web analytics

Defensive Target Confirms His Desire To Find New Club This Summer

Newcastle’s hopes of sealing a quick deal for Celtic’s Kristoffer Ajer hit a snag with news that his representatives are shopping their client around. It’s even been reported that they met with Bayer Leverkusen over the weekend with the Bundesliga club confident of adding the Norwegian to their ranks.

While the increased competition for our top defensive target is a concern, it’s almost certain he will not be signing a new deal at Celtic Park. The 23-year-old has just one year left on his contract but has ruled out signing a new one with the club he’s been with since the age of 16.

The Chronicle has published the following comments Ajer made to the Norwegian press on Wednesday about finding a new club this summer:

“With one year left of my contract, that would be the best solution for me and my club. Something is going to happen this summer.

“There are of course many rumours. Right now it’s just rumours.

“I have one year left on my contract with Celtic and I relate to it, but something will probably happen this summer.

“I have one year left and will be loyal to the club.

“For both me and Celtic to get the best possible starting point, it probably makes sense that it happens this year.

“I have brought with me experience from almost 180 games for a top club like Celtic.”

Celtic are in the hunt for a new manager and were close to appointing Eddie Howe before the former Bournemouth boss pulled out. From Ajer’s comments, it doesn’t appear that a new manager, whoever it ends up being, will have an impact on the Norwegian staying with the club.

He is set for a new challenge and up until a few days ago, it seemed he had his heart set on the Premier League with Newcastle leading the charge. That could still be the case though it may not be as smooth a process as Newcastle had initially hoped.

Who Was Newcastle Player Of The 2020-21 Season?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

Jun 4, 2021 at 5:06 PM

Howay bloggers, let’s be ‘aving you!!!

Jun 4, 2021 at 5:09 PM

Remember the frustrations our former manager had with Churnley taking so long to haggle, hum and har before losing out on targets, that hasn’t gone away.

Jun 4, 2021 at 5:15 PM

Josh King a no brainer given our level of ambition.

• jazzyp

Jun 4, 2021 at 5:19 PM

Josh king and Danny Rose …Takeover defo happening lads

• Munster Mag

Jun 4, 2021 at 5:42 PM

I read the Edwards article. Yes its a bit noisy and inflammatory to gain attention but the reaction by some here is predicatable – for example RH loses his pants.

It seems pretty accurate that Rafa probably hasn’t been swamped with sexy offers
    Its pretty accurate to say he causes political hassles
    Its pretty accurate to say he likes to inflame fans to his own aims

I didnt think he would be approached by the likes of Spurs. In some ways thats odd, because they need his prudence and calm approach. But I dont think he’s seen as being “up there” any more. I thought he would be perfect for Wolves, maybe that will still happen.

But say anything that question’s Benitez and some peoples worlds cave in.

He suits us and would be a useful appointment if we ever got to that level of ownership that we need, even if many NUFC fans would prefer a Potchettino type of approach and modern philosophy more, as would I . But Id take him back tomorrow ( but would prefer Bonna in there too)

• Bills Son Is Back

Jun 4, 2021 at 5:48 PM

How is Josh King getting a free at the ‘end of his contract’ when he was signed for £5M only in February this year?

A £5M player on a contract of a few months?

Doesn’t seem right to me – and Everton’s statement says the 4 players mentioned in the Mag article are leaving at the end of their contracts on frees.

Jun 4, 2021 at 5:53 PM

Yes Munster,
    Given the riches lavished upon us by Mike Ashley we can expect a Pochetino or Snagglesmith type manager to rock up any time now.

Jun 4, 2021 at 6:03 PM

One thing’s pretty certain, if he does take another PL job he’s had the nod off Staveley that the takeover has gone south, the less he’s linked with other clubs the better imo.

Jun 4, 2021 at 6:05 PM

Bill’s,
    Unless he had something in there that triggered a new deal which never happened and they’ve just cut their losses?

• Banana

Jun 4, 2021 at 6:07 PM

thought king’s deal was only until end of season with option to activate further if he wanted to.

not sure id go for him, would depend on salary.

Jun 4, 2021 at 6:10 PM

Banana,
    If he would take the same as Gayle then I think.it would be great business to offload Gayle and get him. Not what I want but as the great Steve Bruce would say this is where we’re at.

Jun 4, 2021 at 6:13 PM

Banana,
    Have you joined Scythes fantasy league?

• Banana

Jun 4, 2021 at 6:15 PM

jail for ashley

not sure what gayle is on, but the alleged wage king is after would be way too much for someone who probably wouldnt be in our first choice team.

time will tell though.

