web analytics

Newcastle Have Work To Do But Top Defensive Targets Seem To Have Been Identified

Newcastle still have some work to do to seal our place in the Premier League for next season. An opportunity was wasted on Sunday against Arsenal to put more daylight between Fulham with just four matches remaining.

Now we must keep an eye on how the Cottagers fare against Burnley on Monday. The Clarets lost 2-1 to West Ham at Turf Moor last night and also hold a 9 point-edge over Fulham.

Still, Newcastle remain in a comfortable position with the onus on Fulham to produce a miracle. Stranger things have happened and this is Newcastle we are talking about.

But a few results on our end can put the matter to rest. Hopefully, we’ll do that, or Fulham fail in their quest, before the season finale at Craven Cottage in just under three weeks.

Planning for next season must go forth even with safety only tickling our fingertips, so close but still not grasped. There’s plenty of decisions to prepare for over the coming weeks.

One of the areas that is likely to be addressed is center-back. Newcastle have a glut at the position with many players nearing the end of their contracts. The bulk of the group is also at or approaching the age of 30.

Contract decisions need to be made with younger defenders likely topping our summer wishlist. A couple of center-backs have already been linked with Celtic’s Kristoffer Ajer capturing much of the headlines.

Newcastle reportedly had scouts watching the 23-year-old on Sunday. It wasn’t the Norwegian’s best display in the 4-1 loss to Rangers but he’s been one of their best players since joining five years ago.

Another center-back on the radar is Danilho Doekhi of Vitesse. The 22-year-old was touted as a potential summer target a few weeks ago.

Sport Witness has recently cited a report in the Dutch press of Newcastle’s interest in the Dutch U21 international. Both Rangers and Italy’s Atalanta are also said to be tracking Doekhi.

So Newcastle seem to have a couple of promising targets identified to strengthen and refresh the backline. That interest may ramp up once safety is guaranteed, which we hope will be in within the next couple of weeks.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player In 2-0 Defeat Against Arsenal?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

How Will Newcastle Do At Leicester City On Friday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• griff

May 4, 2021 at 1:39 PM

It has been awhile, but physics made me log in. I mustn’t say it isn’t top speed that is the issue here. It is acceleration.

What have I done!

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

May 4, 2021 at 1:42 PM

Valerien Ismael is another manager who looks promising should always be looking at a manager who is overachieving rather than someone who has never achieved….

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

May 4, 2021 at 1:42 PM

March who is now the Leipzig manager is another one he could just be as good as Nagelsmann

They seem to be able to pick the best managers before they become big

• WLtoon

May 4, 2021 at 1:52 PM

Didn`t realise Nagelsman is going to Bayern, jeez , the rest of the Bundesliga might as well give it up as a bad job.
    When the TO kicked off last year he was my choice for the Toon job, Leipzig are great to watch, just the opposite of the negative boring shite we have been used to.

• Essex Geordie Bill

May 4, 2021 at 1:53 PM

Daft as it sounds I reckon Gary Ainsworth comes into the overachieving category.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

May 4, 2021 at 2:11 PM

@WLToon

They are paying something like 16 million to get him out of his contract!!

Bayern also signed Upayacemo from Leipzig as well

Talk about damaging the competition!!

• Carson80

May 4, 2021 at 2:16 PM

Still think Massimo Allegri will be our new manager when takeover goes through, been a hell of alot of high profile jobs this year and he hasn’t even been in the running, wonder if the PIF have him on a retainer.

• Reilly

May 4, 2021 at 2:18 PM

AS Roma English
    @ASRomaEN
    · 7m

The club are delighted to announce an agreement has been reached with Jose Mourinho for him to become our new head coach ahead of the 2021-22 season.

• WLtoon

May 4, 2021 at 2:18 PM

Lee,

Jeez that is frightening, it really is getting beyond a joke.
    Thing is though when you have that much money do the fans really give a damn, considering that Bayern is part owned by it`s fans.
    I honestly think Bayern will be untouchable while Nagelsman is there with all their financial clout they have, Citeh, who are they.

• Just a fan

May 4, 2021 at 2:19 PM

I also wondered if dubs should have saved that first goal but thought best not to mention it.
    Also schar what is wrong with him.
    Debatable red card but definitely reckless.

