web analytics

Bruce Refutes Willock’s Reported Price Tag And Reveals His Expectations For Summer Window

With Newcastle edging toward safety, the topic of the upcoming summer transfer window was broached during Steve Bruce’s press conference for Arsenal this morning.

While Bruce was adamant that 36 points were not enough and that there is still much work to do, he admitted to feeling a lot better than just a month ago when Newcastle were really in the thick of a relegation fight.

Newcastle have been steadily linked with a few players of late, such as Celtic’s Kristoffer Ajer, who could be one of our top targets this summer. However, Bruce again expressed his desire to bring Joe Willock back next season.

Bruce was quick to warn that the 21-year-old is an Arsenal player and conversations were still to be had. However, Bruce did throw doubt on recent reports that Willock’s price tag had been set at £20m saying the following:

“Journalists have put the price tag. Certainly, I don’t know where the supposed £20m price tag has come from.

“I think that’s the more pressing thing is that we have to have a conversation with Arsenal, and we have to respect the fact that he’s an Arsenal player, and he’s a young player too.

“So, we don’t even know if he’s available yet. So until we have those conversations with Arsenal?

“I do know that Joe’s enjoyed it here. Why wouldn’t he? The football world is talking about him. To get three in three, and coming on as a sub has got everybody talking about Joe Willock.

“He’s done very well for us as a really young lad, we’re delighted with him.”

As Bruce stated, it’s unclear whether Willock will even be available this summer. Arsenal may very well want to keep their young midfielder at the Emirates, and who would blame them?

However, since he’s getting first-team football, it may serve both Willock and Arsenal to allow him on another season-long loan at Newcastle next year. Bruce did confirm that Willock would be starting if that were to happen:

“If we can get him for next year, he won’t be a super-sub. I think he’ll be playing.”

Another loan deal may be all that Newcastle can afford this summer as transfer funds are expected to be limited. However, the coffers may not be completely dry. Bruce was asked about how plans for this summer were shaping up.

Bruce admitted that he didn’t expect much of a transfer kitty, however, he said would do his best to squeeze every last penny out of Ashley that he could. Here are Bruce’s expectations on the upcoming window:

“I’m sure every club will be scrutinizing a Bosman, for example. They’re always attractive for obvious reasons. Look you quietly plan ahead, of course, you do.

“I think with every club, the managers that I speak to have no doubt been hit badly financially, which is understandable when you consider the past year. We’re all going to have to cut our cloth.

“That’s always difficult. I have to understand, and all the supporters will understand to, that there won’t be millions and millions and millions of pounds spent this summer.

“We’re not alone in that. Up and down the country clubs have been struggling.

“We’ll see what we’ve got. It’s my job to batter down the door and get as much as I can and see what we can do.”

How Will Newcastle Do Against Arsenal On Sunday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Mund

Apr 30, 2021 at 3:29 PM

😆 carltoon. She knew you well then 😉

• The Prince's Mate

Apr 30, 2021 at 3:29 PM

Alex Bruce is still a young man and I wonder what his plans are for the future….it all seems a bit patchy to me.
    Maybe he’s just another cabbage patch kid…. aaaalllll get me coat

• carltoon

Apr 30, 2021 at 3:30 PM

And, that day I was lucky enough to get invited to the players lounge, guess who was the first people we saw, ha ha i was Crikey are you following me. Well I told the girl the next match, your friends a bit of a bitch,

• Optimistic prime

Apr 30, 2021 at 3:31 PM

Online Bully

This is my last post directed at you!

Remember when The Wife said to you “no one on the blog thinks you Rob old ladys”

Notice how she DIDN’T say,

No one on the blog thinks you’re a bully?

You probably didn’t, like you didn’t notice Munds abuse aimed at me yesterday.

Your faux outrage and determination to have myself and others banned proves what a odious man you are.

I’m skipping yours and others posts, I only looked at yours after reading Adams post!

Your a sad bitter man with a grudge against a few, your continued attacks on Jail alone prove your a bully.

