web analytics

Local Lad Reveals How He Fought His Way Back Into Bruce’s Thinking

It’s been another season of toil for Sean Longstaff under Steve Bruce. The promising young midfielder has experienced long spells out of the team beginning with the start of the campaign.

Longstaff didn’t get his first league start until the win against Everton in November, though he did start all of the league cup matches. The Everton game began an eight-match string of starts for the local lad culminating in the disappointing defeat at Brentford in the quarter-finals of the Carabao Cup.

That was one of the many low points of this season as the lads meekly let a fabulous opportunity for a cup semi-final slip away. Steve Bruce had started a very strong squad bringing striker Callum Wilson and then number-one goalkeeper Karl Darlow into the team.

Sean Longstaff was on the bench for the next two matches before returning for the losses to Leicester and Sheffield United, another low point of the season. After the defeat to the Blades, which represented their first win in the league, Longstaff was out of the team for the next few months.

When asked about Sean and his brother Matty’s absence from the team in February, Bruce said that the duo must ‘roll up their sleeves’, ‘be prepared for competition for places’, and ‘find that consistency.’

Sean finally fought his way back into the team. It was after another low point in the 3-0 loss at Brighton just before the international break. Bruce again made wholesale changes to his team and formation.

Longstaff was back in the starting eleven for the draw against Spurs. He had made his first appearance in months as a substitute at the Seagulls. Longstaff played very well against Tottenham and has kept his place during our four-match unbeaten streak.

He gave an interview with NUFC TV earlier in the week and said the following about his recent run of games:

“I’m loving it obviously. To be out for, or not play a game for three months was really frustrating. It would have been quite easy to go the other way.

“That’s not the type of person I am. That’s not the type of person my Mam and Dad raised. When the going gets tough, it’s about finding out who you are really. I’ve got a really good strong group around me.

“There were a lot of times in those three months where I thought I trained really well. I went home and looked myself in the mirror and was happy with what I was doing.

“I knew if I did get a chance, I would be ready. Obviously, what you do in training replicates itself on the pitch.

“So I was confident when I got back in the team. I was just waiting for the opportunity. It probably took longer than I wanted it to. Hopefully, I’m not going to let my chance go past me.”

In his short career so far, Longstaff has struggled for consistency. That seems to go hand in hand with his confidence. Though, he showed great fortitude in getting through his disappointment earlier this year.

Sean did all that he really could do, which was train as hard he possibly could. Later in the interview, he revealed that he’s his own worst critic and is sort of a perfectionist with his training and performances.

This is how Longstaff responded when asked about the high expectations he has set for himself:

“Yes, 100%. The staff says pretty much every day to stop being so hard on myself.

“I want to be perfect in everything that I do. If that doesn’t happen I can sort of beat myself up a little bit.

“I’d rather be that way than let things slide and not do things properly.

“I probably am my own worst critic. It’s probably good at times and not so good at others.

“It’s ultimately about me working hard every day and getting better every day. I feel as though the best way to do that is to be extra critical of myself.”

Unfortunately, Matty Longstaff hasn’t had his opportunity just yet. With the brothers both entering the final year of their current deals, we’ll probably witness another contract saga played out next season.

As for now, all they do is train as hard as possible and hopefully, Matty’s chance will come and Sean will continue to improve as a player.

How Will Newcastle Do Against Arsenal On Sunday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Reilly

Apr 30, 2021 at 10:44 AM

Premier League clubs are set to be allowed up to 500 away fans attending matches in the final two rounds of the season as part of crowds of 10,000 supporters. [The Times]

• Mund

Apr 30, 2021 at 10:45 AM

Miles Starforth
    @milesstarforth
    14m
    Steve Bruce on a summer move for Joe Willock: ‘I don’t know where the £20m (price tag) has come from. We have to have a conversation with Arsenal. We don’t even know if he’s available. I do know that Joe’s enjoyed it here.’ #nufc #afc

• Wor B

Apr 30, 2021 at 10:45 AM

I said this yesterday but it was lost in other stuff, think it fits today’s discussion…

We’ve had some success and stability in the team in recent weeks. I’m thinking Stevie boy won’t go for any big change in format or personnel.

Introducing some big impact players from the bench has undoubtedly been a major plus of late but something we probably won’t have with Willock ineligible and Wilson as a starter.