• Banana

Jun 4, 2021 at 6:16 PM

i havent yet, still undecided if i have the time to play it properly, seems a bit more full on than i was expecting- constantly changing players etc.

have made a draft team last week so will look again next week and see.

Jun 4, 2021 at 6:16 PM

123 Banana,
    Nice one, it’s a shame as there are eight names on there I don’t know. They obviously read the blog to have got the code, I wish all these people would post as well.

• Mund

Jun 4, 2021 at 6:17 PM

Munster

The article was written by Puke Edwards.
    Say no more….

Jun 4, 2021 at 6:18 PM

Banana,
    There’s a poster called Banana with the username 123 on there??

Jun 4, 2021 at 6:18 PM

Mund,
    You not joining up?

Jun 4, 2021 at 6:20 PM

Right off to work,
    I’ll be back on in 15 minutes 😆

• Banana

Jun 4, 2021 at 6:21 PM

jail for ashley

i havent joined yet, guess there must be more bananas about than i realised. 123 of them it seems.

Jun 4, 2021 at 6:30 PM

Oh well, I’ve started early tonight, I’ll have to try and make the time back up somehow later 😀

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Jun 4, 2021 at 6:31 PM

If Barclay could replicate his form when at Everton – then I would take him in a flash
    Scored a brilliant goal against us in the Gallowgate beat about 4 or 5 players and rammed in a unstoppable shot. Ran the show that day stuffed us 3-0 could of been more

Jun 4, 2021 at 6:34 PM

Charlie,
    He was brilliant at Villa until he got injured, don’t know what happened but he wasn’t the same player when he got back, I don’t think Villa will be signing him and he definitely won’t feature at Chelsea. He might be the next best thing to Willock if he can be ar$ed.

• Mund

Jun 4, 2021 at 6:34 PM

Jail

I lost interest in the FPL when we hit that rut and then lost the love. Don’t think I could be arsed checking on it every day.

Jun 4, 2021 at 6:36 PM

There’s rumours he has a drug problem but I’m really not sure how accurate they are.

Jun 4, 2021 at 6:52 PM

Very poor showing on here tonight mind 🙁

• Mund

Jun 4, 2021 at 6:54 PM

Beautiful weather Jail everybody will be out soaking up the rays I’d guess 😎

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Jun 4, 2021 at 6:55 PM

That Edwards article comes across as a very sly hatchet job on Rafa and the fans expectations to me

Giving it the whole Rafa was demanding money the club didn’t have Rafa would have been acutely aware of the finances and would quite rightly ask where the money has went as it certainly isn’t getting spent on the club

Ashley and his PR always try to present a squeaky clean image to the wider public and this feels like the first of many eventually leading to a new deal for Bruce etc

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Jun 4, 2021 at 6:57 PM

Edwards obviously been fed the information from Bruce or Ashley’s chums and happy to send it out

Jun 4, 2021 at 6:58 PM

Mund,
    If the wi fi signal isn’t strong enough in the garden people could always use their 4G, tight boogers 😕

• Novocastrian66

Jun 4, 2021 at 7:03 PM

Nufc matters is on. Compulsory viewing on a Friday night for me now.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jun 4, 2021 at 7:07 PM

Wouldn’t have any of the 4 from Everton, even if they are for free, why should they be good enough for us if they aint for them?

• Mund

Jun 4, 2021 at 7:12 PM

I never knew this but if you get nominated for an Oscar and lose, you get a 50K consolation prize 😀

Bit of pointless knowledge for you lot

To add to all the other pointless knowledge we have accumulated 😉

• jane

Jun 4, 2021 at 7:22 PM

so Rafa has been overlooked for top jobs because of his time at Newcastle?

• Scythe For Bruce

Jun 4, 2021 at 7:22 PM

Grrr, dreading the weekend. Forecast for low to mid-90s for five days straight. I’ll have to get all the AC units into the windows tomorrow morning. Don’t want to be watching the England game on Sunday sweating me b***ocks off.

Anyway, great to see more people signed up for the Euro League, even if I don’t know half of them. No matter, the more the merrier I suppose 🙂

• Mund

Jun 4, 2021 at 7:28 PM

Just imagine what else they will build and together with the Saudis when this takeover saga is finally over

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Jun 4, 2021 at 7:38 PM

Jail
    Wouldnt mind seeing Barclay and Willock in midfield together – pace, strength, power and can score goals.
    But alas doubt if anyone will come in
    Can see 8 or 9 of the team that started our last game starting our first
    Willock be gone so in comes Hayden for him
    Wilson and Lascalles to return
    Big trouble next season if we don’t sign anyone