• Mund

May 4, 2021 at 2:19 PM

Carson

Good shout with Allegri mate. I didn’t think of this myself but there has been plenty of high profile jobs come up the last year and I’ve never saw his name mentioned once and that’s a little strange IMO

• Mund

May 4, 2021 at 2:20 PM

Mourinho has joined Roma

• Mund

May 4, 2021 at 2:21 PM

Ah should of looked up 😆 fair play Reilly lad

• WLtoon

May 4, 2021 at 2:21 PM

Doesn`t take these FAILED managers long to get another money spinning job does it, Jose going to Roma, wonder how many Mils he is getting to bore the pants off the that lot.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

May 4, 2021 at 2:21 PM

@Carson80

Allegri would be amazing hes someone who will only go to someone to win would be a total mentality change if we were to get him

Awesome!!

• Just a fan

May 4, 2021 at 2:22 PM

Allegri on a a retainer.
    You mean just like poch was.

• Mund

May 4, 2021 at 2:23 PM

Loch was linked and offered every top job that was around and that was jokes and theories from the fans.

Allegri was the consortiums first choice to take over as manager.

• Mund

May 4, 2021 at 2:23 PM

Poch* sorry loch 😎

• Adamn_92

May 4, 2021 at 2:25 PM

Carson,

Immobile said PIF were after him initially and held talks with him. In the same interview he said that PIF had a top Italian manager lined up, basically either Allegri or Spalletti. I don’t see why Immobile were randomly make that up as it wouldn’t benefit him at all. So definitely think Allegri is a shout and on the radar.

“During the period in which there was talk of the possible [Newcastle United] purchase by the Sheikh’s [Saudi PIF] fund, they called my agent.

“Then the Premier League didn’t approve that proposal, or the [Saudi PIF] fund withdrew, I don’t remember…

“I know they were also looking for an Italian coach, [Massimiliano] Allegri or [Luciano] Spalletti.”

• Carson80

May 4, 2021 at 2:26 PM

Mund I find it very strange and there again with the link you and Reilly posted getting Jose and he’s not even considered.

• WLtoon

May 4, 2021 at 2:27 PM

Hang on, i thought it was Poch who was penciled in for the Toon job once the TO was completed, oh wait.
    Nah it`s RB isn`t it? No.
    Ah, it`s Allegri, oh wait.
    Maybe we should see how we are with this TO first, we might end up with Bruce and co the way it looks from where i am.
    Nice to dream though i guess

• Mund

May 4, 2021 at 2:28 PM

Carson

Exactly mate and good eyes lad. He would of surely been offered a few of these jobs that’s been floating about or at least been contacted but not one word of him being linked with any of them.

Very weird.

• Carson80

May 4, 2021 at 2:29 PM

Adamn cheers for posting that, do you also not find it strange he hasn’t gone to a top club. If he is on a retainer then it shows the sort of financial clout we can look forward to, fingers crossed.

• Mund

May 4, 2021 at 2:29 PM

WL

You are mixing up peoples hopes for who it was and paper talk.

Not a good mixture mate.

Defo see what happens as nobody knows but you can look for little things out there and Allegri not being contacted for any job in the last year is weird to me but each to there own.

• Mund

May 4, 2021 at 2:31 PM

I wonder why the thoughts on a Italian manager?

• Carson80

May 4, 2021 at 2:32 PM

LCBP I would be over the moon as he is a manager who does change his team and formation whichever team we are playing and in this length of time I hope has been learning the English language.

• Adamn_92

May 4, 2021 at 2:41 PM

Carson, I do find it strange he still isn’t in a job. That could be a whole host of reasons though, could be having an extended break, keeping close with family due to the pandemic. For all we know he has been approached by other teams and he’s said no for the reasons above or personal reasons. There’s a whole bunch of possible reasons. I think PIF were definitely interested in him and if the takeover happens, will still be interested. But we still don’t know if the takeover will happen yet, so guess we have to wait for that first and then we can start wondering about a manager more.

