web analytics

Report – Championship Club Win Race For Young Striker Bruce Wanted In Early

The Magpies have been on the trail of Wigan striker Kyle Joseph for months. It was back in early April that Newcastle’s interest in the young prospect was first revealed.

The 19-year-old is out of contract this summer and at the time, Newcastle were trying to convince him that his future was on Tyneside. We were even willing to shell out a little extra in compensation to seal the deal.

Newcastle were consistently said to be leading the race until last week, when it emerged that Swansea were in talks for the Scotland U21 international. Now it looks like the youngster will head to the Liberty Stadium next month after his contract expires.

Football Insider is reporting that Swansea have won the race for Jospeh and will pay £1m in compensation to Wigan. They have also reached an agreement on personal terms.

The size of the compensation fee may have played a role in Newcastle missing out on the striker. In April, it was reported Newcastle were offering £850k.

It also appears that Swansea will give Joseph first-team football this upcoming season while Newcastle had him pegged as one for the future. With the Academy being gutted last week, this news, if accurate, is a blow as the cupboard is not exactly brimming with attacking prospects.

Both Celtic and Rangers were also in for Joseph, who scored 5 goals in 14 League One appearances before a serious back injury sidelined him in late January. He was identified, along with Kristoffer Ajer, as a player to get in early this summer. Now it appears that we’ve missed out on the promising youngster.

• cleveleysbob

Jun 10, 2021 at 3:57 PM

NY haven’t been to Singapore for about 30 years or more, so I’m sure it’s changed dramatically, I seem to remember a big apartment store at the end of Orchard Road that had the owners mausoleum on the top of it “Chang’s”? Don’t remember exactly.

I loved it though, visited 3 x times in fairly quick succession, then my boss decided to send me Stateside instead of Far East, so that stopped some of my more enjoyable long haul jobs.

Did enjoy doing big chunks of Eastern US and Canada though. Draw a line from San Antonio, up through St Louis to Minneapolis and then Winnipeg and that’s as far West as I ever got, but covered large chunks of ground East of that line.

• cleveleysbob

Jun 10, 2021 at 4:08 PM

NB, it was Singapore I visited 3 times NOT the guys mausoleum 😉

• NY Mag

Jun 10, 2021 at 4:08 PM

Bob,

I’ve been going there for a little over 20 years now and it’s changed massively in that time.

You maybe thinking of tangs – on the corner of orchard and scotts road. The Marriott (tang plaza) is built on top of that now (used to stay there but it got a bit pricey so I switched to the Sheraton)

• cleveleysbob

Jun 10, 2021 at 4:11 PM

Thanks NY, that sounds right, I was close 🙂

• anxer

Jun 10, 2021 at 4:12 PM

Sloe news day Mr Tuff. Perhaps there’s a football related debate you’d like to start?

• Mund

Jun 10, 2021 at 4:15 PM

anxer, shame on you for not having this blog lively enough 😉

• anxer

Jun 10, 2021 at 4:17 PM

Was just my weak pun of the day entry Mund, what with all the gin talk lol

• Adamn_92

Jun 10, 2021 at 4:17 PM

Could attempt to make the blog more lively…

I bet my dad could beat up your dads 🙂

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 10, 2021 at 4:18 PM

Mund,
    Why on earth would you suggest that I might think Dubai Micky might cry in to his cornflakes 😕

• cleveleysbob

Jun 10, 2021 at 4:19 PM

NY, we should chat sometime about how I got an invite to “the sons of little Italy man of the year award night” hosted by a lady whose Surname was Gambino.

It seems some of my business connections in Brooklyn got closer to the wrong people than I first imagined. 😀

• bettyswallocks

Jun 10, 2021 at 4:20 PM

Mister Tuff…….. Glad to hear you’re fighting back. I’m ok thanks , things are quiet work wise due to travel restrictions so having to just sit around in the sun eating and drinking etc. is taking it’s toll. Managing to struggle through though.

Hoping like the rest of of us that the planets, EPL , The Saudis and our wonderful owner all miraculously align to give us a club worthy of our continued loyal support.

• NY Mag

Jun 10, 2021 at 4:21 PM

Adam,

Dads – what are you suggesting?

I’ll set me pet budgie on you 😀 😀 😀

Anyway…..back to work for me

• Mund

Jun 10, 2021 at 4:21 PM

Jail

It getting silly now just leave it please

• NY Mag

Jun 10, 2021 at 4:23 PM

Bob,

I’d be really interested in that (my daughter lives in Brooklyn)

Anyway, another time – I really do have to get some work done

• Adamn_92

Jun 10, 2021 at 4:23 PM

If Rafa does happen to go to Everton, or takes up a job somewhere else, who do you think we would bring in if the takeover happens and who would you like to see brought in? I think we’d go for Spalletti (based on what immobile said last year) or try to get Conte if he was still available. Who i’d like us to get is Marcelino García Toral the current Athletic Bilbao manager. Done wonders previously at Valencia and turned Bilbao into a decent outfit when he took over midway through the season. Sounds like he is very tactics heavy and meticulous even down to the diets of the players.