You can easily skip my posts or quit the blog, I don’t mind as you don’t matter!

Direct your future posts to the trash bin where they belong.

• Online Guy

Apr 30, 2021 at 3:31 PM

The nightshift had a mellow feel to it at one time. Was Good

Last night was decent.

Reminds me of the ambience and atmosphere the old grey whistle test had with Whispering Bob Harris .

I suppose Whispering Wor Bill from essex will suffice.

• Mund

Apr 30, 2021 at 3:31 PM

OP

Do you mind keeping my name out of it when debating with others please.

• Munster Mag

Apr 30, 2021 at 3:32 PM

OP, we see the same thing here

Thomond Park, home of Munster Rugby can be a bit of a bear pit ( thankfully) but we were playing one of the big English teams Northampton , and the atmosphere had died as they were taking control. Family down from me, 3 kids on mobile phones gaming. So many proper fans couldnt get a ticket for yet another sell out. the little kids were beginning to irritate me as they were even distracting their Dad who was clearly a proper fan, but too nice to say anything. Next thing , the Munster anthem ” Stand Up and Fight” started and a bloke in front of me turns to the kids are roars ” this is your birthright – get behind the lads” !!

Suddenly everyone is roaring, the kids are up and at it. My fellow didnt need to be told, obviously!

The whole stand is on its feet, belting it out, red everywhere.

2 minutes later we score a try, the levels go up , the kids are roaring Munster Munster.

It was magnificent and we won comfortably . I met some Northampton fans afterwards and they had been sitting a few rows back behind me and said they had never seen anything like it anywhere, this mad but passionate roaring at the kids to get behind their “birthright” . Comical but it worked 🙂

I’ll never forget it.

Lesson , there are part fans everywhere who need to be shouted at 🙂

• carltoon

Apr 30, 2021 at 3:34 PM

The thing is I’m quiet in my real life. But the joke with family, is they won’t watch the match with me, but I’ve made friends with the people around me so I’m not all bad.

• Chewingtoon

Apr 30, 2021 at 3:35 PM

Has there been any “good” players for us in recent years that we haven’t sold? All the big names seem to get shifted on for a profit? The only time I seem to remember trying to actually hold on to a player was Collocini but even then he wanted off?

About atmosphere etc. I only really go to away games, got a mate who sorts me a ticket when he can from time to time and I can honestly say I don’t think I’ve been anywhere that hasn’t been a good day/night out……maybe the villa match just before the first lockdown was a bit rubbish but I hadn’t been in a few years before that!

• Mund

Apr 30, 2021 at 3:36 PM

carltoon

I imagine we could be the same when watching the match as the missus tells me off constantly for being to loud or a bag of bloody nerves. Kids go mad as I scare the life out of them when I shout at the TV 😆 they just don’t get it

• Optimistic prime

Apr 30, 2021 at 3:36 PM

Carltoon

I know a few little ladies with huge voices at the match.

• carltoon

Apr 30, 2021 at 3:36 PM

Ha ha it may be me

• The Prince's Mate

Apr 30, 2021 at 3:36 PM

Toon22@4
    I reckon he would stay but I cant see giant haystacks paying the reasonable asking price…as always

• Online Guy

Apr 30, 2021 at 3:36 PM

OP

Show me where Im a bully .

Show me ..a simple request. Show me.

You make it up and hope it sticks.

Please in the interests of blog peace don’t ever address me, talk to me, or make reference to me in you’re posts again .

Thats the last time I speak with you and so wish I could never ever see your abusive posts again.

Im done with you .

• Mund

Apr 30, 2021 at 3:37 PM

OLG

Leave it mate just relax pal

• carltoon

Apr 30, 2021 at 3:38 PM

Yes Mund, i watch the match on my own, if I can get it on the tele.

• cyprus

Apr 30, 2021 at 3:41 PM

A whopping 85% think we’ll get a result and more than half of them think we’ll win! And, interestingly, 16% think we’ll lose – “interestingly” because that adds up to 101% 🙂

I think we’ll need to give 110% to get something.

