web analytics

Former Magpie Considers Newcastle A Great Option But Unsure Where Everything Stands

Mike Ashley has apparently approved Steve Bruce’s plan to get some signings through the door early this summer. With the window officially opening on Wednesday, June 9th, hopefully, Newcastle have been making progress on some of their targets.

There have been quite a few of them with a plethora of center-halves and midfielders linked over the past few weeks. There have also been reports that Bruce has been sounding out a few potential targets like Leicester City’s Hamza Choudhury.

Josh King has jumped to the top of Bruce’s wishlist with the recent revelation that he’ll become a free agent next month. The 29-year-old has been linked with Newcastle for years and was considered a top target last summer before Bruce went all-in on Bournemouth teammate Callum Wilson.

Everton have opted against a new deal for the pacy forward which makes him a tantalizing proposition for the Magpies this summer. Newcastle will reportedly meet with King within the next few weeks.

Bruce is not expected to be backed with much of a transfer budget, so free agents and loan signings will be high on the agenda. So we could see one big permanent deal like Celtic’s Kristoffer Ajer mixed with a couple of free agents and loanees. However, it’s vital that they improve the squad and are not brought in to make up the numbers.

One free agent that would likely jump at the chance to sign for Newcastle is former Magpie Jetro Willems. The 27-year-old has given an interview with The Chronicle where he stated the following about a return to Tyneside:

“I had a great time at Newcastle and for me, I want something else. I had a good time in Germany and won some titles and some nice things but I wanted something else.

“Of course Newcastle is a very nice option for me. I was there for a long time – like, half a year – and I was enjoying the moment there. It’s a great option and it’s a club which knows me, I know them. It would be great to join them.

“To be honest I don’t know where everything stands right now. I told my agent – I’m at CAA Base now, a UK agency – I want to go on vacation first and then when I come back I’ll speak about clubs, the clubs he has interested and what is going on.

“I was building up strength in my knee and just recovery and everything – training for half a year so I think it’s now two years since I had a vacation. We both agreed to have a little holiday and re-assess when I come back.”

There have been recent reports that Newcastle are not after another left-back in this window. With Matt Ritchie and Jamal Lewis as left wing-back options, it makes sense to concentrate on other areas of need.

There’s also the issue with Willems not having played for the past 18 months. He’s been fit since December but after turning down an extension with Frankfurt in January, he was not utilized during the second half of last season.

This is what Jetro had to say about his fitness and his frustration with not playing last season:

“It hasn’t been easy all this time but I’ve been ready to play since December.

“I was in the squad (at Eintracht Frankfurt) for half a year – obviously I didn’t get the chance to show myself and to play for some reasons and everyone knows what they are.

“But I’m feeling good, my knee is really good and everything feels great. I’m ready.”

While Newcastle may be comfortable bringing him in based on his previous time with the club, a potential issue arises with the post-Brexit transfer rules on foreign players. Willems may not be granted a work permit due to his lack of appearances.

It could be a long summer for the Dutchman as he hunts for a new club. If Ritchie ends up leaving as he almost did in January, it would be worth trying to get Jetro back to Newcastle.

Who Was Newcastle Player Of The 2020-21 Season?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Mund

Jun 8, 2021 at 10:51 AM

Scott

Sorry mate wasn’t meant to come across arsey if that did.

I mentioned most of that list a while back before any media got hold of those names.

Got to admit I doubt we will get Nunes but my word if we did and Willock I’d be very relaxed.

• Tyran21

Jun 8, 2021 at 10:55 AM

Can see why people is criticizing Joelinton. He don’t sprint or run much, his finishing is bad, he don’t get into the box enough. I myself feel he could have done more too, since he is a professional. Just offering my 0.2cent on why things have not gone well for him.

Main reason is Steve Bruce never once played or build the team according to Joelinton’s ability. It is like asking a breaststroke swimmer to compete in freestyle or butterfly style, of course it will never end well. You would expect most clubs/managers to build the team around their record signing. Any amount of money is a waste if the manager don’t know how to get the most out of it.

Secondly, I suspect there is practically zero off the ball movement drills in training. You can see in matches, often Miggy or some other players carry the ball from midfield often finds no support upfront. Players running into each other at times. Willock’s off the ball is hard-coded into him since his academy days at Arsenal. Joelinton thrive at feeding balls to attackers. You can see why Jonjo was not productive either. Miggy played too deep to make those runs.

Lastly, I think Bruce said Joelinton is playing with minor injuries all seasons. Might be an excuse I think, most players played through injuries anyway. But I think real reason is player his size if sprint like Wilson, he will end up like Jetro Willems plagued with injuries.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Jun 8, 2021 at 11:05 AM

@Tyran21

You know I think Willock showed up our lack of coaching massively the young lad has come in and suddenly Richie and Murphy are assist machines all because they finally have someone running into the box to get on the end of awesome crosses

I think Joelinton has been better over the last 10 games but wouldn’t surprise me if he has been playing with injuries and is just getting made to play hopefully a good pre season

I think because we also sit so deep and negative it hampers us going forward so many times Almiron for example makes a great run but no one either has the vision to pick him out or just decides to pass it back to our defence must happen about 4 or 5 times a game minimum

• Adamn_92

Jun 8, 2021 at 11:11 AM

Tyran,

I think if Joelinton never quite makes it with us i can come down to awful management his first season here. He came into a brand new league and was asked to play as a solo goal getting striker, which he has never been and that isn’t his game. That already was a huge amount of pressure on his shoulders. I think he also spent the good part of his first season here alone, as I don’t think his partner made her move to Newcastle for some time. So he was in a brand new part of the world alone, with enormous pressure to deliver the goods at a new club, in a position he doesn’t play and a system he’s never played. It was never going to end well. Then of course when goals didn’t come straight away, fans started to turn and the pressure built more and more. Now that he has some of that pressure off thanks to Wilson, can play in a more suited role often not as the main goal getting striker, we’re starting to see some better performances. I hope he continues to show improvements and gets that confidence back. I think that first season done some real damage to his game though.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jun 8, 2021 at 11:16 AM

Joelinton needs to relinquish the number 9 shirt for starters!

• Not another deJong

Jun 8, 2021 at 11:35 AM

IMO the lack of coaching was highlighted at the beginning of the season when in an interview widely reported, Fraser acknowledge the additional work he was doing to try and develop interplay with Joelinton. It appeared to be self motivated, with little involvement of coaches and seperate from the team as a whole. So what exactly is the purpose of training under Bruce?

1 3 4 5