web analytics

Former Magpie Considers Newcastle A Great Option But Unsure Where Everything Stands

Mike Ashley has apparently approved Steve Bruce’s plan to get some signings through the door early this summer. With the window officially opening on Wednesday, June 9th, hopefully, Newcastle have been making progress on some of their targets.

There have been quite a few of them with a plethora of center-halves and midfielders linked over the past few weeks. There have also been reports that Bruce has been sounding out a few potential targets like Leicester City’s Hamza Choudhury.

Josh King has jumped to the top of Bruce’s wishlist with the recent revelation that he’ll become a free agent next month. The 29-year-old has been linked with Newcastle for years and was considered a top target last summer before Bruce went all-in on Bournemouth teammate Callum Wilson.

Everton have opted against a new deal for the pacy forward which makes him a tantalizing proposition for the Magpies this summer. Newcastle will reportedly meet with King within the next few weeks.

Bruce is not expected to be backed with much of a transfer budget, so free agents and loan signings will be high on the agenda. So we could see one big permanent deal like Celtic’s Kristoffer Ajer mixed with a couple of free agents and loanees. However, it’s vital that they improve the squad and are not brought in to make up the numbers.

One free agent that would likely jump at the chance to sign for Newcastle is former Magpie Jetro Willems. The 27-year-old has given an interview with The Chronicle where he stated the following about a return to Tyneside:

“I had a great time at Newcastle and for me, I want something else. I had a good time in Germany and won some titles and some nice things but I wanted something else.

“Of course Newcastle is a very nice option for me. I was there for a long time – like, half a year – and I was enjoying the moment there. It’s a great option and it’s a club which knows me, I know them. It would be great to join them.

“To be honest I don’t know where everything stands right now. I told my agent – I’m at CAA Base now, a UK agency – I want to go on vacation first and then when I come back I’ll speak about clubs, the clubs he has interested and what is going on.

“I was building up strength in my knee and just recovery and everything – training for half a year so I think it’s now two years since I had a vacation. We both agreed to have a little holiday and re-assess when I come back.”

There have been recent reports that Newcastle are not after another left-back in this window. With Matt Ritchie and Jamal Lewis as left wing-back options, it makes sense to concentrate on other areas of need.

There’s also the issue with Willems not having played for the past 18 months. He’s been fit since December but after turning down an extension with Frankfurt in January, he was not utilized during the second half of last season.

This is what Jetro had to say about his fitness and his frustration with not playing last season:

“It hasn’t been easy all this time but I’ve been ready to play since December.

“I was in the squad (at Eintracht Frankfurt) for half a year – obviously I didn’t get the chance to show myself and to play for some reasons and everyone knows what they are.

“But I’m feeling good, my knee is really good and everything feels great. I’m ready.”

While Newcastle may be comfortable bringing him in based on his previous time with the club, a potential issue arises with the post-Brexit transfer rules on foreign players. Willems may not be granted a work permit due to his lack of appearances.

It could be a long summer for the Dutchman as he hunts for a new club. If Ritchie ends up leaving as he almost did in January, it would be worth trying to get Jetro back to Newcastle.

Who Was Newcastle Player Of The 2020-21 Season?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Wor B

Jun 7, 2021 at 11:16 PM

Cbob

Aye, I bet she has to pinch herself at times for her good luck in capturing you.

Seriously though, well done on your next anniversary!

🙂

• Wor B

Jun 7, 2021 at 11:27 PM

Enough from me, golf day out tomorrow. 🙂

One for jazzyp…

Take care all.

• Nicky the ball tosser

Jun 7, 2021 at 11:30 PM

Seeing stories about Matty getting a loan move away, most likely to a Championship club, which really does seem very necessary now, for his development. He’s a good player, but over 90 minutes struggles to best his opposite number at EPL level, at this stage. Bruce was justified in not playing him I think, although less justified in keeping him around just in case. But now he really needs a move away, to be fair to the lad.

