web analytics

The Euros Start Tonight As Deadline Day Arrives For The Premier League To Respond

Today is the day that EURO 2020 belatedly gets underway after being postponed a year due to the coronavirus pandemic. Turkey and Italy will get the tournament started tonight while England’s Euro journey starts on Sunday afternoon against Croatia.

The first Newcastle player who could be in action will be tomorrow afternoon when Fabian Schar and Switzerland take on Wales. Monday could provide a triple dose of Magpies with Scotland (Ryan Fraser), Slovakia (Martin Dubravka), and Sweden (Emil Krafth) all set for their first match.

Along with the Euros, today is the deadline for the Premier League to respond to Mike Ashley’s anti-competition claim. There’s likely not much to come out of today’s proceedings as the Competition Appeal Tribunal could last into next month. The Chronicle expects the Premier League’s response to be an application to basically have the claim thrown out.

There have been recent reports that Ashley and the members of the consortium remain confident that the takeover will be resurrected this summer. Today’s CAT is the first step in a two-pronged attack with Newcastle’s arbitration case set to start in July.

While these cases provide some lingering hope that Newcastle can finally escape the Ashley era, it’s shaping up to be another cruel summer. So at least we have the European Championships to occupy our uneasy minds over the next month.

Other news that hit Newcastle fans where it hurts, Rafa Benitez is reportedly under consideration for the Everton job. The Spaniard has been mentioned as a potential candidate but according to the Liverpool Echo, no contact has been made yet.

There continues to be a number of managers linked to Everton. Yesterday, a report claimed that Galatasaray’s Fatih Terim has been offered the job. Sport Witness is also citing reports from France that Rudi Garcia – formerly of Roma, Marseille, and Lyon – has been contacted about taking the reins at Goodison Park.

• DutchontheToon

Jun 11, 2021 at 11:29 AM

Why do you still go on about Everton and Rafa. It’s a well known fact that a Amanda and Rafa are talking all the time. Let it rest and see what happens.

• Ibizatoon

Jun 11, 2021 at 11:41 AM

Dutchonthetoon….But is it the Amanda, or just a Amanda, or an Amanda even?

For what it’s worth, my guess is it’s being covered as it’s a story in the news.

• cleveleysbob

Jun 11, 2021 at 11:48 AM

I responded to all of this mornings messages on previous page before noticing the bus movement. Which is a lot like a bowel movement, but without your friends on the bus. 🙄

• lesh

Jun 11, 2021 at 11:49 AM

Cleveleysbob

Missing the bus can prove stressful.

It might be a good time to pour yourself a large one, an aperitif before lunch

• lesh

Jun 11, 2021 at 11:52 AM

Adamn

Bear in mind that the EPL are defendants in the CAT process and as such, they’ll be more interested in stringing things out. They’ll likely submit its case near the deadline of 5pm.

Don’t expect to see instant, step by step updates on the CAT case site.

• cleveleysbob

Jun 11, 2021 at 11:53 AM

Just for accuracy, you know I like my facts.

5pm this afternoon is the deadline for the PL to submit their case to CAT as to why they believe the CAT has no jurisdiction in this matter.

The CAT will then decide whether they have legal jurisdiction or not, after which either MA’s case will be thrown out of CAT or the tribunal dates will be set for the public hearing to take place.

For emphasis : Todays deadline has nothing to do with the CAT claim, it is solely the deadline for the PL to try and have the CAT case stopped.

• cleveleysbob

Jun 11, 2021 at 11:55 AM

Time for a drink. 😳

• Ibizatoon

Jun 11, 2021 at 12:00 PM

bob…”time for a drink” – Is that a fact, as I’m not sure this thread can handle any more…and that’s a fact.

• Dondatta13

Jun 11, 2021 at 12:07 PM

I can’t help feel we will hear what the PL response is. This case will not be private and/or confidential…

If it’s an open forum, it’s an open forum right? What’s to stop our side releasing the response that they will be privy to?

I guess time will tell.

• Carson80

Jun 11, 2021 at 12:17 PM

Bob at 6 think everybody knows that but some are alluding to what happens if the Premier league don’t respond, maybe that’s where a tinge of excitement comes into it.

• cleveleysbob

Jun 11, 2021 at 12:21 PM

Carson that’s an interesting but unlikely take on proceedings 🙂

That the PL having done everything they can to stop the CAT case from happening don’t provide the evidence to back up their claim. Hmmm 😕

• scott

Jun 11, 2021 at 12:21 PM

Cleveleys

Do you know if the PL lose & the judge allows the case if the PL can appeal thus setting a new deadline somewhere in the future?

• Mund

Jun 11, 2021 at 12:21 PM

What I see when a few are explaining the goings on of the current situation, is all opinions are the letter by the law and what I mean is you are talking about the process and each stage as it’s written, which is spot on but it’s the goings on around the situation we don’t know about that excites me.

It’s not what we know it’s what we don’t know

• cleveleysbob

Jun 11, 2021 at 12:22 PM

Ibiza, I’m totally fact out 😆

• Andymax

Jun 11, 2021 at 12:22 PM

Mund, yes they will have but they still need to put a case forward for the Cat to actually go ahead. After PL and Ashlie have submitted their cases then the judge will make a decision whether there’s a case to answer to.

“It is believed that the Premier League will try to make an application today that the CAT claim should not go ahead.

Ashley’s St James’ Holdings will get the chance to have their say on this, but that could take until the end of June or longer.”

