web analytics

Report – Newcastle Preparing A Bid For Defensive Target

There was a report last month that Newcastle were considering launching an £8m bid for Celtic defender Kristoffer Ajer. The recently turned 23-year-old is out of contract in 2022 and reluctant to sign a new deal.

Ajer has made over 170 appearances at Celtic Park since joining from Norwegian club Start almost 5 years ago. The 6’6″ center-back now desires the challenge of the English Premier League, which could mean Celtic have to cash in on their star defender this summer.

The Mail is now reporting that Newcastle are ready to ‘press ahead’ with an £8m offer for the Norwegian international.

Celtic reportedly value Ajer at around £25m but face the prospect of him leaving for nothing next summer. They only paid around £500k for Ajer when he was a teenage prospect so they’ll still get a healthy profit on him even if he’s sold for much less than their valuation.

It’s doubtful Celtic would accept £8m for Ajer early in the summer. They’ll want to drum up as much interest as possible if it becomes clear he’ll see out his contract. However, money may not be readily available for most clubs after a season played behind closed doors.

It seems that Ajer has his heart set on the Premier League so that should narrow the competition for the young center-back. He would be an outstanding signing for less than £10m if Newcastle can somehow make it happen.

How Will Newcastle Do Against Arsenal On Sunday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• onmeedsun

Apr 29, 2021 at 1:43 PM

Tim the toon
    First rule of coaching and putting out an effective team is….
    Round pegs in round holes.
    Simples.

• Just a Fat Dave Bassett

Apr 29, 2021 at 1:46 PM

How do think Bruce’s reception will be at Sheff Utd? If he’s lucky the people who hate him most are unlikely to go buy a ticket, so he might get the most apathetic supporters and could get an easy ride. If he’s unlucky those who hate him most will buy the tickets purely to go and vent their anger.

I hope he gets both barrels, or double cabbaged. I also hope their is a song for Jones, and just abuse for Bruce.

• Mund

Apr 29, 2021 at 1:46 PM

Robleenio

Same mate I can’t stand the man and he takes every opportunity to try and wind the fanbase up, all because Ashley sells his crap.

I didn’t rate him that much, good player and all but anyone who dodges a drugs test shouldn’t be a hall of famer

• Tim the toon

Apr 29, 2021 at 1:47 PM

Onmeedsun

Absolutely – imagine a midfield 3 of Willock, Lobby and Hayden

• toon22

Apr 29, 2021 at 1:48 PM

Hi rob

Welcome back 🙂

• carltoon

Apr 29, 2021 at 1:51 PM

What’s happened to the punishment for the six clubs, ? Just heard they have to get rid of chief executives. Is that it!!!!!!!!

• onmeedsun

Apr 29, 2021 at 1:52 PM

Tim
    Yes you need legs all over midfield.
    PSG nearly suffocated City last night in first half as they were so quick to close down. Made them look ordinary. All their players were quick. They obviously lost the plot second half but they showed that City could be vulnerable.

• carltoon

Apr 29, 2021 at 1:53 PM

I can’t believe they aren’t getting any punishment.

• Tim the toon

Apr 29, 2021 at 1:56 PM

Carltoon

Much as I’d like to see some real punishment, I don’t think it will happen, unless the other 14 clubs use their power to pass sanction.

The problem with that is, that only 1 club needs to falter, and the power is gone. The big 6 will get to one of them, and that will be the end of it!

• carltoon

Apr 29, 2021 at 1:56 PM

JAFDB, if I get a ticket, I’ll scream right in his lug, GET OUT OF MY CLUB , is that ok for you.

• carltoon

Apr 29, 2021 at 1:58 PM

TTT, I just can’t believe they’re getting away with no sanctions at all, what about bringing the game into disrepute !!

• simon376

Apr 29, 2021 at 1:59 PM

How will Rio react when his cousin Sir Les is put in the hall of fame?

• magscar

Apr 29, 2021 at 1:59 PM

jafdb

Carr left after revamp under Rafa but could well still be behind scene i guess

I also don’t now how much Bruce is having a say in recuitment and retention other than an opinion?

Charnley was and is a Financial/Administratorover many years and would have made contacts but there has to be a formal “team” involved and presumably suggestions come from Nickson and co

How much direction is there to the recruitment team in football terms and not the obvious cheap or free route we are landed with for finances

Carr worked within the model he was set and had experience of but we left that behind under Rafa and not clear exactly what we now have

The recruitment of Joelinton for a possible profit sell on but without regard to the type of forward we were clearly desperate for after Rondon wasn’t kept on showed the inadequate approach

However the recruiment of Wilson showed a belated realisation of that misstep – Bruce?

