web analytics

Former Magpie Considers Newcastle A Great Option But Unsure Where Everything Stands

Mike Ashley has apparently approved Steve Bruce’s plan to get some signings through the door early this summer. With the window officially opening on Wednesday, June 9th, hopefully, Newcastle have been making progress on some of their targets.

There have been quite a few of them with a plethora of center-halves and midfielders linked over the past few weeks. There have also been reports that Bruce has been sounding out a few potential targets like Leicester City’s Hamza Choudhury.

Josh King has jumped to the top of Bruce’s wishlist with the recent revelation that he’ll become a free agent next month. The 29-year-old has been linked with Newcastle for years and was considered a top target last summer before Bruce went all-in on Bournemouth teammate Callum Wilson.

Everton have opted against a new deal for the pacy forward which makes him a tantalizing proposition for the Magpies this summer. Newcastle will reportedly meet with King within the next few weeks.

Bruce is not expected to be backed with much of a transfer budget, so free agents and loan signings will be high on the agenda. So we could see one big permanent deal like Celtic’s Kristoffer Ajer mixed with a couple of free agents and loanees. However, it’s vital that they improve the squad and are not brought in to make up the numbers.

One free agent that would likely jump at the chance to sign for Newcastle is former Magpie Jetro Willems. The 27-year-old has given an interview with The Chronicle where he stated the following about a return to Tyneside:

“I had a great time at Newcastle and for me, I want something else. I had a good time in Germany and won some titles and some nice things but I wanted something else.

“Of course Newcastle is a very nice option for me. I was there for a long time – like, half a year – and I was enjoying the moment there. It’s a great option and it’s a club which knows me, I know them. It would be great to join them.

“To be honest I don’t know where everything stands right now. I told my agent – I’m at CAA Base now, a UK agency – I want to go on vacation first and then when I come back I’ll speak about clubs, the clubs he has interested and what is going on.

“I was building up strength in my knee and just recovery and everything – training for half a year so I think it’s now two years since I had a vacation. We both agreed to have a little holiday and re-assess when I come back.”

There have been recent reports that Newcastle are not after another left-back in this window. With Matt Ritchie and Jamal Lewis as left wing-back options, it makes sense to concentrate on other areas of need.

There’s also the issue with Willems not having played for the past 18 months. He’s been fit since December but after turning down an extension with Frankfurt in January, he was not utilized during the second half of last season.

This is what Jetro had to say about his fitness and his frustration with not playing last season:

“It hasn’t been easy all this time but I’ve been ready to play since December.

“I was in the squad (at Eintracht Frankfurt) for half a year – obviously I didn’t get the chance to show myself and to play for some reasons and everyone knows what they are.

“But I’m feeling good, my knee is really good and everything feels great. I’m ready.”

While Newcastle may be comfortable bringing him in based on his previous time with the club, a potential issue arises with the post-Brexit transfer rules on foreign players. Willems may not be granted a work permit due to his lack of appearances.

It could be a long summer for the Dutchman as he hunts for a new club. If Ritchie ends up leaving as he almost did in January, it would be worth trying to get Jetro back to Newcastle.

Who Was Newcastle Player Of The 2020-21 Season?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• magicmac54

Jun 7, 2021 at 9:37 PM

Do any of you guys on the blog know Bobbybee in real life, i enjoyed Bobby on the blog and he was a dam good loyal fan, he seemed to go of the beaten track a bit towards the end of his time on here unfortunately which was quite sad, i hope Bobby is ok.

• WLtoon

Jun 7, 2021 at 9:44 PM

Haven`t been on much of late, iv`e been lapping life up on furlough and enjoying the sun but i`m back at work tomorrow so it`s back to mundane routines again.

Magicmac,.

Happy Birthday mate, i hope you have had a good one.

• Wor B

Jun 7, 2021 at 9:44 PM

Mrs Wor is a Gemini.

So is Mrs Wor, never a dull moment.