• Adamn_92

May 4, 2021 at 2:44 PM

Not to stereotype but Italians tend to be very family driven, so if he was in Italy when Covid hit hard out there, I wouldn’t mind betting he’s taking a lot of time out to stay close with his family whilst the pandemic is still ongoing. Just a thought of course, but I would understand if a lot of managers out of work were waiting for things to blow over before taking on a new job to be fair.

• Adamn_92

May 4, 2021 at 2:50 PM

Choose whether to believe that or not, but could explain why he’s been out of work for a while, prioritising his mothers health.

Also a quick search of his name has him linked with Real, Spurs, Tottenham and a return to Juventus over the last few days. So who knows he may be on the move soon somewhere.

• bettyswallocks

May 4, 2021 at 2:55 PM

A new shampoo has been introduced exclusively in the Sunderland area.
    It’s called Go and Wash.

• Carson80

May 4, 2021 at 2:56 PM

If it is then it shows he must be a top bloke, sort of manager I would love to have at our club fair play to him, also mentions on there that Napoli would like Rafa back.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

May 4, 2021 at 3:05 PM

@Carson

Surely not? I thought Rafa “ruined” Napoli? Apart from winning them there only trophy in donkeys years and leaving them with some of the best players they have ever had……

• Adamn_92

May 4, 2021 at 3:06 PM

Feel like PIF may lean towards Staveley and co to put forward a manager, in which case I would imagine Rafa would be top. Staveley is a fan and they know he’s well loved here so would get fans instantly on side. Personally I would prefer a more attack minded manager or a more modern upcoming young manager. Rafa as Sporting Director or similar role one day would be perfect I feel. I would have no complaints if he did come back, but i’m hoping it may be someone else.

• bettyswallocks

May 4, 2021 at 3:09 PM

Wor lass has just asked me if she could make a contribution to the blog. I told her that I was sure folk wouldn’t mind. So here we have it lads and lasses:-

The other night I was invited out for a night with the ‘girls.’ I told my husband that I would be home by midnight, ‘I promise!’ Well, the hours passed and the Blue Wkds went down way too easily.
    Around 3 a.m., a bit pissed, I headed for home. Just as I got in the door, the cuckoo clock in the hallway started up and cuckooed 3 times. Quickly, realizing my husband would probably wake up, I cuckooed another 9 times.

I was really proud of myself for coming up with such a quick-witted solution, in order to escape a possible conflict with him. (Even when totally smashed… 3 cuckoos plus 9 cuckoos totals 12 cuckoos MIDNIGHT!)

The next morning my husband asked me what time I got in, I told him ‘MIDNIGHT’… he didn’t seem pissed off in the least.

Whew, I got away with that one! Then he said ‘We need a new cuckoo clock.’

When I asked him why, he said, ‘Well, last night our clock cuckooed three times, then said ‘oh shit.’ Cuckooed 4 more times, cleared its throat, cuckooed another three times, giggled, cuckooed twice more, and then tripped over the coffee table and farted.

• coming home

May 4, 2021 at 3:12 PM

I want Rafa back at all costs
    Give him 3 years to build a top 8 squad not bothered about sexy football until we build the foundation’s

Won’t take a sheikh to do it either just a good business head and not a thief would help

• Wor B

May 4, 2021 at 3:13 PM

Jail

Just back after a work break, damned inconvenient.

Cheers for the Rev Jim update, good to know he hasn’t fallen (or thrown) under a bus!

• lesh

May 4, 2021 at 3:13 PM

Bettys

@114

🙂

Feeling a bit better?

• Reilly

May 4, 2021 at 3:14 PM

ariq panja
    @tariqpanja
    · 23m
    Here it is: Manchester City taking Premier League to court over its investigation into allegations City breached league’s financial control rules: https://nytimes.com/2021/05/04/sports/soccer/manchester-city-premier-league.html

• Online Guy

May 4, 2021 at 3:15 PM

WLtoon

Forget to tell you and its important..divvint gan swimmimng till the doc says its ok .

Dangerous..spinal column etc ..nervous system could be compromised etc..yi knaa the score ?

Wimmin thats allreet but Swimmin take advice.

• Online Guy

May 4, 2021 at 3:17 PM

Afternoon Lesh

You sound canny fettle

I’m just away out as theres a rare bird kicking about and I need to tick it off me list.

its a hard life.