web analytics

A Loan To The Championship Is Likely The Best Path Forward For Young Midfielder

Incoming transfers will grab most of the headlines this summer, but what Steve Bruce decides to do with Matty Longstaff will be one to watch closely. The 21-year-old is entering the final year of the two-year contract he signed last summer which basically only kicked the big decision on his future down the road.

This time around it could take some convincing to get the local lad to commit to Newcastle. He made just 5 appearances last term and was frozen out for the final three months despite giving a good account of himself during a stretch of starts at the turn of the New Year.

Matty’s season got off to a foreboding start due to a pesky thigh injury that kept him out of the reckoning for the first two months. He made his season debut in early November in the 2-0 defeat at Southampton coming on as a second-half substitute.

The midfielder didn’t get a real opportunity until late December and early January where he was handed four starts in five matches. Then just as suddenly as Matty came into the team, he was out of Bruce’s thinking for the remainder of the season with the head coach opting for experience down the stretch.

Ultimately, Bruce’s decision to block a loan move to Watford in January turned out to be a very poor one. It cost Matty a great opportunity to get some first-team football under his belt. With Joe Willock being brought in on loan, Bruce had enough cover in midfield to sanction the move.

However, hindsight is 20/20 as they say and Newcastle have work to do to salvage Longstaff’s future as a Magpie. The best course forward could be to follow the Freddie Woodman example of two years ago.

Woodman was coming off a similarly disappointing campaign after having a loan move blocked by then-manager Rafa Benitez. The goalkeeper had a few starts in the FA Cup but it was first-team football that he was thirsting for.

In 2019, Woodman, as he was entering the final year of his deal, agreed to a year-long extension before heading to Swansea for a season-long loan. That proved to be an outstanding decision as Freddie improved immensely and signed a three year deal last summer before going back to the Liberty Stadium this past season.

Newcastle could work out a similar loan move for Matty and convince him to extend his current contract to 2023. He should have no shortage of Championship clubs willing to bring him in next season. While Watford have been promoted, The Chronicle claims that Derby are looking at Matty as a loan option for next season.

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 9, 2021 at 8:59 AM

Wor B,
    Unfortunately I’m the driver 😕

• Wor B

Jun 9, 2021 at 9:10 AM

“Sales of halogen lightbulbs are to be banned in the UK from September, with fluorescent lights to follow, under government climate change plans.”

Should keep Jail busy until retirement – changing all those fittings!!! 😆

• Mund

Jun 9, 2021 at 9:11 AM

Wor

About bloody time like

• Mund

Jun 9, 2021 at 9:12 AM

A lot of places have swapped for LED but still plenty out there rocking the old shit

• Rotonda heights

Jun 9, 2021 at 9:21 AM

Horrible rumours of carroll getting another deal. Not a good sign for any potential takeover. Lets be honest Bruce’s 3 free signings: carroll, hendrick and fraser have been absolutely disastrous. 2 sicknotes / perma crocks and at 60 I am better than Hendrick.

• Wor B

Jun 9, 2021 at 9:24 AM

Mund

Changed my kitchen lighting to day-glow led’s a couple of years ago, had to wear sunglasses when I was making supper. The odd Airbus 300 still mistakes my place for NCL airport. 😀

• Adamn_92

Jun 9, 2021 at 9:25 AM

Let’s just hope the Gayle and Carroll contract rumours are just that, rumours. If they turn out to be true then it really doesn’t show any ambition for next season. Imagine those 2 get new deals and we don’t sign Willock, why would ASM want to stay after publicly stating we need to show ambition or he won’t stick around.

• Mund

Jun 9, 2021 at 9:27 AM

Wor 😆

Yea it is a huge difference and it’s funny when I’ve been on business centres changing them over as they all say the same “bloody hell I’ll need some shades” lol

So much better in every way.

• DaveD1000

Jun 9, 2021 at 9:27 AM

am liking the Matty to Rooney thing.

• Mund

Jun 9, 2021 at 9:29 AM

RH

Tbf mate to me it speaks more about a takeover than not.

It’s bare minimum Ashley FC and even more so now with even the tighter purse strings with him trying to sell the club.

I don’t agree with extending either of there contracts and hope there is truth with bringing King here as it’s just as cheap an option and IMO is better than Gayle and Carroll put together.

• martoon

Jun 9, 2021 at 9:32 AM

Jail @350 – Cheers – it’s not too bad now as I’ve perfected a spreadsheet that does most of the hard work! It’s still a bit of a ball ache searching through posts and transferring data to spreadsheet – I can’t find a way to automate that! I’m also still to find a way to may the columns align in WordPress.

• geordietom

Jun 9, 2021 at 9:33 AM

If anyone wants to know the ending of ” Mare of Easttown ” , let me know and i’ll put it on here for all to see …

• DubaiMicky

Jun 9, 2021 at 9:35 AM

Adamn_92 #286 thanks for the shout out for Mr. Black coffee liquor, I see on their site a Negroni and an Espresso Martini too – my go to shorts.

Cheers.

• Mund

Jun 9, 2021 at 9:39 AM

To think Giroud hardly features for his club but is 6 goals away from beating Henry’s record for France.

• Bills Son Is Back

Jun 9, 2021 at 9:41 AM

I would have thought giving Gayle a deal would only be to get a fee instead of him leaving on a free.

He could be given a % of the transfer fee for accepting that arrangement.

I’d hoped AC might have an Indian summer to his career here but that boat has sailed. He could a great signing for a Champs club.

• Bills Son Is Back

Jun 9, 2021 at 9:42 AM

Mund

Giroud is one of those bog CF’s who got better with age and can still do it.

Great skill, great in the air and a cracking finisher.

