web analytics

A Loan To The Championship Is Likely The Best Path Forward For Young Midfielder

Incoming transfers will grab most of the headlines this summer, but what Steve Bruce decides to do with Matty Longstaff will be one to watch closely. The 21-year-old is entering the final year of the two-year contract he signed last summer which basically only kicked the big decision on his future down the road.

This time around it could take some convincing to get the local lad to commit to Newcastle. He made just 5 appearances last term and was frozen out for the final three months despite giving a good account of himself during a stretch of starts at the turn of the New Year.

Matty’s season got off to a foreboding start due to a pesky thigh injury that kept him out of the reckoning for the first two months. He made his season debut in early November in the 2-0 defeat at Southampton coming on as a second-half substitute.

The midfielder didn’t get a real opportunity until late December and early January where he was handed four starts in five matches. Then just as suddenly as Matty came into the team, he was out of Bruce’s thinking for the remainder of the season with the head coach opting for experience down the stretch.

Ultimately, Bruce’s decision to block a loan move to Watford in January turned out to be a very poor one. It cost Matty a great opportunity to get some first-team football under his belt. With Joe Willock being brought in on loan, Bruce had enough cover in midfield to sanction the move.

However, hindsight is 20/20 as they say and Newcastle have work to do to salvage Longstaff’s future as a Magpie. The best course forward could be to follow the Freddie Woodman example of two years ago.

Woodman was coming off a similarly disappointing campaign after having a loan move blocked by then-manager Rafa Benitez. The goalkeeper had a few starts in the FA Cup but it was first-team football that he was thirsting for.

In 2019, Woodman, as he was entering the final year of his deal, agreed to a year-long extension before heading to Swansea for a season-long loan. That proved to be an outstanding decision as Freddie improved immensely and signed a three year deal last summer before going back to the Liberty Stadium this past season.

Newcastle could work out a similar loan move for Matty and convince him to extend his current contract to 2023. He should have no shortage of Championship clubs willing to bring him in next season. While Watford have been promoted, The Chronicle claims that Derby are looking at Matty as a loan option for next season.

• DrGloom

Jun 8, 2021 at 2:17 PM

Southgates message is hardly inspiring – no wonder I don’t give a monkeys about the England team, despite what he is trying to convince us – there is no passion or pride and the last bunch of managerial appointments have been decidedly Ashley like.
    England to get knocked out as soon as they meet somebody decent as usual

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Jun 8, 2021 at 2:19 PM

Matty needs to go out on loan and be the star man for whoever he goes too

Would quite like to have seen him at Blackburn who play some terrific football reckon he would enjoy it under Mowbray

Would be looking to loan out Anderson as well if possible

• Adamn_92

Jun 8, 2021 at 2:21 PM

LCBP

I’m hoping Anderson might have a really good pre season and force his way into the first team or get far more regular sub appearances. If that’s unlikely though then I agree he needs to go out on loan to a decent championship side.

• Scythe For Bruce

Jun 8, 2021 at 2:22 PM

Skimmed the last couple of days on here and it’s been a real treat.

Happy birthday to Bob and Magic!

People praising Dave Grohl, who is a top, top bloke. Saw the Foos when Supergrass was their support band.

Seeing people recommending that new Sean Bean prison show. Got good reviews too, so I’ll check it oot!

• Scythe For Bruce

Jun 8, 2021 at 2:24 PM

Also saw Kets has become the new Barry Norman and is reviewing movies now. Is there no beginning to his talents?

Only joking Kets, we all love you, ya crazy loon 🙂

• Scythe For Bruce

Jun 8, 2021 at 2:27 PM

(not football related)

Has anyone here watched Mare of Easttown starring Kate Winslet? Highly recommend it. It’s on HBO in the states, not sure where in the UK or elsewhere though. Maybe Sky or Channel 4? Lots of twists (which I love) and superb acting, especially from Winslet. It’s only seven episodes so you can burn through it.

• Scythe For Bruce

Jun 8, 2021 at 2:31 PM

cleveleysbob – I used to live across the road from the dairy on Egerton Road! Used to watch the milk floats going in and out of the front entrance. Ask your missus if she knew John & Celia, Marilyn & Maurice or Dot & Eddie. They all lived next to us 🙂

• Mund

Jun 8, 2021 at 2:35 PM

Scythe

I’ve been deciding whether to watch that or not but with that little review I think I will now.

It’s on Sky Atlantic over on the UK shore

After watching Time I then looked at what else Stephen Graham was in that I haven’t seen and I found that Little Boy Blue which tbf I can’t believe I haven’t seen before, it is truly heartbreaking but a very good watch.

• Scythe For Bruce

Jun 8, 2021 at 2:39 PM

simon376

My memory is awful but you were one of the people on here from Shields, right? I saw you’re about to turn 46 and my eldest lad turns 46 in December. What schools did you go to? You might know my lad.

He went to Stanhope Road and Brinkburn Comprehensive.

• Romford mag

Jun 8, 2021 at 2:40 PM

Mund

Is that about the little Everton lad ?

• Mund

Jun 8, 2021 at 2:40 PM

Rom

Yea Rhys Jones mate. Have you watched it?

