web analytics

A Loan To The Championship Is Likely The Best Path Forward For Young Midfielder

Incoming transfers will grab most of the headlines this summer, but what Steve Bruce decides to do with Matty Longstaff will be one to watch closely. The 21-year-old is entering the final year of the two-year contract he signed last summer which basically only kicked the big decision on his future down the road.

This time around it could take some convincing to get the local lad to commit to Newcastle. He made just 5 appearances last term and was frozen out for the final three months despite giving a good account of himself during a stretch of starts at the turn of the New Year.

Matty’s season got off to a foreboding start due to a pesky thigh injury that kept him out of the reckoning for the first two months. He made his season debut in early November in the 2-0 defeat at Southampton coming on as a second-half substitute.

The midfielder didn’t get a real opportunity until late December and early January where he was handed four starts in five matches. Then just as suddenly as Matty came into the team, he was out of Bruce’s thinking for the remainder of the season with the head coach opting for experience down the stretch.

Ultimately, Bruce’s decision to block a loan move to Watford in January turned out to be a very poor one. It cost Matty a great opportunity to get some first-team football under his belt. With Joe Willock being brought in on loan, Bruce had enough cover in midfield to sanction the move.

However, hindsight is 20/20 as they say and Newcastle have work to do to salvage Longstaff’s future as a Magpie. The best course forward could be to follow the Freddie Woodman example of two years ago.

Woodman was coming off a similarly disappointing campaign after having a loan move blocked by then-manager Rafa Benitez. The goalkeeper had a few starts in the FA Cup but it was first-team football that he was thirsting for.

In 2019, Woodman, as he was entering the final year of his deal, agreed to a year-long extension before heading to Swansea for a season-long loan. That proved to be an outstanding decision as Freddie improved immensely and signed a three year deal last summer before going back to the Liberty Stadium this past season.

Newcastle could work out a similar loan move for Matty and convince him to extend his current contract to 2023. He should have no shortage of Championship clubs willing to bring him in next season. While Watford have been promoted, The Chronicle claims that Derby are looking at Matty as a loan option for next season.

Jun 8, 2021 at 6:09 PM

WW

It was said to the dcms that they wanted a meeting as they were close to a conclusion.

This meeting apparently had no notes taken whatsoever if you believe that.

I guess we can just say each to there own with thoughts on this

Jun 8, 2021 at 6:11 PM

WW

I don’t think you are having a go mate just giving you’re take on things.

Jun 8, 2021 at 6:12 PM

OP

😯 that’s crazy prices and tbh they’ve always been the same hilti. Great thinking with the radio tho to save the pennies.

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 8, 2021 at 6:14 PM

No Mund,
    I’ve got no more to say on the matter, it’s already been said.

• WWSBRD

Jun 8, 2021 at 6:18 PM

Mund
    True enough that meeting took place on the basis a decision could be close and had pif agreed that the PL was to conduct the test as they explained they would, with the MBS set as a director, then the decision would of been close imo or had the buyers agreed to arbitration then again a decision would of been close but they picked neither option

Ultimately the buyers walked away claiming Covid as a reason

And that’s good mate I just know its easy to take things the wrong way in written form haha

Jun 8, 2021 at 6:26 PM

Good Jail now go back to the drawing board

Jun 8, 2021 at 6:26 PM

WW

We certainly see things differently and that’s ok as we both can agree we just want what’s best for this football club

• WWSBRD

Jun 8, 2021 at 6:33 PM

True mate I do want what’s best for the club though I don’t know if I see the Saudis as that personally

I do think there is a tenancy at the moment to see the Saudis as some sort of saviour at the moment when sadly they aren’t. I suppose that’s sports washing in action though

Jun 8, 2021 at 6:37 PM

WW

If any fan has any objections on moral grounds nobody can argue as that’s a personal feeling and everyone’s choice.

For me I don’t agree with the things that have happened but nor do I agree with plenty of other countries including our own.

I’m a fan first and foremost and I just want what’s best for this club and IMO the Staveley led consortium with the wealth and power of the Saudis would rocket us into an era we could only dream of and feel that there could be no other deal as good.

Jun 8, 2021 at 6:43 PM

Tbh that’s a fib as any deal with Staveley and the Reubens would suit me fine

• WWSBRD

Jun 8, 2021 at 6:46 PM

Mund
    Fair enough mate I am the same but I would have concerns over a lot of other countries buying us too

Am not against them buying us but nor am I entirely for them buying us. I’d much rather the consortium bought us without them if I am honest

Their money could take us to a new era but so could a sensible owner willing to invest for me

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 8, 2021 at 6:47 PM

Mund,
    If I was to go back to the drawing board it would mean going back to where you falsely claimed that beIN didn’t give two hoots about piracy until the takeover which has been shown not to be the case.

• Spellcheck

Jun 8, 2021 at 6:48 PM

Is their a Blog fantasy League?

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 8, 2021 at 6:50 PM

Abramovich is as big a gangster as Al Capone, Bernado Provanzano and Don Vito Corleone from Andolini yet I’d still have him as our owner.

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 8, 2021 at 6:51 PM

Spellcheck,
    I haven’t got the details but Ancient C put them on this afternoon, scroll back a thread or two and look for Ancient C there’s 26 of us in it.

