web analytics

Everton Gauge Benitez Interest As Report In Turkey Claims Fatih Terim Offered Position

Late yesterday, there were multiple reports linking Rafa Benitez to the open Everton job. That, of course, would be a shocking appointment considering Benitez’s close ties to Liverpool, where he managed from 2004 to 2010.

There has never been a manager to take the reins of both clubs. Benitez continues to live on Merseyside and has openly admitted his desire to return to the Premier League. However, Everton seems like the one Premier League club that Rafa would rule out managing.

The claim is that Everton owner Farhad Moshiri has reached out to Benitez, and other available managers, to gauge his interest in the position. Moshiri was recently forced into a managerial search when Carlo Ancelotti abruptly left to return to Real Madrid.

His top targets were ex-Wolves boss Nuno Espirito Santo and West Ham manager David Moyes. Everton moved on from Espirito Santo, who was also in talks with Crystal Palace before those broke down earlier this week.

David Moyes has a storied history at Goodison Park and has worked wonders with West Ham. However, Moshiri will only speak to Moyes if granted permission by the West Ham board. So Benitez is now part of a second tier of candidates that includes Lille’s Christoph Galtier and Brighton’s Graham Potter.

Sport Witness has cited a report from Turkish outlet Fotospor that Everton have made an offer to Galatasaray manager Fatih Terim, who has also managed the Turkish National team on three separate occasions.

As far as Benitez agreeing to join Everton, I’ll believe it when I see it. The logistics would be perfect for the Spaniard but the emotional turmoil seems too great. The problem that Rafa could face is the jobs are beginning to dry up with Wolves recently appointing Bruno Lage as their next manager.

• jane

Jun 10, 2021 at 7:56 PM

maybe 1 but it isn’t on the BBC transfer page

• Romford mag

Jun 10, 2021 at 7:56 PM

Bill

Doubt it mate ! 🙂

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jun 10, 2021 at 7:58 PM

OLG

Mentioning the Premier league hierarchy and Mensa in the same sentence is a total oxymoron! 🙂

• Carson80

Jun 10, 2021 at 7:59 PM

GWH sounds like a top night, I won’t tell the wife I’m going to be sharing Stella with you.
    😉

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jun 10, 2021 at 8:00 PM

Who’s Stella?

• Mund

Jun 10, 2021 at 8:02 PM

Stella the fella

• Romford mag

Jun 10, 2021 at 8:03 PM

I thought 3 was a crowd 🙂

• jane

Jun 10, 2021 at 8:06 PM

“Has Miggy had his jabs, as he is going to be playing in one of the worst affected most irresponsible country’s re. covid in the world.”

if you mean Brazil it’s already been played and wasn’t in Brazil.

• Mund

Jun 10, 2021 at 8:06 PM

Seen Rom trying to make it a quadruple just to even the odds 😉

• martoon

Jun 10, 2021 at 8:11 PM

Charlie @33 – I actually think that’s a good idea – it will prevent decisions offside via a finger nail!

• Online Guy

Jun 10, 2021 at 8:19 PM

Wor Bill @ 19:58

I concur , and I can tell you that Masters has got bad breath.

• Online Guy

Jun 10, 2021 at 8:23 PM

I have it on good authority that Wor Queen Elizabeth the second is a Newcastle United supporter.

Or might have been Sympathiser .

• WLtoon

Jun 10, 2021 at 8:27 PM

Managed to book 2 nights for next weekend at the Esplanade Hotel in Whitby, it has very mixed reviews, has anyone on here stayed there ?

• Moonraker15

Jun 10, 2021 at 8:38 PM

Carson80

#26
    Sounds churlish but I lost interest in the England team when Gazza and Shearer retired !

• Swlabr

Jun 10, 2021 at 8:44 PM

Bit soon for the twilight shift but I’ve need to bugger off
    I don’t normally do this sort of thing, but it popped into my head so I thought I’d give it a shot. Half-cocked but heartfelt

“People Get Ready”

People get ready
    There’s a plane a comin’
    They don’t need no baggage
    They just get on board
    All they need is gin
    To hear the diesels hummin’
    They don’t need no ticket
    We just thank the Sauds

So people get ready
    Look to the south East of Jordan
    They’re making the journey
    From coast to coast
    Faith is our key
    Open the gates and greet them
    There’s hope for all
    Among those loved the most

There ain’t no room
    For the PL sinners
    Who would hurt North East England
    Just to save their own
    Have pity on those because their
    Chances grow thinner
    There’s no hiding place
    when the “Kingdom” comes

So people get ready
    There’s a plane a comin’
    They don’t need no baggage
    They just get on board
    All we need is faith
    and to hear those diesels hummin’
    Just open those gates and let the “Kingdom” come.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jun 10, 2021 at 8:50 PM

Jane

I saw that result and please do correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t the Copa America being played in Brazil during June this year and Paraguay is one of the competing teams for whom Miggy plays?

• Optimistic prime

Jun 10, 2021 at 8:53 PM

Tuff

I’ve got some corded tools that still work a dream.

Try to be 100% cordless, saves a lot of hassle.

Bob

I was being serious when I asked if I was missing something, wasn’t being sarcastic or looking for a argument.

It’s doesn’t appear any different to anything I’ve seen before, wasn’t sure if I’d missed the smoking gun or colonel mustard being revealed in the library.

I’m not on the yacht anymore, fell over board looking at sky.

• anxer

Jun 10, 2021 at 8:55 PM

I sometimes wonder whether we’re less likely to get players called up for England because the FA don’t like having to deal with the club under Ashley, or is it just we’ve simply not had any players good enough?

Maybe sounds a bit out there, but at times I’ve felt our players are possibly overlooked. Hard to say as we haven’t really had any exceptional English talent since a young Carroll.

