web analytics

Callum Wilson Becomes Newcastle’s Latest Number 9 While Joelinton Takes Recently Vacated Shirt

Newcastle United have confirmed that Callum Wilson will take the famous number 9 shirt. He wore the number 13 during his inaugural season on Tyneside.

Joelinton will take the number 7 shirt, which Andy Carroll wore for the past two seasons. The club have still to confirm Carroll’s departure. The Geordie’s contract expired last month.

This is what Wilson said about donning the iconic number nine for Newcastle United:

“They’re both iconic shirts and we’re both going to contribute a lot to the team.

“You’re playing for the badge on the front ultimately but you’re wearing a special number on the back and it’s just about doing it justice, playing well, and helping the team.”

Wilson joins a long line of famous number 9’s at St. James’ Park. Jackie Milburn, Alan Shearer, and Malcolm Macdonald soared to great heights in the shirt. More recently Andy Carroll, in his initial time with his hometown club, and Papiss Cisse enjoyed some success wearing the shirt.

Joelinton wore the number 9 for his first two seasons at Newcastle but has proven to be more a support striker than a goalscorer. Hopefully, this change of number can give the Brazilian a fresh start.

He showed some signs during the second half of last season and hopefully will continue his improvement this season. If he can reach another level, that would solve a big problem Steve Bruce faces in recruitment this summer.

• simon376

Jul 17, 2021 at 8:08 PM

Carltoon

I’m in east stand almost half way line so probably opposite you. Actually think seat I have now is better than what I got of Gavin in players family area fir the view. Back then I was XX191 in the Milburn, good old days when all I paid for was a program

• carltoon

Jul 17, 2021 at 8:09 PM

Well let’s meet up before the game.

• carltoon

Jul 17, 2021 at 8:14 PM

The girl from the club, said they would be the last to know about any takeover.

• carltoon

Jul 17, 2021 at 8:15 PM

Of course i did ask

• NY Mag

Jul 17, 2021 at 8:15 PM

Micky,

Hope you’re keeping well,

I’m planning to put it on great sacandaga lake, NY (close to where we live)

But, I’m having difficulty on both finding a place to keep it and to buy it.
    Seems there a lack of both at the moment…

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 17, 2021 at 8:28 PM

NY Mag,
    I’m on nights till next Thursday so if you want anything answered on the FPL fire away on that thread.

• NY Mag

Jul 17, 2021 at 8:33 PM

Jail,

Thanks…..I’m still in the position, that I don’t know what I don’t know.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jul 17, 2021 at 8:36 PM

carltoon

You should have asked the cleaner! 🙂

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jul 17, 2021 at 8:39 PM

Joelinton has shown flashes but nowt more, I’ll be surprised if he doesn’t spend more time on the bench, if he’s even in the squad for game that is.

• carltoon

Jul 17, 2021 at 8:41 PM

Bill, i might as well have.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jul 17, 2021 at 8:44 PM

NY Mag

Out of curiosity I googled the Great Sacandaga lake and found this, hope you don’t end up sailing on a pond! 🙂

One of the main issues causing low water levels, he noted, is that average rain levels for the region are low and therefore the lake is not being replenished and evaporates at a greater rate. … As a man-made reservoir, the lake’s water level is affected by a license with the Hudson River-Black River Regulating District.

• Scythe For Bruce

Jul 17, 2021 at 8:46 PM

Wanted to ask if people from the blog are joining the FFL then can you use your blog name somewhere on either your username or team name please? Just so we can know who is who. Cheers 🙂

• Bri

Jul 17, 2021 at 8:47 PM

Joelinton will never ever be good enough.Just wait till next season when the crowd gets on his back for missing sitters or taking the wrong option.

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 17, 2021 at 8:49 PM

Scythe,
    It looks like the H2H has stagnated a bit on 26.

• simon376

Jul 17, 2021 at 9:01 PM

Carltoon

Something got to ask, I’m working on Track and Trace for Department of Health, one woman I know from past is from up here as once interviewed me, but dealing with someone else, by email only right now, but got same name as you, not you is it?

• Munster Mag

Jul 17, 2021 at 9:03 PM

Ledge, can nufc have Lee Chin please?

How fit are some of those guys, amateurs living in the gym!

• TheTinman

Jul 17, 2021 at 9:03 PM

Cracking weekend camping in the Yorkshire Dale’s.

Scythe there is only one Tinman so I’ve called my team The Tinmen.

Haven’t seen any toon news for the last couple of days. Looking at the comments looks like no movement yet.

