web analytics

Bruce Confirms Carroll Exit And Defender’s Imminent Return To Spain

Steve Bruce has spoken after this afternoon’s friendly at York City. The lads but in a cautious effort against Steve Watson’s Minstermen in a 1-0 defeat. However, quite a few members of the squad got a full match in what was a decent run-out for this point of the pre-season.

There were few Magpies missing from the squad. Jonjo Shelvey, Florian Lejeune, and Javier Manquillo were unexpected omissions. During the broadcast on NUFC TV, BBC Newcastle’s Mathew Raisbeck confirmed that Shelvey was held back due to a minor knock.

Shelvey was at the LNER Stadium as was Manquillo though were not sure why the Spaniard wasn’t involved. Bruce announced after the match that Florian Lejeune will head back to Alaves where he spent last season on loan.

This time it will be a permanent move for an undisclosed fee. This is what Bruce said as published in The Athletic:

“Florian is on his way to Spain, it looks as if something is going to happen there.

“It will put a few quid in the coffers. He is going back to Alaves where he was on loan and there is something imminent.”

With the performance of Kell Watts this afternoon, as well as having Ciaran Clark and Paul Dummett as left-footed center-backs, it appears that Lejeune’s best option was to return to Spain. Florian will depart with just one year remaining on his contract.

As expected, Andy Carroll is now a free agent and has left his hometown club. Bruce confirmed that Andy has left despite no official announcement from Newcastle. Though it was quite evident with Joelinton taking his number 7 shirt.

This is what Bruce said about Carroll’s departure:

“He’s out of contract. I had a conversation with Andy. I think he wants to go and play.

“I wish the lad all the best. I hope it goes well for the rest of his career. He’s certainly been a big help to me in the last couple of years, that’s for sure.”

Carroll managed just one goal during his second stint with Newcastle. Though he was a massive presence in the dressing room and we wish him all the best at his next club. The 32-year-old joins Henri Saivet and Christian Atsu as departures this summer.

Yesterday, Atsu signed with Saudi Arabia’s Al Raed.

• WWSBRD

Jul 18, 2021 at 5:40 PM

Good luck to Atsu and Carroll, very poor netiehr have been announced as formally leaving the club both deserved that. Lejeune I hope continues his form in Spain

• NY Mag

Jul 18, 2021 at 5:41 PM

It’s nice to know that jib still reads the blog……although I’d quite like him to name and shame the “bum boys”

• NY Mag

Jul 18, 2021 at 5:43 PM

WWS,

I thought Carroll was getting offered a new deal, that was the rumor ??

• WWSBRD

Jul 18, 2021 at 5:43 PM

Mund from previous
    I meant Jeffery taking to twitter to call out posters on a blog he got himself banned from. Surely a prime example of not being able to let things go?

• Wor B

Jul 18, 2021 at 5:44 PM

Oo’er NY

Is that what “b*m boys” stands for!

😳

• WWSBRD

Jul 18, 2021 at 5:45 PM

NY
    Just itk nonsense that mate, Bruce confirmed Carroll is gone today told him to go actually play somewhere

• Mund

Jul 18, 2021 at 5:45 PM

WW

Ah ok

Well you would have to ask him.

Jib isn’t on the blog but it doesn’t stop plenty with bringing his name up so maybe it’s like for like?

• Mund

Jul 18, 2021 at 5:46 PM

NY

There was talks of a new deal but he would of only got one with no takeover and not even Rafa could wait about for that to sort itself out.

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 18, 2021 at 5:46 PM

WW….,
    Atsu was instrumental in our promotion and staying in the league, got told in January six hours before the window closed he could go to Celtic. Absolutley disgraceful from the club but no surprises there.

• NY Mag

Jul 18, 2021 at 5:48 PM

WB,

I was just guessing, I’m sure someone can zip over to jibs Twitter feed and ask him…..he’ll probably enjoy the attention

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 18, 2021 at 5:48 PM

NY Mag,
    The itk’ers said Carroll was leaving but getting a new deal from some business with Ashley. Talk about hedging your bets. What!!!

