web analytics

Newcastle May Now Be Losing The Race For Two Early Targets

Just before our season finale at Fulham, there were reports that Newcastle had identified two targets to get done and dusted early in the window. There were Celtic’s Kristoffer Ajer and Wigan youngster Kyle Joseph.

Newcastle had been linked with the duo for weeks and appeared to be in pole position for their signings. Ajer, a 23-year-old center-back entering the final year of his contract, could be had for half his value with Newcastle being long admirers. Joseph is a promising young striker who would only cost a compensation fee.

Earlier this week, the news remained quite positive on the duo. In fact, a report claimed Ajer would become our first signing once the window opened with Newcastle having agreed on a £6m deal. Local reports had Newcastle still in the driver’s seat for Joseph.

However, what a difference a couple of days makes. Ajer’s representatives have been shopping their client to other clubs around Europe and met with Bayer Leverkusen over the weekend.

The Northern Echo is reporting that Leverkusen are growing increasingly confident they’ll win the race for the 6’6″ defender. They have recent experience with Celtic as they signed right-back Jeremie Frimpong in January.

Wales Online is reporting that Swansea are now in advanced talks with Wigan over Kyle Joseph, who is out of contract at the end of the month. The young striker has been offered a new deal but looks to be on his way this summer.

Newcastle have been linked with the Scotland U21 international for months. We were reportedly willing to pay a little extra in compensation to ensure the lad comes to St. James’ Park. However, it could be Swansea who end up landing the 19-year-old.

Swansea see the youngster as one who can develop into a first-team player. Newcastle have similar aspirations for the teenager, who will turn 20 in September. With the Academy being gutted earlier this week, the Magpies really need to be adding youth prospects. That is especially the case at the top end of the pitch.

If these latest claims are accurate, then Newcastle may have lost out on two of our top targets. What compounds the frustration is that they were identified as quick deals to be completed early in the window.

Who Was Newcastle Player Of The 2020-21 Season?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

Jun 3, 2021 at 2:08 PM

Asi, are you joining the Euro’s league.

• Ron Knee

Jun 3, 2021 at 2:11 PM

Enjoy them, Jail!

Jun 3, 2021 at 2:15 PM

Ron,
    I’m listening to it, can’t stay awake for more than two minutes 😆

• Adamn_92

Jun 3, 2021 at 2:18 PM

Nobody has a clue when the takeover will happen, if at all. Any dates around it are pure guess work. Only dates we have that should be in stone are the legal ones, although I wouldn’t be surprised if they got delayed on way or the other. Nobody will know how long they go on for either. Any takeover date ‘news’ should be ignored in my opinion unless it comes out directly from either camp; not a ‘source close to’.

• Romford mag

Jun 3, 2021 at 2:28 PM

Scythe

All done , I’m in 🙂

Jun 3, 2021 at 2:29 PM

From Nufc 360:
    “A Newcastle source has said that all parties are still committed to the deal (takeover) and there is growing hope it will be concluded by the end of July [Football Insider] #NUFC”

Random twitter user replies:
    “June 2020 want their tweet back”

• Adamn_92

Jun 3, 2021 at 2:42 PM

You could literally copy and paste that every month and just push the ‘by the end of’ month back by 1.

• WWSBRD

Jun 3, 2021 at 2:53 PM

JfA
    It’s nonsense at this stage. Funny thing is had these wannabe owners done arbitration when it was first offered this would all of been sorted by now. I wonder why they didn’t

• martoon

Jun 3, 2021 at 2:54 PM

The only thing we can be sure of is when the legal proceedings begin but we don’t know how long they’ll last. So I can understand nufc will say they are confident of winning but I don’t see how they can predict a date especially when it will still have to be approved by the PL and they’ll all be on holiday by then 😉

• Mund

Jun 3, 2021 at 2:58 PM

Yawn

• Adamn_92

Jun 3, 2021 at 2:58 PM

Didn’t Caulkin say a month or so ago that arbitration hadn’t started yet and get slated for it? With fans saying he’s out the loop and arbitration had clearly already started etc? Then it came out that arbitration isn’t happening until July? Caulkin is still the one to listen to in my opinion. Doesn’t tend to give out dates or anything and tends to shut up unless he has anything which he’s always honest and open about.

Jun 3, 2021 at 3:01 PM

WW….,
    I’d much rather hear nothing about it at all unless it’s an official statement from either PiF or the club. Sources, insiders journos and You tubers are peddling their stories. The one journo who did have direct access to Staveley, George Caulkin is rightly saying nothing.

Jun 3, 2021 at 3:03 PM

Adamn_92,
    Except when he mentioned arbitration last month.

• Mund

Jun 3, 2021 at 3:03 PM

In arbitration

It’s Newcastle United vs the PL

It’s not

The Amanda Staveley led consortium vs the PL

Jun 3, 2021 at 3:10 PM

We know Mund.

• Mund

Jun 3, 2021 at 3:12 PM

Who is we Jail?

Seems to me that some baffle on without a clue what they are talking about

Jun 3, 2021 at 3:13 PM

Sorry, I presume everyone knows that, i also presume most people are just hoping that Stavely and her consortium are still around when it all gets sorted.

