web analytics

Former Magpie Considers Newcastle A Great Option But Unsure Where Everything Stands

Mike Ashley has apparently approved Steve Bruce’s plan to get some signings through the door early this summer. With the window officially opening on Wednesday, June 9th, hopefully, Newcastle have been making progress on some of their targets.

There have been quite a few of them with a plethora of center-halves and midfielders linked over the past few weeks. There have also been reports that Bruce has been sounding out a few potential targets like Leicester City’s Hamza Choudhury.

Josh King has jumped to the top of Bruce’s wishlist with the recent revelation that he’ll become a free agent next month. The 29-year-old has been linked with Newcastle for years and was considered a top target last summer before Bruce went all-in on Bournemouth teammate Callum Wilson.

Everton have opted against a new deal for the pacy forward which makes him a tantalizing proposition for the Magpies this summer. Newcastle will reportedly meet with King within the next few weeks.

Bruce is not expected to be backed with much of a transfer budget, so free agents and loan signings will be high on the agenda. So we could see one big permanent deal like Celtic’s Kristoffer Ajer mixed with a couple of free agents and loanees. However, it’s vital that they improve the squad and are not brought in to make up the numbers.

One free agent that would likely jump at the chance to sign for Newcastle is former Magpie Jetro Willems. The 27-year-old has given an interview with The Chronicle where he stated the following about a return to Tyneside:

“I had a great time at Newcastle and for me, I want something else. I had a good time in Germany and won some titles and some nice things but I wanted something else.

“Of course Newcastle is a very nice option for me. I was there for a long time – like, half a year – and I was enjoying the moment there. It’s a great option and it’s a club which knows me, I know them. It would be great to join them.

“To be honest I don’t know where everything stands right now. I told my agent – I’m at CAA Base now, a UK agency – I want to go on vacation first and then when I come back I’ll speak about clubs, the clubs he has interested and what is going on.

“I was building up strength in my knee and just recovery and everything – training for half a year so I think it’s now two years since I had a vacation. We both agreed to have a little holiday and re-assess when I come back.”

There have been recent reports that Newcastle are not after another left-back in this window. With Matt Ritchie and Jamal Lewis as left wing-back options, it makes sense to concentrate on other areas of need.

There’s also the issue with Willems not having played for the past 18 months. He’s been fit since December but after turning down an extension with Frankfurt in January, he was not utilized during the second half of last season.

This is what Jetro had to say about his fitness and his frustration with not playing last season:

“It hasn’t been easy all this time but I’ve been ready to play since December.

“I was in the squad (at Eintracht Frankfurt) for half a year – obviously I didn’t get the chance to show myself and to play for some reasons and everyone knows what they are.

“But I’m feeling good, my knee is really good and everything feels great. I’m ready.”

While Newcastle may be comfortable bringing him in based on his previous time with the club, a potential issue arises with the post-Brexit transfer rules on foreign players. Willems may not be granted a work permit due to his lack of appearances.

It could be a long summer for the Dutchman as he hunts for a new club. If Ritchie ends up leaving as he almost did in January, it would be worth trying to get Jetro back to Newcastle.

Who Was Newcastle Player Of The 2020-21 Season?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Ron Knee

Jun 8, 2021 at 8:24 AM

“Ain’t No Stoppin’ Us Now…”

• Munster Mag

Jun 8, 2021 at 8:29 AM

Hopefully not far behind you Ron, second jab for me next week I think.

• Ron Knee

Jun 8, 2021 at 8:33 AM

Munster

I got the second jab a week earlier than scheduled. An 8-week rather than 9-week interval.

• Adamn_92

Jun 8, 2021 at 8:37 AM

Wouldn’t be too disappointed if we got the players on that list, so long as keep our best players too. At least it will have made us stronger in the starting 11 and on the bench. Main transfers I want to see are Ashley and Bruce out still though!

• lesh

Jun 8, 2021 at 8:40 AM

Mund

If the players you’d heard about do arrive, who’s Bruceyboy going to drop?

• Wor B

Jun 8, 2021 at 8:41 AM

Morning folks, I’m out for the day, just called in to say that if you fancy yourself for the trivia fact of the day award DMicky has set a pretty high bar this morning.

🙂

• lochinvar

Jun 8, 2021 at 8:50 AM

Debbie Hewitt is set to become the first female chair of the Football Association after being nominated to replace Greg Clarke.
    Hewitt, who is currently the non-executive chair of Visa Europe, The Restaurant Group plc, BGL Group and White Stuff, will begin the role in January 2022, subject to ratification by the FA Council.

Wish her well.
    Are Visa separate from Barclays ? Otherwise is that not a conflict of interests with the money men’s role in football governance ?

About time that Richard Masters and the EPL are subject to similar winds of change, They will be found out in time.

• jazzyp

Jun 8, 2021 at 8:53 AM

Mund
    Unfortunately I have to run a site and cannot be on here like the lucky buggers who can.
    Happy to chat tonight SUCKER

• Romford mag

Jun 8, 2021 at 8:53 AM

Bob

happy birthday to you for today

Hope it’s a good one 🙂

• Not another deJong

Jun 8, 2021 at 8:54 AM

Jail

I am now imagining that you watch TV using power generated through your own leg work. Perhaps you only watch series with short episodes!!

• Not another deJong

Jun 8, 2021 at 8:58 AM

So which is it? Early transfers or impending takeover. Xmas does not come twice a year.

