web analytics

Report – Newcastle Preparing A Bid For Defensive Target

There was a report last month that Newcastle were considering launching an £8m bid for Celtic defender Kristoffer Ajer. The recently turned 23-year-old is out of contract in 2022 and reluctant to sign a new deal.

Ajer has made over 170 appearances at Celtic Park since joining from Norwegian club Start almost 5 years ago. The 6’6″ center-back now desires the challenge of the English Premier League, which could mean Celtic have to cash in on their star defender this summer.

The Mail is now reporting that Newcastle are ready to ‘press ahead’ with an £8m offer for the Norwegian international.

Celtic reportedly value Ajer at around £25m but face the prospect of him leaving for nothing next summer. They only paid around £500k for Ajer when he was a teenage prospect so they’ll still get a healthy profit on him even if he’s sold for much less than their valuation.

It’s doubtful Celtic would accept £8m for Ajer early in the summer. They’ll want to drum up as much interest as possible if it becomes clear he’ll see out his contract. However, money may not be readily available for most clubs after a season played behind closed doors.

It seems that Ajer has his heart set on the Premier League so that should narrow the competition for the young center-back. He would be an outstanding signing for less than £10m if Newcastle can somehow make it happen.

How Will Newcastle Do Against Arsenal On Sunday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• magscar

Apr 29, 2021 at 12:24 PM

On Jones if Bruce wasn’t involved in decision a view that i am open to but don’t know for sure then i am left to ask – well who was?

Who could Charnley have consulted with enough football insight and connection to identify a candidate – can’t have ben Jones simply saying “Gizza a Job”

…..can it?

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 29, 2021 at 12:25 PM

RobLeenio,
    Welcome back, I didn’t realise that band camp had still been open 😀

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 29, 2021 at 12:26 PM

Or have been having the flute removed 😀

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 29, 2021 at 12:27 PM

There is no way Bruce had anything to do with Jones given his reaction after the Villa game.

• Mund

Apr 29, 2021 at 12:36 PM

Graham Carr pulling on Ashley’s ears…

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 29, 2021 at 12:36 PM

magscar,
    Could have been anyone, we do have some people who used to be involved with football at the club, Steve Harper might know him, possibly Graham Carr, couldn’t have been Churnley.

• onmeedsun

Apr 29, 2021 at 12:45 PM

Mund
    Yes Rafa would have won us the league that year if he’d been given the last 10 games, but then he probably wouldn’t have got us to a 12 point lead. And the ride would have been dull in comparison. Who would have thought in 74 that the guy who destroyed us at Wembley would become our greatest living icon.

• RobLeenio

Apr 29, 2021 at 12:45 PM

Cheers Magscar and Jail. Yep, sabbaticals good and flute removals too 😉

I feel like Jones’s role is like a coaching consultancy almost – access all areas, observing and suggesting with some hands-on coaching with the players but mainly guiding and and advising. Maybe even player liaison.

Essentially all the things a good manager should be doing but Bruce patently wasn’t.

• Mund

Apr 29, 2021 at 12:46 PM

I don’t like Bruce but it felt good seeing the team United the last few weeks rather than the divide

• Mund

Apr 29, 2021 at 12:47 PM

onmeedsun

It was certainly a romance that was meant to be that’s for sure 🙂 hopefully we will have another KK or SBR in the near future mate

• Mund

Apr 29, 2021 at 12:48 PM

Can anyone pass on the flute removal hotline?

Asking for a friend….

• magscar

Apr 29, 2021 at 12:51 PM

On KK i was in a pub in Scarborough after a 5-a-side game when he made his famous outburst

I was one of a few toon fans amongst a majority of Leeds ones , with the usual Man U ( never having been to OT) group represented and it was a strange night.

Believe me if you think Toon fans hate Man U then you have to chat with Leeds fans – they detest them

I’ve been with a Leeds mate to Ellend Road a couple of times for games against Man U( and others) and the atmosphere before matches on way to ground and during and after match is off the scale

On the night mentioned i knew some of the Leeds fans in pub including my mate but by no means all – when Gillespie scored against them we Toon fans scattered around pool room where TV was erupted and Leeds fans didn’t know how to react.

One stood next to me who i had never spoken to, after a few seconds shouted ” get in” and sheepishy looking round said it’s the first time i don’t mind us losing but i feel weird!

When KK came on after I was proud of his unvarnished reaction and the fan next to me said – that’s a real manager – what passion!!

Since then history tells it that Ferguson had out mind gamed him but I as then believe his reaction to be honest , in keeping with our values and absolutely spot on .

