web analytics

Report – Championship Club Win Race For Young Striker Bruce Wanted In Early

The Magpies have been on the trail of Wigan striker Kyle Joseph for months. It was back in early April that Newcastle’s interest in the young prospect was first revealed.

The 19-year-old is out of contract this summer and at the time, Newcastle were trying to convince him that his future was on Tyneside. We were even willing to shell out a little extra in compensation to seal the deal.

Newcastle were consistently said to be leading the race until last week, when it emerged that Swansea were in talks for the Scotland U21 international. Now it looks like the youngster will head to the Liberty Stadium next month after his contract expires.

Football Insider is reporting that Swansea have won the race for Jospeh and will pay £1m in compensation to Wigan. They have also reached an agreement on personal terms.

The size of the compensation fee may have played a role in Newcastle missing out on the striker. In April, it was reported Newcastle were offering £850k.

It also appears that Swansea will give Joseph first-team football this upcoming season while Newcastle had him pegged as one for the future. With the Academy being gutted last week, this news, if accurate, is a blow as the cupboard is not exactly brimming with attacking prospects.

Both Celtic and Rangers were also in for Joseph, who scored 5 goals in 14 League One appearances before a serious back injury sidelined him in late January. He was identified, along with Kristoffer Ajer, as a player to get in early this summer. Now it appears that we’ve missed out on the promising youngster.

• Mund

Jun 10, 2021 at 2:36 PM

Jail

I’m sure I already said that

I suggest doing a read over now and then

• Just a fan

Jun 10, 2021 at 2:40 PM

If you get Bombay sapphire make sure you get the full 48 percent proof. Don’t know why but it makes a big difference in the taste.

Jun 10, 2021 at 2:40 PM

We all know that MBS virtually controls everything in Saudi Arabia. End of, he’s the boss.

However, his official role in PIF is Chairman.

In the vast majority of businesses the Chairman is a non executive, honorary role and the companies are run by their executive boards with the CEO having final say.

Normally, that would be enough to prove separation if we had to, BUT in this case, the entire board of directors of PIF are ministers within the Saudi government, with only the CEO being independent. For the life of me I cannot see how you get round that one.

• Davas28

Jun 10, 2021 at 2:43 PM

Is the separation only about piracy ? Is it not also because MBS doesn’t want to be named and have to go through the ‘indignity’ of being tested and so the Saudis would walk away

• Adamn_92

Jun 10, 2021 at 2:45 PM

“PIF was established in 1971 by Royal Decree, by decree from the King, and it’s always been under Saudi government authority.

“It was part of the Ministry of Finance until 2015, and then, one of the first things that Mohammed bin Salman did when he became prominent in Saudi Arabia was transfer authority for PIF to a committee that he heads in the Saudi government called the Council of Economic and Development Affairs, which is like a super committee that he is now chair of.

“He’s now Chairman of the Board of Directors.

“Now of the eight directors, I think six members are from the Saudi government, part of the cabinet, and then one is the current governor, who was a close advisor to Mohammed bin Salman in 2015.

And then the other is part of the Royal Court, which is sort of MBS’s inner circle – so there isn’t really any separation there.”

That’s from Middle East expert Dr Kristian Coates Ulrichsen from an article in the Chronicle back in April.

As said previous though, I think they can prove legally that they are separate if they have the paperwork necessary. Even if everyone deep down knows they aren’t separate. It’s like if I had all the necessary documents and paperwork that said i’m in fact Harrison Ford. Everyone knows i’m not, but legally I am because I have the paperwork that says I am. I think PIF can prove they are separate from MBS and the state, but everyone really knows that they aren’t.

Jun 10, 2021 at 2:45 PM

Lesh, I know that the whole thing is nuanced and laced with problematic regional politics, I was just taking a simpletons view to stimulate discussion and try to make our position look more positive than I believe it to be 😉

• Adamn_92

Jun 10, 2021 at 2:46 PM

Even the PIF website is a .gov one haha

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 10, 2021 at 2:46 PM

Mund,
    Yesterday you said I didn’t have a great record with people that share stuff. Absolute fallacy. However I don’t have a great record with people that talk horlicks.

