web analytics

Newcastle Reportedly Interested In Championship Midfielder

The transfer window opened today as Newcastle continue to get linked with new targets on almost a daily basis. It’s hard to separate the top targets from those further down the list as so much depends on how other clubs react to our reported interest.

The Chronicle is citing various reports that Swansea captain Matt Grimes has been added to Newcastle’s watchlist. The midfielder is also on the radar of Southampton, who look to be close to sealing a deal for another reported Newcastle target in left-back Romain Perraud.

Grimes is an interesting target for Newcastle. He has loads of experience at the Championship level but hardly any in the Premier League. He made a few appearances when Swansea were in the top flight as an upcoming prospect.

Grimes will turn 26 next month and is in his prime years. He’s been with Swansea since 2015 after joining from Exeter City for around £2m. He initially had loan spells with Blackburn, Leeds, and Northampton before solidifying his place in Swansea’s first team.

The former England U21 international is a complete midfielder who can get forward while fulfilling his defensive duties. He has captained Swansea over the past two seasons and currently has 157 appearances including 50 this past season.

The midfielder is entering the final year of the contract he signed in 2018 when Brighton boss Graham Potter was with Swansea. However, the reports have his price tag at £8m which would seem to be a non-starter for Newcastle.

Steve Bruce has limited funds to work with this summer and will have to wheel and deal in order to strengthen his squad. Any permanent transfers he makes will need to be bargains as he simply cannot afford to waste any money.

Newcastle will hit the free agent and loan markets heavily to offset the lack of funds. Bruce should have plenty of targets identified with Matt Grimes likely a little further down the list at the moment.

There is still news trickling out weekly about the Saudi-backed takeover. Once again, an outlet has claimed that Mike Ashley and all members of the Saudi-backed consortium are confident the takeover will happen this summer.

The latest to make that claim is Football Insider who add that the consortium has Rafa Benitez lined up to replace Bruce should it go through. If it does, and that’s a big ‘if’, the Spaniard will be backed big time with transfer funds.

That is all wishful thinking at the moment as it has been for nearly a year now. The likelihood of this takeover getting resurrected should become clearer over the next few months with Ashley’s anti-competition claim against the Premier League scheduled for Friday.

As it stands, the transfer window is now open and Steve Bruce has limited funds to work with. So we’ll see what transpires over the next few months on both the takeover and transfer fronts.

• carltoon

Jun 9, 2021 at 1:42 PM

Ha ha, it’s was what used to happen if you got overpaid, I’ll pay it off a pound a week.

• Adamn_92

Jun 9, 2021 at 1:43 PM

Mund

Also agree about the league, negotiating a punishment with the top 6 doesn’t help their case at all. Just shows that they clearly can be influenced by them. I really hope the other 14 clubs lay into them at the meeting tomorrow.

Jun 9, 2021 at 1:43 PM

Adam

There certainly isn’t tbh after a while on there you get to see which ones are full of shit and which others are little more credible. Every ITK who has got something right has also got something wrong.

That’s why I always say with a pinch of salt

Jun 9, 2021 at 1:45 PM

big breaking news the big six take a provi loan out to pay their fines 😀

Jun 9, 2021 at 1:47 PM

I think we might have to look to the waters not the skies.

Reuben yacht left Gibraltar for Nice but a little detour to a royal yacht off the coast of Gibraltar.

Prince Abdulaziz yacht I am led to believe

Jun 9, 2021 at 1:48 PM

ADAM …

your avatar where did you get your jeggings from , asking for a friend …

Jun 9, 2021 at 1:48 PM

Hide here is the provy lady 😆 oh the days

• Adamn_92

Jun 9, 2021 at 1:49 PM

Mund

I don’t mean necessarily itk or credible sources rumours, i mean general theories and rumours as i’ve seen a fair few on there. It’s always who you choose to believe and how seriously you take it I suppose. With all the rumours at the moment i’m sure there’ll be plenty of people trying to get their 2 minutes of fame by putting fake news on there trying to get a bite too.

Jun 9, 2021 at 1:49 PM

My bad they didn’t visit the yacht but the yachts were there together before the Reubens headed to Nice. Don’t actually know if there was any contact between the gentleman

• Adamn_92

Jun 9, 2021 at 1:50 PM

geordietom

Google is your friend, you can find a pair easily enough. If you want to go super tight though make sure you remember to shove a sock or two down there 🙂

Jun 9, 2021 at 1:51 PM

Adam

Years ago I’d believe anything but after spending as much time on there and seeing it for what it is and adapting to it myself it’s easy to see the rumours and my god like you say it’s endless and each day brings more.

Jun 9, 2021 at 1:52 PM

Reubens yacht is at Nice now

Jun 9, 2021 at 1:53 PM

Mund …

you just reminded me about when i was younger ,

my mam was a widow at the age of 32 had 4 kids to bring up , when there was knock on the door she used to say to me here’s 10 bob if its peter pay him if its paul tell him next week , always me being the oldest lad 😀

Jun 9, 2021 at 1:55 PM

Tom 😆 ah the days mate the days!

