web analytics

Newcastle Behind In Chase For Left-Back As Another Nervous Summer Awaits

There was a recent claim that Newcastle were not looking to bring Jetro Willems back this summer. The 27-year-old will become a free agent after his deal at Frankfurt expires later this month.

However, a left-back may not be on the docket this summer at St. James’ Park. If Matt Ritchie remains a Magpie, then that would give Bruce two excellent options at left wing-back with the 31-year-old battling it out with Jamal Lewis.

While Ritchie will turn 32 in September, he was outstanding in our final 9 matches where our season was turned around. So having his passion and leadership around for at least another season would be a popular outcome.

If Ritchie does end up moving, as he almost did in January to his former club Bournemouth, then left-back comes into play as a priority position. Though, we’ll likely have a replacement already brought in before a move away for Ritchie would be sanctioned.

Willems would be welcomed back with open arms. However, he’s not kicked a ball competitively since suffering his knee injury in January of 2020. Due to stringent post-Brexit transfer rules, the Dutchman could find it difficult to acquire a work permit.

Newcastle should have targets identified for the different scenarios that could play out this summer. That’s where a report from L’Equipe becomes intriguing. Get French Football News is citing a claim from the French outlet that Brest left-back Romain Perraud (pictured above) is being tracked by the Magpies.

The 23-year-old is coming off a stellar season for Brest, who just avoided relegation from Ligue 1 with a 17th place finish. The former Nice Academy product had 3 goals while providing 7 assists in 36 appearances.

In January of this year, he signed a new contract to 2025 which gives Brest some security should any club come knocking. According to L’Equipe, Newcastle, Leeds, and Southampton are all very interested in Perraud with the Saints reportedly leading the chase.

The problem for Newcastle is Perraud would cost a significant fee in the £8-12m range. Even if Newcastle sell Ritchie, the fee brought in would likely cover less than half of that amount.

With such a limited budget this summer, Newcastle will have to get creative to bring in any quality signings. It may also serve the club well to retain as many players as possible for at least next season.

Based on the following departure list published by the Premier League, that could be what Newcastle have decided to do. According to this list, the only senior players who won’t be retained are Andy Carroll, Christian Atsu, and Henri Saivet.

While it’s not official, Newcastle may be keeping Federico Fernandez and Dwight Gayle around next season. Both players are on contracts that expire at the end of the month while it’s been reported that Paul Dummett and Fabian Schar both have had year-long extensions triggered.

It could be another conservative window for Newcastle with the only hope of change coming by way of a successful resurrection of the Saudi-backed takeover. Though Mike Ashley’s pending dual legal battles could extend well into next season.

However, a source within St. James’ Park has revealed that our want-away owner remains convinced he’ll be vindicated in his attempt to get the takeover resurrected and even completed this summer. That is at least what Ken Lawrence claims in an exclusive in the The Sun.

In his report, Lawrence has published the following quote from a ‘source inside the club’:

“Mike Ashley is certain he’ll win his case.

“He has told the consortium to have their money ready to complete in a month.”

Hope springs eternal though after what we suffered through last summer, our optimism remains quite low. We’ll hopefully find out more in the coming weeks with Ashley’s anti-competition case against the league scheduled to get underway next Friday.

Who Was Newcastle Player Of The 2020-21 Season?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• jazzyp

Jun 5, 2021 at 3:27 PM

Mund
    Tell ya what pal it is quite clear where this is going and I ain’t gonna go down that road.
    Ignore my posts and I will yours simple

• Mund

Jun 5, 2021 at 3:30 PM

😆 YCMIU on here at times

Ignore mine all you want

You brought arguing into a debate not me

• Mund

Jun 5, 2021 at 3:31 PM

Apparently SSN have reported what the Sun article said

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 5, 2021 at 3:32 PM

Harvey,
    It shows how quiet it is on here when people are not only engaging with Kets but actually taking him seriously 😳

• Munster Mag

Jun 5, 2021 at 3:33 PM

There u go again Mund, fighting again

🙂

Actually it’s been very peaceful here recently.

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 5, 2021 at 3:35 PM

So have The Chronicle Mund, now it’ll be all over news now with every outlet rewording it slightly and coming up with the same BS.