Even Lawro says we’ll win. “Betting Expert” (Telegraph) says we’ll win. The Ev. Standard tips us to win. Perhaps more crucially, I’m betting NUFC. So we’ll win.

Well, not so fast: Arsenal have a much better team and far superior players and the stats are in their favour. Despite their more important upcoming game, they need momentum.

We are the underdogs, when you get carried away always ask the people who put their money where their mouth is, the bookies. Still: Watched the Villareal game, the Spanish team got behind Arsenal’s defense with smart, quick passes in Arsenal’s box, we need to try and emulate that. BTW, the Arsenal penalty wasn’t a penalty.

• Australian Pie

Apr 30, 2021 at 3:43 PM

Wor B

That Arbelour 12yr old is such good value… Have bought it multiple times and is my go to tasty everyday whisky

• Optimistic prime

Apr 30, 2021 at 3:43 PM

Been thinking about the takeover Bruce etc and next season.

This season has been, I don’t know how to describe it, I’m not sure one word can cover it.

Theres a bit elation atm but mostly it’s been dire soul destroying football.

If the takeover doesn’t go through and we go into the start of next season with Bruce, another deplated squad patched together, where are we going to end up?

This season has been truly awful with highlights as rare as rocking horse shit, I never want a repeat of such a hopeless season, yet a much worse one could quite easily be on the cards.

I’m hoping for the best and trying to prepare for the worse, except I think it’s impossible to prepare for the nightmare that could transpire.

I hate having all my eggs in one basket, so I try and keep one foot on the ground, no one can predict the future, if they could bookies wouldn’t exist.

• The Prince's Mate

Apr 30, 2021 at 3:43 PM

The Dutch lad who had to go back because of injuries…forgot his name, he showed a bit of class, young willock…I’d nearly break the bank to get him I just know he’s going to be massive in a couple of years and he’s certainly got class but who are we looking at??? some kid from uddersfield allegedly…..class

• magscar

Apr 30, 2021 at 3:44 PM

OLG

I don’t necessarily disagree with your take but looking realistically at how things flare up and escalate the Admin struggle to referee and dish out appropriate punishments.

I have only been back on for a few weeks and may have missed some other big fights but the other nifght ( which some obviously enjoy viscarally) was the worst i can recall in terms of interaction with Admin

This was Ed’s Blog and atarted and run in a very innocent internet world before Twitter weaponised it and business wanted in for advertising.

Neil and The Wife are doing their best to control situation like the other night.

I can see that there was a straightforward response that would have satisfied you and Mund but not necessarily others – it’s a difficult call and can’t be knee jerk.

Through my own fault I have become involved in posting about it and it has taken time and delicacy for me to compose posts on the hoof

I don’t think they have the time and energy in what is not real time but always catch up to act immediately – this is an “amateur” (in best possible sense) operation

Whether we like it or not I have reached the conclusion that we have to self regulate ourselves better if we don’t want it to collapse – it needs everyone to realise what is at stake here

If posters want to fire arrows back even when feeling provoked or maligned it’s like Agincourt but with long bowmen on both sides – carnage

I have been drawn into feuds before and sided with underdogs but it never solved anything and got me responding more than i cared to as it just didn’t relent and flared up every few days.

I have stepped away when I felt I wasn’t getting from the Blog what i used to and couldn’t afford time and effort to read what was becoming too often repetitious posts, point scoring, insult trading, wit at others expenseand so on. Others have different views and tipping points as we are all different and interact differently so it’s individual choice but not being driven from Blog

I’m desperate not to take sides nor to keep interfering and can only ask sincerely for all to take a breath and avoid confrontation

Big ask granted especially when posters feel personally got at.

