web analytics

Pundit Predicts Newcastle’s ‘Big Guns’ Will Take Advantage Of Arsenal’s ‘Priority’ On Sunday

BBC pundit Mark Lawrenson has given his predictions for this weekend’s Premier League matches. He has Newcastle defeating Arsenal 2-1 at St. James’ Park on Sunday.

This is the reasoning behind his prediction:

Arsenal’s priority has to be the Europa League now because it is the only way they are getting into Europe next season.

The Gunners are extremely inconsistent at the best of times and I just have a feeling Newcastle will come out on top here.

Part of that is down to the Magpies’ form – they have won two and drawn two of their past four games – but they also have their big guns back in attack and they have made a big difference.

Arsenal are currently trailing Villareal in the first leg of their Europa League semi-final. As Lawro states, The Gunners are well out of the European places at the moment in 10th place so their focus could remain on Villareal.

Newcastle are on an encouraging run in which we’ve lost just once in the last 8 matches while being unbeaten in the last four. So the Magpies carry some momentum into the match on Sunday.

Allan Saint-Maximin’s return has been nothing short of season-saving. The Frenchman has again shown his value to this team since coming back from his groin injury. His presence makes Newcastle a much different proposition on the pitch.

Last weekend, Newcastle got another goal from ‘super-sub’ Joe Willock. The midfielder will not be available on Sunday as he’s on loan from Arsenal. However, Steve Bruce could bring Callum Wilson back into the starting eleven to partner with Saint-Maximin.

Wilson looked up for it in his cameo at Anfield over the weekend. He seems to have fully recovered from his hamstring problem as evidenced by those pacy runs against the Reds.

Dealing with a front two of Wilson and Saint-Maximin for 90 minutes would be a handful for any defense. Especially one whose focus may be on elsewhere this Sunday.

How Will Newcastle Do Against Arsenal On Sunday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Wor B

Apr 29, 2021 at 11:16 PM

Nite all, school night for me. 🙁

Take care.

• cleveleysbob

Apr 29, 2021 at 11:17 PM

Carltoon, Southern I think, a bit nondescript- certainly not Geordie, I would have liked that. 🙂

• NY Mag

Apr 29, 2021 at 11:17 PM

Goodnight WB,

Take care mate

• carltoon

Apr 29, 2021 at 11:21 PM

They may have made a large contribution to the SBR FOUNDATION. I hope so because surely it’s under copyright law

• cleveleysbob

Apr 29, 2021 at 11:21 PM

Night, Wor B thanks as always for all the great contributions and humour.

I’m going too, new laptop arriving tomorrow, for my good lady wife, need a clear head to set it all up for Mrs Cleveleys. I’ll stick with my IPad 😀

• carltoon

Apr 29, 2021 at 11:22 PM

WorB no! are you still at school. Be good,

• cleveleysbob

Apr 29, 2021 at 11:22 PM

Carltoon, that would be a decent gesture, if they have, night night 🙂

• carltoon

Apr 29, 2021 at 11:23 PM

Goodnight Bob,

• NY Mag

Apr 29, 2021 at 11:26 PM

Goodnight Bob,

Good luck with the laptop 🙂

• carltoon

Apr 29, 2021 at 11:30 PM

Yes Bob don’t try to smash the computer against the wall, if she can’t understand your instructions,

• onmeedsun

Apr 29, 2021 at 11:33 PM

Is there no end to this plagiarism. First other clubs pinch the Blaydon Races off us and now SSN using SBR’s immortal words. Although I’m convinced Mr Caulkin, who helped him write his book, teased those words out of him. But he has way too much class to take any credit.

• carltoon

Apr 29, 2021 at 11:37 PM

Onmeedson, he has mentioned it a few times that he co wrote the book, and he’s got a fantastic way with words, so yes it was probably a joint effort.

• martoon

Apr 29, 2021 at 11:37 PM

Just catching up and reading about Loch’s wife – if you’re still around my wife very similar retired from Nursing at Christmas and is really pleased she did. She’s been doing vaccinations but loves how she can pick and choose when to work and the relatively stress free work.

• NY Mag

Apr 29, 2021 at 11:41 PM

Onmeedsun,

Imitation is the greatest form of flattery

They’re just jealous of us 😀

• lochinvar

Apr 29, 2021 at 11:45 PM

cleveleysbob and the rest of the good crew
    Thanks for the good wishes for the Missus.
    She was 4 hours late leaving the building tonight after 42years nursing. They had a This is Your Life book for her. Some great thoughts from Consultants who were in their nappies when she started!
    I’ve shown her the blog and the messages tonight so was thrilled to see everyone and their kind words. It was a good move as she was getting suspicious thinking I was on some sort of dating site talking to Russian women Quite relieved to learn that it’s a football blog, well most of the time. Next track from her boy friend from their school days together. HWTLassies

• onmeedsun

Apr 29, 2021 at 11:45 PM

Carltoon
    I had the privilege of meeting SBR for a 5 minute chat about 20 years ago. He just enthused about football. I was at Stamford Bridge for a league cup q/f, which we lost 1-0. Walking up to our stand I looked back and saw SBR standing out back talking to a bloke. Happened to be one of his sons. I dithered a bit and then thought, I’ll never get this chance again, so I ran back and went up to them. I apologised for interrupting and just thanked him for rescuing the club and shook his hand. He’d have talked to me for ages and would probably have missed his team talk if I’d hung
    around. Loved him.

• Online Guy

Apr 29, 2021 at 11:46 PM

I missed this ..anyone else not seen it ?