• Mund

Jun 11, 2021 at 12:23 PM

When the short extension was given it was said there will be no more delays after that

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 11, 2021 at 12:23 PM

Bob,
    Yes, it is for the Gin, my thinking is it will cut my journey time from the living room to the kitchen by half.

• Mund

Jun 11, 2021 at 12:27 PM

Andy

Ashley’s legal team are the claimants so there case will be ready to go instantly.

The PL as we know are trying to get it thrown out but in that same time they have to prepare for the case in case that fails.

It’s going to be very interesting the judgement on that because if our legal team get there way it could blow up the PL and the corruption we all think of. Masters and Hoffman will be sweating in there Man U underpants

• scott

Jun 11, 2021 at 12:28 PM

Mund

So would an appeal be classed as a delay?

From what people have said about bird & bird I was just thinking this would be the next play if they lost but I haven’t got a scooby about these things! 🙂

• Mund

Jun 11, 2021 at 12:32 PM

Scott

Don’t hold me to this but I heard with the judges response when the PL wanted an extension but a longer one and the judge said no you can have a short one, it was said there will be no more delays after this so I don’t think an appeal can be made.

I know for a fact if there can be more delays Bird & Bird will use it. It’s there go to tactic on all there cases. Let’s hope they can’t mate

• cleveleysbob

Jun 11, 2021 at 12:32 PM

Scott, as far as I’m aware, no they can’t. If CAT determines that they do have jurisdiction on this matter then the tribunal will take place and dates be set (unless the PL settles).

There are a lot of people who believe that the PL will do anything to avoid all their stuff being aired in public. If this is true, then the PL will rush to settle as soon as possible after the CAT rules against them.

If, which is equally possible, this is just a Twitter fed fallacy, then the tribunal will go ahead at a fixed timeline determined by CAT and this will be public.

However, the timeframes are such that the arbitration result is likely to come before the CAT tribunal starts. If (there’s a lot of these) arbitration goes against the PL then in all likelihood the takeover will proceed leaving the CAT only determining what level of damages/costs to pay MA.

If, arbitration goes against MA, then he’s still got the CAT to fall back on as they could possibly decide that the PL used its position to act uncompetitively and order them to approve the takeover. I doubt it will ever get that far, but we’ll see.

• Adamn_92

Jun 11, 2021 at 12:34 PM

Scott

I don’t know for sure but an appeal I would imagine would not be considered a delay as it’s a genuine legal thing they can use as a response. What I definitely don’t know, is if they are allowed to appeal it in the first place.

• Mund

Jun 11, 2021 at 12:36 PM

Ofc an appeal would be a delay

• cleveleysbob

Jun 11, 2021 at 12:36 PM

Jail, good on you mate, enjoy 😳

• cleveleysbob

Jun 11, 2021 at 12:38 PM

For clarity, they can’t appeal the CAT’s jurisdiction decision.

I’m not sure after that.

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 11, 2021 at 12:39 PM

Bob,
    I’m a little bit new to the Gin game, do you think it’s a tad uncivilised drinking it from a pint glass?

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 11, 2021 at 12:41 PM

If the PL are sitting themselves so much then how has it gone this far, why don’t they just pass the takeover and have done with it?

• Adamn_92

Jun 11, 2021 at 12:43 PM

Mund

It’s a delay yes, but a perfectly legal route of a delay is what I mean. Not like ‘just not responding or kicking the can down the road’ type of delay.

As cleveleys says though they can’t appeal so that clears that up!

• Carson80

Jun 11, 2021 at 12:43 PM

Bob the Premier league asked for the extension to collate evidence but what if they haven’t got any. It isn’t beyond the realms of possibility that they could turn around at 16:59 and say “We haven’t got anything m’lord”. I know both sides have delayed this whole thing but it could be more dilly dallying on the Premier league behalf.

• scott

Jun 11, 2021 at 12:49 PM

Mund/Clev

• Mund

Jun 11, 2021 at 12:50 PM

They will fight it until they can’t fight it no more

Then it’s #cans

• Mund

Jun 11, 2021 at 12:50 PM

Adam

I’m sure I said they can’t delay it either 😆

• scott

Jun 11, 2021 at 12:51 PM

Mund/Cleveleys/Adamn

Thanks for clearing that up for me!

• anxer

Jun 11, 2021 at 12:51 PM

I think it’d be fine to drink gin from a pint glass Jail. Last time I got a gin and tonic when I was out it was served in what looked like a small goldfish bowl, probably held well over a pint. Make sure and get some other mixers in case the bitter lemon isn’t to your taste, but I think it’s more palatable than tonic water. I drank gin before it became popular though so only ever really got Gordon’s.

• Adamn_92

Jun 11, 2021 at 12:52 PM

Mund

Sorry I must have missed that

• cleveleysbob

Jun 11, 2021 at 12:53 PM

Jail, I believe that there isn’t anything that you do in the privacy of your own home that can be classed as uncivilised 😉

Anywhere else is another matter entirely.

• Mund

Jun 11, 2021 at 12:54 PM

Maybe or maybe it’s because it was my opinion 😉

You know like last time? 😆

• Adamn_92

Jun 11, 2021 at 12:56 PM

No I’ll stick to my first answer haha

• cleveleysbob

Jun 11, 2021 at 12:56 PM

Anxer, I’ve had a few like that. There’s a fish restaurant just outside of Marbella (Cristinas ) where they serve it in these huge “bucket like” wine globes, amazing. 2 of them and almost needed carrying home. 🙂

• Mund

Jun 11, 2021 at 12:56 PM

You can but it’s not the truth 😉