web analytics

Newcastle Behind In Chase For Left-Back As Another Nervous Summer Awaits

There was a recent claim that Newcastle were not looking to bring Jetro Willems back this summer. The 27-year-old will become a free agent after his deal at Frankfurt expires later this month.

However, a left-back may not be on the docket this summer at St. James’ Park. If Matt Ritchie remains a Magpie, then that would give Bruce two excellent options at left wing-back with the 31-year-old battling it out with Jamal Lewis.

While Ritchie will turn 32 in September, he was outstanding in our final 9 matches where our season was turned around. So having his passion and leadership around for at least another season would be a popular outcome.

If Ritchie does end up moving, as he almost did in January to his former club Bournemouth, then left-back comes into play as a priority position. Though, we’ll likely have a replacement already brought in before a move away for Ritchie would be sanctioned.

Willems would be welcomed back with open arms. However, he’s not kicked a ball competitively since suffering his knee injury in January of 2020. Due to stringent post-Brexit transfer rules, the Dutchman could find it difficult to acquire a work permit.

Newcastle should have targets identified for the different scenarios that could play out this summer. That’s where a report from L’Equipe becomes intriguing. Get French Football News is citing a claim from the French outlet that Brest left-back Romain Perraud (pictured above) is being tracked by the Magpies.

The 23-year-old is coming off a stellar season for Brest, who just avoided relegation from Ligue 1 with a 17th place finish. The former Nice Academy product had 3 goals while providing 7 assists in 36 appearances.

In January of this year, he signed a new contract to 2025 which gives Brest some security should any club come knocking. According to L’Equipe, Newcastle, Leeds, and Southampton are all very interested in Perraud with the Saints reportedly leading the chase.

The problem for Newcastle is Perraud would cost a significant fee in the £8-12m range. Even if Newcastle sell Ritchie, the fee brought in would likely cover less than half of that amount.

With such a limited budget this summer, Newcastle will have to get creative to bring in any quality signings. It may also serve the club well to retain as many players as possible for at least next season.

Based on the following departure list published by the Premier League, that could be what Newcastle have decided to do. According to this list, the only senior players who won’t be retained are Andy Carroll, Christian Atsu, and Henri Saivet.

While it’s not official, Newcastle may be keeping Federico Fernandez and Dwight Gayle around next season. Both players are on contracts that expire at the end of the month while it’s been reported that Paul Dummett and Fabian Schar both have had year-long extensions triggered.

It could be another conservative window for Newcastle with the only hope of change coming by way of a successful resurrection of the Saudi-backed takeover. Though Mike Ashley’s pending dual legal battles could extend well into next season.

However, a source within St. James’ Park has revealed that our want-away owner remains convinced he’ll be vindicated in his attempt to get the takeover resurrected and even completed this summer. That is at least what Ken Lawrence claims in an exclusive in the The Sun.

In his report, Lawrence has published the following quote from a ‘source inside the club’:

“Mike Ashley is certain he’ll win his case.

“He has told the consortium to have their money ready to complete in a month.”

Hope springs eternal though after what we suffered through last summer, our optimism remains quite low. We’ll hopefully find out more in the coming weeks with Ashley’s anti-competition case against the league scheduled to get underway next Friday.

Who Was Newcastle Player Of The 2020-21 Season?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

Jun 6, 2021 at 5:54 AM

You mentioned the word argue so I wont let it drop and it is all in your head

Jun 6, 2021 at 5:55 AM

Are you saying I hear things now jazzy

Jun 6, 2021 at 5:55 AM

Well if the cap fits

Jun 6, 2021 at 6:00 AM

My doctor asked if anyone in my family was suffering from mental illness.I said;”No ,we all seem to enjoy it”

Jun 6, 2021 at 6:02 AM

That’s it mock the afflicted now why don’t you

Jun 6, 2021 at 6:02 AM

I give up,No matter what I say ya just gonna argue

Jun 6, 2021 at 6:04 AM

Debate

Jun 6, 2021 at 6:04 AM

Argue

Jun 6, 2021 at 6:05 AM

No I am debating

Jun 6, 2021 at 6:06 AM

Who is debating..You mentioned the word argue 2 years ago so I wont let it drop

Jun 6, 2021 at 6:07 AM

I give up with ya pal ya just not listening

• Wor B

Jun 6, 2021 at 7:06 AM

lol, The “living in a shoe box in t’ middle o’ road’ award goes to Sythe.

Honourable mention to jazzy for services to diplomacy for starting an argument in an empty room.

😆

• Ron Knee

Jun 6, 2021 at 8:09 AM

The sun comes up an’ the sun goes down,
    And the hands on the clock keep goin’ around.
    I just get up an’ it’s time to lay down.
    Life gets teejus, don’t it?

• Not another deJong

Jun 6, 2021 at 8:14 AM

George@Geordie2302
    #NUFCTakeover The most epic thread to date (x25 posts)……….

————————————

It is not that George and basically says, sit tight and wait n see.

• Not another deJong

Jun 6, 2021 at 8:18 AM

“teejus” (in my best library corner voice) a drink commonly associated with golfers.

• Wor B

Jun 6, 2021 at 8:48 AM

JadJ

As a contender for the title of worlds worst golfer I can verify your translation.