• lochinvar

Apr 29, 2021 at 11:47 PM

For a very special ady

• lochinvar

Apr 29, 2021 at 11:48 PM

Ady?
    For a very special lady

• onmeedsun

Apr 29, 2021 at 11:50 PM

Loch
    I’ve just announced I’m leaving my business, but I’ve only been there 7 years. In all I’ve worked for 8 companies in nearly 40 years. And I’ve made strong bonds in many of them. But to do 40 years for one organisation and possibly in one area with the same faces in the team each day is something else. She will really miss it. And they will miss her.

• onmeedsun

Apr 29, 2021 at 11:53 PM

Hope this isn’t too racy for the night shift, but I’m lying in bed blogging. Maisie the cavalier King Charles spaniel is asleep at the bottom of the bed and my missus asleep on the other side of the dividing pillow wall. The two of them snoring in stereo. What joy!

• Mund

Apr 29, 2021 at 11:55 PM

OLG

That’s brilliant news mate I bet you feel on top of the world. Family and friends are everything, without either we are nothing.

• lochinvar

Apr 29, 2021 at 11:58 PM

Martoon
    Ommeedsun
    Cheers lads.
    Don’t think she’s going to help out with the vaccines like martoon’s lass which is commendable.
    She’s talking about volunteering to help colleagues with a charity that helps some very vunerable kids.Don’t know where she gets the energy. She only left the job 3 hours ago!

• onmeedsun

Apr 30, 2021 at 12:01 AM

Loch
    Some people are born to care for others.
    What would we do without them.

• lochinvar

Apr 30, 2021 at 12:01 AM

That’s me for tonight, so cheers.
    Hoping for a win at the wekkend. Think we could manage 3-0 and even Joelinton scoring.

• NY Mag

Apr 30, 2021 at 12:03 AM

Mund,

Too right mate.

I haven’t seen my parents in almost three years.

Always makes me a little bit sad when we are talking about sir Bobby, not just because of him, but it reminds me so much of me dad.

They were born in the same year, grew up together in the same village, went to school together and worked down the pit together.

I’ve heard some great stories about their youth.

• NY Mag

Apr 30, 2021 at 12:07 AM

Loch,

That sounds like a fine prediction, let’s hope it’s accurate 🙂

• Online Guy

Apr 30, 2021 at 12:08 AM

Watching on at Anfield last weekend one of our strikers was upended in the box by Pool’s Goalkeeper..he took our players legs away..Nothing given, not even looked at.

Andre Mariner..Var.. Bias on a major scale when it comes to the so called top six and the kudos they bring to the prem via European Champions league games,eh ?

Is there an agenda by the league to give said clubs more leeway and more decisions in their favour, a bias ?

Not a level playing field as far as officiating goes. Clear to see many times over many years and seasons

And just a thought but have the greedy six got round the Cyber table and decided that getting rid of each chief exec will placate the fans ?

Its disrespectful to the fans intelligence.

While the prem deny us our takeover at the behest of the so called big Six The so called big six are sneaking around the prems back doing underhanded deals to dump the prem

What planet are both entities on ?

Corruption and greed rules ok.

That and deception from Masters and Hoffman.

• Online Guy

Apr 30, 2021 at 12:16 AM

Mund

It really hit me afterwards just how much I had missed them.

Amazing.

BTW, I always take notice of how the training you are doing with the youth teams is going.

Who can they look up to without you imparting you’re experience and coaching skills ..its great what you do as I think we should all invest in Youth and help them down the long road.

World needs more people like you who invest time and passing on your skills

..The parents will appreciate it .

Mind some of them are a nightmare during a game..Like WW3 on the touchline.

Iv been through it all.

• Online Guy

Apr 30, 2021 at 12:24 AM

Lochinvar.

Say well bloody done to your missus for me Sir..Where would this country be without folk like her.

And dont worry I wont let anyone see these High def pictures of the Scotsman peeeing in the bushes in Leazes Park this eve..

Providing you pay the Sum of £77k by noon friday.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Apr 30, 2021 at 12:25 AM

Saved this for the nightshift.

If you like the Scottish pipes and Andre Rieux , this hits the spot.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Apr 30, 2021 at 12:32 AM

This was one of the comments on the site.

‘if they don’t play this at my funeral I’m not going’

I’m thinking likewise! 🙂

• NY Mag

Apr 30, 2021 at 12:33 AM

Bill,

Quite good, but I preferred this one :-

• Chewingtoon

Apr 30, 2021 at 12:42 AM

That was beautiful

• Online Guy

Apr 30, 2021 at 12:46 AM

NY Mag

My Daughter shared her drive with Sir Bobby Robson and family.

Behind the same walls.

• Online Guy

Apr 30, 2021 at 12:47 AM

House next door so to speak

• NY Mag

Apr 30, 2021 at 12:49 AM

OLG,

A sure privilege….where was that?

When he lived back in the north east?

• Online Guy

Apr 30, 2021 at 12:50 AM

Bobby’s brother used to run a small shop in Langley Park..spoke to him many times and I wont feel embarrassed in telling you he was a Lovely Bloke.

Right ..got to lock up etc.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Apr 30, 2021 at 12:50 AM

NY Mag

Aye that was indeed a bonny wee toon! 🙂

• Online Guy

Apr 30, 2021 at 12:52 AM

NY Mag

I wanted to say more but stopped myself .. Bobby was also a friend to my daughters father in law.

if I just say not far from HT . will do it in a grid reference one day to you.