web analytics

Pundit Predicts Newcastle’s ‘Big Guns’ Will Take Advantage Of Arsenal’s ‘Priority’ On Sunday

BBC pundit Mark Lawrenson has given his predictions for this weekend’s Premier League matches. He has Newcastle defeating Arsenal 2-1 at St. James’ Park on Sunday.

This is the reasoning behind his prediction:

Arsenal’s priority has to be the Europa League now because it is the only way they are getting into Europe next season.

The Gunners are extremely inconsistent at the best of times and I just have a feeling Newcastle will come out on top here.

Part of that is down to the Magpies’ form – they have won two and drawn two of their past four games – but they also have their big guns back in attack and they have made a big difference.

Arsenal are currently trailing Villareal in the first leg of their Europa League semi-final. As Lawro states, The Gunners are well out of the European places at the moment in 10th place so their focus could remain on Villareal.

Newcastle are on an encouraging run in which we’ve lost just once in the last 8 matches while being unbeaten in the last four. So the Magpies carry some momentum into the match on Sunday.

Allan Saint-Maximin’s return has been nothing short of season-saving. The Frenchman has again shown his value to this team since coming back from his groin injury. His presence makes Newcastle a much different proposition on the pitch.

Last weekend, Newcastle got another goal from ‘super-sub’ Joe Willock. The midfielder will not be available on Sunday as he’s on loan from Arsenal. However, Steve Bruce could bring Callum Wilson back into the starting eleven to partner with Saint-Maximin.

Wilson looked up for it in his cameo at Anfield over the weekend. He seems to have fully recovered from his hamstring problem as evidenced by those pacy runs against the Reds.

Dealing with a front two of Wilson and Saint-Maximin for 90 minutes would be a handful for any defense. Especially one whose focus may be on elsewhere this Sunday.

How Will Newcastle Do Against Arsenal On Sunday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• magscar

Apr 29, 2021 at 10:27 PM

Another bit of Scotland

• Wor B

Apr 29, 2021 at 10:27 PM

Rom

Tiger out-drove me on the 5th using one of his crutches instead of his driver.

However he was unable to finish the hole and was disqualified. 🙁

Anyway in case you’re wondering, turns out you can bend an NHS crutch around someones neck! (as long as you’re out of view from the clubhouse).

• magicmac54

Apr 29, 2021 at 10:27 PM

John J
    Specially for you John before i hit the hay, nite nite

• magicmac54

Apr 29, 2021 at 10:29 PM

• Wor B

Apr 29, 2021 at 10:30 PM

Mund

I was referring to her ability to cut the legs off a poster for being cheeky!

Be afraid.

😀

• magscar

Apr 29, 2021 at 10:31 PM

Lots of good versions including that Corries one and this is my particular favourite

• Romford mag

Apr 29, 2021 at 10:32 PM

Wor

😆

• Nicky the ball tosser

Apr 29, 2021 at 10:33 PM

I don’t think there’ll be any money to buy Willock, since we won’t have had any match day revenue for going on two seasons, and we know Ashley doesn’t spend unless the money is in the bank.

Arsenal will most likely either want to keep him or sell him, so we have to really hope they’ll ultimately agree to another season’s loan, which is a concern for us.

Not out of the question we go into next term with the same group as this but minus Willock, and maybe with Gayle on a new deal. That’s a very Ashley type of approach.

If it does pan out that way then Bruce really must quit, before he’s driven out by a very unhappy fan base back in the ground causing a very justifiable ruck.

The right thing for Ashley to do is to secure Willock or similar, and a top centre forward to compete with Wilson, even if only on loan with the money saved by letting Atsu, Saivet, Carroll and Gayle go.

I wouldn’t bank on it though.

• JohnJ

Apr 29, 2021 at 10:33 PM

I see Arsenal got beat 2 – 1 probably the best result in terms of our team.

It means Arsenal have to have a full strength team at home for the 2nd leg of their match.

Fingers crossed!

• magscar

Apr 29, 2021 at 10:35 PM

John J

Good call let’s hope so

• JohnJ

Apr 29, 2021 at 10:36 PM

Thanks Magic!

• Mund

Apr 29, 2021 at 10:36 PM

Wor

Be afraid? I’ve already got the scars 😉 😆

• magscar

Apr 29, 2021 at 10:39 PM

Anyway got a date with a vaccine tomorrow and an early morning walk so was a fleeting visit but got caught up in music

Night all

• Wor B

Apr 29, 2021 at 10:42 PM

“money saved by letting Atsu, Saivet, Carroll and Gayle go”

Nicky, can’t we let Joelinton go as well please?

😉

• carltoon

Apr 29, 2021 at 10:42 PM

My talents must be well hidden, because even I can’t find them,

• cleveleysbob

Apr 29, 2021 at 10:43 PM

Don’t know what I think about this.

SSN are advertising the PL “run in” using one of their ex player pundits reading out SBR’s “what is a club”, but obviously we don’t get a mention, and they don’t name check Sir Bobby either, it’s like they’ve taken it as their own.

If they were using it to push “the entertainers” I’d be right with them, but the run in?