“My shoes untied but I don’t care
    I ain’t a-figurin’ on goin’ nowhere
    For I’d have to wash and comb my hair
    And that’s just wasted effort”

• Mund

Jun 6, 2021 at 8:49 AM

Someone’s had an episode this morning 😆

Some people just can’t let shit go

Anyway it’s Sunday and MATCHDAY! Well for me and my lad it is. 3 games left till end of the season and move up to under 8s.

It’s been costing me a fortune as he has scored every week for about 10 weeks now 😀 I told him for every goal he scores I’ll give him 2 quid 🙁 should of said 50p would of saved me some pennies

Jun 6, 2021 at 8:54 AM

Mund

It’s called banter sunshine and humour…Letting my hair down and having a bit of fun

• Mund

Jun 6, 2021 at 8:57 AM

Ok Jazzy banter with yourself lad? 😆

You’ve took it to far fella, way over the top.

By all means carry on tho

Jun 6, 2021 at 9:01 AM

Mund

I was having a laugh at my own expense …Get it.Nothing to do with you or anyone on here.
    Way over the top….Hahaha hahaha hahahaha

• Mund

Jun 6, 2021 at 9:02 AM

Ofc it was Jazzy 🙄

Have a good Sunday lad 😎

• scott

Jun 6, 2021 at 9:05 AM

Mund

If I remember correctly you’re son is just at the beginning of his footballing journey!
    Only just been moved up top!

Has a natural flair for finding the onion bag!
    £2 a goal is a schoolboy error!
    This time next year he will put an offer in for your house using your own money! 🙂

Jun 6, 2021 at 9:05 AM

Mund
    I will do mate thankyou,I’m here all day if ya wanna chat

• Mund

Jun 6, 2021 at 9:13 AM

Scott

When I made the offer I didn’t think he would go on this bloody goal scoring run 🙁 but tbh I love every second of this grassroots journey I have with my son. Definitely renegotiating after the end of this season 😆

Him and his best mate have a great partnership as they have been playing together for the last 4 years. I call them Silva and Aguero 🙂 as they link up so well and for only 7 years of age it’s canny impressive.

Jun 6, 2021 at 9:39 AM

If this latest ‘leak’ is a desperate attempt by Ashley to sell some tickets then it’s doomed to fail. I expect STs to be down about 20,000. Sure we may get a full house early next season, but they won’t be ST holders.

• lesh

Jun 6, 2021 at 9:43 AM

jazzyp

I can’t see Ashley taking a chance on ticket sales to fill the ground for the first home match. Rather than showing big gaps, he’ll likely issue thousands of freebies.

• Munster Mag

Jun 6, 2021 at 9:57 AM

Benefit of the doubt from me Jazzy, I had a bit of a giggle to be honest!

Mund good luck to your lad. My fella was sick yesterday and rugby cancelled today. Two mornings in bed 🙂

Although i’ll be off scaring trout soon enough.

• Not another deJong

Jun 6, 2021 at 10:01 AM

Mund

You don’t need to renegotiate, just change his position in order to ‘improve his progression’.

Jun 6, 2021 at 10:02 AM

Lesh
    Morning
    I still keep in touch with many that I sat around in the platinum,And hardly any have any interest in taking up any new offers.And it is such a shame as these are life long fans.
    For what it is worth the takeover has as much chance as last summer and unless Ashley has some groundbreaking evidence on the Pl..I don’t see it happening again

Jun 6, 2021 at 10:11 AM

Munster
    One minute of anger weakens the immune system by 4 to 5 hours.
    One minute of laughter boosts the immune system by 24hr.
    If you have a laugh at your self and a giggle at ya own expense like I did this morning .Then I feel sorry for some poor souls

Jun 6, 2021 at 10:19 AM

Can’t

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Jun 6, 2021 at 10:22 AM

Buendia is a great little player no surprise that we wouldn’t have even been in the running for him

No doubt we will hear all summer from a Bruce that “budgets are tight no one is spending” and then every other team will be spending apart from us…..

• Munster Mag

Jun 6, 2021 at 10:30 AM

Pretty awful to see Buendia go uncontested, if predictable.

• Ibizatoon

Jun 6, 2021 at 10:40 AM

Morning all…

Jazzy…Please listen to Jazzy and stop just being argumentative. He makes some valid points.

Jazzy…Good debating mate.

Mund…Is the issue that people call it the “Fakeover” and that to you makes no sense because there is clear proof that something has and is happening?

I don’t think people doubt there are parties out there, negotiations taking place, etc, etc. I think they feel Ashley’s intentions are what are fake.

Me personally? If pushed, I do feel the last year or 2 have been somewhat different from before and he is now more motivated to sell. The issue is and likely always will be, he is who he is. All assets are for sale at the right price. Ashley’s valuations have generally been a problem in the past. If he had really wanted it sold, he could have gotten it sold. Not even at a loss imo, but of course, he wants a profit.

That is the issue. Not that there isn’t a deal to be done, but few have faith that it will, because who knows what the genuine criteria is.
    The contractual disputes Ashley had after his involvement with Rangers is reason for concern to me. To be fair, so is the Saudi consortium ethics too, but I’ve really had too much of Ashley and what he has done the club and it’s fan base.

Jail…Peace? On day 1? Give me a long weekend at least.

• Ibizatoon

Jun 6, 2021 at 10:41 AM

Munster…Uncontested in general, or by us?

1 8 9 10