• Romford mag

Jun 8, 2021 at 2:41 PM

Mund

Yeah seen it mate 🙂

• Scythe For Bruce

Jun 8, 2021 at 2:41 PM

Mund – definitely check it out. It’s gripping. It’s a murder mystery that keeps you guessing and you keep thinking you’ve got it sussed and then it throws a big twist at you and you have to rethink everything again.

It was dark though so follow it up with a comedy or something. I had to catch up on the new Alan Partridge episodes on the iPlayer to wash my pallet out!

• Romford mag

Jun 8, 2021 at 2:42 PM

Well worth a watch

• Mund

Jun 8, 2021 at 2:43 PM

Scythe

I’m like you mate love twists and turns so it sounds right up my street. Need something new so guess that’s the one. Cheers

• Mund

Jun 8, 2021 at 2:43 PM

Rom

Very good mate even tho it’s heartbreaking

• Just a fan

Jun 8, 2021 at 2:48 PM

Romford.
    To be fair he has done quite a bit of running recently.
    I also saw him head a ball and tackle a guy lol.

• Romford mag

Jun 8, 2021 at 2:49 PM

Jaf

I must have missed that 😉

• Scythe For Bruce

Jun 8, 2021 at 2:49 PM

DrGloom – I’m not a Southgate fan (I think he should have stayed at U21 level management) but I quite liked his message that Mund linked to. It was relatable.

I’d like to see someone who knows how to harness our exciting youngsters and get the most out of our attacking options at international level, especially when the defensive side of our team is lacking.

Pep could do the trick but he’d probably choke in the final and put Declan Rice up front and stick Foden in goal, so maybe not him.

• Romford mag

Jun 8, 2021 at 2:50 PM

Note to self , don’t blink when watching our games 😀

• Just a fan

Jun 8, 2021 at 2:51 PM

Hearting carltoon and Essex what is the matter with me.

• Romford mag

Jun 8, 2021 at 2:54 PM

I can feel the Benny hill chase theme song coming 😀

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Jun 8, 2021 at 2:56 PM

@Adam

The problem seems to be that Bruce will rarely put young players in I mean Matty himself only got games in matches Bruce would expect to get beat its why hes played against Chelsea, Liverpool, Man Utd etc it was a risk free game for him but in games like say West Brom where Anderson or Matty could have made a difference he didn’t even have them on the bench and used Hendrick instead……

The best most forward thinking managers especially the ones with a high pressing energy to their teams play will always play youngsters as they offer energy and also play without fear

• Romford mag

Jun 8, 2021 at 2:56 PM

Scene not theme !

• Adamn_92

Jun 8, 2021 at 3:01 PM

LCBP

Bruce has an awful tendency to lean towards more experienced players, even if they aren’t playing particularly well or the game doesn’t suit them. Hence the Hendrick picks over youngsters. It’s a real shame as Anderson and Matty could have had lots of minutes last season and we’ll never know if they’d have made an impact and we’d be looking at two confident youngsters who’ve improved. Instead we have two youngsters with potential stagnating as they weren’t allowed to go on loan and saw the absolute minimum game time. If Bruce doesn’t plan to introduce them into the team regularly, they need to go on loan and be allowed to progress their development.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Jun 8, 2021 at 3:01 PM

I would be quite interested on Graeme Jones thoughts on the squad and what players ideally he would play if he was in full charge of the team

• Adamn_92

Jun 8, 2021 at 3:02 PM

Still have that small hope that Anderson can potentially force his way into first team plans though by making himself impossible to ignore pre season.

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 8, 2021 at 3:04 PM

Happy Borthda Bob.

• DrGloom

Jun 8, 2021 at 3:05 PM

Scythe – At least we would get to a final before we choked 😀

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 8, 2021 at 3:05 PM

It’s funny that despite Jones management record I reckon 90% of fans would like to see Bruce sacked and replaced by him.

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 8, 2021 at 3:06 PM

Well I best get out of bed 😳

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 8, 2021 at 3:07 PM

Scythe,
    Myself and Simon went to Mortimer.

• Just a fan

Jun 8, 2021 at 3:09 PM

Boots Randolph a distinguished saxophonist said he played with many great artists including recording with elvis said he was most famous for that bloody benny hill theme Yakaty sax.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Jun 8, 2021 at 3:10 PM

@Jail

Yeah they probably would although I don’t think its fair just to judge Jones on his Luton job! Lots of managers fail at their first couple of jobs I suppose its whether he has learned properly from the experience

Bruce has been a manager for over 20 odd years and still makes the same mistakes every season……. 🙂

• magscar

Jun 8, 2021 at 3:11 PM

Scythe

yeah i can give a big thumbs up to Mare of Easttown good watch and reasonable twists. It is 7 episodes but last one was a double iIthink?

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 8, 2021 at 3:16 PM

Please no spoilers on Mare of Easton, wor lass is waiting for me to get home to watch it 😳

• Scythe For Bruce

Jun 8, 2021 at 3:17 PM

magscar – I was so engrossed it could have been a longer episode? Not sure. Glad someone else has seen it at least 🙂

• captainmarvel

Jun 8, 2021 at 3:17 PM

Best wishes too clever Bob..

• Scythe For Bruce

Jun 8, 2021 at 3:19 PM

Jail – Mortimer Road for you and Simon, duly noted. I’m desperately trying to log all of this in me noggin so I don’t end up repeating the same questions to the same people!

Is that the closest Comp to Westoe? Seems a bit of a trek.

1 2 3 10