web analytics

Callum Wilson Becomes Newcastle’s Latest Number 9 While Joelinton Takes Recently Vacated Shirt

Newcastle United have confirmed that Callum Wilson will take the famous number 9 shirt. He wore the number 13 during his inaugural season on Tyneside.

Joelinton will take the number 7 shirt, which Andy Carroll wore for the past two seasons. The club have still to confirm Carroll’s departure. The Geordie’s contract expired last month.

This is what Wilson said about donning the iconic number nine for Newcastle United:

“They’re both iconic shirts and we’re both going to contribute a lot to the team.

“You’re playing for the badge on the front ultimately but you’re wearing a special number on the back and it’s just about doing it justice, playing well, and helping the team.”

Wilson joins a long line of famous number 9’s at St. James’ Park. Jackie Milburn, Alan Shearer, and Malcolm Macdonald soared to great heights in the shirt. More recently Andy Carroll, in his initial time with his hometown club, and Papiss Cisse enjoyed some success wearing the shirt.

Joelinton wore the number 9 for his first two seasons at Newcastle but has proven to be more a support striker than a goalscorer. Hopefully, this change of number can give the Brazilian a fresh start.

He showed some signs during the second half of last season and hopefully will continue his improvement this season. If he can reach another level, that would solve a big problem Steve Bruce faces in recruitment this summer.

• Adamn_92

Jul 17, 2021 at 6:49 PM

Prince,

Aye that’s probably a better way of putting it haha

• Aces-of-Eights

Jul 17, 2021 at 6:49 PM

Atsu gone Saudi Arabia

• The Prince's Mate

Jul 17, 2021 at 6:50 PM

Not wanting to sound like a character from eastenders but I fear the worst

• The Prince's Mate

Jul 17, 2021 at 6:52 PM

If the worst comes to the worst I’d be happy for Mr Plugg to be asined to clean the netties and Mr Jones take over

• Adamn_92

Jul 17, 2021 at 6:56 PM

Prince’s

I understand being positive and hopeful, I’m still hopeful it’ll happen. But you have to be grounded and realistic still, have to acknowledge that the longer this goes and the further back dates gets pushed, it’s a worrying sign in my opinion.

• The Ledge

Jul 17, 2021 at 6:57 PM

No Adam worrying gets you nothing.
    And if I do I prefer it to be about real-life matters like family, health, life in general not something that might never happen.

• The Ledge

Jul 17, 2021 at 6:58 PM

And the takeover will eventually happen.

• DubaiMicky

Jul 17, 2021 at 6:59 PM

NY Mag, hope you’re doing brilliantly, where you gonna sail your boat? Where we met or on the East Coast?

Hoping to get tweet of the week on Friday….

• Adamn_92

Jul 17, 2021 at 7:00 PM

The Ledge

You don’t have to pick and choose, you can be worried about smaller things and bigger things, without it letting you affect you much. I hope the takeover eventually happens too.

• The Ledge

Jul 17, 2021 at 7:03 PM

That 4 on the new shirt is awful will definitely be sticking to my old Adidas shirt.

• captainmarvel

Jul 17, 2021 at 7:04 PM

The longer it goes on makes no difference whatsoever to it happening or not. Apart from the transfer window closing that would probably make Masters and Co. Happy..

• The Prince's Mate

Jul 17, 2021 at 7:04 PM

Adam I’m 66 grounded and hopeful but do you or anyone know of any other TO that’s taken this long?

• The Ledge

Jul 17, 2021 at 7:04 PM

That’s is true Adam but to worry about something that none of us has a clue what is actually going on is pointless.

• Mund

Jul 17, 2021 at 7:05 PM

Ledge

For those top 4 ambitions 😉

• Mund

Jul 17, 2021 at 7:05 PM

Exactly that Ledge

Never worry about anything that is out of our control.

• The Ledge

Jul 17, 2021 at 7:06 PM

Haha, hope so Mund .

• Adamn_92

Jul 17, 2021 at 7:07 PM

The Ledge

That’s fair enough, I don’t let it affect me at all but am still worried about the club the longer it’s left in this limbo.

• The Prince's Mate

Jul 17, 2021 at 7:09 PM

I don’t worry at my age but must hold up my hands at how naive I was…documents shown proven…finances proven…both parties agree…..THEN the limp6 step in with the help of masters and his pickpockets to scuttle it all

• Adamn_92

Jul 17, 2021 at 7:13 PM

Fair play to Joelinton, he’s not once (as far as I can remember anyway) grumbled since being at the club and keeps going and trying. Seemed more than happy to let Wilson have the 9 when maybe other plus may have been a bit miffed at it. Seems like he just wants to help out as much as he can.