• anxer

Jun 7, 2021 at 11:44 PM

I would agree that Matty needs a loan and is not the finished article by a long chalk, but if I was him I’d be so cheesed off that I’d been kept out of the team by Hendrick! He literally offers nothing except jogging about looking vaguely like a footballer. Doesn’t tackle, doesn’t create, rarely presses. Who knows how much Matty would have improved given the same minutes this season?

Then again not trusting in and developing. our youth has been a theme for years, maybe even since Sir Bobby was sacked. Or maybe they just aren’t good enough due to years of chronic underinvestment at all levels of the club.

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 7, 2021 at 11:54 PM

I get the feeling Matty was being punished for his contract saga last season and possibly a big fall out with Bruce because of it.

• anxer

Jun 8, 2021 at 12:02 AM

That’s a distinct possibility. If Bruce’s press conferences have taught us anything this year, it’s that he’s a bit of a petty vindictive twunt.

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 8, 2021 at 12:28 AM

anxer,
    Aye, a very cetty punt!!

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 8, 2021 at 12:29 AM

I’m not his biggest fan at all.

• anxer

Jun 8, 2021 at 12:45 AM

Yeah he’s a grade A tit. I’m amazed he’s got a reputation of being a great man manager, he just keeps throwing players under the bus and pishing squad members off.

Maybe Ashley’s admiration for him stems from the media backed PR that he’s got going on rather than any football management ability? Listening to his pals on the TV gives me cognitive dissonance!

He might come across as a nice guy initially but when the pressure is on I wouldn’t trust him to have my back, that’s for sure.

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 8, 2021 at 1:18 AM

anxer,
    Ashley likes him because they would have established an understanding concerning the lack of ambition. Bruce would have been happy to share the views of his and his Man U pals that we are a bottom half club who’s fans expect too much, in turn it would have been music to Ashley’s ears that Bruce was happy just to survive and music to Bruce’s ears that he wouldn’t be sacked for finishing 17th or getting dumped out of cups by Brentfords B team.

• anxer

Jun 8, 2021 at 1:34 AM

Well let’s hope before too long they’re both just an unpleasant memory. Won’t be holding my breath yet though.

Night all.

• lesh

Jun 8, 2021 at 2:42 AM

Magicmac54

A lovely song sung by your favourite gal along with a couple of girls of Irish stock, supported by Aly Baine et al.

G’night all.

• lesh

Jun 8, 2021 at 3:05 AM

This time…..

Something to get you early birds’ feet tapping

• DubaiMicky

Jun 8, 2021 at 4:13 AM

Every day’s a school day

The difference between a typeface and a font:-

A typeface is a particular set of glyphs or sorts (an alphabet and its corresponding accessories such as numerals and punctuation) that share a common design. For example, Helvetica is a well known typeface. A font is a particular set of glyphs within a typeface. So, 12 point Helvetica is a font, and 10 point Helvetica is a separate font. The same goes for different weights – a 14 point Helvetica Bold is a different font than a 14 pt Helvetica Light. They are different fonts, but the same typeface.

• jazzyp

Jun 8, 2021 at 6:17 AM

Breaking || Agreement between Jetro Willem’s party and #NUFC. Player will sign for 3 years with an option for a 4th. Willems will collect £35,000 a week including performance based bonuses. #NUFCTakeover

Would be a nice start to tuesday lads if true

• ChicoUSA

Jun 8, 2021 at 7:29 AM

Swlabr @19

Saw your discussion about Dave Grohl and wondering how he switched from Drums (Nirvana) to guitar (Foo Fighters). But he actually started playing guitar at age 12, a number of years before beginning to play drums for a couple of bands leading to his stint with Nirvana. So he is a guitar player first and a drummer second….though excellent at both! And did anyone mention his song writing??? 😉

• ChicoUSA

Jun 8, 2021 at 7:31 AM

• Mund

Jun 8, 2021 at 7:36 AM

This player list is from an agent who works with Newcastle

Choudrey – loan
    William saliba – loan
    Josh king – free
    Ajer – buy (7m)
    Williock – buy (22m)
    Nunes – buy (14m)

If we bring in these lads I’d be very excited

• Mund

Jun 8, 2021 at 7:37 AM

Jazzy, I thought you weren’t into all this rumour stuff? All BS right?

