web analytics

Bruce Admits ‘Big Decisions’ Needed On Current Squad As Survival Remains Paramount

Newcastle suffered a setback yesterday against Arsenal as they failed to capitalize on a golden chance of smothering Fulham’s survival hopes. A win and Newcastle would have been twelve points clear with just four matches remaining. Fulham would have had to run the table for any chance of survival.

However, that chance has gone wasted, and barring an unlikely win at Leicester on Friday, Newcastle will have to keep one eye on Fulham’s next few fixtures. So the apprehensive wait for survival, while still very likely, nonetheless lingers on.

The poor showing yesterday aside, Newcastle still must press with at least preliminary planning for this summer. Some targets seem to have been identified and there are plenty of decisions to be rendered with the current squad.

Newcastle have a few players out of contract this summer and others entering the final year of their deals. So there’s quite a bit to do over the next few months even with the expectation that the transfer budget will be paltry at best.

Steve Bruce spoke a little about the contract situation with some of his players after yesterday’s defeat against the Gunners. It seems that much of the focus is on clinching survival before certain decisions are made.

This is what Bruce said about Fabian Schar’s future along with the current thinking on contract extensions as published in The Northern Echo:

“With Fab Schar, I think there’s a clause in his contract where we can extend it. I believe that’s the case.

“With all of those decisions, there’s obviously discussions to be had when the season is done and dusted. We’re not done and dusted yet, but of course, there are big, difficult decisions to make.

“In every football club, that’s part and parcel of it. Yes, we’ve got some big decisions to make.”

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player In 2-0 Defeat Against Arsenal?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• onmeedsun

May 3, 2021 at 11:12 PM

If we get the takeover then I think Bruce is gone and we get Rafa back, with ambitious plans to move the club forward. I think we’ll know by the end of the season. No one will buy the club at the end of the transfer window as the risk of relegation is too great.
    If no takeover then we carry on with Ashley and Bruce. If the team start well next season and the squad looks improved then I think most fans will accept it. But if we start and play like we did for most of this season the fans will force Bruce out, and for that you need to be in the ground. If you’re not there you have zero influence.

• WLtoon

May 3, 2021 at 11:13 PM

carltoon,

WB are 10 points behind us with only 4 games left, so they would have to win every game to overtake us , if they lose one more game they are done.
    They have to play Arsenal, Liverpool, West ham and Leeds.
    How many points do you think they will pick up from that lot?

• Online Guy

May 3, 2021 at 11:13 PM

WLToon

Good luck with the back problems I have been there..

Swimming helps once you know its safe to do so..Degenerative disks..Mate just told me short time back that he’s been diagnosed with just that but its in his neck.

Ooh me fkg Back !

• carltoon

May 3, 2021 at 11:15 PM

I used to drink when I as young, bit it made me extremely Ill, so i was teetotal for a out twenty years, so used to be nominated driver, or went to pick up drunk husband, then i started drinking wine about ten years ago, i can’t drink a lot because I’m a bit OTT when I’m drunk, 🙂

• carltoon

May 3, 2021 at 11:17 PM

WLT, well I think they’re gone, but you know big Sam, mets hope it’s last ever time of managing a club,

• cleveleysbob

May 3, 2021 at 11:19 PM

I haven’t been drunk for years, but I’ve been “influenced” a few times.

I’d had a few Gins on Sunday, so although I read (lurked) on here, I didn’t post anything. Probably just as well 😉

• onmeedsun

May 3, 2021 at 11:21 PM

Carltoon
    Do you go all ‘Delia, let’s be havin ya’ when you’ve had a few?

• cleveleysbob

May 3, 2021 at 11:21 PM

Seriously, I think WBA and Fulham have “gone”, but the mathematics aren’t there yet, and this is Newcastle – the anything can happen City! – need them both to lose one more and normal breathing can resume 😆

• big bob

May 3, 2021 at 11:23 PM

I feel sorry for the man u and arsenal supporters protesting against owners NOT

Both spend millions every year it must be awful signing great players every year yet they still are not happy
    We don’t spend money finish bottom half every year and we are told we should except it so how are we different to these teams
    Is it because the so called big 6 think they are above everyone else
    If we were to do what man utd fans done we would be kicked out the league and be slagged off by every pundit in the land
    Man utd do it and they are heroes just don’t get it
    Are the glazers fit owners to run football club are they any better then Saudis
    Regarding super League man city have getting away with it because they are not there for the money but to promote qatar but the Saudis buying nufc is sport washing total double standards

• cleveleysbob

May 3, 2021 at 11:23 PM

Anyhoo, it’s time for bed.

Goodnight everyone and be kind to each other. 🙂

• WLtoon

May 3, 2021 at 11:23 PM

Online Guy,

Cheers fella, you say your mate has degenerative discs, that`s what ive got, or have you had that problem too.?
    Ile try anything including swimming, the baths will be open soon, so ile be signing up for a membership.

• onmeedsun

May 3, 2021 at 11:25 PM

I just don’t trust us not to mess this up.
    We can’t afford Fulham to even get one win in their next 2 whilst we’re getting mullered by Leicester and City. They will then believe it’s possible. 6 points behind with 2 games to go, one against us.