• Adamn_92

Jul 17, 2021 at 7:13 PM

*other players

• carltoon

Jul 17, 2021 at 7:16 PM

Adam! For goodness sake stop worrying, this is Newcastle United, just believe it won’t happen, the if it does, Yippee. After the year and half everyone has endured, does it matter, if were alive and still kicking.

• carltoon

Jul 17, 2021 at 7:19 PM

It would be great if Joe had a good season, he’s rarely injured, he always tries, and he’s not bad holding the ball up, if he gets a partnership with Wilson, we might see some goals.

• Adamn_92

Jul 17, 2021 at 7:20 PM

Carltoon, I don’t think being a bit worried about the club and being thankful I’m still alive really need to be compared haha like I say it’s not affecting my day to day life at all, I’m just a bit worried about the club I support. It’s not the be all and end all. If people don’t want to be worried that’s fine. It doesn’t matter if I am, it isn’t a big deal.

• carltoon

Jul 17, 2021 at 7:21 PM

Adam Joe couldn’t wait to off load it, fancy giving the iconic shirt to an unknown footballer, who had never played as a center forward.

• Uncertain Toon/World

Jul 17, 2021 at 7:21 PM

So we’re cracking on with herd immunity it seems

• Adamn_92

Jul 17, 2021 at 7:22 PM

Carltoon, probably felt like a huge weight off his back. Just think he seems to get on with everything and after all his critics and stuff, fair play to the lad. Can just imagine some other players, like big personalities, being a bit annoyed changing numbers.

• carltoon

Jul 17, 2021 at 7:23 PM

Adam ok, I’ve worried about it all my life, not anymore, just going to take ?I’ve as it comes, enjoy what I can, and dismiss the bad.

• carltoon

Jul 17, 2021 at 7:23 PM

Take life as it comes, what other way is there.

• Adamn_92

Jul 17, 2021 at 7:25 PM

Carltoon, aye and that’s fair enough! A good way to deal with it too, I’m still hopeful over everything but holding concern over the future of the club at the moment. We just need a conclusion already!

• Mund

Jul 17, 2021 at 7:26 PM

Tbh worry has been gone and seen it’s time over 10 years.

The only worry is a continued future with Ashley and Bruce.

For a long time it’s always been the same, nothings changed and nothing will until Ashley is gone.

The club finished well last year and hopefully we can continue with some of that confidence the lads showed in the final third.

Bring Willock back and see our new number 9 😉 and having the Jones effect I’m quietly optimistic.

The future is bright

• carltoon

Jul 17, 2021 at 7:30 PM

Simon! Brings us a bottle to the first match of the season! The club rang me so got my ticket sorted at last.

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 17, 2021 at 7:32 PM

The fuure of the club remains pointless while Ashley is still here.

• The Ledge

Jul 17, 2021 at 7:32 PM

I would still like to see Joe play under a decent Manager as he had in Nagelsmann in Germany.
    It can’t be easy playing under the 3 Steve’s a language barrier new to the country and the guy that is supposed to be guiding and helping you ain’t got a clue what he is doing tactically.
    Nagelsmann rated him and he seems to have a eye for talent .

• carltoon

Jul 17, 2021 at 7:38 PM

Onmeedson, me you and Simon should meet up, if Martoon Loch, And Charlie in the corner, can also join in we could shout Ashley oot. Especially if I’ve drank Simon’s wine

• carltoon

Jul 17, 2021 at 7:40 PM

Ledge his hold up play was quite good, and he had a few good games, when he wasn’t asked to be the main man

• lochinvar

Jul 17, 2021 at 7:53 PM

Carltoon
    Great that you’ve got your ticket sorted – season ticket?

Which part of the ground are we likely to hear your dulcet tones in?
    Think you mentioned awhile back that you liked to express your opinions towards the owner, manager, referee and opposition.

• The Ledge

Jul 17, 2021 at 8:01 PM

He did well for a couple of games carltoon I would like to see him played behind the main striker with a more high tempo attack-minded style what he was used to in Germany where he did well.
    But maybe he is just not suited to the premier league it’s hard to judge with our current manager in charge

• simon376

Jul 17, 2021 at 8:06 PM

Carltoon

Sorted I’ll have a bottle with me, if things don’t go our way, get it opened and at least make the game better I hope

• carltoon

Jul 17, 2021 at 8:08 PM

Loch, I’m in the Platinum Club. So not allowed to breath, and have had a few disapproving looks when I scream, so I’m usually on my best behavior.