffield United]. I’m not sure if this will 100 per cent happen but it would be amazing to have them back inside the ground as soon as possible.

After putting in some Man of the Match type performances as a false nine in the diamond formation, Miguel has dropped deeper in the midfield over the past four matches. This role does not suit him but he’s continued to battle for the team.

As for this summer, there’s likely to be speculation about Almiron’s future once again. However, he’s tied down for another three years so it’ll take a hefty fee to pry him away. For now, Almiron is only focused on the rest of this campaign:

“In the short term, the focus is fully on keeping Newcastle in the Premier League and finishing the season well. We want to reach as high as we can in the league and right now, I’m not looking too far beyond this.”

How Will Newcastle Do Against Arsenal On Sunday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Wor B

Apr 29, 2021 at 10:47 AM

Toon22

Robleenio is not Jib, don’t be scaring him off!

🙂

• TheTinman

Apr 29, 2021 at 10:47 AM

Geordietom one post of a transfer rumour is usually enough, especially if it is from the Daily mail!!

Do you have any opinions on the player? I haven’t watched Celtic in years so haven’t even heard of him

• Pit yacker

Apr 29, 2021 at 10:47 AM

Good morning all
    I think as a toon fan we are entitled to have an opinion on our manager and wether he is up to the job – the athletic article is a good read and paints Bruce in a better light but let’s not forget that he made some shocking decisions to get us into such a bad position – he doesn’t seem to have a plan b and was out of his depth when things started to slide – ok he was unlucky with COVID but he didn’t seem to be able to manage his way through. If we stay up then he has done a below average job in my opinion – the base minimum expected
    Full disclosure I used to live near a lot of the Man Utd players and have met a lot of the players from Steve Bruce era and a number of them spoke really highly of him – a lovely bloke apparently, but, I want a successful manager who can recognise when things are heading south and arrest the slide not just rely on mates in the media to cover his back and hope for the best
    So regardless of how the season ends I think we need a change in manager and should be aiming higher
    Always aiming higher!

• Not another deJong

Apr 29, 2021 at 10:48 AM

Bruce 16/1 for Shef Utd manager (fingers crossed)

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Apr 29, 2021 at 10:50 AM

Was Jones not meant to be a Carr recommendation?

If its true its a shame the club didn’t listen to him about getting a Favre etc in rather than Pardew and his cronies all those years ago

Its interesting those stats about Jones so say he came in at pre season last year and we had started attacking teams and got to 45 to 55 points I think most would have been satisfied if the football had been decent?

As I must admit since Jones has came in there have been some games where we have been great to watch and its been end to end Everton, Southampton, Spurs, Liverpool, West Ham games I could say that I was entertained and would like to see more of that even if we got beat sometimes!

• TheTinman

Apr 29, 2021 at 10:52 AM

“that should also be something to be wary about ASM as well mind you?”

Do you mean wary in terms of we don’t want him to end up going on a free? If so I agree, unless something dramatically changes in terms of our ambitions.

If ASM performs as you outlined then a top team would definitely be interested. I think it might be PSG, who have less risk on these players as their league is easier. And of course the French connection.

• Just a fan

Apr 29, 2021 at 10:53 AM

Wor b
    I like to read your comments but your avatar puts me off.
    That’s a good comment eyes left ahhhhhhhhhh

• TheTinman

Apr 29, 2021 at 10:53 AM

I should add that I hope he does find that consistency and our ambitions also improve. He had a great personality and playstyle which suits our club. Would love him to stay for the next 5-10years!

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Apr 29, 2021 at 10:54 AM

@TheTinman

Yeah I think its more Traore and Zaha not sure if its because they were denied moves but have looked well out of sorts this season so wondering if it was because of the lack of a move?

Just always worried about players going off the boil if they don’t get their move we have had a few of them over the years!

• Adamn_92

Apr 29, 2021 at 10:56 AM

I’ll happily hold my hands up and say I got the whole Jones situation completely wrong. I thought it would have a huge negative effect, seems like it wasn’t Bruce’s choice and thought they’d be clashes and team divide over it. If anything the opposite has happened, the team seem to finally be playing for each other more and seem more cohesive as a unit. Doesn’t seem to be much of a conflict between Bruce and Jones either, if anything our change in play would suggest Jones has been allowed to get stuck in. So thank god I was wrong! I’ve said it a few times, but I still think Ritchie deserves huge credit for our recent turn around. No doubting Jones’ impact now, but Ritchie coming back in was crucial in my eyes.

• Not another deJong

Apr 29, 2021 at 10:57 AM

RobLeenio

Hi, I suggested that Jonathon Woodgate should be brought in last December, as the club looked unlikely to change our manager with the Arbitration going on. However, he went and replaced our new Assistant to the Asisstants Head Coach, so I presume we got the upgrade?!

The Athletic article (cheers DubaiMicky) pinpoints after the Brighton game as the turning point, I think it was in the same game that I observed Jones being redirected to talk to Agnew about his opinions of what was happening on the pitch. It was laughable as he made it obvious to do it within ear shot of Bruce. However, all appears to be a lot more ammicable now between the two of them.

• Wor B

Apr 29, 2021 at 10:57 AM

JaF

Was thinking of changing the avatar.

I’ll be keeping it now.

• geordietom

Apr 29, 2021 at 11:00 AM

TINMAN …

i like you havent got a clue about him mate .maybe some one who watches scottish football would know…

only time iv’e seen his name mentioned is in the chronicle …

• TheTinman

Apr 29, 2021 at 11:01 AM

Lee Charnley,

Yeah that’s true mate. If a flare player loses their confidence then it’s curtains for them

• cleveleysbob

Apr 29, 2021 at 11:24 AM

Hi RobLeenio, nice to see you again (metaphorically). Glad you’re back, but from your comments can understand the sabbatical. 😀

• Just a fan

Apr 29, 2021 at 11:30 AM

Wor b
    I got that wrong didn’t I.