web analytics

Bruce Laments Below Par Performance As An Opportunity Is Missed Against The Gunners

A disappointed Steve Bruce has spoken to NUFC TV after today’s 2-0 defeat at home against Arsenal.

It was a self-destructive start as the Magpies were stagnant out of the box. Arsenal immediately pounced on the passive Magpies and found their breakthrough very early in the match.

Bruce wanted to take advantage of Arsenal’s congested schedule with them competing in Europe mid-week. However, the lads failed to show up and were soon down 1-0 in the opening minutes.

This was Bruce’s take on today’s proceedings:

“Sometimes you have to hold your hands up as Arsenal were better than us on the day. We knew to beat Arsenal we had to play well. We had to match where we’ve been and unfortunately we weren’t.

“The goal after four minutes set us back because the one thing we wanted to do was to start aggressively, be on the front foot against them because let’s be fair, they’ve been all over Europe this week.”

Newcastle showed very little in the first half as they struggled to fashion any chances. However, it wasn’t a complete collapse like we’ve seen on occasion this season. Newcastle were basically outplayed and outcoached and had no answers to turn the game around.

The second half was marginally better but Arsenal keeper Mathew Ryan was rarely ever tested. When the Gunners bagged their second goal, the sails went completely limp for the Magpies until very late in the match when they pushed forward with four strikers on the pitch.

Bruce said the following about our lack of a threat in the final third:

“Just after halftime, I thought we had our best spell of the game. But unfortunately, they went up the other end of the pitch and scored.

“We huffed and puffed all afternoon. We didn’t really have that penetration going forward like we have had of late.

“I thought Allan (Saint-Maximin) did all his best work too deeply. He went searching for the ball in deeper areas which is something we can work on and keep him higher up the pitch.”

Finally, Bruce bemoaned the lost opportunity today. A win would have seen Newcastle up to 13th in the table and 12 points clear of Fulham. However, the performance was nowhere near good enough for a result.

Bruce said the following when asked about getting as many points as possible to close the season:

“Of course, we have to. The disappointing thing for me is we could have been 13th today.

“We knew we had to play well. We didn’t. We didn’t play well enough to beat a very good Arsenal team on the day.”

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player In 2-0 Defeat Against Arsenal?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• The Prince's Mate

May 3, 2021 at 12:02 AM

Wltoon. The game as us old timers knew it,has well and truly gone.
    Cant tackle, body check, even some advances towards the goalie…have all gone……this super league takeover was thankfully quashed before it began but some of its intentions remain unfortunately

• NY Mag

May 3, 2021 at 12:04 AM

Nicky,

Not a bad suggestion.

Obviously trying to get Willock is a no brainer…I think we’ll possibly get him on season long loan with an option to buy.

But Abrahams, why would he come to us?….he’d want a starting place, and I don’t think he’ll get that with Wilson still around.

• Optimistic prime

May 3, 2021 at 12:07 AM

NY

Not sure if you saw my post couple nights ago.

Men who built America.

Theres also one on frontiersman, wasn’t sure if you knew or had mentioned it.

• Optimistic prime

May 3, 2021 at 12:07 AM

Guessing it was first one

• NY Mag

May 3, 2021 at 12:12 AM

OP,

I did see it.
    Thanks for pointing it out, I hadn’t realized that what I watched was series2

I’ll look the first one up, really enjoyed the one I watched and looking forward to the next one

• The Prince's Mate

May 3, 2021 at 12:18 AM

Bruce doesn’t do tactics, but does he like ticktacks????

• Optimistic prime

May 3, 2021 at 12:19 AM

Worth a look

NY

I preferred Frontiers one, really good for a history lesson on the individual states.

• Jail for Ashley

May 3, 2021 at 12:25 AM

I watched motd tonight, had really bad reception on that satellite today, because they all look the same I forgot that was the worse one for phone signal. It didn’t sound too bad on the radio, but because I’ve been on nights I fell asleep on the heli deck and didn’t wake up until 54 minutes, so didn’t really miss that the signal had been dropping in and out. Let’s be honest here though, even when playing OK, the people that post on matchdsys tend to give a really skewed view of events of what’s being happening!

• Optimistic prime

May 3, 2021 at 12:28 AM

NY..

Just looked, Frontiers men came out second.

The one you watched is the original, I watched the Frontier first and assumed that’s how they’d filmed them.

• Optimistic prime

May 3, 2021 at 12:29 AM

Jail

They played round and through us, we were completely toothless, just there to make up the numbers.

Normal service as before the mini run.

• NY Mag

May 3, 2021 at 12:33 AM

OP,

No worries, you’ve put me onto something new anyway….that’s always a good thing!!

• Online Guy

May 3, 2021 at 12:36 AM

Lochinvar

I have not had the time to read any of todays comments but caught your one at @6

Well said on the need to expose Manchester United’s Part in having the legitimate sale of Newcastle United stopped.

Restriction on trade to start with.

Cahoots.

I’v got a feeling in me water that Hoffman and Masters are for the sacrificial chop to save face for the inept corrupt Premier League, that and the pair of them sneaking around in implementing the so called Top six wishes in stopping the Sale , Amanda told us of that so it cannot be denied.

Notice I’v named Both clubs in full like Ron Manager might..Old School !

• Essex Geordie Bill

May 3, 2021 at 12:40 AM

No mention on MOTD about the blatant body check by Shaka that should have been a yellow card to add to his 1st and a sending off.