Like most I have a lack of understandng of who heads up, what is and how pollcy works and why it seems so inclined to produce uneven squads

I rarely pay attention to the transfer leaks etc as not even journalists can make 2 and equal 4 in this crazy club

• Tim the toon

Apr 29, 2021 at 2:03 PM

Carltoon

Same as when they were exposed for Project Big Picture or whatever it was called last year.

The so-called big 6 are all greedy gits; I hope Leicester stay in the top 4, to keep one of them out of Champions League next season

• Mund

Apr 29, 2021 at 2:06 PM

Somebody has gave a back handed me thinks

• Mund

Apr 29, 2021 at 2:06 PM

Hander*

• Adamn_92

Apr 29, 2021 at 2:09 PM

Carltoon, it’s a complete slap in the face to the smaller clubs if no further action is taken. Think of how many clubs got points taken off them in lower leagues for things more minor than this. Essentially punishments ruined some clubs as they never recovered. Yet the top 6 get the equivalent of ‘don’t do that again please’ and can just carry on. It’s a complete disgrace and shows even now they still are above the law compared to every other club.

• cleveleysbob

Apr 29, 2021 at 2:11 PM

EGB, that was an extremely civil, if somewhat despicably crawly attempt to get the civility award. But as I’m not on the awards committee it’s wasted mate 😉 sorry :tears:

Rob, I welcomed you back at end of last post, missed bus (nowt new there). 😀

Enjoying all the football talk today, thanks everyone, and if you’re still reading, Hi to Tsunki.

• Adamn_92

Apr 29, 2021 at 2:12 PM

On Jones, my theory would be that Ashley, Charnley and Barnes were starting to squirm a bit about how close we were to the bottom 3 and the way our results were going. They knew it would cost more to sack Bruce so thought of a cheaper alternative; bring in a well thought of coach. They must have some contacts so asked around and Jones was one mentioned and when contacted seemed up for the job and didn’t cost too much. He was brought in and Bruce was basically told that he’s coming and that’s that. Could be way off the mark, but that’s my take on it anyway.

• magscar

Apr 29, 2021 at 2:13 PM

carloon

I said at time that there wouldn’t be any real punishment of the 6 here and the 12 in total as they are too powerful in their respective Leagues and Uefa run scared of them.

Much as I would like to think fans reaction scared them i think biggetst inpact was lack of solidarity by German and French clubs which maybe led to not 100% involvement by Man City and Chelsea

It was a battle won sure but I doubt war is over as many of the clubs don’t just want power but desperately need the guaranteed finances for their business models to survive that only regulat CL football and greater share in finances will provide

It’s the way of the world

As for the fan led review here I don’t see anything earth shattering coming from that such as fans being part of Club and policy – like workers representatives being allowed on Board and allowed say in or some control of business decisions?

It will need Government action and I will leave it at that

• carltoon

Apr 29, 2021 at 2:13 PM

I just hope the other clubs vote sanctions.

• carltoon

Apr 29, 2021 at 2:15 PM

A non footy post HAD ME SECOND JAB. YEAH, I’ll able to go out get drunk and dance on the tables.

• Mund

Apr 29, 2021 at 2:15 PM

Jones was a Carr recommendation was he not?

• Adamn_92

Apr 29, 2021 at 2:16 PM

Congrats carltoon! I felt pretty grim the day after my second jab, only for 24 hours though and felt fine after. Know plenty of people who didn’t feel bad at all though, so hope you fall into the latter group!

• Adamn_92

Apr 29, 2021 at 2:18 PM

I think Keith Patterson claimed that he was told Carr was responsible for bringing in Jones. I still don’t know how I feel about the NCSL though so i’ll take that with a pinch of salt. I’m sure Carr still get’s contacted by the club though so it’s more than possible.

• Online Guy

Apr 29, 2021 at 2:19 PM

Robleenio,

Welcome back.

I had thought about you in the week , just a passing thought you know ..Wondering if covid had befalling you or you’re family and hoping you were well and thriving.

Daft thoughts but relevant nowadays i suppose.

Anyway Good to see you Sir !.

• Mund

Apr 29, 2021 at 2:19 PM

For anyone who has the jab I’ve been told having paracetamol or ibuprofen before and after the jab helps with any side effects.

My Mam swears by it and everyone she has told seems to have no side effects. Worth a try if anyone has one coming up

• Mund

Apr 29, 2021 at 2:21 PM

Keith Patterson is a fan who tried to do something rather than say on his arse. He was obviously new to social media as he let himself down a few times but on the flip side he was targeted daily by a certain group of trolls.

