web analytics

Bruce Laments Below Par Performance As An Opportunity Is Missed Against The Gunners

A disappointed Steve Bruce has spoken to NUFC TV after today’s 2-0 defeat at home against Arsenal.

It was a self-destructive start as the Magpies were stagnant out of the box. Arsenal immediately pounced on the passive Magpies and found their breakthrough very early in the match.

Bruce wanted to take advantage of Arsenal’s congested schedule with them competing in Europe mid-week. However, the lads failed to show up and were soon down 1-0 in the opening minutes.

This was Bruce’s take on today’s proceedings:

“Sometimes you have to hold your hands up as Arsenal were better than us on the day. We knew to beat Arsenal we had to play well. We had to match where we’ve been and unfortunately we weren’t.

“The goal after four minutes set us back because the one thing we wanted to do was to start aggressively, be on the front foot against them because let’s be fair, they’ve been all over Europe this week.”

Newcastle showed very little in the first half as they struggled to fashion any chances. However, it wasn’t a complete collapse like we’ve seen on occasion this season. Newcastle were basically outplayed and outcoached and had no answers to turn the game around.

The second half was marginally better but Arsenal keeper Mathew Ryan was rarely ever tested. When the Gunners bagged their second goal, the sails went completely limp for the Magpies until very late in the match when they pushed forward with four strikers on the pitch.

Bruce said the following about our lack of a threat in the final third:

“Just after halftime, I thought we had our best spell of the game. But unfortunately, they went up the other end of the pitch and scored.

“We huffed and puffed all afternoon. We didn’t really have that penetration going forward like we have had of late.

“I thought Allan (Saint-Maximin) did all his best work too deeply. He went searching for the ball in deeper areas which is something we can work on and keep him higher up the pitch.”

Finally, Bruce bemoaned the lost opportunity today. A win would have seen Newcastle up to 13th in the table and 12 points clear of Fulham. However, the performance was nowhere near good enough for a result.

Bruce said the following when asked about getting as many points as possible to close the season:

“Of course, we have to. The disappointing thing for me is we could have been 13th today.

“We knew we had to play well. We didn’t. We didn’t play well enough to beat a very good Arsenal team on the day.”

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player In 2-0 Defeat Against Arsenal?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• sing in the corner

May 3, 2021 at 9:10 AM

OP
    Like I said..you were wrong.

So I’ve pointed that out after you basically put out on the internet that I didn’t get involved in protests.
    I feel very passionate about it.
    I did say the Man U fans were wrong etc.

Get your facts straight. No need to misrepresent me.

• The Prince's Mate

May 3, 2021 at 9:11 AM

Some of us accepted we weren’t too bad because of a couple of half decent performances….with Rafa some of it was crap but we knew what direction he was going in…with this guy its kick and hope

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

May 3, 2021 at 9:11 AM

The Prince’s Mate@233

Sadly – NO

• Optimistic prime

May 3, 2021 at 9:12 AM

The fans are the last people who should be blamed for the state of the club.

They have no voice, despite what the PL FA and pundits claim.

I’m glad our fans didn’t resort to violence and destruction to make themselves heard.

Destroying what you love so you’re heard, makes no sense.

• Mund

May 3, 2021 at 9:13 AM

Respect to any fans who protest in a civil way but what did the protests achieve here? Nothing has changed and nothing will under Ashley. He doesn’t budge with protests online or offline. The bloke doesn’t care what we do it has no effect on him or his thinking.

• Optimistic prime

May 3, 2021 at 9:20 AM

Sing

If you wish to claim cheap virtue because you stood in the rain, crack on.

Pointing your finger at the fanbase stinks.

• sing in the corner

May 3, 2021 at 9:21 AM

Howay the Conny army this afternoon!!
    It’s not everyday you see your little hometown club in a Wembley final.
    Fcuk my luck.. can’t get in to see it.

• Just a Fat Dave Bassett

May 3, 2021 at 9:21 AM

OP,
    Trouble is when you get a crowd of protestors, there’s always a few who will be drunk or get carried away, or just be menaces in general and turn up for a ruck, and unfortunately these are the ones who get photographed. Then the media use those 2-3 like the guy who punched the horse to say we are all like that.