And I also thought the red for Schar was over the top, OK we were cra*p today but the clown with the whistle didn’t help.

• Nicky the ball tosser

May 3, 2021 at 12:40 AM

Yeah I agree NY, it’d be tough to get either player. Abraham wouldn’t be too keen on coming, seeing it as a step down, and bigger clubs would come in for him and I also think Willock will likely be kept by Arsenal, and if let go, would get a better offer from a better run club and probably take it. Still you’d want the club to go after them because they are the right players at the right time. Not sure Wilson would keep Abraham out the side either. Abraham is a very good player.

• Essex Geordie Bill

May 3, 2021 at 12:42 AM

I would put money on the probability that TFG does absolutely no homework on teams, whilst they have him totally sussed out.

• Essex Geordie Bill

May 3, 2021 at 12:44 AM

I missed the toon22 show last night what were the highlights?

• Online Guy

May 3, 2021 at 12:51 AM

Bill

There was no mention of the blatant vicious body check on ASM on match of the day last week in the Liverpool game ..they did not even show it and it was the worst foul of that particular Game.

We had a Bad referee today mind, saying that we played badly , toothless.

Arsenal players going down when the wind blew .

• NY Mag

May 3, 2021 at 12:59 AM

Nicky,

I’m all for opinions, I still think currently Wilson is above Tammy.
    Obviously that depends on the manager and what they think.

I also think willock likes it with us and what he thinks will play a big bearing on where his future lies. He’s not gonna get many minutes with Arsenal, assuming they will recruit more in the summer then he drops further down the pecking order (and he very rarely got a game anyway)

I don’t think we’ll sign him outright, the money isn’t there for that.

I do agree with what you’ve said previously, we need a second striker – a kind of Carroll/gayle combined (but better)…..but where will that come from?

We also need an upgrade in central midfield, but again where is that coming from?

Bottom line is that we need to move some players on, which upfront we can do, due to contracts ending.

Midfield wise, we’re kinda screwed, because they’re all on long term contracts.

• Online Guy

May 3, 2021 at 1:01 AM

Think Schar touched the ball first in his sliding tackle..I’v seen our players having to put up with high tackles , studs showing and nothing doing.

Nothing changes.

Mike dean needs to retire.

Nothing wrong with celebrating but this is todays Ref

• Online Guy

May 3, 2021 at 1:06 AM

Today we did not look like the Home team , we did not look like a decent away team either !

Theres a mentality running through the team now that looks like we are expected to be second best and the underdog.

Where does that come from at Home ?

I will put it down to fear football and the Lack of a crowd.

They would be booed of the park with the amount of pass backs via midfield , defence, Keeper. A constant theme.

• Online Guy

May 3, 2021 at 1:11 AM

Goodnight Bill, Nicky, NY, and anyone else lurking in the wee sma’ hours.

• Online Guy

May 3, 2021 at 1:17 AM

Mike Dean

He really comes across as an attention seeker and chooses his matches to send players off and usually agains those lower ranked teams.

Maybe he has little man Syndrome ? Lol

Something ain’t right he showers players with red cards each season..like Confetti.

Night.

• Online Guy

May 3, 2021 at 1:19 AM

NY Mag

Can you see this post ?

• Nicky the ball tosser

May 3, 2021 at 1:23 AM

Yeah, I’m not knocking Wilson at all. I’m saying we need two of that calibre to compete for the shirt.

• NY Mag

May 3, 2021 at 1:25 AM

OLG,

I can confirm that your posts are posting 🙂

• Romford mag

May 3, 2021 at 1:26 AM

• NY Mag

May 3, 2021 at 1:29 AM

Nicky,

Totally understand where you are coming and agree with it.

It’s just not that easy – I know we (as fans) think it is, but it isn’t

• Romford mag

May 3, 2021 at 1:38 AM

• Romford mag

May 3, 2021 at 1:42 AM

• NY Mag

May 3, 2021 at 1:46 AM

Rom,

Apologies for my late response, I was clicking on all your links to make sure I understood the situation.

It’s very good, I think you nailed it 🙂

• Romford mag

May 3, 2021 at 1:50 AM

NY

No worries mate

After that non performance ! I think that’s the mood at the moment bud 🙂

• Romford mag

May 3, 2021 at 1:52 AM

Or my mood should I say

• Nicky the ball tosser

May 3, 2021 at 1:55 AM

No, I’ve been quite clear in saying it isn’t easy NY, but nonetheless, you’d like the club you support to try. 🙁

• NY Mag

May 3, 2021 at 1:57 AM

Rom,

Yeah, still a few ups and downs to go.
    I’m more worried about west brom than I am Fulham.

Although, burnley, Brighton, Southampton and crystal palace should be as worried as we are.

• NY Mag

May 3, 2021 at 2:02 AM

Nicky,

I think everyone (and I mean everyone) involved in the club does try.

I don’t doubt that anyone employed by NUFC doesn’t want what’s best for the club.
    But that doesn’t mean that the people employed (starting with the manger) are the best people for the job.

• Romford mag

May 3, 2021 at 2:02 AM

NY

Typical Newcastle mate !

We flatter to deceive !

• Romford mag

May 3, 2021 at 2:05 AM

Hopefully , the few results we had before today’s match will be just enough to keep us up !
    Because if we play like we did today for the remainder of the season , we won’t pick up anymore points imo