web analytics

A Loan To The Championship Is Likely The Best Path Forward For Young Midfielder

Incoming transfers will grab most of the headlines this summer, but what Steve Bruce decides to do with Matty Longstaff will be one to watch closely. The 21-year-old is entering the final year of the two-year contract he signed last summer which basically only kicked the big decision on his future down the road.

This time around it could take some convincing to get the local lad to commit to Newcastle. He made just 5 appearances last term and was frozen out for the final three months despite giving a good account of himself during a stretch of starts at the turn of the New Year.

Matty’s season got off to a foreboding start due to a pesky thigh injury that kept him out of the reckoning for the first two months. He made his season debut in early November in the 2-0 defeat at Southampton coming on as a second-half substitute.

The midfielder didn’t get a real opportunity until late December and early January where he was handed four starts in five matches. Then just as suddenly as Matty came into the team, he was out of Bruce’s thinking for the remainder of the season with the head coach opting for experience down the stretch.

Ultimately, Bruce’s decision to block a loan move to Watford in January turned out to be a very poor one. It cost Matty a great opportunity to get some first-team football under his belt. With Joe Willock being brought in on loan, Bruce had enough cover in midfield to sanction the move.

However, hindsight is 20/20 as they say and Newcastle have work to do to salvage Longstaff’s future as a Magpie. The best course forward could be to follow the Freddie Woodman example of two years ago.

Woodman was coming off a similarly disappointing campaign after having a loan move blocked by then-manager Rafa Benitez. The goalkeeper had a few starts in the FA Cup but it was first-team football that he was thirsting for.

In 2019, Woodman, as he was entering the final year of his deal, agreed to a year-long extension before heading to Swansea for a season-long loan. That proved to be an outstanding decision as Freddie improved immensely and signed a three year deal last summer before going back to the Liberty Stadium this past season.

Newcastle could work out a similar loan move for Matty and convince him to extend his current contract to 2023. He should have no shortage of Championship clubs willing to bring him in next season. While Watford have been promoted, The Chronicle claims that Derby are looking at Matty as a loan option for next season.

• WLtoon

Jun 8, 2021 at 11:10 PM

Mund,

You seem he only one who has a clue lad, everyone else doesn`t have a scooby doo as you so frequently put it.
    Figure that one out.

• cleveleysbob

Jun 8, 2021 at 11:10 PM

Adam I drink it with Elderflower Tonic, curtesy of Fever Tree, and it’s quite pleasant 😉

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 8, 2021 at 11:11 PM

Ashingtoon,
    We’re on episode five, she’s waiting for me to get home tomorrow 😮

• carltoon

Jun 8, 2021 at 11:11 PM

JAF, not really interested in the Euros. Now if Shelvey was playing 😉

• carltoon

Jun 8, 2021 at 11:12 PM

Eh! Bob, i drink Elderflower tonic! But without the Gin.

• Adamn_92

Jun 8, 2021 at 11:13 PM

Cleveleys, maybe I’ll give that a go. I need a gin that doesn’t really taste like gin haha think I’ve mentioned it in here before, for yourself or anyone else who might enjoy coffee flavoured alcohol, I highly recommend trying Mr Black coffee liquor 🙂

• WLtoon

Jun 8, 2021 at 11:17 PM

Anyone considering try gin with a twist, i recommend Gin and dry ginger, very moreish indeed, makes a nice change from beer.

• Ashingtoon62

Jun 8, 2021 at 11:17 PM

The thing that I can’t get my head around regarding Gin and Gin drinkers,is the fact that Gin tastes absolutely minging.Sooo they think I know! what can we mix it with to make it taste better? Thet then decide on Tonic, which tastes even worse than the Gin??
    Why not dandelion and burdock? You know it makes sense.

• Reilly

Jun 8, 2021 at 11:19 PM

Why would the club offer AC a new contract,when he has been causing problems in the dressing room!

• Mund

Jun 8, 2021 at 11:20 PM

WL

Don’t come at me telling me how it is when you don’t actually have a clue. You understand what I mean when I say that? You don’t know my life and what goes on in it, just like I don’t know yours and don’t even try to attempt to tell you how it is.

You with me?

• lochinvar

Jun 8, 2021 at 11:20 PM

Always said we were a happy bunch out in the Wannies.

You had to have food served to get a drink so some veg just about covers it.

A 25-year-old man has been arrested after a cannabis farm was found in a Northumberland pub.
    Police found the cannabis farm inside the Railway Hotel pub in Rothbury.

• cleveleysbob

Jun 8, 2021 at 11:21 PM

Carltoon, I hope this is correct – the PL (god bless their cotton socks) are contesting CAT’s right to judge them. I believe they are trying to say that the PL is a consortium of 20 equal members (haha) and anti competition law as being applied by Ashley’s case doesn’t cover them.

By Friday they have to have all their arguments submitted to CAT who will then decide if the PL are right or wrong. If they agree with the PL, Ashley’s case is chucked out of CAT and we only have arbitration left.

If they decide against the PL (and importantly I think this is Munds point) CAT will begin looking at the cases and give a date for a “public” hearing. A lot of people believe the PL will bottle out at this point and settle rather than let their dirty linen be aired in public.