• coming home

Jun 10, 2021 at 2:47 PM

Skybet now have Rafa at 6/1 for Everton and 6/4 for us

Eddie Howe 7/4

Jun 10, 2021 at 2:47 PM

Adam, I love that, it’s as clear as mud 😀

I hope their case is stronger than that. 😆

• Romford mag

Jun 10, 2021 at 2:48 PM

I can’t take much more 🙁

• Adamn_92

Jun 10, 2021 at 2:49 PM

Bob

Imagine if they don’t win the case because the other team just say ‘your website is a literally a government website’ and that’s it, done. hahaha

• Mund

Jun 10, 2021 at 2:49 PM

Here we go again 🙄

You are so predictable nowadays Jail

Just leave it eh

For the second day in a row

• Mund

Jun 10, 2021 at 2:51 PM

In you’re words Jail

I can’t ever forgive Dubai Micky for leading me down that path

Forgive? This is a blog were nobody knows anyone and you taking about forgiveness?

Do you think Micky is crying on his cornflakes every day because you will never forgive him?

• Optimistic prime

Jun 10, 2021 at 2:51 PM

Am I missing something?

Whys everyone so excited?

I understand what’s been said on the piracy issue but I don’t understand why everyone is expecting to hear good news soon.

Not throwing cold water on anything just last cpl days revelations aren’t much different to many we’ve seem before.

Jun 10, 2021 at 2:52 PM

Davas, you could have a point there. Middle Eastern politics is a wonderful murky world that is incredibly difficult to get your head round unless you’ve spent a lot of time out there doing business etc.

And yes, that old problem “saving face” is massive in all aspects, similar to parts of the Far East.

Europeans often struggle with the nuances involved, we tend to much more straightforward.

• Adamn_92

Jun 10, 2021 at 2:54 PM

Davas, I think piracy was probably the main issue but I don’t know if it was ever made public what the reasons were. I think maybe it was said that they also felt insulted and were confused that they wanted the state named as a director, as that’s unheard of or something. It was so long ago now, could be getting that mixed up so happy for someone to correct me if i’m wrong.

Jun 10, 2021 at 2:55 PM

Precisely OP. Fully agree. Just tossing around a few theories to see what comes out 😉

You still on WL’s yacht? I had to get off to go and buy Gin 🙂

• Mister Tuff

Jun 10, 2021 at 2:55 PM

I always had the view that it may be the case that MBS is in overall charge or that he is strongly suspected of being in charge.

But there is a world of difference to thinking or believing something compared to proving it.

Things need evidence to prove not what some hack/idiot/PL official or any Tom Dick or Harry might want to believe.

PL and FA (I suppose FIFA and UEFA) are all a law unto themselves. Needs to change to allow transparency from top to bottom.

It was a disgrace that the rest of the world FIFA and UEFA people allowed corruption and it was left to the Americans through the FBI to bring some of these crooks to book.
    Disgraceful when you think we allowed corruption and it was the Yanks who started bringing the crooks to book. A junior football nation.

The folk in FIFA and UEFA now are probably dodgy types as well. No rooting out of the bad apples.

• Mister Tuff

Jun 10, 2021 at 3:01 PM

OP – best tool I ever owned and still have – was using it yesterday to cut stone and metal is a Black and Decker 9″ Angle grinder.

Bought it about 35 years ago – changed the brushes a couple of times and it is still going strong – used it to cut all the stone for a bungalow.

• Davas28

Jun 10, 2021 at 3:03 PM

cleveleysbob/Adam. Yeah I thought I’d read that somewhere but I also can’t remember where but it kind of makes sense to me. Why would a ruler feel comfortable being tested for suitability by the EPL and (possibly) the indignity of failing the test by them.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Jun 10, 2021 at 3:05 PM

Judging by the Everton fans comments Rafa would be very daft to take that job!!!

He would get no time to get the fans onside and I think if he didn’t start well it would be impossible

He’s said a lot of things about them when he was Liverpool manager that some of them just can’t get over similar to Bruce and us although he keeps saying stuff about the fanbase every week whereas Rafa probably wouldn’t do that mind you……

• DaveD1000

Jun 10, 2021 at 3:09 PM

Bombay Sapphire way too smooth for me I prefer rough as badger’s London Gin with lemonade. Top Tip Iceland do bags of sliced Lime and Lemon for about a quid a bag. Saves a lot of waste and double as ice cubes.