• Adamn_92

Jun 10, 2021 at 4:24 PM

NY

A budgie? Christ this escalated quickly, I concede you win!

• toon22

Jun 10, 2021 at 4:25 PM

So were gettin sold tomorrow ??

Lets see

• cleveleysbob

Jun 10, 2021 at 4:26 PM

Mr T’s blog contribution today,

Slag off FIFA and UEFA.

Slag off American football (soccer) on an American owned site.

Praise his Black and Decker.

Slag off the rest of the blog for not contributing during his admitted “quiet news time”

Wow, what an incisive, well thought out discussion on NUFC events of the day. 😀

• anxer

Jun 10, 2021 at 4:27 PM

If there are no big names available, I know he’s relatively inexperienced, but I wouldn’t mind giving Gerrard a crack at managing us. He’s done a great job at Rangers.

• Mund

Jun 10, 2021 at 4:27 PM

😆

• Mund

Jun 10, 2021 at 4:28 PM

anxer

I’d take Gerrard but I’d like someone better post takeover

• lesh

Jun 10, 2021 at 4:28 PM

hibbit

That Mason’s gin you plugged sounds perfect for me.

A plain, dry gin with minimal botanics beats the pants off some of the arty-pharty-craft brews that seem to have become popular.

• Adamn_92

Jun 10, 2021 at 4:29 PM

Anxer

Not a bad shout and would be interesting to see how he’d do at a higher level. Hell of a step up managing from the Scottish League up to the Premier League but not impossible. I mean look at Sir Alex Ferguson haha

• Mund

Jun 10, 2021 at 4:29 PM

Adam

My Dad is harder than you’re Dad!

He lifts shops or is a shoplifter one of the two 😉

• lesh

Jun 10, 2021 at 4:35 PM

Adamn_92

Have you lost your mind?

Bruceyboy’s done a remarkable job under extreme conditions.

Now if can be successful with limited resources, who knows how far he could take us with the full backing of owners who are prepared to invest?

If it’s not broke, don’t fix it.

• Adamn_92

Jun 10, 2021 at 4:35 PM

To be honest I don’t think my dad is in fighting shape, I don’t know why I put him in this position. I’m a terrible son, so close to fathers day too!

• DubaiMicky

Jun 10, 2021 at 4:36 PM

Cornflakes? My breakfast consists of either Bloody Marys or Ham/Cheese/Tomato toasties – often both!

Cornflakes indeed, who’d have thunked it!

• Adamn_92

Jun 10, 2021 at 4:37 PM

Lesh

Good point, we could finally have that taste of European football again and see Bruce huffing on the sidelines of the biggest stadiums. Ahmed Elmohamady top of the Champions League assist rankings. The feel good factor will well and truly be back.

• Romford mag

Jun 10, 2021 at 4:44 PM

Bob

Well said mate 🙂

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 10, 2021 at 4:51 PM

DMicky,
    Exactly!!

• lesh

Jun 10, 2021 at 4:52 PM

Adamn_92

Now all we’ve got to do to make sure Bruceboy stays beyond takeover is mount a campaign to counter his critics.

• lesh

Jun 10, 2021 at 4:57 PM

Dubai

It’s good to see you’re on a sound dietry regime and start your day with a nourishing intake including plenty vitamin C.

Follow the golden rule and never eat on an empty stomach!

• cleveleysbob

Jun 10, 2021 at 4:58 PM

Cheers Rom, thought a bit of balance was in order 😉

• cleveleysbob

Jun 10, 2021 at 5:02 PM

Lesh, get ya gob round a bottle of that “Lakes” Gin I mentioned earlier, it’s decent stuff.

That one of Hibbits looks good too and I’m sure I saw a “Northumberland or Northumbrian” Gin somewhere too. Looks like the North is battling back against London Gin haha.

• hibbit

Jun 10, 2021 at 5:02 PM

have we had any updates/press release from the PL AGM yet ??

• Adamn_92

Jun 10, 2021 at 5:08 PM

Hibbit, nothing I’ve seen yet. Don’t know what time it starts or how long for to be fair. Interestingly skysports put:
    “The ongoing legal dispute with Newcastle, over a proposed takeover, is not expected to be discussed.”

So if any fan was hoping it may be discussed, there’s strong chances it doesn’t get a mention.

• Mister Tuff

Jun 10, 2021 at 5:12 PM

Slagging off American football – soccer.

Wow how is that the case – please supply how you worked that out Mr Magoo.

• Mister Tuff

Jun 10, 2021 at 5:13 PM

Whoops forgot to add “Bud” fella.

• WLtoon

Jun 10, 2021 at 5:22 PM

Just a word of advice to all fellow bloggers, if you are at the wheel in the helm please stay off the drink, especially the Gin, i could of sworn i`ve left two lads behind on an island somewhere, poor buggers.
    Fret not, i will be back to pick you up once i`ve sobered up.

• lesh

Jun 10, 2021 at 5:31 PM

Cleveleys

The Lakes gin you mentioned’s picked up a lot of top reviews and at ~ £30 a 70cl bottle your a man with expensive tastes.

Amazon’s out of stock and I wonder whether the pots are being used to make sanitiser, a healthy market with near guranteed sales.

😉