web analytics

Report – Newcastle Preparing A Bid For Defensive Target

There was a report last month that Newcastle were considering launching an £8m bid for Celtic defender Kristoffer Ajer. The recently turned 23-year-old is out of contract in 2022 and reluctant to sign a new deal.

Ajer has made over 170 appearances at Celtic Park since joining from Norwegian club Start almost 5 years ago. The 6’6″ center-back now desires the challenge of the English Premier League, which could mean Celtic have to cash in on their star defender this summer.

The Mail is now reporting that Newcastle are ready to ‘press ahead’ with an £8m offer for the Norwegian international.

Celtic reportedly value Ajer at around £25m but face the prospect of him leaving for nothing next summer. They only paid around £500k for Ajer when he was a teenage prospect so they’ll still get a healthy profit on him even if he’s sold for much less than their valuation.

It’s doubtful Celtic would accept £8m for Ajer early in the summer. They’ll want to drum up as much interest as possible if it becomes clear he’ll see out his contract. However, money may not be readily available for most clubs after a season played behind closed doors.

It seems that Ajer has his heart set on the Premier League so that should narrow the competition for the young center-back. He would be an outstanding signing for less than £10m if Newcastle can somehow make it happen.

How Will Newcastle Do Against Arsenal On Sunday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• carltoon

Apr 29, 2021 at 2:31 PM

WorB, you get my award making me laugh everyday, and trying to keep smiles on the posters faces. Please don’t leave! 🙂

• carltoon

Apr 29, 2021 at 2:33 PM

Mind! Unfortunately that’s what you get when you put yourself out there,

• cleveleysbob

Apr 29, 2021 at 2:33 PM

Carltoon, had my 2nd jab last Friday, been feeling a bit “off” all this week (almost flu like) just tired and head feeling stuffed up + muscle aches. Of course all that could just be my age 😉

After 1st one, perfect no after effects.

Anyway, feeling a bit better today so where are those tables to dance on?

• Adamn_92

Apr 29, 2021 at 2:33 PM

Carltoon

I was the same, felt fine after 1st but hit a bit harder with the second. Nobody else I know who’s had it felt that bad though, so i’m sure you’ll be fine as well 🙂

• magscar

Apr 29, 2021 at 2:36 PM

Mund

On paracetamol – i had heard same ( including from my niece who is a trainee GP and had bad rection to her first jab)

One of my daughters and my daughter in law were really hit a few weeks ago after theirs and took it with some good effect

BUT

wor lass told me there was something on TV just this morning whilst i was out walking (sorry BoF) advising against it as it dampens down the immune system and doesn’t help

She thinks it was a medical expert but maybe just an opinion.

Seemed odd to me as I had heard that younger vacinnees were having a worse reaction than older ones because they had a more effective immune system – so logic to me says if paracetmol dampend it down then that would mean less reaction against vaccine?

What do I know?

Each to their own

Off out for garden family gathering – with coat!

Later

• Mund

Apr 29, 2021 at 2:38 PM

magscar

Its all bloody confusing isn’t it mate.

Have fun with the family mate that time is golden

• Carson80

Apr 29, 2021 at 2:39 PM

Only post from me today got a few things to say.
    1 Welcome back Robleenio
    2 Heard from a source at the club if there’s no takeover they’ll be buying Shelvey a mobility scooter for next season as he’ll be an ever present.
    3 Graeme Jones I think was a recommendation by Jamie Reuben to his dad, who then told Ashley.
    4 My personal opinion is Gary Speed will enter the hall of fame before Rob Lee.
    5 Noting the article put up by Dubia Mickey this morning it seems Caulkin has gone soft on Bruce does this mean.
    a The consortium have slapped his wrists for leaking too much last summer and he’s spat his dummy out.
    b The PIF have said there will be no fan share of the club
    c Caulkin and the NUST after recent comments are joining forces and aligning with Mike Ashley.
    Hope you are all well, take care.

• Uncertain Toon/World

Apr 29, 2021 at 2:40 PM

Mund,

I caught a bit of the 3 amigos thing the other night and am sure Keith said he’s expecting something to happen this week or next. Not sure whether it was takeover related?

Liam Kennedy was on about a piece he’s done as well that is just waiting for the ok to be released.

Although they were on different programmes I’m assuming they’re talking about the same thing as they probably know the same people?

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 29, 2021 at 2:40 PM

Sitting in a beer garden on Blackpool seafront, beats that poxy rig 😀

• carltoon

Apr 29, 2021 at 2:41 PM

Bob, i let you know, definitely if the takeover gets done.