• Munster Mag

Jun 5, 2021 at 3:35 PM

The Sun article looked like standard dross Mund by I only sped read it. Did they mention a July date? I think you said something about that earlier? Interesting that Sky mentioned it. Surely adds a little more kudos, even a smidgen?

• jazzyp

Jun 5, 2021 at 3:36 PM

Well that worked

• Online Guy

Jun 5, 2021 at 3:37 PM

Dummet always had the tools and I think he has really come on because he is learning and taking it in all the time ..he has a bit of Fernandez tenacity and Schar with his passing and good feet in his make up .. Dummet is learning all the time .

Its like watching Frank Clark .

His Game has improved.

Meanwhile in Downtown Windemere ,, I am sailing , I am sailing , home again, cross the lake.

It’s a dirty job but someone’s got to do it !

• Ibizatoon

Jun 5, 2021 at 3:37 PM

Hey everyone,

Saw the sun headline (didn’t read the article…obviously), but thought I’d check in with my long lost brothers, sisters and those who identify as they wish, of the blog.

Let’s hope there’s some truth to it. Whatever your views are, as a fan base we desperately need to see some change at the club, if not to give us a better team, to at least give everyone something new to talk about.

Selling the club, is Dummett good enough, what is or isn’t an argument, it’s like I never left.

• Mund

Jun 5, 2021 at 3:38 PM

Ofc it’s a Sun article which should never be taking seriously but it will all come to a conclusion and the sooner the better

• jazzyp

Jun 5, 2021 at 3:40 PM

Jesus H christ …Ibizatoon comes out of the shadows
    How are you matey

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 5, 2021 at 3:40 PM

Jeez, the Sun article transported me back a year and in pops Ibizatoon to wind the clock back three.

• Ibizatoon

Jun 5, 2021 at 3:42 PM

Jazzy / Jail….Well, I wouldn’t want to miss the party…

It’s been a dreadful 18 months, but I think that goes for a lot of people really. So let’s go with, “not bad, thanks” – How about you? 🙂

• Optimistic prime

Jun 5, 2021 at 3:43 PM

Ibiza

How’s the fence?

• jazzyp

Jun 5, 2021 at 3:45 PM

Ibiza

I’m good thanks mate.Are you back or just passing through.
    Has ibiza suffered with having no custom.Bet it is quiet over there for a change

• Ibizatoon

Jun 5, 2021 at 3:47 PM

OP…We still keep in touch. It did a little stint in the States, keeping Mexicans out, but is on the lookout for new work now.

It sends its best to you and yours.

• Ibizatoon

Jun 5, 2021 at 3:50 PM

Jazzy…Pleased to hear it.
    No decision made yet. Probably passing through, but you just never know.
    It’s been a ghost island. A few tourists here at the moment (although not many Brits…), but for how long is anybody’s guess.

Restriction roulette is one hard game to play. All in all though, they’ve managed to keep the numbers down here, which for me, does come first. I know a lot of people have struggled with it worse than me though.

• John Tudor

Jun 5, 2021 at 3:51 PM

We are a joke club

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 5, 2021 at 3:52 PM

Ibizatoon,
    Are you doing a fantasy euros league this year.

• Optimistic prime

Jun 5, 2021 at 3:52 PM

Been too busy with work last few days, aint read the Sun article, until it actually succeeds or fails it’s just someone’s opinion.

• Online Guy

Jun 5, 2021 at 3:54 PM

Spotted 2 comments on my take on the piracy issue being yesterday’s news ..made lots of positive points that did not get a mention… only criticism of my take on the piracy .

Piracy has been discussed and KSA and Qatar are a long way down the road in resolving the issue .

No it should not be forgot and wont be but I’m talking about the here and now and the good moves made between the effected parties to resolve the issues.

Is it any wonder that people are reticent to post at times when they get jumped on by those that exsist here just ready to pounce.

Stop complaining about the lack of traffic here and take a look at you’re sniping then ask yourself the question again.. you will find the answer .

Munster..it was about 5 days ago now you wrote a superb post on how things are and more ..it was timed at 9 mins past noon .