I was fuming when me Mam went out and didn’t leave any 50p’s 😉

Jun 9, 2021 at 1:55 PM

ADAM sorry i dont use google and i wouldnt be seen deed in a pair of jeggings :D.

ADAM did you notice in your avatar pic theres a feather on your shoulder ?

Jun 9, 2021 at 1:56 PM

MUND for the leccy or gas metre 😀

Jun 9, 2021 at 1:57 PM

The leccy ofc mate we wrapped in the covers 😆

Loved the care free days mate

Youth is wasted on the young

Jun 9, 2021 at 1:59 PM

When Steve lad puts it into layman’s terms it sounds even worse 😯

steve
    @oldheatonian
    2m
    Man Utd matchday revenue in 5 full seasons preceeding covid totalled 529.4m.
    With 133 games played that equates to just short of £4m per game.
    Their penalty negotiated with the
    @premierleague
    Board for the #ESL farce is less than the income from one matchday at Old Trafford

Jun 9, 2021 at 1:59 PM

Mund …

didnt bother me mate i was out all the time with me mates playing down at the gut in shields , jumping across the boats times were different mate …

• Adamn_92

Jun 9, 2021 at 2:02 PM

geordietom

You should try skinny jeans instead then, like myself. Analysing my avatar a lot, must have grabbed your attention so i’ll take that as a compliment 😉

Mund

Aye, twitter is full of misinformation so definitely helps when you can spot bs at a quick glance. You know my stance on rumours and itk’s etc etc just thought i’d check it out as they seem to have ramped up a bit recently. Thought i’d check out where they’re coming from haha

Jun 9, 2021 at 2:05 PM

Tom

You couldn’t keep me in mate and even when me Mam grounded me she would kick me out after 15 mins 😆

I was a proper lad mate who climbed everything and some things you wouldn’t believe 😉 I haven’t even told my kids as I don’t want any of them to think I’ll do that. I had no fear and still don’t, well only with my kids and tbh the day I had my first was the day I felt real fear for the first time.

My son is carbon copy of me and a has already has surgery on his head for climbing

Jun 9, 2021 at 2:06 PM

Adam …

only took one look at it ,

i know of a few who have scrutinized it with a fine tooth comb …

• Adamn_92

Jun 9, 2021 at 2:07 PM

geordietom

Well that doesn’t sound sinister in the slightest….

Jun 9, 2021 at 2:08 PM

Mund some of the things me and my mates got up to i wouldn’t dream of doing now ,

we climbed to the top of the plaza at tynemouth mate , would i do it know no way would i …

Jun 9, 2021 at 2:10 PM

sinister , adam having a laugh mate …

Jun 9, 2021 at 2:12 PM

Tom

I’ve still agile enough to do it but I’ll stick to the space nests (things in parks) instead of flood light towers and tall buildings 😆

Jun 9, 2021 at 2:13 PM

Adam

It’s starting to get more and more frequent as we are coming up to certain dates again and that’s when they all come out with there say which is normally WUM’s talking BS

That Nick Fury on you’re arm?

Jun 9, 2021 at 2:13 PM

Mund …

same here mate not so far to fall mate 😀

• Adamn_92

Jun 9, 2021 at 2:16 PM

geordietom, i am too don’t worry haha

Mund, I don’t know which one you’re referring to but i’ve got both Edgar Allan Poe on my lower arm and then Clint Eastwood near my elbow.

Jun 9, 2021 at 2:17 PM

Ah Mr Poe eh nice and makes more sense than Nick Fury

Jun 9, 2021 at 2:22 PM

Aa went to Blaydon Races, ’twas on the ninth of Joon,
    Eiteen hundred an’ sixty-two, on a summer’s efternoon;
    Aa tyuk the ‘bus frae Balmbra’s, an’ she wis heavy laden,
    Away we went ‘lang Collin’wood Street, that’s on the road to Blaydon.

• lochinvar

Jun 9, 2021 at 2:26 PM

R.I.P. Halogen light bulbs

A shining example to us all.
    This is not goodbye, just lights out.

I’ll switch off now before this gets out of hand.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jun 9, 2021 at 2:27 PM

Novo

Elliot Anderson and Jack Young for starters.

Jun 9, 2021 at 2:28 PM

Loch

They plant bulbs in gardens mate 😉 they are called lamps

Jun 9, 2021 at 2:33 PM

MUND …

would they be Paraffin Lamps 😀

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jun 9, 2021 at 2:35 PM

£20m between them, paaah! Probably come out of their petty cash.

Jun 9, 2021 at 2:36 PM

sing along lads …

Jun 9, 2021 at 2:36 PM

Coming from that Engee who has contradicted himself in the past says the PL believe that the takeover will get approved through arbitration and therefore want to get it done internally

• carltoon

Jun 9, 2021 at 2:48 PM

So are all the Euro games on normal Tele, if so I might take an interest,