web analytics

Newcastle Reportedly Targeting French Defender Should He Become Available

There’s an interesting claim in The Mail that Newcastle have added Arsenal’s William Saliba to the expanding list of defensive targets. Gunner’s boss Mikel Arteta is still yet to decide on how the highly-rated 20-year-old figures into his plans for this upcoming season.

Newcastle see the Frenchman as a potential loan option should moves for other center-back targets falter. In Simon Jones’s report, he states that a deal for Celtic’s Kristoffer Ajer is now unlikely. Though it seems a little early to make that definitive of a claim.

Saliba joined Arsenal two summers ago in a £27m move from Ligue 1 club Saint-Etienne. As part of the deal, he remained in France on loan for the 2019-20 season. Last season, after spending the first-half of the campaign with Arsenal’s U23s he moved to Nice in January where he immediately went into the starting eleven.

Arteta may want to take a long look at Saliba after his impressive spell with Nice which included 20 starts in the league. There will be a squad place ready should he impress with David Luiz leaving the Emirates next month after two seasons.

The glaring issue Newcastle pursuing Saliba is it would rule out another loan move for Joe Willock. Jones addresses this by claiming that Willock will only be allowed to leave for £20m. There is also the potential he ends up with a new deal at Arsenal.

There still loads to happen before the start of the season in regards to Willock’s future and what young center-back Newcastle end up landing. Saliba seems ready to fight for his Arsenal place while I don’t see Newcastle’s pursuit of Kristoffer Ajer ending so abruptly.

Who Was Newcastle Player Of The 2020-21 Season?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• DubaiMicky

Jun 6, 2021 at 4:57 PM

We need a midfielder and a striker!

Unless we’re getting 4 new players in?

• Optimistic prime

Jun 6, 2021 at 5:02 PM

We need a new owner, director of football and manager.

Or a miracle

• Scythe For Bruce

Jun 6, 2021 at 5:03 PM

Roy Keane is right about Jordan Henderson. If everyone knows he isn’t going to be fit enough to play at all, then why take him? Southgate says for his leadership? That’s the bloody manager’s job! And the captain of the team. Waste of a squad place. Lingard or Ward-Prowse should be going instead of Henderson.

• Adamn_92

Jun 6, 2021 at 5:05 PM

Business as normal until it’s a done deal makes no sense to me. Let Ashley and Bruce wheel and deal with transfers and contracts so you have a squad you don’t want when you get the keys. There would surely be some communication to agree on contracts and transfers if a deal was anywhere near close. Like I said I’m sure if it was close, the consortium and Ashley could work something so decent players could be brought and Ashley is reimbursed the money.

• Scythe For Bruce

Jun 6, 2021 at 5:05 PM

Or even invite Henderson along as a member of the back room staff if they need his presence around the team but not actually playing. Makes you wonder what goes on in the heads of managers sometimes. Common sense seems to vanish at times.

• Scythe For Bruce

Jun 6, 2021 at 5:07 PM

I can understand him playing the B Team today. Gives the players a chance to recover who’ll probably be starting the tournament after playing in Europe for their clubs and Southgate can get a good looks at who can replace TAA.

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 6, 2021 at 5:09 PM

What channel is Engerland on anyone in UK?

• Romford mag

Jun 6, 2021 at 5:10 PM

Itv

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 6, 2021 at 5:17 PM

Romford Mag,
    There’s been a mess up and we haven’t got it for some reason 🙁

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 6, 2021 at 5:18 PM

EGB,
    From previous. Let’s hope not.

• Mund

Jun 6, 2021 at 5:19 PM

Says who Adam?

Have you worked on many deals or been around deals of such nature?

The consortium won’t have any influence as the Saudis who will be the majority share holder do not plan anything until the deal is done.

• Romford mag

Jun 6, 2021 at 5:22 PM

Jail

To be honest you’re not missing much !

• Scythe For Bruce

Jun 6, 2021 at 5:23 PM

Jail

Have you got a VPN? That’s how I’m watching it over here. Couldn’t do without it. They show all the Premier League games over here but hardly any of the England international games so it’s great being able to watch BBC or ITV live on the online players.

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 6, 2021 at 5:24 PM

So Ashley would have had to give all the money back for the things he outsources like the catering. Although he trousers the cash for that no doubt the refunds will be coming out of the clubs coffers. As for transfers I’m sure everyone would be happy with Willock, Choudry, King and Ajer, that could probably be done with £40M-ish. There must be some money in the kitty and I’m sure the consortium wouldn’t object to a very serviceable £25M debt. If it doesn’t happen Ashley is left with very saleable assets. It has to make more sense than having Dwight Gayle stink the place out.

• Ace50

Jun 6, 2021 at 5:24 PM

Adamn….I understand what you are saying but we don’t know that communication isn’t occurring between seller/buyer. Whilst the ‘rumours’ don’t give great weight to something being close to complete, we are just guessing what’s being said and done behind the scene.

• carltoon

Jun 6, 2021 at 5:25 PM

Is Ming’s hopeless, or is it just me who thinks so. Yes!!! Let’s take a an injured player, and leave a fit player out, 🙄

• Ace50

Jun 6, 2021 at 5:26 PM

Agree with Roy Keane. Ridiculous to take a player who they know won’t be fit. If he won’t be fit, leave him out of the squad and take him as a ‘coach’.