He wasn’t reeled in just not backed up in written National press ( as usual) who ought to have agreed that Ferguson had brought game into disrepute and action taken not poked fun at a “gullible” new kid on block

As anyone who has watched the toon in a “foreign” pub back then will appreciate they were good times for us as most other clubs’ fans didn’t mind us or even wanted us to do well.

We weren’t a Chelsea or Man City ( not then on horizon) or even a Blackburn but a likeable club who played football the wasy it was meant to be and corrcetly dubbed “The Enetrtainers”

How the PL has changed for the worst

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Apr 29, 2021 at 1:00 PM

We also need to find ways to win without ASM in the team that to me comes down to coaching

Because there hasn’t been patterns of play developed apart from sit deep give it to ASM to beat 4 players on his own that was why we struggled

Although when we battered Everton in that first half ASM wasn’t on the pitch but we never really tried that again as injuries to Wilson happened

I suppose if we keep Willock and make sure Fraser and Wilson are 100% fit and raring to go we will have better attacking options if ASM is out

• magscar

Apr 29, 2021 at 1:01 PM

Jail

Could be – but I am genuinely puzzled as to who outside the Manager would have Charnley’s ear and be prepared to risk an opinion?

Going behind Bruce’s back for advice/ suggestions ( which is presumably want it would amout to ) seems a dubious exercise at best

Logically I think Bruce must ( albeit reluctantly) have been involved to some degree

Maybe it was a case of we are bringing in another coach whether you want or not and it becoame a fait accompli

Not good for cohesion but if it’s only way he stays in job then he takes it and try’s for someone he can get along wiith

Doesn’t always appear to be a marriage made in heaven but has worked so far

• magscar

Apr 29, 2021 at 1:03 PM

Oh – doesn’t football chat feel good lads and lasses

• simon376

Apr 29, 2021 at 1:09 PM

Robleenio
    Great to see you back, been missed. Hope your mate Rob gets inducted into premier league legends club soon

• Essex Geordie Bill

Apr 29, 2021 at 1:14 PM

Robleenio

About bloody time! 🙂

• onmeedsun

Apr 29, 2021 at 1:14 PM

And we didn’t lose the title in 96 due to KKs outburst after the Leeds match.
    It was when we got beat 1-0 by Manure at SJP. We battered them first half but Schmeichel saved everything.
    Liverpool and Blackburn away contributed but the Manure game was the key one as it would have finished them off.

• toonbrother

Apr 29, 2021 at 1:16 PM

@ Lee Charnley Bunga Party
    when we beat Everton we did so with Hayden at the base of the diamond rather than Shelvey

But we changed that around and the diamond formation stopped working for us

The loss of Wilson also hampered that approach

• Mund

Apr 29, 2021 at 1:20 PM

magscar

Some top chat and posts this morning mate. How it should be.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Apr 29, 2021 at 1:24 PM

Bob

May I politely enquire as to how polite and civil one needs to be to be considered for the niceness of the month award, I make this request with the utmost respect towards the extremely worthy suggestion by yourself.

I sincerely hope that this comment does not come across as being in any way obsequious or an attempt by myself to ingratiate me so that I may be considered as a person to be awarded this great honour.

Respectfully yours

EGB

• Tsunki

Apr 29, 2021 at 1:24 PM

For the sake of clarity a quick post –

I don’t have any “alts” and have not posted for a while, any inference I am someone else is just made up to bully yet another hapless poster. I never say never but I’m not planning to post for the indefinite future.

Reason mainly is I’ve seen the blog overtaken by the malady of social media, starts out well woth regular normal folk, but slowly eroded by the steady influx of real life nonentities who find their preferred reality in cyberspace where they can’t be checked for their crass behaviour, misplaced self-importance, faux personality, or get thumped. The cranks slowly take over.

To prove it, I would point out that as I was supposed to be a major cause of bloggers leaving, its of interest that since I’ve departed this sorry mess I have never seen so many moderator jnterventions or escalating arguments fabricated from nothing but sad losers in real life, acting out their revenge fantasies and bottled rage against avatars, like virtual effigies they can stick pins in.

I find now I don’t have time never mind the inclination to post humorous “attacks” (PC wet pants and little girl crying abound) on rows of text accompanied by names and pictures. So this is information only, don’t waste time looking for me or giving innocent contributors your grief, I’m not here.

BUT while I am here – wake up, there is not going to be a Saudi PIF takeover, that vanished a year ago, and the only ones talking about it still are north east media getting cheap clicks and cranks on twitter. You’re all taking your eye off the real problem while you utterly waste time with that.