• Bills Son Is Back

Jun 9, 2021 at 9:43 AM

big CF’s 🙂 🙂 🙂

• Mund

Jun 9, 2021 at 9:45 AM

Bills

That’s exactly what I got told with regards to Gayle and the new contract as it’s just to get a fee for him.

• Mund

Jun 9, 2021 at 9:47 AM

Lobby was praising Carroll the other week with how good of an influence he is around the dressing room and that he helped Sean a lot through a difficult time. If that’s one of the reasons why they want to keep him around? Then I don’t know why they don’t just take him on as a coach and keep a space free in the squad.

• Nicky the ball tosser

Jun 9, 2021 at 9:58 AM

To be fair a big part of the problem with Gayle and Carroll has been lack of service, and that needs to be addressed no matter who we signed to understudy Wilson.

But better strikers work chances, and score more often, so we do need to upgrade in the engine room and up top to push on up the league.

I don’t object at all to Carroll as the 5th choice striker if we are going to be playing a front two, although much of that is perhaps sentimental, but even taking that into consideration, it is totally pointless unless you are getting plenty of balls swung over from wide positions, when he would occasionally feature.

Gayle I just hope is moved on.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Jun 9, 2021 at 10:09 AM

@Nicky

Yeah its a weird one the current formation we play with Richie and Murphy putting in quality crosses with Willock and Wilson sniffing out chances would seem that Carroll would get some joy out of that combination of players

Some of the crosses that have come in recently that Joelinton for example has just fluffed you would fancy Carroll to go bang with a header into a goal or at least an assist for someone else

• Solano slice

Jun 9, 2021 at 10:09 AM

Mund@368
    You a sparky?

What happens when we give Gayle a 3 ye deal on 30k a week and he could be sitting in reserves cause we have new strikers that are better or cause he is not a PL striker.
    Doesn’t make sense to give him a new deal in hope of selling him. Doesn’t make sense but then again this is Ashley’s NUFC.

Any more news or rumours of Rafa coming back mund to add fuel to the bookies changing odds as Adam said I think

• geordietom

Jun 9, 2021 at 10:09 AM

Or Gayle may not sign the new contract and look for a massive signing on fee from which ever club comes in for him …

• Mund

Jun 9, 2021 at 10:13 AM

Solano

I am mate.

I’m with you I don’t agree with the moves but like you say it’s Ashley FC so nothing is a surprise to me anymore.

With regards to Rafa it’s the same situation as I put up before and what I hear is that he is sat waiting for the takeover then he will be our new boss. Hopefully it happens mate.

• Adamn_92

Jun 9, 2021 at 10:17 AM

Dubai

No worries mate, easily the best coffee liquor I’ve ever tried. Is just as nice neat as it is in a negroni or espresso martini. If you end up getting some let me know what you make of it 🙂

• DubaiMicky

Jun 9, 2021 at 10:18 AM

• geordietom

Jun 9, 2021 at 10:20 AM

Adam …

is that your Pit Bull ?

• Adamn_92

Jun 9, 2021 at 10:22 AM

Solano

With Rafa, it was just one betting site I saw that had shortened his odds but was also mentioned that others had done the same. My guess would be because of all the rumours and talk of a settlement outside of court, possibly in the next few weeks, they’ve shortened his odds. Sometimes the bookies know things we don’t and the odds are a good scale to go by, but more often than not there isn’t much to it. We’ll have to wait and see what happens in the next few weeks.

• Adamn_92

Jun 9, 2021 at 10:23 AM

Geordietom

No mate, just some strangers dog at a pub that came over to say hi. I know it looks a bit like I’m strangling it too, but I assure you I’m not and I’m just giving it a fuss 🙂

• Not another deJong

Jun 9, 2021 at 10:25 AM

Wrong type of ‘light bulb’ moment lads.

• martoon

Jun 9, 2021 at 10:25 AM

Not football related but as you’ve been talking about it:
    In use LEDs undergo a process known as ageing which means that over time their brightness reduces (we’re talking thousands of hours) and advanced drivers have algorithms to slowly increase the drive current over time to compensate for this (anti-ageing algorithms). However cheap and chatty LED drivers found in bulbs don’t have this feature so what they tend to do is run at a higher current so that over time they will not become too dim.
    So this is why when you first replace LED bulbs they are really bright but over time with use they don’t seem so bad.

• Mund

Jun 9, 2021 at 10:29 AM

NADJ

You plant bulbs in the garden mate 😉

• Just a fan

Jun 9, 2021 at 10:32 AM

I got a mention off wor b. What an honour.
    Better than being mentioned in dispatches.

• Not another deJong

Jun 9, 2021 at 10:39 AM

Does anyone know what rule(s) the ‘big 6’ can be charged with breaking?
    I have not seen it mentioned anywhere and whilst they deserve the book throwing at them, I wonder if there is actually any rule being broken.

• Just a fan

Jun 9, 2021 at 10:40 AM

I know I’m a know nowt butI’m afraid I agree with Cyprus re willock
    A bit like wijnaldem apart from his goals he did nothing for me.
    Wijnaldem I meant.

• Just a fan

Jun 9, 2021 at 10:46 AM

I think giroud would walk into our team.

• Adamn_92

Jun 9, 2021 at 10:48 AM

Just a fan

Giroud could pencil roll into our team

• anxer

Jun 9, 2021 at 10:57 AM

Maybe it was debunked subsequently, but I read that Gayle had already signed a new 3 year deal back in March?

For Carrol it’s only one year at £30k, and £1.5m is chicken feed in the world of premier league recruitment. It would probably cost more for an agents fee to replace him.

Time will tell, if these moves are true, whether it’s down to maintaining the status quo before our takeover (hopefully), or just the usual machinations of our parsimonious portly penarse of an owner (probably).

1 8 9 10