• Swlabr

Jun 8, 2021 at 8:58 AM

Happy Birthday Bob!!

• Mund

Jun 8, 2021 at 8:59 AM

Jazzy what site is that the Jazzy BJ site?

Expert in sucking ain’t you? 😉

• lesh

Jun 8, 2021 at 9:01 AM

• Adamn_92

Jun 8, 2021 at 9:03 AM

NadJ,

Probably neither and get a pair of socks instead.

• Mund

Jun 8, 2021 at 9:07 AM

Jones has apparently told Bruce that Lobby can go all the way and will work with him closely when they return for preseason to bring it out of him. A new improved contract to be offered

• Mund

Jun 8, 2021 at 9:09 AM

Cant quite believe this lad got such a bad rep before coming here as he has been nothing short of brilliant for the surrounding area

• Bills Son Is Back

Jun 8, 2021 at 9:24 AM

Mund

Interesting posts on Lobby and new signings.

I used to know Tiote’s agent a few years ago and got inside info.

Where do you get yours from?

Not expecting names just general ie., agent, employee etc.

• Mund

Jun 8, 2021 at 9:31 AM

Bills

The lad who feeds me and others info is good friends with a few of the players notably Gayle and Ritchie and has close contacts with a few of the agents around the club.

A top bloke and a genuine lad.

• Optimistic prime

Jun 8, 2021 at 9:59 AM

Jetro Williams.

No no no no no no no no no.

Is the physio room quiet?

Not enough dead wood already, one out one in policy?

Canny lad, half decent player but not on your newly.

Stupid signing, which I fully expect to happen.

• Adamn_92

Jun 8, 2021 at 10:03 AM

‘ #PIF announced today the establishment of two Deputy Governor roles in order to support the Fund’s continued growth and expansion. The Fund has also expanded its Local Holdings Division to become MENA Investments Division.’

I don’t know enough about roles in companies/investment funds to know if this means anything. Anything to read into it or just general run of the mill business hiring/staff shuffling?

• Adamn_92

Jun 8, 2021 at 10:05 AM

Sorry missed a bit, a guy named ‘ Turqi Alnowaise’ is a new deputy governor and head of international investments.

• Mund

Jun 8, 2021 at 10:05 AM

General run of the mill Adam

• Adamn_92

Jun 8, 2021 at 10:08 AM

Fair enough, didn’t know as I guess we’d be considered an international investment, if a new head in that area could mean anything. Probably right with general run of the mill though.

• Optimistic prime

Jun 8, 2021 at 10:08 AM

Working on the roof of a penthouse today.

Shorts on, radio on best view of quayside and it’s el scorchio.

Happy days.

• hibbit

Jun 8, 2021 at 10:09 AM

I’ve been told Jetro Williams is highly unlikely to qualifier for one of the new work permits,
    anyone know if this has any truth to it ??

• Mund

Jun 8, 2021 at 10:11 AM

hibbit, I’d say but I think you skip a lot of my posts as I have already said stuff on Willems

• scott

Jun 8, 2021 at 10:12 AM

Mund

I think you’re source is feeding you a list of targets based on papers & social media rumours!

All that list is the current rumours ie the saliba rumour started yesterday & is now been added to your earlier list!

I’d expect at least one or two targets we hadn’t heard of if he had good inside info!

I’d also be really happy if those players were added to the squad but it looks over ambitious for our glorious leader! 😉
    Regarding lobby I’d love that to be true firstly to see just what lobby has about him & secondly to see just how much bonna can improve players!

• cleveleysbob

Jun 8, 2021 at 10:13 AM

Cheers everyone, waiting for the WiFi headphones to arrive so I can hear my telly tonight whoopee, it’s great getting old 😆

• geordietom

Jun 8, 2021 at 10:19 AM

cleveleysbob

happy borthda mate have a goodun …

• hibbit

Jun 8, 2021 at 10:23 AM

Mund sorry I didn’t realises it was compulsory to read all your posts 😆

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Jun 8, 2021 at 10:33 AM

Can’t say the signing of Saliba and Willems would set the pulse racing massive question marks over both of them

I suppose Saliba wouldn’t take up a squad place because of his age but he would essentially be learning on the job in defence for us not sure he is currently good enough considering how deep Bruce has us defending for lots of games

Willems its just a big big risk that we really don’t need to take

Its just the kind of wasteful purchases I would expect from an Ashley Newcastle though when there are other priority players needed in other positions

• Not another deJong

Jun 8, 2021 at 10:36 AM

Does anyone know who came up with the new post seperation transfer rules and who enforces them?
    Is it the government or the FA and if the latter to what benefit other than so called protecting youth development (like).

• Mund

Jun 8, 2021 at 10:41 AM

Scott

I’ve seen enough evidence from the lad to know he isn’t full of shit. It’s up to each fan whether or not to believe what is said or not.

• Mund

Jun 8, 2021 at 10:42 AM

hibbit

Well if you read them you wouldn’t need to ask questions that’s been answered.

• cleveleysbob

Jun 8, 2021 at 10:47 AM

NadJ, I suppose the FA would have to ensure that the Home Office/Border force rules were followed prior to registration of a player.

I haven’t a clue what the rules will be for young development players, but I assume there is a waiver of sorts to allow some movement.

• scott

Jun 8, 2021 at 10:47 AM

Mund

I wasn’t saying that mate & I honestly thank you for sharing I’m only saying if I wrote a list of the latest transfer targets from social media it would match what you have been told!