Toodles

• Tim the toon

Apr 29, 2021 at 1:24 PM

One of the things I really enjoyed about the game on Saturday, was that we actually tried to pass through their press, instead of just hoofball.

I know there were a couple of mistakes – Lobby and Clark (I think), but it bodes well, if we are really going to try and play a bit of football

• RobLeenio

Apr 29, 2021 at 1:26 PM

Lol, cheers Bill and Simon – it’s been a while, for sure 😉

As for Rob Lee in the Premier League hall of fame – can you imagine Rio Turdinand’s reaction to that, given the cr@p he dished up after Shearer was inducted?

I fear that’s one we’ll be waiting on for a LONG time, though obviously I think it should happen tomorrow.

• Mund

Apr 29, 2021 at 1:26 PM

#BringOnTheSaudis

• Essex Geordie Bill

Apr 29, 2021 at 1:26 PM

The football chat is OK providing there’s no criticism of Jonjo! 🙂

• Mund

Apr 29, 2021 at 1:27 PM

Rpbleenio

Rio is just salty with this club and fanbase and those ridiculous comments just made him look a fool.

Woodgate was better than Rio anyways

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Apr 29, 2021 at 1:28 PM

@Toonbrother

Oh yeah forgot about Hayden!

Out of sight out of mind as I don’t think we have missed him in terms of possession and building attacks recently but he would also be a shout to play when he is back fit

• DrGloom

Apr 29, 2021 at 1:29 PM

There definitely seemed to be some frostiness from Bruce for the first few games of Jones tenure, seems they get along a bit better now and Bruce has welcomed him back to the touchline.

• Mund

Apr 29, 2021 at 1:29 PM

Saudis have gone absolutely nowhere.

Staveley and the consortium are still waiting in the wings to complete this deal no matter what anyone says on this blog

• Mund

Apr 29, 2021 at 1:31 PM

Gloom

Jones want banished from the touch line he starts the games in the stands and he is always on or around the touch line for big parts of the game

• RobLeenio

Apr 29, 2021 at 1:32 PM

Tim the toon – spot on, the lads trying to play out suggests that they’ve been working on it in training. If so and it’s a ‘new’ tactic then it’ll take time to practice and mistakes will be made. It’s encouarging that it’s happening in the first place, as you said.

With a higher press being instilled already and working out well, it looks like we’re moving towards a higher-energy, more modern, possession-based brand of football.

In other words, what we’ve all been asking for since the back end of forever.

• Mund

Apr 29, 2021 at 1:32 PM

Gloom

Wasn’t*

• Just a Fat Dave Bassett

Apr 29, 2021 at 1:34 PM

EGB,
    I’ll vote for you next month. Going to vote for Bladey this month. Now there’s a man we could all learn manners from.

• Tim the toon

Apr 29, 2021 at 1:35 PM

EGB

The problem with Jonjo is not his ability, but where to play him. In a two man midfield he becomes a bit of a luxury, because he doesn’t get through enough work.

The last couple of games where we’ve played a 3, it’s been a lot better – we seem to have won a lot more balls further up the pitch (comparatively). Jonjo has also played a lot less long balls, which I think makes us a better team.

As I said earlier, we played through the press on Saturday, and Jonjo contributed to that with shorter sharper passes.

Long may it last

• RobLeenio

Apr 29, 2021 at 1:36 PM

Mund, I can’t stand Rio, always thought he was an egotistical bell-end.

I can’t see him getting a pick for the H-o-F any time soon, Terry, Sol Campbell, Tony Adams and Stam are ahead of him in my eyes as Central Defenders.

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 29, 2021 at 1:36 PM

Did I miss Tsunki 😥

• onmeedsun

Apr 29, 2021 at 1:41 PM

What did Rio ‘I am in Mike Ashley’s pocket’ for him promoting my tat say about Shearers induction. Has someone told him that if the Manure fans don’t like the way their club is being run then the fans need to have a whip-round to buy out the Glazers!

• Just a Fat Dave Bassett

Apr 29, 2021 at 1:41 PM

Charnley could be in touch with any number of people who could have suggested Jones. For all we know, he could still be pally with McLaren, Hughton or Rafa even. Then there are the various coaches we’ve had in the past, who he may trust. Then there’s our scouts, past and present, like Nickson and Carr who probably know a good coach when they see one. He might have asked a player, or could even be in touch with his next manager (Howe etc). He probably also knew Jones because he’s a geordie. Jones has probably been to St James with his ex-clubs. My money is on Carr.

It says it all about Charnley that not one person has thought Charnley has a vast wealth of footballing knowledge and used his own loaf.