• magscar

Apr 29, 2021 at 2:41 PM

carltoon
    as to dancing on tables if i could get on one ( and down) and even dad dance maybe 🙂

I do have a history of it though – Hofbrau house in 70’s (Waterloo street) apparently i also rowed on the benches ?!

Not been back 🙂

• Wor B

Apr 29, 2021 at 2:42 PM

Mund

I was an ok goalkeeper but excelled in the bar afterwards.

I was pretty average on the squash court but excelled in the bar afterwards.

I was a decent medium pace swing bowler but excelled in the bar afterwards.

I’m an unpredictable golfer but excel in the bar after.

I’ve got one eye on the bowling green because they have a canny bar.

I’m never going to learn to play the piano.

😀

• cleveleysbob

Apr 29, 2021 at 2:42 PM

Question, non football – sorry,

Does anyone watch foreign stuff on TV with subtitles?

I once swore I wouldn’t ever, claimed I hated them – these days I watch more foreign stuff than U.K./US output and love them. Current 2 favourites “Bitter Daisies” from Galicia with choice of listening in Galician dialect or trad Spanish, and “Call my Agent” in French. Both on Netflix. 1st is a disturbing cop thing with more twists than Chubby Checker, the 2nd is just good drama/comedy around life in a theatrical agency, makes me laugh anyway.

Waiting for the story of NUFC in Europe, got to watch that, for you football only folk 😉

• Mund

Apr 29, 2021 at 2:43 PM

Uncertain

With things being said like you mention I’ve had the feeling something is lurking ready to come out.

Maybe all we are waiting on is being mathematically safe and finishing as high as possible before letting us all know we have been sold and will enter a new era! 😛

• Adamn_92

Apr 29, 2021 at 2:43 PM

I think the general consensus over paracetamol and ibuprofen in regards to the jab is don’t take any before the jab, as there’s a small chance it will weaken the effects of it. But there’s differing expert opinions on that. Also if you can avoid taking pain relief medication afterwards, then that’s the best thing to do but there’s nothing to suggest it’s bad to take some if you’re struggling a bit.

Basically nobody really knows but nothing to suggest anything bad will come of it so 🙂

• geordie157

Apr 29, 2021 at 2:43 PM

cleveleysbob, I’m torn on Fraser, on one hand he’s great for Scotland and he has a great understanding with Wilson so when fit him, Wilson, Saint-Maximin plus Almiron, Murphy will cause most sides problems.

On the other hand, he’s never been fully fit this season, we’ve seen the odd glimpse of quality and at times he seems disinterested (possibly due to to Bruce).

Would maybe give him one more season but if we need to box clever in the summer I would potentially cash in on him.

Actually he’s in that Shelvey category, at times he’s a 8 or 9 out of 10 but most weeks he’s a 5 or 6. Can’t afford to carry many of those in the squad.

• Mund

Apr 29, 2021 at 2:44 PM

Bob

Always been a lover of foreign films and TV. There is some amazing stuff out there

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Apr 29, 2021 at 2:44 PM

I know the Scottish game gets a bit of a knocking down in England but there are some good players who come from the SPL

Van Dijk
    Mcginn
    Mctominay
    Robertson
    Tierney
    Fraser

Also quite a few little youngsters in and around clubs Gilmour is going to be a superstar although will need to go out on loan from Chelsea next season

Its the same as buying from any league there isn’t really a guarantee at least Scottish league players are used to the “cold” in Newcastle I say that but coming from Scotland I find Newcastle to be soooo much warmer than up here!!!

• Mund

Apr 29, 2021 at 2:46 PM

Brilliant Wor 😀

I bet your right forearm or left was massive tho 😎

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Apr 29, 2021 at 2:46 PM

Kamara from Rangers looks like he would be ready to make the step up to the PL like a younger version of Diame total powerhouse!

Some Celtic players like Edouard, Christie etc all looked good under Rodgers but then Lennon pretty much ruined them this season

• Mund

Apr 29, 2021 at 2:47 PM

The sun out near you Jail?

• Adamn_92

Apr 29, 2021 at 2:47 PM

LCBP

In the awful 6-1 defeat to Villa in the youth cup, I thought the young lad Reagan Thomson we signed from Queens Park looked pretty decent. Seemed to show for the ball in the center of the park all the time and kept it nice and simple moving the ball around. I like to think in a few years he could be one to potentially make the step up.

• cleveleysbob

Apr 29, 2021 at 2:48 PM

Mags, Hofbrauhaus, bloody hell, made it twice, don’t remember getting home either time!

