web analytics

Bruce Laments Below Par Performance As An Opportunity Is Missed Against The Gunners

A disappointed Steve Bruce has spoken to NUFC TV after today’s 2-0 defeat at home against Arsenal.

It was a self-destructive start as the Magpies were stagnant out of the box. Arsenal immediately pounced on the passive Magpies and found their breakthrough very early in the match.

Bruce wanted to take advantage of Arsenal’s congested schedule with them competing in Europe mid-week. However, the lads failed to show up and were soon down 1-0 in the opening minutes.

This was Bruce’s take on today’s proceedings:

“Sometimes you have to hold your hands up as Arsenal were better than us on the day. We knew to beat Arsenal we had to play well. We had to match where we’ve been and unfortunately we weren’t.

“The goal after four minutes set us back because the one thing we wanted to do was to start aggressively, be on the front foot against them because let’s be fair, they’ve been all over Europe this week.”

Newcastle showed very little in the first half as they struggled to fashion any chances. However, it wasn’t a complete collapse like we’ve seen on occasion this season. Newcastle were basically outplayed and outcoached and had no answers to turn the game around.

The second half was marginally better but Arsenal keeper Mathew Ryan was rarely ever tested. When the Gunners bagged their second goal, the sails went completely limp for the Magpies until very late in the match when they pushed forward with four strikers on the pitch.

Bruce said the following about our lack of a threat in the final third:

“Just after halftime, I thought we had our best spell of the game. But unfortunately, they went up the other end of the pitch and scored.

“We huffed and puffed all afternoon. We didn’t really have that penetration going forward like we have had of late.

“I thought Allan (Saint-Maximin) did all his best work too deeply. He went searching for the ball in deeper areas which is something we can work on and keep him higher up the pitch.”

Finally, Bruce bemoaned the lost opportunity today. A win would have seen Newcastle up to 13th in the table and 12 points clear of Fulham. However, the performance was nowhere near good enough for a result.

Bruce said the following when asked about getting as many points as possible to close the season:

“Of course, we have to. The disappointing thing for me is we could have been 13th today.

“We knew we had to play well. We didn’t. We didn’t play well enough to beat a very good Arsenal team on the day.”

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player In 2-0 Defeat Against Arsenal?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• DrGloom

May 3, 2021 at 9:57 AM

Mund – I take it you didn’t think much of the finale

• Mund

May 3, 2021 at 9:59 AM

Gloom

I know it was a finale but was that a finale!

Very poor and I knew from the start when it was only an hr long as other finales have been feature length.

It’s obvious there will be another as it won’t end like that. Top series with top writers but they failed miserably with that finale

• sing in the corner

May 3, 2021 at 10:03 AM

WL Toon
    I hear ya.
    I’m going posh though. I moved to GATESHEAD in Feb, so gonna head there for a few when football opens up a bit.
    It’ll be howay the ‘Heed with the odd trip up to Conny for the craic with my mates there.
    Fickle eh 🙂
    One things for sure..
    Not going into the Gallowgate again til Ashley vacates the building.
    Even if that was never.
    And I had season tickets, travelled to games etc every season since the late 70’s
    ..even in the rain haha (gimme that cheap virtue) 🙂

• Mund

May 3, 2021 at 10:04 AM

Sing

You have my respect mate

• sing in the corner

May 3, 2021 at 10:08 AM

Cheers Mund
    But it was no bother, did it all for lurve and would do it again, despite the heartache

• Mund

May 3, 2021 at 10:09 AM

Sing

Let’s hope we have more to cheer about in the near future mate.

• WLtoon

May 3, 2021 at 10:12 AM

Sing,

I`ve done all that mate, had a ST for 18 yrs but won`t entertain the parasite, haven`t done so for 12 years, there will be many more do the same over time.
    Nothing wrong with The heed lol I think clubs like the 3 we re talking about could benefit immensely from footie fans like us who still want a match day fix without feeling they are getting the piss taken out of them, and at clubs like Hebburn and Consett you are certainly made welcome.

• sing in the corner

May 3, 2021 at 10:18 AM

WL
    The thing that surprised me most was the quality of the football mate.
    I had this assumption that it would be more route one..
    Consett get it down and play. The plastic pitch they put down got s like warm reception when it was planned but it’s helped immensely.
    Much needed up Consett though. Frozen clarts in the winter or lakes in the ‘summer’ weren’t conducive to sexy football haha

• Optimistic prime

May 3, 2021 at 10:21 AM

Many fans feel disconnected from the club.

Whether that be due to priced out of the game, Ashley or just the way the game is heading.

Many factors in why our fanbase hasn’t reacted as many expect, not just one, Nufc fans are like a beaten dog, always waiting for the next kick.

I’d have loved to see the fans really get on Ashleys case but it wasn’t to be.

I just hope we can unite now, it’s a difficult time, no one has any idea where the clubs future lies, last thing we need now is fighting amongst fan groups etc.

I honestly feel there’s a storm coming, I hope we ride it into the sunset and aren’t swept onto the rocks.

Next few months have me anxious about the club as I’ve ever been.

• WLtoon

May 3, 2021 at 10:21 AM

Turn your back on the regime
    Support your local team
    Watching butchers n bakers n candlestick makers,
    Far more rewarding than feeding greedy money takers

• WLtoon

May 3, 2021 at 10:26 AM

sing,

Consett neded that arto pitch didn`t they , like you say they always get the brunt of the weather over there, if it snows in only one place in England it`s always Consett lol
    I`m really looking forward to the game today, is it covered by BT?

• sing in the corner

May 3, 2021 at 10:32 AM

Yes BT mate
    Don’t even pay them, piggy backing on father in law’s.

• sing in the corner

May 3, 2021 at 10:35 AM

Time to get the chainsaw out. Logs to be chopped before the rain gets here

1 6 7 8