As proud as I am of Sir Bobby’s words, seeing them used for a load of other teams @ other grounds just doesn’t feel right. 🙁

• Wor B

Apr 29, 2021 at 10:43 PM

Good night and good luck for tomorrow Magscar

• carltoon

Apr 29, 2021 at 10:45 PM

What’s the bet, we keep all those and sell Maxi and Miggy,

• cleveleysbob

Apr 29, 2021 at 10:45 PM

Lesh, if your looking in sorry to here about you’re 2nd jab issues, at least mine only lasted about 5 days not several weeks, hope you’re sorted soon. 🙂

• cleveleysbob

Apr 29, 2021 at 10:46 PM

Loch, many congrats to your good lady, a memorable achievement.

• Wor B

Apr 29, 2021 at 10:47 PM

carltoon

Hidden talents are the most potent.

It’s like using a swear word in front of people who know you don’t swear.

• cleveleysbob

Apr 29, 2021 at 10:47 PM

This is my messaging catch up service, bear with 😉

• Nicky the ball tosser

Apr 29, 2021 at 10:49 PM

Well, I’m a Joel fan, so I just don’t hear the criticism. 😉

I especially like Joel, Sean, Manquillo and Fede. I think they are good footballers. I enjoy watching them play.

• cleveleysbob

Apr 29, 2021 at 10:49 PM

Lesh I’m also sorry that hear came out as here, can’t blame autocorrect, I’m afraid it was me 😀

• carltoon

Apr 29, 2021 at 10:50 PM

Bob, that’s disgraceful, they must have got permission to use it, do they show our ground, we should complain, although the way it’s written it means it could be any club. But still I’d be furious. Do they say it’s SBR words.

• NY Mag

Apr 29, 2021 at 10:52 PM

Just caught up.

Was nice to see robleenio back earlier…..you’ve been missed fella

Also, congratulations to mrs Loch, that’s some achievement!!

• cleveleysbob

Apr 29, 2021 at 10:53 PM

Carltoon, I’m more nervous about this closed season than recent years, because of the takeover or not being in the air, what Ashley might do if he doesn’t get his 30 pieces of silver?

Selling off the Crown Jewels is just the sort of thing he might do. I dislike the man intensely for what he’s turned our club into. 🙁

• NY Mag

Apr 29, 2021 at 10:54 PM

Carltoon, Bob

Knowing the gentleman that sir Bobby was, I don’t think he’d mind a bit that his words are being used in the context of the greater good of football.

• carltoon

Apr 29, 2021 at 10:55 PM

Bob it’s also disgraceful you can’t spell hear, at your age, you’re letting us legacy fans down.

• cleveleysbob

Apr 29, 2021 at 10:55 PM

Carltoon, not on the one I saw, no SJP and no mention or acknowledgment of whose words were being used. I was shocked!

• carltoon

Apr 29, 2021 at 10:58 PM

NYmag, as long as they have made it clear they were his words, that’s fine, and it was about being a GEORDIE fan. Of course he wouldn’t have minded in the least, he was such a fantastic person.

• cleveleysbob

Apr 29, 2021 at 10:59 PM

Carltoon haha, you’re right I’m sorry, must do better.

NY , good evening, I kind of agree, As I said originally, I didn’t know what to think. They are fabulous words and I just thought a line across the screen to acknowledge the author would have been a nice touch. As it is I’m a bit miffed, typical SKY, classless.

• Wor B

Apr 29, 2021 at 11:01 PM

Nicky

I always enjoy and respect your posts, well considered and constructed.

Don’t always agree but that’s what the blog is for, reasoned debate, opinions and the occasional fact thrown in!

😉

• NY Mag

Apr 29, 2021 at 11:03 PM

Carltoon, Bob

I haven’t seen it, so am not aware of the context.
    But, as you rightly say an acknowledgment of the great man would be in order.

• Mund

Apr 29, 2021 at 11:04 PM

They best not be taking the great mans words! How long has it took them to notice it’s one of the greatest statements of football!

He will always be one of our own tho and is loved across the world so I guess we can share him, just a little 😆

• cleveleysbob

Apr 29, 2021 at 11:05 PM

NY, they are just advertising their televised games for the PL “run in” and have someone reading out Sir Bobby’s words as the voice over.

• NY Mag

Apr 29, 2021 at 11:08 PM

Bob,

Thanks for clarifying….you would actually think sky would be happy to mention his name as it adds more weight to the words .

• carltoon

Apr 29, 2021 at 11:10 PM

Well I hope it was in a GEORDIE accent. 🙂

• Online Guy

Apr 29, 2021 at 11:12 PM

Hey

Iv just returned home and have had an amazing evening as I got to cuddle and Hug my Grandchildren first time for many months ..It was emotional, elated too.

Covid or no covid I am not going to wait again..its been a long year.

Geordie Tom I recall you looking forward to the same and I felt happy for you when you got to do the same.

Got to converse in French with the 5 year old ! was hilarious..and you know when you get to laugh so hard it starts hurting ? thats how it was . Brilliant.