Jun 8, 2021 at 6:55 PM

Jail

Please try harder 🙂

• Spellcheck

Jun 8, 2021 at 6:56 PM

Thanks Jail

Jun 8, 2021 at 6:56 PM

beIN used the piracy as a tool to stop the Saudis joining the football world

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 8, 2021 at 6:56 PM

Mund,
    No need to 🙂

• Adamn_92

Jun 8, 2021 at 6:57 PM

WWSBRD

I think every fan in an ideal world would like owners who have a decent bank balance, no underlying issues (ethically, criminally or just get ally frowned upon) and are passionate for football and the club. Who can make logical and sensible hiring of staff, up to date good training facilities, communicate and work with fans and invest sensibly in the team, using what the club generates and and steadily building us up to a well run oiled machine. Sadly those owners are very few and far between. The Saudis aren’t exactly squeaky clean but at this moment in time they are our best hope of ridding Ashley and having a club that can compete again. You never know, if they owned us they may even be forced to clean up their act to be accepted more in the western world as the spotlight will always be on them.

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 8, 2021 at 6:57 PM

Yes they did Mund and let’s hope that when the arbitration hopefully goes our way they won’t be able to use it any longer.

• Adamn_92

Jun 8, 2021 at 6:58 PM

*or just generally

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 8, 2021 at 6:59 PM

Adam_92,
    There’s a strong argument that says them being in the spotlight will help them clean up their act.

• WWSBRD

Jun 8, 2021 at 6:59 PM

JfA
    True enough mate there are awful people owning football clubs all over. I don’t deny that but I can’t claim it doesn’t make me uneasy

I don’t want the next hit squad showing up in a Newcastle branded plane. In an ideal world there wouldn’t be a next hit squad of course

• Adamn_92

Jun 8, 2021 at 7:02 PM

If we were offered a ‘wait and see’ option with PIF or, an option of a new owner with none of the baggage PIF have, only 5% of PIF’s wealth, but guaranteed to pass the O+D tests, I think almost if not all of us would choose the latter in a heartbeat. But sadly we don’t have that option.

• Adamn_92

Jun 8, 2021 at 7:03 PM

Jail

I like to think that could happen, if they want to make more inroads in the western world, the same issues will always get raised. So it could force them to change things and clean up their act to achieve their vision.

• WLtoon

Jun 8, 2021 at 7:05 PM

If we win a trophy for the first time in over 50 years does anyone really think the Saudi`s being our owners will make a jot of difference?
    This lot are not squeaky clean at all, as fans already know, but either is the Chelsea owner ,but you don`t hear the Blues fans whining on about what a bad boy he is.
    Sport and politics in anyone else`s world are totally different things, unless of course you support Newcastle United.

Jun 8, 2021 at 7:06 PM

Jail

For someone who has tried the last few pages to discredit me but has come up with outlandish theories of the goings on around our club but speaks like it’s fact, well it makes me laugh 😀

• WWSBRD

Jun 8, 2021 at 7:06 PM

Adam
    All true mate all sadly very true. Though I don’t see them buying us as helping them improve mate they are under a massive spotlight already. Their purpose for buying us is to improve their image

If they buy us and all those good things happen, and admittedly they could well do, that will be great but it will also do exactly what they want it to which is to sports wash their image

Not saying I am right either maybe buying us will spark them into being better I don’t know all I can say is my personal feeling at the moment is uneasy

• WWSBRD

Jun 8, 2021 at 7:14 PM

WLtoon
    That’s exactly why sports washing is so popular and those people buy football clubs because you are right. Saudis buy us, we win a cup and every Newcastle fan will defend whatever they do

• Adamn_92

Jun 8, 2021 at 7:16 PM

WWSBRD

We can only hope it goes the positive way and it’s the start of them cleaning their act up, not the negative way of sports washing. It’s anyone’s guess which way it will go so we’ll just all have to cross fingers, not break any mirrors, step on any cracks etc 🙂

Jun 8, 2021 at 7:17 PM

WW

I don’t think fans will stick up for the Saudis in general but they will stick up for there owners.

I can’t imagine any fan sticking up for there human rights record or other such things.

• WWSBRD

Jun 8, 2021 at 7:19 PM

Adam
    We can but hope mate, trust me I’d rather have your view of our future if the takeover goes through than mine haha

• WWSBRD

Jun 8, 2021 at 7:24 PM

Mund
    Fair actually defend it is a bit strong maybe ignore it is more factual. There will be plenty of Saudi flags flying though won’t there haha

• WLtoon

Jun 8, 2021 at 7:26 PM

WW,

I wouldn`t defend what they do, i just wouldn`t make an issue of it in the first place.

Jun 8, 2021 at 7:27 PM

WW

Defo flags and Geordie Sheiks walking the streets 😆

• carltoon

Jun 8, 2021 at 7:29 PM

No one made an issue of the ManC. Takeover, as it was done and dusted with played bought, before it was even announced. Then there was nothing that could be done. Why did that not happen in our takeover?

• carltoon

Jun 8, 2021 at 7:30 PM

Is their human rights any better?

• WLtoon

Jun 8, 2021 at 7:30 PM

You can guarantee that if this takeover does go through i wouldn`t mind betting at least a 3rd of posters will change their avatar that has an arab, an camel, or both, proudly attached to their name.

• WWSBRD

Jun 8, 2021 at 7:32 PM

WLtoon
    Aye sorry mate I shouldn’t of used the term defend that’s my bad and that’s fair enough mate. I suppose that is rather part of my conflict about them buying us