• Mund

Jun 8, 2021 at 7:39 AM

Looking to offload and money made

Darlow 7m
    Lejune 3m
    Muto 2.5m
    Manquillo 2.5m
    Hendrick 1.5m
    Kick back off Adam Armstrong 5m

• Swlabr

Jun 8, 2021 at 7:40 AM

Chico…cheers mate, good info. Thanks for the link.

• ChicoUSA

Jun 8, 2021 at 7:42 AM

Mund @98
    If we managed to only get Willock from that list I would get excited! Any of the others would be frosting on the cake! 😉

• magicmac54

Jun 8, 2021 at 7:45 AM

Cleveleysbob

Enjoy your big day today Sir Bob, no doubt you will be celebrating your birthday in style, dont overindulgence with the dreaded devils buttermilk my friend 😀 😀 😀

• ChicoUSA

Jun 8, 2021 at 7:45 AM

Swlabr
    Cheers! I DO love the Foo Fighters! Now I just need to see them live! Can’t wait!

• Mund

Jun 8, 2021 at 7:46 AM

Chico

I’m same as you I only care about getting Willock back through the door and the rest like you say will be the frosting on the cake.

• magicmac54

Jun 8, 2021 at 7:47 AM

Lesh@92

Thanks for the music link Lesh, i really enjoyed it mate.

• magicmac54

Jun 8, 2021 at 7:48 AM

Ok time to get ready for work, have a great day all Toon fans, keep safe.

• jazzyp

Jun 8, 2021 at 7:49 AM

Mund

No I ain’t mate that’s why I put at the bottom if only true if ya had read it fully

• Munster Mag

Jun 8, 2021 at 7:50 AM

Magic, belated birthday greetings! Did you indulge in the buttermilk of the devil?

• ChicoUSA

Jun 8, 2021 at 7:53 AM

BobbyBee is a good man and was a great blogger! He did suffer from serious back and bone issues and was heroic in the pain he would go through to get to matches at SJP. Epic amount of courage and grit!

But like so many good meaning people he got sucked into the Qanon online cult and whoosh, went all his equilibrium! Q is a punk kid posting out of Japan, aided by an army of other conspiracy theorists. It is all lies! Or has that Storm happened already and Tom Hanks, Bill Gates, Oprah Winfrey and the others been arrested for their crimes? Sorry Bobby….it is all lies mate! Qanon is a LIE!

• Mund

Jun 8, 2021 at 7:54 AM

If only every rumour was true

• DubaiMicky

Jun 8, 2021 at 7:57 AM

Anyone see Gallowgate Shots last night with ben Jacobs.

Worth a watch/listen.

• jazzyp

Jun 8, 2021 at 8:00 AM

Could be same for every Fakeover rumour to.Everyone chooses to believe what they wanna believe which is there right eh

• Ron Knee

Jun 8, 2021 at 8:04 AM

Chico

Apparently, 70% of Republicans don’t accept the election result. That’s scary!

• ChicoUSA

Jun 8, 2021 at 8:07 AM

Ron,
    It IS indeed scary!

BTW: Hope you are well mate!

• Mund

Jun 8, 2021 at 8:08 AM

Taking my own words there 🙂

It’s up to each and every fan to believe what they want to believe

Which doesn’t make them suckers

• ChicoUSA

Jun 8, 2021 at 8:11 AM

Micky@112
    Thanks for the link….am watching it now.

🙂

• Ron Knee

Jun 8, 2021 at 8:14 AM

Thanks, Chico. I got the second jab last week so feeling a bit more confident!

• Mund

Jun 8, 2021 at 8:16 AM

Ghostbusters was released 37 years ago today!

Don’t know about anyone else but when you get to my age and you look about and every where is reminding us how bloody old we are 🙁

Great movie tho can’t wait for the 3rd

• ChicoUSA

Jun 8, 2021 at 8:18 AM

Ron,
    Congratulations on getting the 2nd vaccine dose! In 2-3 weeks you will be invincible! 😉