For me trying the Gandhi /Martin Luther King approach is surely worth a try for a few days and Blog may recover what different posters feel has been lost – we clearly don’t all feel the same

Happy to chat where you and others want to but I don’t want to beth self appointed peace keeper as I bore enough already and i do actually have a non-serious side which gets buried 🙂

• captainmarvel

Apr 30, 2021 at 3:45 PM

Ooops..Just been looking at why your likely to get cold symptoms or a sore arm among other side effects of having one of the vaccines..
    Ive had the Astra Zenecca with no real symptoms apart from getting the shivers occasionally. Some vaccines like the Phizer a sore arm is quite often a side effect..
    I thought they used a live virus in the vaccines but that is not true, it’s called an endovirus which is a genetically created virus which can give bronchial, and other symptoms like flu like, however, it is well worth these symptoms if it keeps covid at bay! Not so good for the guys who get blood clots though..

• Australian Pie

Apr 30, 2021 at 3:45 PM

Hopefully Arsenal come out starting Nketiah, Ceballos, Chambers, etc and it should be a good end to end match.

Just our luck Aubamayeng returns just in time for us haha but hopefully unfit.

Hopefully they rest Lacazette, Smith-Rowe, Saka, Odegaard for the Europa

• carltoon

Apr 30, 2021 at 3:45 PM

Willams, he’s a free agent, but is he too injury prone

• Mund

Apr 30, 2021 at 3:45 PM

TPM

I wouldn’t believe any reports linking us with players. Who is actually watching these players? Isn’t everyone still on furlough?

Click bait IMO and the one thing that drives me nuts about football the countless links of players what never materialise

• magscar

Apr 30, 2021 at 3:46 PM

sorry to non-wokers 😉

• Optimistic prime

Apr 30, 2021 at 3:48 PM

I love peas, marrow fat, garden, mushy, love peas so much.

• Mund

Apr 30, 2021 at 3:48 PM

Magscar, well said mate

• cyprus

Apr 30, 2021 at 3:48 PM

OP,
    If what we’ve been served lately has been soul destroying football, destroy my soul one more time lads on Sunday, ASM, Wilson, Ritchie, Murphy, Almiron, Dubravka et al :O)

• The Prince's Mate

Apr 30, 2021 at 3:49 PM

Australian@98
    I’ve just treat myself to a bottle of Bunnahabhain its on special at £25…never had it before and keeping it for later but I’ve just noticed its 46.3% proof….sippin whisky i reckon…have you tried it?

• Optimistic prime

Apr 30, 2021 at 3:49 PM

Cyprus

Looking at results instead of perf

• carltoon

Apr 30, 2021 at 3:52 PM

Please let the real hard worker NEWCASTLE turn up on Sunday, at least get a point

• Mund

Apr 30, 2021 at 3:53 PM

We are taking all 3 wee lassie 😎

• carltoon

Apr 30, 2021 at 3:53 PM

I agree the performances haven’t been great but the results are all that matter at this end of the season.

• The Prince's Mate

Apr 30, 2021 at 3:54 PM

Too true Mund,its one of the reasons I don’t come on here as much as I think we’re all being suffocated with lazy journo click bait and prefer it when it’s fresh and worth talking about, though I still think this blog is the one all others try to imitate

• captainmarvel

Apr 30, 2021 at 3:54 PM

Magscar I think that is why some people who used to post just read now rather than get involved.
    Me, I’ve seen it all before and just watch from the sidelines. It just get embarrassing at times reading the comments. Personally going back 10, 15, years it has always been there bit since facebook it has got steadily worse.
    Everyone should think about the people who run the blog instead of themselves..

• Australian Pie

Apr 30, 2021 at 3:55 PM

Princes mate

Have never tried but from memory £25 for that 12 year old is amazing value. The Arbelour you can occasionally get for £28 on amazon (usually £36)

• captainmarvel

Apr 30, 2021 at 3:55 PM

Wish you could edit!

• Munster Mag

Apr 30, 2021 at 3:56 PM

OP , the two of us are reasonably civil these days I think?

• carltoon

Apr 30, 2021 at 3:57 PM

I’m always glass half empty, and think I may jinx the results if I think we’re going to win. Like my daughter once told me “I suck the joy out of life” i couldn’t believe it, surely not. 🙄