• lesh

Jun 10, 2021 at 3:17 PM

Bettysbollocks

Ah, I was just thinking about your whereabouts of late and thought you might have come down with something.

But, fear not as it would seem that someone slipped a little Konyage into your morning eye-opener.

• bettyswallocks

Jun 10, 2021 at 3:18 PM

Mister Tuff……… @99 Totally in agreement. How are your health issues by the way. You seem to be back up and at em.

Jun 10, 2021 at 3:20 PM

Dr Ed Harrison’s Gin Blog, has a nice ring to it. 🙂

• Assassins Inc

Jun 10, 2021 at 3:23 PM

Day 2191, been stuck on this island now, the takeover seems to have been here forever, nothing much has changed, seen Ashley plane fly over head, he doesn’t see the help sign, his yacht came close to the island today but didn’t stop.
    I’m stuck here forever, no saving in sight, I may die on this island.

• NY Mag

Jun 10, 2021 at 3:23 PM

Bob,

Lol….. but remember to wear your life jacket if you’re on the yacht drinking gin 😀

• Adamn_92

Jun 10, 2021 at 3:26 PM

SkySports now reporting Rafa is a highly unlikely option for Everton.

Jun 10, 2021 at 3:27 PM

Assassins, haha, funny that but the real number of days is 5,114 approx number of days of Ashley’s ownership, and please don’t let us us die on that Island!! 🙂

• lesh

Jun 10, 2021 at 3:27 PM

Cleveleysbob

Did I read that you’d stepped ashore to buy some gin and WL Toon’s yacht slipped its moorings?

Tsk, such ungentlemanly behaviour by whoever’s at the helm.

Jun 10, 2021 at 3:30 PM

Hi NY, early for you?

Don’t need life jacket, got personal lifeguards, all leggy, 3 in total (one of each) and all wearing red swimsuits. Oh just woke up, dreaming about Baywatch again, must stop. 😉

Jun 10, 2021 at 3:32 PM

Doesn’t matter Lesh, took the lifeguards with me, so just hanging around beach, near Colman’s, he’ll be back. 😉

Jun 10, 2021 at 3:35 PM

I did used to enjoy a Singapore Sling back in the day, now that had a bite to it, drank a couple in Raffles, kinda got to, tourism 101.

I was working, but had a weekend off.

Jun 10, 2021 at 3:37 PM

Stayed at the Hilton on Orchard Road, rooftop pool, not the best hotel but pretty good. The Sheraton nearby had a great Japanese Restaurant, but that night is another story. 🙂

• NY Mag

Jun 10, 2021 at 3:38 PM

Bob,

Was up early for a meeting, just perusing the blog over brekky.

I was also partial to a few Singapore slings in Raffles 🙂

Jun 10, 2021 at 3:39 PM

Looks like I’m on my own, just rambling, must be an age thing. Coffee I think. Back shortly.

• NY Mag

Jun 10, 2021 at 3:40 PM

Bob,

The Sheraton on Scotts road is my go to hotel nowadays – beautiful lounge on the top floor (the free bar helps 🙂 )

• hibbit

Jun 10, 2021 at 3:42 PM

this is distilled by some friends of ours and its beautiful, so easy to drink and very very moreish

• Mister Tuff

Jun 10, 2021 at 3:56 PM

Betty – cheers – things are fine with me. NHS has done me proud. How about yourself.

Blog at the moment – even though there is probably nowt to talk about Toon wise is pretty poor -with a poor standard of poster. I suspect that they will organise a “Housey Housey” session shortly along with discussion the latest sewing anf knitting patterns. Good news will change all that of course.

Pretty purile stuff on here at the moment “-

first poster – hiya bud hows things with you ya missus, ya kids ya granny what aboot ya pet budgie is it a Toon supporter.

second poster – hiya fella love you and all ya family and pets. Nice post fella/bud no aggro here bud.

What about those knitting patterns – were you too drunk to post

Aye A was sloshed bud/fella etc etc.