A lot will depend on which Arsenal turn up, they are still formidable when firing on all cylinders but beatable if we show the spirit of late.

Think he will go with this…

………..StMax………………Wilson…………
    ……Almiron…….Shelvey………Lobby…….
    Ritchie…………………………………..Murphy
    …….Dummet……Clark……….Fede………
    …………………….Dubs………………………

• Reilly

Apr 30, 2021 at 10:47 AM

Keith Downie
    @SkySports_Keith
    Steve Bruce on social media boycott: “I was talking with my son about abuse a referee was getting & he said ‘Dad, it’s nothing compared to what you get.’ I looked & was like ‘wow’. But on the flip side social media got me my dog back after it ran away from a Firework display.”

• Mund

Apr 30, 2021 at 10:48 AM

Someone get Alex Bruce out of his dads ear he is filling his head full of nonsense

• Mund

Apr 30, 2021 at 10:49 AM

SB on current form:

“We’re certainly in a better position than we were a month ago. We’ve only lost one of our last eight games so just at the right time we’ve found a bit of resilience. We’ve had our big players in key areas fit which has coincided with the upturn in results.”

• magscar

Apr 30, 2021 at 10:53 AM

On Longstaff like a lot of young players his form can vary and team predicament can’t help.

Not sure if he will regain or add to the play that got him being compared with Declan Rice but would like it if he and Matty cou!d become regular first teamers- just not sure

• english yeoman

Apr 30, 2021 at 10:53 AM

Lobby Jnr is a cracking young player and exactly the sort of home grown talent we should be nurturing and getting signed to a long term contract. Same for his brother Lobby Jnr Jnr.

People often forget some of these young lads are just out their teens and have only really played a handful of PL games. Yet folk are far to quick to jump on any mistakes and they get compared to seasoned pro internationals.

The only noticeable alternative NUFC have to bringing kids through, is to scour the French league for bargain basement ‘hopefuls’ who rarely (if ever) care less about our team. It’s like asking you to sweat blood for Metz, “sod that” they say and understandably so. HWTL

• Wor B

Apr 30, 2021 at 10:54 AM

Haha

If Steve ran away instead of his dog I wonder how long it would take social media to get him back?

• carltoon

Apr 30, 2021 at 10:55 AM

I think Wilson will start, they can always take him off, and put AC on in the latter stags of the game.

• Mund

Apr 30, 2021 at 10:55 AM

Keith Downie
    @SkySports_Keith
    Replying to
    @SkySports_Keith
    “So I’m all for the boycott because we should all be accountable for what we write. People shouldn’t be allowed to write these things. I continually worry about young, vulnerable people and the affects it has on them.”

• Mund

Apr 30, 2021 at 10:55 AM

Wor

I guess just follow the smell of bacon?

• carltoon

Apr 30, 2021 at 10:56 AM

WorB 😀

• Mund

Apr 30, 2021 at 10:57 AM

If it is indeed right about AC getting 35K every substitute appearance I doubt we will see him feature again this season and maybe not at all.

• magscar

Apr 30, 2021 at 10:57 AM

On Sunday’s game I’ve got that queasy feeling that after our short good run , key players returning , Arsenal in shaky form and needing to concentrate on Uefa that everything is set for another disappointment – it’s just the Toon 🙁

Take a draw but fingers crossed for better

• magscar

Apr 30, 2021 at 10:59 AM

Vaccine with my name on it awaits – later – maybe 😉

• Mund

Apr 30, 2021 at 11:00 AM

Magscar

Remember the paracetamol mate. Good luck

• Wor B

Apr 30, 2021 at 11:06 AM

I think Sunday’s game hinges a lot on how far up the pitch we can play the wing backs. If we’re hard pressed into 5-3-2 it’s gonna be tough going. I’d like us to continue with a more adventurous 3-5-2 and carry the game to them.

Miggy seems subdued and constrained atm, now might be the right time to give a bit more freedom and give Arsenal something else to think about as well as StMax and cannon ball Wilson torturing them!

• geordietom

Apr 30, 2021 at 11:33 AM

OLG …

just caught up with the comments , glad to hear you got to see your grandkids after not seeing them for quite a while nice is’nt it , ive got mine coming over later got two birthdays today so granda’s wallets gonna take a hit tonight 😀