• Optimistic prime

Jun 10, 2021 at 8:57 PM

We can’t afford our players called up for England duty, they spend enough time injured due to Bruce, don’t need the England jinx too.

• Carson80

Jun 10, 2021 at 8:57 PM

WLtoon as long as you don’t get one of those rooms with bunk beds you should be OK.
    Moonraker not churlish at all and also Les Ferdinand and Steve Howey were in that squad.
    It’s probably just me harking back to a better era in football imo.

• Nicky the ball tosser

Jun 10, 2021 at 8:58 PM

England have a good side, but it’ll be undone in the quarters or semis by a better one, among who’ve outpourings of grief and tears and boozing and probably a little spike in covid as common sense and social distancing go out the window.

It is odd though that England can never have the best side in Europe or even the world, when teams like Germany, Italy, Spain, France and even Holland can. The French are actually a bit indifferent to football, but they’ll probably win this, to add to their World Cup win.

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 10, 2021 at 8:59 PM

33 of us in Scythes/Ed’s league now.

• Optimistic prime

Jun 10, 2021 at 9:00 PM

“France won’t win, all they’ve done for 3 years is practice picking up the trophy”

From my French mate.

• Dondatta13

Jun 10, 2021 at 9:00 PM

OLG…

As someone explained on twitter at the time, regarding the arbitration chair…

Sports law is such a niche specialty, that you will find a lot of the top people have worked for and against the same clients during the course of time…

So having the chair removed was always going to be difficult. However, that said, it will guarantee that the case will be heard in an impartial way due to this conflict of interest has been highlighted by our protest (trying to have the chair replaced).

🙂

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 10, 2021 at 9:01 PM

Nbtb,
    I can’t understand why we can’t dominate football, we’ve got the population and enthusiasm for the game, it baffles me.

• lochinvar

Jun 10, 2021 at 9:03 PM

So UEFA have awarded TV rights for the Champions League in the Middle East to bein eventhough they were outbid by Saudi Arabia.
    Nothing too fishy about that then? Nudge nudge wink wink.

It will be interesting to see who broadcasts the Premier League. Not some two bit Euro vision contest.

• Optimistic prime

Jun 10, 2021 at 9:05 PM

Does anyone know how many things need to line up?

What about the dots?

How many do we need to join up?

I’ve got tea leaves somewhere, any psychos on here that can read tea leaves? 😉

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 10, 2021 at 9:07 PM

Nbtb,
    My idea is, the FA, being the richest in the world, pick twenty of the countries brightest coaches and pay them a wage each year and pay their expenses. Do a deal with the twenty best clubs in Europe and send them there on placements, regular meetings through out the season to discuss their ideas. In the summer time these twenty coaches would visit various summer camps in the UK passing on their knowledge and having the grassroots footballers/coaches all sharing the same idea. Hopefully some of these bright coaches would make it as managers and then the England job.

• Optimistic prime

Jun 10, 2021 at 9:12 PM

Jail@68

Why?

It’s much easier just to give the managers job to Lampard or Gerrard then blame the players for not trying hard enough.

• Nicky the ball tosser

Jun 10, 2021 at 9:14 PM

I know that in cricket, it’s commonly believed by the Aussies that the English will often defeat themselves, simply by knowing quite sensibly that failure is always on the cards, while the Aussies just say fugg it, and go out and play hard. There might be something fatally flawed in the national character when it comes to sport, that on balance is actually a good thing though…. humility.

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 10, 2021 at 9:20 PM

Ntbt,
    I’m not sure about that, there was a huge initiative regarding the Olympics, the government invested money and they done the right things and we now are in the top five Olympic competitors.

• Nicky the ball tosser

Jun 10, 2021 at 9:21 PM

English football is pretty exciting, but it’s hard to win big tournaments playing that way I suppose. You can win the Champions league, but you’ve got the very best players to help you do it. England have Henderson and Rice in central midfield, good players, but not really top notch. Southgate likes to hold onto the ball, because that’s how you win big tournaments, but other teams will do it better.

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 10, 2021 at 9:26 PM

I meant to say the twenty best clubs in the world, you might as well have them getting the South America experience as well.

• Nicky the ball tosser

Jun 10, 2021 at 9:27 PM

Hope I’m wrong. Country will go nuts of course if they make it to the final and actually win it, which of course can happen, but just doesn’t. Fantastic collection of attacking talent though. They click, and the problems behind them might not matter.

• jane

Jun 10, 2021 at 9:44 PM

you’re right Copa America is going to played in Brazil but this was a world cup qualifier.

• jane

Jun 10, 2021 at 9:48 PM

so you were right about every thing you said and i stand corrected.

• Optimistic prime

Jun 10, 2021 at 9:49 PM

System error?

• GeordieTwo

Jun 10, 2021 at 9:53 PM

I just wonder if we would be considered fit and proper supporters by the powers that be? Shouldn’t we just go along with whatever the Prem wants regarding our ownership? In other words won’t we just please go away and leave them be? I don’t think they give a hoot about the club or its supporters, but Ashley is a parasite that will be very difficult to rid ourselves of. After 14 years I guess that’s obvious.

• cleveleysbob

Jun 10, 2021 at 10:15 PM

OP, I took you seriously mate, sorry if it came across wrong. 🙁

I was “shooting the breeze” and just throwing some stuff around, despite my absolute confidence that nowts changed or is likely to in immediate future. I’m just intrigued by the “separation” issue, how they might achieve it or whether it will be needed anyway. 😉

Dear me I’m beginning to sound like…….. here’s some dots for you…… I know you like joining dots…… I used to love it last year on Twitter……. Got me nowhere…. 😆