• sing in the corner

May 3, 2021 at 9:22 AM

Don’t know who pissed in your cuppa this morning OP but I’ll leave it there i think.
    I made my point.

• Optimistic prime

May 3, 2021 at 9:24 AM

Fat Dave

TMG often spoke about that and encouraged people not to drink or calm those down who had.

Asked everyone attending not to abuse other fans etc.

It’s a minefield.

Scenes at Man U are inevitable, all you can really do is hope for the best, plan for the worst.

• carltoon

May 3, 2021 at 9:25 AM

Well said OP, why why try to divide the fans, why for once can we not be UNITED, Its up to the fan groups to organize the protest, yes i was at the few hundred marching, protested outside the shops a couple of times, it’s the supporters groups that need to mobiles their support. I agree I’m pleased we don’t stone buses, this dividing fans in rediculous,

• Optimistic prime

May 3, 2021 at 9:25 AM

Bromide

• Jail for Ashley

May 3, 2021 at 9:25 AM

We couldn’t even get the whole crowd to stand up to sing “if you hate Ashley” while he sat there smirking. We’re footed when it comes to protest, too many different opinions on what needs to be done.

• Mund

May 3, 2021 at 9:26 AM

Are we giving our own fans grief? Even the ones who went to protests?

What this fanbase needs is to stop attacking each other. It happens on here and across other platforms. I’ve never seen a fanbase so at war.

It’s not what was done before it’s about what’s done going forward. People taking the high ground with other fans because they went to protests and others didn’t is ridiculous

• carltoon

May 3, 2021 at 9:26 AM

Plus, trying to divide fans on this blog, is unfair, as there is only a few who go.

• Optimistic prime

May 3, 2021 at 9:27 AM

Carltoon

I said it last night.

Too many chiefs.

Too many supporters groups with Too many wanting their say.

Who can unite all the fans under one banner and WILL DO IT?

That’s the million dollar question, do that, Ashleys days are numbered.

• WLtoon

May 3, 2021 at 9:31 AM

Morning all, blues sky atm but it`s going to chuck it down later.

Sing

I will be watching the Vase like you, i`m on the other side here though mate, Hebburn are just up the road from me so i`le be rooting for them.
    Hope it`s a good game, i will be reminding you of the score if Hebburn win mind 🙂

• carltoon

May 3, 2021 at 9:33 AM

Of course there is, everyone watches the match, whether, on Sky or other channels, dodgy or otherwise, Well when yous stop doing that, I’ll stop going, because that’s the only way I can watch. And I’m not stopping for anyone. So say your worst, your angry words against good people who just want to watch football. Your getting at the wrong people.

• Jail for Ashley

May 3, 2021 at 9:33 AM

Another typical example was the 69′ minute walk out, another group didn’t agree on what minute it would be, so a couple of thousand walked out on 69′ minutes and another few walked out on 55′ while thousands sat there calling both groups wonkers and not proper fans, the same lot that disappear for a pint five minutes before half time and ten minutes before the end to get the bus or miss the traffic 😕

• Mund

May 3, 2021 at 9:34 AM

carltoon, live your best life and nobody can say a thing against it. Follow the heart and you will never go wrong 🙂

• Jail for Ashley

May 3, 2021 at 9:35 AM

I’ve not caught up today, what’s the issue?

• DrGloom

May 3, 2021 at 9:35 AM

I’m guessing the EPL will do nothing to the ‘big six’ and even less to Manure after yesterdays debacle – Masters and co are puppets with the Glazers etc pulling the strings

• Jail for Ashley

May 3, 2021 at 9:36 AM

Mund,
    Does threatening to knock the foot out of people entail living your best life, stop bloody preaching you knacker.

• carltoon

May 3, 2021 at 9:37 AM

Jail just the usual, Me on my high horse, going to fight anybody who wants a fight.

• Optimistic prime

May 3, 2021 at 9:37 AM

The PL and FA are what disappoints me most in Ashleys tenure.

How long have we been known as deluded or moaners because we complain about Ashley?

It’s pretty much what the fan base is known for.