• WLtoon

May 3, 2021 at 11:25 PM

carltoon,

I agree ,keep him away from football. he can`t say he has never been relegated either now, because guess what, oh how sad, never mind 🙂

• carltoon

May 3, 2021 at 11:26 PM

Onmeedson, no! But i think everything is funny, and become very loud.

• onmeedsun

May 3, 2021 at 11:28 PM

Carltoon
    I’ll be watching out for you next season although I’m not in the Platinum club. My seat is lower down opposite Leazes end penalty box.

• carltoon

May 3, 2021 at 11:29 PM

Can we get another win, what’s happened to the defense lately. A few clean sheets wouldn’t go amiss.

• carltoon

May 3, 2021 at 11:31 PM

Ah ok, I can always say hello before we go in.

• Online Guy

May 3, 2021 at 11:33 PM

WLtoon

Another mate ..a keyboard player had some back probs went to the chiropractor,
    neuro-musculo skeletal gadgie and he half killed him over time ..Wrecked it, made it worse.

Watch out for those guys with healing hands if you ever deign to go down that route..Check out Reviews and their qualifications aren’t from the University of Ulan Bator Outer Mongolia.

• Online Guy

May 3, 2021 at 11:35 PM

Things to do , Later chaps and Carltoon.

Carltoon , Hope you are well and thriving ..you sound in good form.

• WLtoon

May 3, 2021 at 11:40 PM

Online Guy.

Cheers for the heads up, i won`t be heading over to Outer Mongolia any time soon

• Online Guy

May 3, 2021 at 11:40 PM

WLtoon

Dont ever get trapped nerves ! its like being shot in the back ..You cannot move ..Nee way ..you are totally stuck to where ever you are standing at the time it hits you..Years of having a Guitar slung round yer neck for sometimes 3 hours dont help , that and bikes.

• Online Guy

May 3, 2021 at 11:40 PM

Later.

• Nicky the ball tosser

May 4, 2021 at 12:48 AM

Yeah, you’d have to think that the sweet spot for a takeover happening is the period of time between achieving guaranteed safety and in time to influence transfer business in the off season.

It’s actually quite a small window of opportunity given the relative strength of our playing and coaching staff, and it’s almost upon us and apparently arbitration hasn’t even started, so…….

• Nicky the ball tosser

May 4, 2021 at 1:02 AM

……..so the obvious thing to do is strengthen if a sale can’t be achieved at this time, but this of course is Mike Ashley’s Newcastle, where only money that the club has in the bank is spent, and solid business so often plays second fiddle to a punt in the market.

• lesh

May 4, 2021 at 2:12 AM

Cleveleys

My fair lady wife, wor lass, says I shouldn’t drink whisky cos it makes me argumentative. I tell her it doesn’t and…..

• lesh

May 4, 2021 at 2:12 AM

G’day/ g’night all.

May 4, 2021 at 7:08 AM

Lesh broke the blog

May 4, 2021 at 7:31 AM

Howay folks, it’s miserable out there.

Why not put your thoughts into print and press submit.

You know you want to, go on.

May 4, 2021 at 7:32 AM

Ah, need a cup of tea first.

OK I can wait 10 mins

May 4, 2021 at 7:38 AM

Is it just me, are electric kettles louder these days?

May 4, 2021 at 7:41 AM

I warm the pot first, don’t know if it makes a difference but that’s what you’re supposed to do.

May 4, 2021 at 7:43 AM

Milk first. don’t need a spoon then, I a no sugar kind of guy.

May 4, 2021 at 7:45 AM

I think the posh did tea first, proves you could afford best quality china. It could take the sudden temperature change without cracking.

• lochinvar

May 4, 2021 at 7:48 AM

Wor B
    Warming the pot first
    Sign of true class

Do you leave the tea to brew, mash, fuse or stew? Other termInlogy might apply.

May 4, 2021 at 7:48 AM

Thinking of changing the car soon, been looking at smaller SUVs

You can buy a car on line these days, I want a test drive. Old school.

May 4, 2021 at 7:52 AM

Lock

Thank goodness, I’d have ended up giving my life story there!

5 minutes to mash/brew by the way. Stewed tea is too far gone.

May 4, 2021 at 8:05 AM

I know some can’t be ar$ed with the CL but I’m looking forward to Man City v PSG tonight. Expecting City win then facing Chelsea in final, RM seem to be a shadow since Ronaldo left.

• Mund

May 4, 2021 at 8:06 AM

Wor

Did I morning eyes read that right? You put your milk in first??

T-Bag then water, leave it brew remove t-bag with a bit of a squeeze then add milk all made with love and ofc a Yorkshire Tea-bag

May 4, 2021 at 8:09 AM

If you buy a car on line but you’re out when the delivery guy calls, does he leave it with a neighbour and push a card through the letter box?

May 4, 2021 at 8:13 AM

Mund Mund Mund

Give ya heed a wobble mate!

Good choice of tea but your method is heathen!!!