πŸ™‚

• magicmac54

Jun 7, 2021 at 9:47 PM

Mund@39

Thanks for that post about George Caulkin mate, i hope to God he is the one to announce the takeover if its approved in the near future mate. I see your lad is costing you a fortune banging in the goals, at least you dont have deep pockets and short arms like someone i wont mention as i want to remain happy tonight πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

• magicmac54

Jun 7, 2021 at 9:50 PM

Wor B

So Mrs Wor is a gemini wow lucky you, hot passionate romantic loving, what more could you ask for young Wor B πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

• WLtoon

Jun 7, 2021 at 9:51 PM

I enjoyed BobbyBee `s posts, he wasn`t as mad as some think, quite intelligent but also controversial, it`s a shame he was hounded off here

• Wor B

Jun 7, 2021 at 9:54 PM

Magic

Aye mate, livin the dream, mind you, sleeping in a stab vest gets a bit teejus at times.

πŸ˜‰

• lochinvar

Jun 7, 2021 at 9:57 PM

Anyone applying?
    Is Shola the boss?

• magicmac54

Jun 7, 2021 at 10:00 PM

Omar WLtoon

Evening mate, i haven`t had the pleasure of chatting with you for quite a while, thanks for your kind words about my birthday, getting old mate πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ i liked your post i think it was last week saying if anyone looks out for a guy looking like omar sharif wearing shorts with a red face drinking pints at the bar its me a real classic and it made me chuckle πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

• magicmac54

Jun 7, 2021 at 10:03 PM

Wor B

Does that mean you sleep with one eye open πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

• Ketsbaia9

Jun 7, 2021 at 10:04 PM

Haha, could have got Aboubakar and Willems for free instead of Joelinton and Lewis. Much better players. Β£55m wasted. Joelinton has 3 good games a season. Lewis maybe one against Everton away.

• magicmac54

Jun 7, 2021 at 10:07 PM

WLtoon

I chatted with Bobbybee quite a few times and had no problem with him, he definitely was a real passionate loyal toon fan beyond doubt a bit like Carltoon.

• Wor B

Jun 7, 2021 at 10:10 PM

Magic

Around 7 out of 28 nights.

😳

• magicmac54

Jun 7, 2021 at 10:11 PM

Ketsbaia9

Kets i totally agree it was money wasted on Joelinton but with a half decent manager i think young Lewis would do very well Kets.

• magicmac54

Jun 7, 2021 at 10:14 PM

Wor B

Do you think this takeover will get the green light at some point in the future mate, i like asking you easy questions Wor B πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

• cleveleysbob

Jun 7, 2021 at 10:15 PM

Just back after a bit of Netflix watching. Happy Birthday Magic, you’re a bit young for on here though πŸ˜‰

Also thanks to all those with greetings for t’morrow, much appreciated. Gemini’s rule!

Or is that Gemini’s rock, can’t remember (that sounds familiar) πŸ˜†

• cleveleysbob

Jun 7, 2021 at 10:17 PM

Wor B @53, that was funny mate, made me chuckle. Similar experiences it seems. πŸ˜‰

• Swlabr

Jun 7, 2021 at 10:17 PM

A couple of months ago I asked Neil to pass a message to Bobby to ask how he was getting on. After a week Neil told me there’d been no reply. No further forward.

• Just a fan

Jun 7, 2021 at 10:18 PM

Wltoon
    I don’t think bobbybee was the type to be hounded of anywhere.
    Just hope he is ok.

• Just a fan

Jun 7, 2021 at 10:20 PM

Time was highly watchable.
    I thought it might be quite harrowing for a sensitive soul like myself but it was ok.

• Swlabr

Jun 7, 2021 at 10:22 PM

Jail, just an aside, l keep having the odd chuckle at “jiblos De Benwueles”.

• Wor B

Jun 7, 2021 at 10:23 PM

Magic

Ahh that’s an easy one my friend. πŸ™‚

But unfortunately I’m sworn to secrecy, all my lights (red and green) are protected by NDAs

πŸ™

• Wor B

Jun 7, 2021 at 10:33 PM

Cbob

All the best for tomorrow.