None of the above has anything to do with arbitration, which is to decide separation of PIF from KSA and nothing else and will be in July.

I test my case and am going to sleep now cause I’m struggling to see the keyboard, it’s all a bit blurred. Night night 🙂

• cleveleysbob

Jun 8, 2021 at 11:23 PM

Rest!

• Ashingtoon62

Jun 8, 2021 at 11:24 PM

Do you think she’s had a sneaky preview Jail?
    I’m waiting until the weekend to watch the Sean bean thingy,in between the footy of course.
    Iv’e even toyed with the idea of supporting a different country.Soothgate gets on me t!ts,even more so after his squad selections.

• WLtoon

Jun 8, 2021 at 11:24 PM

Mund,

What you talking about?

I don`t give a second thought about our life, not interested, just about the club and it`s future, you with me ?

• cleveleysbob

Jun 8, 2021 at 11:25 PM

Ash, that’s the magic to get 2 minging tastes to work together to create something that isn’t haha, I’m off.

• Mund

Jun 8, 2021 at 11:25 PM

Ffs man

No WL I’m not lad as you came at me not the other way round and you weren’t questioning anything you were telling me how it was.

Take it easy fella

• Ashingtoon62

Jun 8, 2021 at 11:29 PM

They used to do a canny beef pie in the Railway..
    Or was it the Newcastle Arms,now the Newcastle house?

• WLtoon

Jun 8, 2021 at 11:29 PM

Well that`s me off to kip, got a job to do, night and stay safe all

• carltoon

Jun 8, 2021 at 11:45 PM

Bob, yes i think I understand, so they’ve got to come up with the goods to prove, that Ashley can’t take them to court. But if they can’t prove this will the case go ahead, or will they back down and Ashleys won. OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT.

• Mund

Jun 8, 2021 at 11:49 PM

Martyn Ziegler
    @martynziegler
    NEW: Premier League close to financial settlement with rebel Super League clubs that is set to cost the Big Six clubs millions of pounds – story with
    @Lawton_Times

• Adamn_92

Jun 8, 2021 at 11:54 PM

See that Benitez’s odds for manager have gotten much better. Think the bookies (or some at least) now have him as the favourite.

• Munster Mag

Jun 8, 2021 at 11:58 PM

I think proving PIF and Saudi separation will be bloody difficult. Over to you pet!

• Adamn_92

Jun 9, 2021 at 12:02 AM

Munster, I think it’s definitely going to be tricky. I don’t think MBS being chairman, speaking on their behalf and outlining their 2030 vision and their next steps, like he did back in January, helps their case to be honest haha don’t know enough about ownership or the law to know if that matters or not. But from the outside it can definitely look like he’s very much the runner of PIF

• Romford mag

Jun 9, 2021 at 12:31 AM

• carltoon

Jun 9, 2021 at 12:36 AM

Keep on running, ya better, i knew i would catch you. Love that song though, goodnight Rom. I’ll let you off because I like ya.

• Nicky the ball tosser

Jun 9, 2021 at 12:39 AM

See there’s now a suggestion that Andy Carroll has been offered another year, which is okay by me, but surely we wouldn’t go in to another campaign with both Carroll and Gayle as the understudies to Wilson. At least one of them has to be upgraded surely, even under this owner.

• Romford mag

Jun 9, 2021 at 12:40 AM

Carltoon

Phew thank gawd for that ! Me little legs couldn’t take much more 😉

Good night take care and be safe 🙂

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jun 9, 2021 at 12:45 AM

That’s good news on AC imo.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jun 9, 2021 at 12:49 AM

Swap Gayle for Pereiera and that’s a good start for next season and it solves the AC/Gayle problem.

Watch Sorensen change from an ugly duckling to a handsome swan and we have our back up striker as well.

As Kets would say Simples! 🙂

• Romford mag

Jun 9, 2021 at 12:50 AM

While back in the real world 😀

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jun 9, 2021 at 12:51 AM

And I’m drinking Ghost Ship 0.5% beer so I aint p!ssed! 🙂

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jun 9, 2021 at 12:53 AM

Rom

There’s no such thing, we’re are all Butterflies dreaming that we are Toon supporters.

• Romford mag

Jun 9, 2021 at 12:54 AM

Bill

Dreaming or having nightmares 😉

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jun 9, 2021 at 12:54 AM

Grammatically challenged Butterflies at that! 🙂

• Romford mag

Jun 9, 2021 at 12:56 AM

I thought we were all magpies looking for something shiny 🙂

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jun 9, 2021 at 12:58 AM

Rom
    Well my butterfly is dreaming that the club is owned by wealthy Arabs and Senor Benitez has just completed the signing of Mbappe, Messi and Ronaldo to go with the top class defenders he’s also purchased.

What about yours?

• Romford mag

Jun 9, 2021 at 1:00 AM

Bill

You don’t want to know mate !
    Like I said , nightmares 😳

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jun 9, 2021 at 1:00 AM

Butterflies, Magpies they are all the same in the dream world!

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jun 9, 2021 at 1:02 AM

Two magpies have become regular visitors to my garden, I’m taking that as a good omen!