We hear all this chatter about the “correct channels” “fans forumns” etc, none of which happen under Ashleys Nufc.

Why hasn’t the PL or FA stepped in?

Fans voices count for very little these days but Nufc fans don’t even have a voice.

It’s that desperate the trust are trying to buy a share as NO ONE wants to listen.

Goverments fan led review is the only game in town for me!

I’m not against protests etc, fan led review is the most important thing that can happen and is a MUST to save the game!

• Mund

May 3, 2021 at 9:37 AM

Gloom

For me I’ll be happy if the buck stops at some of the powers to be at the PL. Hopefully the likes of Masters and Hoffmann will get what’s coming to them. I couldn’t care less about fines as it’s a one off payment and done. We need to root out the incompetent fools making these decisions

• sing in the corner

May 3, 2021 at 9:38 AM

WL toon
    Fair play to you.
    It’s fantastic to see two Northeast clubs there. I’d say Hebburn are slight favourites but hey, the magic of the cup!?
    Been to see Consett many times, and a few of this cup run.
    A welcome distraction from what’s going on at Gallowgate!

• carltoon

May 3, 2021 at 9:38 AM

Oooh! I was only joking, crikey,

• DrGloom

May 3, 2021 at 9:38 AM

Hardly think Man U or any other fans are united, there were a few hundred protesters and maybe a couple hundred more at Chelsea protests, hardly a great turnout, media made more of it and they could have been cleared a lot quicker if the police could have been bothered

• Mund

May 3, 2021 at 9:39 AM

Jail

You are the lowest of the low lad.

Carry on fella you will not have any effect on me and I’ll say what I like about our club and the situation.

Try fishing somewhere else 😉

• WLtoon

May 3, 2021 at 9:39 AM

DrGloom,

That is the reason football will eventually go to the wall, if it isn`t already.
    Corruption screws up everything including sport and once true and honest competition is removed from the game then i will be removing myself from it also.

• carltoon

May 3, 2021 at 9:40 AM

Anyway I’m away to calm down.

• Ron Knee

May 3, 2021 at 9:40 AM

“You talkin’ to me? You talkin’ to me? You talkin’ to me?”

• DrGloom

May 3, 2021 at 9:41 AM

Mund – trouble is they’ll make Masters and Hoffman sacrificial lambs and then replace them with the next stooges – almost like a line of duty plot 😀

• DrGloom

May 3, 2021 at 9:42 AM

WLToon – totally agree, game will implode eventually and it will be back to basics

• Mund

May 3, 2021 at 9:43 AM

Gloom

Hopefully that’s not the case mate and we get some proper football people on charge but wouldn’t be surprised if it went that way.

Don’t talk about Line of Duty 😡

• ilovetoon8788

May 3, 2021 at 9:44 AM

Nufc fans protest are meek, divided and useless. Lack of balls.

That’s why Ashley is here to stay and even tells us, “I can own nufc forever”.

Respect to manu fans.

• WLtoon

May 3, 2021 at 9:51 AM

Sing,

My thoughts exactly, it`s great to see 2 local teams in the final, there really are no losers for the region in this one though it will be heartbreak for the losing fans , if you get what i mean.
    I`ve recently been going to Hebburn Town Fc for outside drinks at their clubhouse and have got to say how impressed i am with their set up, and the dedication all their staff have of making the club a success.
    Consett too are a well ran club and their set up is very good, its where i will be focusing my attention in the future, non lge, grass roots is what it is all about, not greed and corruption.
    I`m afraid Nufc will have to go on the back burner if the leech remains

• Optimistic prime

May 3, 2021 at 9:54 AM

I’ve watched quite a few Messi top goals or games videos on YouTube over last few days.

Remarkable how many of those videos contain Ronaldo crying or throwing a fit.

• onmeedsun

May 3, 2021 at 9:56 AM

I don’t condone breaking the law and causing injury to others etc, but perhaps we should have been a bit more militant in our protests. Thousands have just walked instead but nothing is said. Manure have a small protest and it’s all over the news. I think the fight was beaten out of the north east by Thatcher. I’ve been to all the protests, walk outs etc, but they were feeble.