Pleased Joelinton has got a shirt change and is being recognised as the support player he is. He needs to aim for 10 goals next season. Wilson 20. Almiron and St Max 5 each.

• NY Mag

Jul 17, 2021 at 9:09 PM

Bill,

Interestingly enough, we were talking to a boat dealer a couple of days ago who mentioned that same thing.

He suggested….lake George (which is a tad more expensive) as an alternative.

I would love to live the millionaires life……I just don’t have the money to do it 🙁

• Adamn_92

Jul 17, 2021 at 9:11 PM

Scythe, I think I’m the only Adam on there so hopefully that’ll be alright 🙂

• lochinvar

Jul 17, 2021 at 9:13 PM

Carltoon
    Platinum Club – that’s like the Royal Bos isn’t it?

Give me and Simon376 a wave.
    Looks like we’re very close neighbours!

• lochinvar

Jul 17, 2021 at 9:13 PM

Royal Box

• TheTinman

Jul 17, 2021 at 9:15 PM

Adam, we will spot your team a mile off. It will be very sensible, well balanced and middle of the road, don’t expect to see risky maverick choices from our sensible Adam 😀

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 17, 2021 at 9:16 PM

That Sean Casey is tweeting itk stuff again, I wonder who he is.
    “Boubacar Kamara has been offered to #nufc and we are now playing a numbers game to fit him into budget feeling is we will miss out.
    Willock deal being held up by Arsenal but will happen poker game at the moment”

• Bri

Jul 17, 2021 at 9:19 PM

Support player at 40 mill

• The Ledge

Jul 17, 2021 at 9:23 PM

Munster…he is fit as a fiddle but a bit of a prick away from the pitch.
    Thinks he is someone he is not.
    Great player though just a bit of a billy big bollocks.

• simon376

Jul 17, 2021 at 9:24 PM

Carltoon

Of course only know your name coz of twiter

• TheTinman

Jul 17, 2021 at 9:25 PM

Bri, support player as in position, behind the striker, goals and assists.

There is still a possibility with Joelintons physical abilities that he can fulfill his price tag. But his finishing and composure is genuinely league 1/2 level. Hard to be a good forward player when you hit every shot with your heel.

• simon376

Jul 17, 2021 at 9:25 PM

Lochinvar

Row N seat 62 for me, how close to that are you?

• Nicky the ball tosser

Jul 17, 2021 at 9:34 PM

Glad he’s taken the 7, giving Wilson the 9. I think when used more appropriately, in the role that far far better suits him, essentially in behind or as an attacking wide mid, Joel has been on balance about as good as Miggy, and a little behind St Max and Wilson.

To me, if we get Willock and another decent one in as cover to Wilson, then I’d see Joel as being one of say 15 or 16 regulars who’ll get us into the top ten, just.

A fit Ryan Fraser can also contribute, but we do need Willock and one other to compete with and cover Wilson, or bottom third and with it always the possibility of a drop.

• Adamn_92

Jul 17, 2021 at 9:36 PM

TheTinman, a robust and solid 4-4-2 😉

• Bri

Jul 17, 2021 at 9:37 PM

TheTinman
    I would love you to be right,next season will give us the answer either way.

• TheTinman

Jul 17, 2021 at 9:48 PM

Definitely. It’s make or break Time for big Joe. I wonder if we might get stuck with him if he never finds the goalscoring touch similar to Benteke at Palace.

Adam, 😆

Nick, I agree. He should be in and out of the team if he competes and gets in form.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jul 17, 2021 at 9:55 PM

NY Mag

Sorry to hear that mate, never mind you can probably muddle along as middle class wealthy! 🙂

• carltoon

Jul 17, 2021 at 9:58 PM

Simon, no it’s not me, I’ve been retired for quite a few years,

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jul 17, 2021 at 9:58 PM

No body attempting to predict tomorrow’s teams?

How about you Neil! 🙂

• carltoon

Jul 17, 2021 at 10:00 PM

Loch, I’ve got a nice lounge, for night games when it gets too cold, and of course chips on a paper plate.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jul 17, 2021 at 10:00 PM

My seat is about 250 miles away in Essex!

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jul 17, 2021 at 10:02 PM

carltoon

Chips on a paper plate just how posh are you, what’s wrong with newspaper?

• carltoon

Jul 17, 2021 at 10:02 PM

Bill, just as good, and your not giving you know who any money 😉

• simon376

Jul 17, 2021 at 10:03 PM

Carltoon

Thought probably not but shame, held back from mentioning anything Newcastle to her haha