Jun 3, 2021 at 3:13 PM

I posted that before #56 btw.

• Mund

Jun 3, 2021 at 3:14 PM

Staveley is still around

There is no need to hope

Jun 3, 2021 at 3:17 PM

Cheers Mund but I’ll hope anyway.

• Mund

Jun 3, 2021 at 3:17 PM

You said most people 😉

• Munster Mag

Jun 3, 2021 at 3:19 PM

Anyone else thinking of hols abroad in a couple of months? It’s pumping rain here and the idea of kerry/Waterford/mayo ( cornwall/blackpool/Lake District) in this weather is painful and seems like a waste of money. Jesus wept.

• Scythe For Bruce

Jun 3, 2021 at 3:19 PM

Rom – glad you’re able to join the league! Last I checked we’re up to thirteen people now, which is pretty good. Still plenty of time to double that at least before it starts next week I’m sure 🙂

Jun 3, 2021 at 3:20 PM

Mund,
    Yes Mund, I think most people are. There are probably a tiny minority who don’t want Saudi’s taking over.

• Scythe For Bruce

Jun 3, 2021 at 3:22 PM

Munster – me and the missus are planning a trip back over to England, but not until summer of next year. We want to make sure everything has settled down enough before we sit at two different airports and aboard two different planes.

Haven’t been back for over a decade now and I’m still desperate for those Greggs pasties and Dicksons saveloy dips. I’m obsessed at this point 😥

Jun 3, 2021 at 3:25 PM

Scythe,
    I’ll find out what match I’ll be getting for my 50th box when the fixtures come out, the 28th of Dec against a mid table club would be ideal as I’ll not get a CAT A game and I’ll definitely be off work then, shame you weren’t coming home for the Christmas.

Jun 3, 2021 at 3:31 PM

Scythe,
    There was a story in the Gazette years ago about some filthy rich woman originally from Shields who got a curry delivered from Ocean Rd to America.

• Adamn_92

Jun 3, 2021 at 3:42 PM

Other than any information coming directly from Newcastle, the consortium or any legal entities involved in either case, I wouldn’t take notice of any journalists, reports or sources etc. Caulkin is the only one to take some interest in as to my recollection he’s been pretty bang on and doesn’t say stuff for the sake of it. Always very honest when he doesn’t know and clear in what he’s saying.

Jun 3, 2021 at 3:45 PM

Adamn_92
    Can’t argue with that.

• Mund

Jun 3, 2021 at 3:50 PM

Adam

You have been on every single part of the fence throughout this.

I don’t think you have any idea what you are talking about as you follow the wind and always have done.

• Adamn_92

Jun 3, 2021 at 3:50 PM

Jail
    Never say never on here haha

• Adamn_92

Jun 3, 2021 at 3:51 PM

Oh right on queue.

• Adamn_92

Jun 3, 2021 at 3:51 PM

*CUE

Jun 3, 2021 at 3:53 PM

From Gian Franco Shola (9K followers):

“Even PIF & AS don’t really know if the takeover will happen or not, and when you look at the facts it does seem unlikely it will. So to get angry at people who share that scepticism and praise those that blindly say it will happen when they clearly don’t feels silly. #nufc”

• Mund

Jun 3, 2021 at 3:55 PM

Jail

Why do you put up how many followers they have? Is it some kind of verification?

Jun 3, 2021 at 3:56 PM

Mund,
    I’m sitting on the fence regarding it all. I’m not saying it’s not going to happen and not saying it will, I’d say there are tens of thousands with that same attitude.

• Mund

Jun 3, 2021 at 3:58 PM

You have stuck with you’re very own all the way through Jail not fence hoping whatsoever

Some just stick with the crowd

• Adamn_92

Jun 3, 2021 at 4:00 PM

Mund i’ve been quite clear on my views on the takeover for quite some time now. If some views on it have changed between when the news first broke of it, to this point today, that’s very natural. People change their opinions/views on stuff when new information (or lack of in this takeover a lot of the time) becomes available to them. So I don’t know what point you’re trying to make regarding me or why you repeatedly claim I don’t have my own opinions on here, when I regularly post something on here stating it’s just my take on it.

I haven’t had any interaction with you today so why you decided to take a dig at me I don’t know. Not looking for an argument today, you’ll have to find someone else. Enjoy your day and the sun if it’s as nice up there as it is down here at the moment.

Jun 3, 2021 at 4:02 PM

Mund,
    It’s because to get so many people following your account you obviously have to have said agreeable things. Eg, I’ve no idea why you posted a tweet from a guy with 100 followers that takeover news would be announced next week, albeit with a pinch of salt. If he had 10K followers it would be more credible as he’d be at risk of losing his following if he was full of shite. I’ve stopped following mouth of the Tyne and have blocked Highland Geordie and the dentist because of that.

• Mund

Jun 3, 2021 at 4:02 PM

No argument fella but keep saying that all the same you got called out the last time.

I’m saying it how it is simple as that.

No need for a long winded reply