Forget to tell you it was exactly as it is, as you say. Best post iv seen for months .. you and Bills sons who’s posts some seriously good stuff , really interesting.

Take it easy ..I am .

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 5, 2021 at 3:55 PM

Op,
    It was just a generic article that named no sources and said nothing that they could get taken to court for. Designed for the clicks it will have received when the only other big news was that Spurs have stopped talking to Conte.

• Ibizatoon

Jun 5, 2021 at 3:55 PM

Jail…I haven’t. Do you have one going? You know me, always happy to embarrass myself.

OP…My thoughts too. Seems pointless to read more guff about the sale. If it’s real, it will become clear. Until then, I can’t bring myself to think too much about it.

• Online Guy

Jun 5, 2021 at 4:00 PM

Hello Ibiza !

Hope yer well kinda.

Been a bad year for all .

Iv been messing about with old cars ..down to Goodwood..racing, and oily shennanigans.

Stay safe as they say nowadays.

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 5, 2021 at 4:00 PM

OLG,
    I believe the Soumare bid was a sham. Bill’s has jumped on that, it does not make me reticent to post that view again, are you saying that Bill’s should not have jumped on my post waiting to snipe. Where would that leave debate?

• Online Guy

Jun 5, 2021 at 4:01 PM

That Sun article was just lazy summer click bait non jounalisim.

• jazzyp

Jun 5, 2021 at 4:02 PM

This time last year the Sun was posting the exact same drivel on the Fakeover and here we are a year on trying to shed the same bullshite.
    Like most don’t give it much time till it is fact

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 5, 2021 at 4:02 PM

Ibizatoon,
    Aye, I’m right in to it, download the app, get yourself a team together and I’m sure Scythe will be putting the code on again numerous times over the next few days.

• Ibizatoon

Jun 5, 2021 at 4:04 PM

Well hello Online Guy. Glad you’re doing okay and keeping busy and sane (well, relatively…let’s not kid ourselves here).

Thanks and the same to you.

You’ve touched on what really is the blogs biggest topic. What is debate and what is argument / sniping? It becomes tough, as people with similar views often will be seen to be grouping together. I suppose respect is probably the key. Anyway, probably too big a topic for me to take on. It is my first day back after all.

• Ibizatoon

Jun 5, 2021 at 4:06 PM

Jail…Sounds good. Watch your back.

• Scythe For Bruce

Jun 5, 2021 at 4:13 PM

Ibiza

Getting the link and code for the Euro League for you now. Two minutes…

• Ibizatoon

Jun 5, 2021 at 4:14 PM

Cheers Scythe. Might I add, you look simply delightful in your picture.

• Scythe For Bruce

Jun 5, 2021 at 4:15 PM

Code: 9851NSWN01

Just create an account and set your team up and then hit the link above. It’s just for a laugh and for blog bragging rights and some craic. I haven’t played this before and have no idea how it works so if you haven’t either, don’t worry about it 🙂

• Online Guy

Jun 5, 2021 at 4:17 PM

Jail, I’v not seen bills take on Soumare bid .

I know you think it was a sham..fair enough it’s you’re opinion
    I wouldn’t knock you for that..

I think the bid was a sham but don’t know anything about mooted transfer fee . My conclusion is it was a Sham unless Ashley was going to up the wage structure ..and that’s not Ash.

As for debate ..theres fair minded debate and there is also a case to be made for people not getting involved for fear of people waiting to jump on them..in a bad way. They mention the negative points in pulling somones post apart but make no comment on a writers positive points..thats all.. it makes people read rather than write and equates to less traffic.

If fair comment is made by a respondee then the initiall writer can respond in a manner that would encourage debate without resorting to sly asides and childish name calling, as happens .

• Scythe For Bruce

Jun 5, 2021 at 4:17 PM

One of my better pics. I was just about to play a game of Battleship with a couple of friends when that photo was taken.

• Scythe For Bruce

Jun 5, 2021 at 4:18 PM

That’s the link to create your account and team too.

Good luck!

• Ibizatoon

Jun 5, 2021 at 4:20 PM

Thanks Scythe.

Battleships you say. There was me thinking you were using your tinder profile pic.

• Mund