• Novocastrian66

Jun 6, 2021 at 5:28 PM

Southgate and Bruce two sides of the same coin.

• Scythe For Bruce

Jun 6, 2021 at 5:30 PM

carltoon

I’d have Godfrey and White in ahead of Mings, although I’d have liked Mee or Tarkowski in the squad ahead of Mings. I think they get overlooked because they play for Burnley.

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 6, 2021 at 5:30 PM

OK Mund, then swap the word Saudi’s for consortium and it brings you back to the same point.

• hibbit

Jun 6, 2021 at 5:30 PM

Mund can i ask you the same question as you ask Adam??

How many deals of this size and nature, and in what capacity have you your self been involved in ??

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 6, 2021 at 5:31 PM

Ace50,
    The Dutch have taken VVD mind for his influence on the squad.

• Romford mag

Jun 6, 2021 at 5:33 PM

Ward prowse having a good game so far

• Ace50

Jun 6, 2021 at 5:33 PM

The ‘business as usual’ makes some sense. Whilst Ashley is spouting high degrees of confidence of winning so he will successfully sell within a month, nothing is going to be 100% guaranteed. So I would imagine it doesn’t matter how rich you are, you aren’t going to risk 10s of millions on something that might not come off, irrespective of the small risk (if we take what Ashley said recently as ‘truth’)
    I really hope it does go though 🙂

• Scythe For Bruce

Jun 6, 2021 at 5:34 PM

Ace50

See comment #5 above 🙂

• Ace50

Jun 6, 2021 at 5:35 PM

Thanks Jail. I hadn’t realised that. Still, I can’t see any reason why those characters with perceived significant influence, could be taken in some sort of back room role. Is there any reason that couldn’t happen? For VVD, or for Henderson?

• Mund

Jun 6, 2021 at 5:36 PM

Jail

I’m sure the consortium themselves consisting of Staveley and the Reubens would agree with what you say but the Saudis would never agree to anything unless there was a clear path to goal and considering they would be majority share holder by some margin, they are the ones to be in charge.

• Ace50

Jun 6, 2021 at 5:36 PM

Haha Scythe…that will teach me to skim read. I will certainly read all of your posts in full detail in future

• Scythe For Bruce

Jun 6, 2021 at 5:36 PM

• Scythe For Bruce

Jun 6, 2021 at 5:38 PM

Ace50

Reading my posts in any kind of detail will be detrimental to your health and I absolutely advise against it. Skimming the comments is definitely the way to go these days!

• Romford mag

Jun 6, 2021 at 5:38 PM

Unlucky Sancho

• Scythe For Bruce

Jun 6, 2021 at 5:40 PM

What a goal that would have been from Sancho. Another class youngster at our disposal in this squad.

• Adamn_92

Jun 6, 2021 at 5:42 PM

Says me Mund. I’ve never claimed to have been part of any deal like this and am clearly just giving my own opinion on it, no different to anyone else.

Ace, that’s very true and for all we know they are in communication. You’d assume they must be to someone degree if they’re still trying to do a deal. I just think personally if they are then players and contracts would be talked about to some degree; so they don’t inherit a squad with players they don’t want and contracts for those players etc. Again, this is just my opinion. If it’s business as usual then it says to me that a deal is nowhere near. Everyone will view that differently though.

• Mund

Jun 6, 2021 at 5:47 PM

• Ace50

Jun 6, 2021 at 5:48 PM

Adamn. That all makes sense. I guess what I am also getting at is there’s lots of different rumours and misinformation about potential targets, transfers, contracts etc…., that it’s really difficult to have much faith in any of the stories in relation to them. With that in mind, we don’t know what comms will be taking place between Ashley and potential buyers.
    Difficulty with all of this is we (NUFC) are really poor at getting our targets in early, so considering the above, that’s not going to help at all 🙁

• Online Guy

Jun 6, 2021 at 5:49 PM

Jail, just a quick one as I am soaking up the Sun on board here and sipping a long cool aperitif before dinner.

Its a dirty job but somebody has to partake .

You made my point for me with your words to me yesterday, less than friendly would be the best non confrontational way to put it to you.

After you’re nasty post to me I was reticent to reply as I did not want to get involved with you, hence less traffic.

You are a strange fellow Jail .

Les Misérables

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 6, 2021 at 5:50 PM

Just had a parmo. Not sure what all the fuss is about.

• simon376

Jun 6, 2021 at 5:51 PM

Scythe

Did you say you used to live in Palmerson Street in Shields? My Nana lived there till she got married. Funny story when you mentioned maybe going to Canada. My Nanas parents stayed in Shields as they had only been married a couple of years and young children, she was one of 6. My Great Granddads brothers daughter had got pregnant out of wedlock and as he was a lay preacher, the rest of them went of to Canada about 1911/12 to escape the shame haha. What we found funny about all that was the family had started of down South, then come up here, Gavin’s gradparents went back down south just before the 2nd world war started. Gavin of course came here from Kent then had a son in Newcastle, but ended up in Calgary where the rest of the family eloped to. You left Plamerson street and eventually ended up in America and wanting to go to Canada, small world eh

• Jail for Ashley