Organised bus trips from place I worked in Jarrow/South Shields, remember going, not coming back haha, maybe I didn’t 😉

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Apr 29, 2021 at 2:54 PM

@Adamn_92

Yeah he seemed highly rated haven’t had a chance to watch him as he came from Queens Park and they aren’t really on TV that much!

I do think Newcastle as a club should be spreading the net out wide we are the most northern premiership team we should be gobbling up all the regions talent and making sure we are first for any talent in Scotland at a minimum

Even Leeds seem to be sneaking geordie talent into their ranks ahead of us!

• Online Guy

Apr 29, 2021 at 2:54 PM

Lee charnley bunga party

Edinburgh in Mid February is biting ! Cuts right through you ..feels 10* colder than Newcastle same time of year and its only 100 miles north of the Toon.

I know what you mean about Winter weather up there..Brrr !

Bad enough here.

• Wor B

Apr 29, 2021 at 2:56 PM

Mund

Single handed kept several sporting clubs afloat over the years.

The first Mrs Wor named my cricket club in divorce. No sense of humour. 🙁

• geordie157

Apr 29, 2021 at 2:58 PM

Keep forgetting to throw a name out there that I keep hearing good things about but haven’t had the chance to see play.

Michael Olise at Reading only 19 and regular, anyone know much about him?

• Uncertain Toon/World

Apr 29, 2021 at 3:00 PM

Mund,

Neither said what it was about so it might not be about takeover, it could be evidence of the shyster 6 coming out of their underhandedness mate. I suppose it is takeover related. Maybe Liverpool and Spurs pressuring the EPL.

Liam said it’s already written, just needs okaying, must be some legal implications to get stuff checked like that before print.

• Wor B

Apr 29, 2021 at 3:01 PM

Early finish, 1st tee beckons.

Enjoy your pint Jail. I’ll be joining you later.

🙂

• geordie157

Apr 29, 2021 at 3:01 PM

Did a little bit of youtube research, seems similar to Eze who’s taken well to the premier league.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Apr 29, 2021 at 3:02 PM

Adam

I thought that a lot of the lads showed up well in that game but Anderson for me was the star.

That 6-1 score line wasn’t imo a true reflection of the game it was a lot closer than that bur Villa were definitely the better team and deserved the win, 2-1 would perhaps better reflect the game.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Apr 29, 2021 at 3:05 PM

Bob

Damn, has my crawling been a wasted effort, OK who should I be spending my obsequious efforts on to gain this coveted award?

• Uncertain Toon/World

Apr 29, 2021 at 3:06 PM

Woah, was that wor Tsunki?

Did he walk in the front door, down the hall, through the kitchen and straight out the back door?

• carltoon

Apr 29, 2021 at 3:12 PM

Hofbrauhaus, ah! The good old days.

• Wor B

Apr 29, 2021 at 3:13 PM

Uncertain

I’ve just painted the garden fence, he’ll have to come back through eventually.

Deffo away this time.

Later

• lochinvar

Apr 29, 2021 at 3:13 PM

Get out of Jail cards for the slimy six.
    You can bet no points deductions of fines, “this will suffice”
    Cover up time

Executives at clubs involved in the failed European Super League have been forced to resign from advisory roles at the Premier League.

The move is a consequence of the so-called ‘Big Six’ teams attempting to set up a league which drew widespread criticism before it fell apart.

The 14 other Premier League clubs felt betrayed by the move and demanded that executives involved, including Manchester United’s Ed Woodward, Liverpool’s Tom Werner and Manchester City’s Ferran Soriano, step down.

Woodward and Werner will no longer sit on the Premier League’s Club Broadcast Advisory Group.

Soriano and Arsenal’s chief executive Vinai Venkatesham will be removed from the Club Strategic Advisory Group, while Chelsea chairman Bruce Buck will no longer be on the Audit and Remuneration Committee.

Tottenham, who were also part of the short-lived European Super League breakaway, were not represented in the three groups, which were introduced 18 months ago and discuss ideas before they are presented to clubs to vote on.

• Chewingtoon

Apr 29, 2021 at 3:15 PM

I think a simple chant of “Graeme jones’ black and white army” should do the job. Imagine the look on Bruce’s face as hears that ringing round the ground!

• carltoon

Apr 29, 2021 at 3:16 PM

Loch! I’m disgusted nothing is going to be done about them, they’ve got off Scott free. Can you imagine if that had been any other clubs but them. How far does this corruption go.

• Uncertain Toon/World

Apr 29, 2021 at 3:16 PM

Jail,

Is The Bierkeller still there?

• carltoon

Apr 29, 2021 at 3:18 PM

Chewington, if I’m a chosen one, as i’m sure I’m in the top ten thousand, I’ll try my best, but where I sit, your frowned on if you breath