May your pillows always be cool and your hot-water bottle never leak.

πŸ™‚

• magicmac54

Jun 7, 2021 at 10:34 PM

Cleveleysbob

Hi Bob mate, great to see you crace the blog again my friend, and yes gemini rule for sure πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ No doubt you will have special plans for your birthday tomorrow with your wor lass, i take it your looking forward to the European Championship

• magicmac54

Jun 7, 2021 at 10:40 PM

Just a fan

I totally agree with you fella as i dont think Bobbybee would have been hounded of anywhere as he was definitely was no soft touch and could dish it out when required, i also hope he is ok and in good health.

• magicmac54

Jun 7, 2021 at 10:42 PM

Time for bed guys, enjoy the rest of your evening, take care everyone and be good πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ Nite Nite

• magscar

Jun 7, 2021 at 10:50 PM

I too liked Bobbybee but as I recall his last posts ( about a year ago?) were troubling and unconnected with NUFC .

I agree he was unlikely to have been driven off Blog (for long) and I did and still do fear for his health especially given Covid and his back problems etc

Not good that Neil didn’t get a reply to his email contsct

πŸ™

• Wor B

Jun 7, 2021 at 10:52 PM

Bobbybee was always good value whether you agreed with his views or not, some of his rants are the stuff of legend. I can’t help feeling that his self medication / pain relief were partly responsible for his more extreme theories.

I recall he had serious health issues, I hope he’s ok.

• lochinvar

Jun 7, 2021 at 10:53 PM

Wasn’t Bobby Bee up the coast somewhere like Newbiggin? Think it cropped up in chats now and again.
    Would be good to hear from him, plenty of good folk about.

• Ketsbaia9

Jun 7, 2021 at 10:53 PM

Lewis is rubbish. Won’t make it. Nowhere near as good as Willems/Bernard/Santon/Domi etc.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jun 7, 2021 at 10:55 PM

Anyone bidding for the third seat in Bezos’s rocket?

• magscar

Jun 7, 2021 at 10:56 PM

On TV matters “Time” was excellent and very well observed .Best thing on terrestrial TV this year – not hard I know but it was typical Jimmy McGovern superb writing and characters

• cleveleysbob

Jun 7, 2021 at 11:02 PM

Night Magic and cheers WorB.

Where’s Regan? Not seen him about since I started lurking again over the weekend.

Anyone know owt?

• cleveleysbob

Jun 7, 2021 at 11:03 PM

Bill, I think they’re very β€œbrave” to risk both brothers on the same flight!

Is brave the right word? πŸ™‚

• Wor B

Jun 7, 2021 at 11:05 PM

Cbob

I think Regan is busy renegotiating his Portugal holiday dates.

πŸ™

• Wor B

Jun 7, 2021 at 11:07 PM

Bill #71

We could crowd fund the fare to send Ashley up. πŸ˜†

• cleveleysbob

Jun 7, 2021 at 11:11 PM

I enjoyed some of the local reminiscing regarding South Shields over the weekend.

My good lady was born in Egerton Road, her grandma and pa owned the local dairy there, I believe they lived either above it or opposite (one or other). This is at the far end of Stanhope Road, where a few of you were from. The Mrs and her parents moved to Marsden in early 50’s and stayed there until this flash Newcastle lad swept her away.

Mustn’t have been too bad as still together for 51 years in total (married last 49). πŸ˜€

• cleveleysbob

Jun 7, 2021 at 11:12 PM

Wor B, him and GT then, going same week weren’t they? πŸ™

• cleveleysbob

Jun 7, 2021 at 11:14 PM

Wor B @ 76, best idea I’ve heard all year. πŸ˜†

• cleveleysbob

Jun 7, 2021 at 11:16 PM

Anyhoo, I’m going to catch up on some reading before crashing out, so bid you all good night and will catch up tomorrow.