I think he deserves respect from the fanbase for his efforts and saying enough is enough.

Each to there own tho

• Uncertain Toon/World

Apr 29, 2021 at 2:22 PM

Robleenio,

Great to see you back in the room pal, hope all is well

• geordie157

Apr 29, 2021 at 2:23 PM

Just caught up on the posts

On Ajer, always reluctant with SPL players as the premier league is a big step up for players. Haven’t seen any of Celtic to judge how good he is, after being stung by Boumsong I’d say pass on this one.

On Murphy, def a no brainer to give him a new deal, versatile can cover wing back, right mid or play higher up the pitch on the right or left if needed. Was slightly raw when we got him and seemed over priced but has developed albeit a bit slower than expected, adding the needed consistency to his game and he can be direct, decent crosser, can score goals, improving defensively so at worst he’ll be a good squad player going forwards.

Off subject, I also think Lewis will push on again in a season or two, very similar to Murphy in that there’s some obvious quality there but at times you can see he’s lost a bit of confidence going forwards (used to fly down the left for Norwich) and defensively he’s vulnerable but no reason why he can’t develop. As it stands he’s certainly a wing back not a left back.

• cleveleysbob

Apr 29, 2021 at 2:23 PM

Carltoon and others. I’m pretty certain that it was established that as it was “the owners” to blame and no one else at the clubs, it was considered unfair to hit them with any traditional punishments like points deductions, withdrawal from comps etc. Even fines were ruled out due to simply adding more financial mess onto already struggling clubs.

Also, among the 14 there wasn’t a consensus of opinion as to what penalty should be awarded and as they need all 14 to be on same page they were going nowhere.

So, only thing agreed was that the “other14” refused to allow the chief execs etc from those clubs back into PL fold either to represent the clubs or be on any of the development committees. I’m assuming that means the PL will fill those posts from other clubs, but suspect it won’t be long before new faces from same old clubs will dominate the proceedings.

As a few have suggested, some brown envelopes flying around.

Personally (as well as being disgusted by this) I’m hoping that only 3 of them (as they are now) qualify for anything next year, City, ManU and Chelsea – the rest can kiss my…

The new CL rules with “safety net” for heritage clubs doesn’t start until following year, so the other 3 are stuffed for 12 Months at least.

• magscar

Apr 29, 2021 at 2:24 PM

carltoon

My 2cnd tomorrow 🙂

Might be able to go to a supermarket in say 3 weeks and also get a haircut – looking like version of my late 60’s self but grey/white and much thinner/wispier – not a good look but better than Boris or Blair (arguably) – wor lass says I’m kidding myself and should have a look at back !!

Thinking maybe end of June for a meet up of mates who I have seen since before Christmas 2019 for our monthly pub get together but will see if things are still on right course

Brave New World

• Wor B

Apr 29, 2021 at 2:26 PM

carltoon

Congrats on the 2nd jab but don’t believe everything those medical folk tell you.

After my first jab I asked if I’d be able to play golf after this and they assured me I could. They lied, I was rubbish!

🙂

• carltoon

Apr 29, 2021 at 2:28 PM

Mags oh! So you won’t be dancing on the tables then.

• carltoon

Apr 29, 2021 at 2:28 PM

Adman i was ok with the first jab so hoping I’ll be ok this time.

• Uncertain Toon/World

Apr 29, 2021 at 2:29 PM

I don’t know much about this Keith Patterson character, but he gets my respect.

He’s stuck his head above the parapet and also stuck his hand in his pocket by all accounts.

I hope he gets somewhere with it all, even it’s just answers to his own questions that put him on the path he’s on.

• Mund

Apr 29, 2021 at 2:29 PM

Wor

We’re you actually good before jab? Or did you hope the jab would give you golf like super powers?…. 😉

• cleveleysbob

Apr 29, 2021 at 2:30 PM

Geordie, I agree on Lewis, I’ve been pretty scathing of his performances this year, but as an understudy wingback for Ritchie, I think he’s more than got enough about him to be a really good player for us in the future.

Question, if we stick to the wingback option, what do we do with traditional wingers like Fraser for example? Is there a future for him @ St James’ or is he just ballast now?

• Mund

Apr 29, 2021 at 2:31 PM

Uncertain

I think it’s been unfair the amount of abuse being thrown at him since he came on Twitter and I guess that’s a learning curve for him like it is for us all.

I don’t like the fact a lot of fans go at him when all he did was try to make something happen which should have respect from all