• WWSBRD

Jul 18, 2021 at 5:50 PM

Mund
    I am quite happy not to ask him if I am honest

I mean he was banned surely he could move on with his life and find somewhere else to post? If that is him on twitter clearly he’s still holding a rather large grudge

• NY Mag

Jul 18, 2021 at 5:51 PM

WWS / Mund,

It’s probably for the best….although I always dreamed of big andy strutting his stuff and scoring goals for us.

Sadly, not to be 🙁

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 18, 2021 at 5:52 PM

OGS:
    “I’ll talk about players when we sign them”
    FSB:
    “I’ll keep badgering them, big clubs, up to Arsenal, great kid, big club, yew knoow”
    Bruce Oot!!!

• WWSBRD

Jul 18, 2021 at 5:53 PM

JfA
    Sadly you are right it’s absolutely no surprise those leaving the club after doing a lot for it are shown no respect. The club is a ghost of its former self, nothing to do with those actually working there entirely down to those ‘running’ the show

• DubaiMicky

Jul 18, 2021 at 5:53 PM

Jib,

If you’re watching, here’s something for you – https://youtu.be/iEKLFS-aKcw

• Mund

Jul 18, 2021 at 5:54 PM

WW

That would go for the others on the blog then wouldn’t it?

That’s all I was saying that they should let it go. He isn’t on the blog but a lot keep him alive on here and tbh he has been banned a long time now. Bit silly to keep it going.

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 18, 2021 at 5:55 PM

WW….,
    No doubt it’s him, same hatreds, same taxi’s same BS, twixt a rock and a hard place.

• WWSBRD

Jul 18, 2021 at 5:55 PM

NY
    Aye I had hopes after he came back he might see a swansong for us, wasn’t meant to be sadly hope he finds a decent club he can perform for though

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 18, 2021 at 5:57 PM

Mund,
    Somebody was saying that he has class just the other day, somebody else just showed me a tweet he posted mentioning me, which let’s be honest, doesn’t exactly exude class now does it.

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 18, 2021 at 5:58 PM

DMicky,
    😀

• WWSBRD

Jul 18, 2021 at 5:59 PM

Mund
    I suppose it depends if you believe he is gone but oh well. Wasted enough time talking about a troll at this point. I hope he is gone personally and not to return

JfA
    Sad bloke he is mate. Twitter is a awful place so he will fit in well haha

• north east lincs toon

Jul 18, 2021 at 6:00 PM

Keys ,masters ,Jordan your all gunna be sick as a parrot in few weeks when we’re the richest club in the world

• lochinvar

Jul 18, 2021 at 6:03 PM

Bruce is deflating like a balloon losing air.
    He’s already talking us down and that’s not acceptable.

If our players aren’t yet fit’ why ?
    If our tactics are wrong, why ?
    If our policy on signings is AWOL why ?

One bad result early on and the proverbial will hit the fan very quickly.
    It won’t be pretty.

• carltoon

Jul 18, 2021 at 6:04 PM

I hope they keep Kell in the squad, if they’re letting Lerjuern go, was impressed they way he brought the ball out from the back.

• Mund

Jul 18, 2021 at 6:07 PM

Like a young Woodgate 😉

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 18, 2021 at 6:07 PM

Three new members to the H2H today so very pleased with that. 29 now so may well get the magical 40, as our esteemed manager I think once said.

• carltoon

Jul 18, 2021 at 6:08 PM

I unfollowed him, I don’t want to know what he tweets. I could have justed stayed following him. 🙄

• carltoon

Jul 18, 2021 at 6:11 PM

If he is as good as Woodgate, maybe without the injuries, he’ll be a great player.

• Mund

Jul 18, 2021 at 6:14 PM

I loved the confidence and seen the same when he made his debut against Liverpool. I even said then he should stay in and around the team but tbf his loan last year was the right move.

Should definitely stay in and around the first team.

I’ll be dumbstruck if he sells Lejuene and loans out Watts and the brings in another CB

• lochinvar

Jul 18, 2021 at 6:15 PM

North East Lincs Toon
    Spot on.
    Will be so pleased to see these unsavoury characters try to justify their stances and no doubt change their tactics to curry favour.

• carltoon

Jul 18, 2021 at 6:15 PM

Simon, lewis came back from his penalty points, what an amazing driver he is. Shame about Verstaten. But what a drive from Hamilton.

• jane

Jul 18, 2021 at 6:17 PM

it will be interesting to see who replaces Carroll in the 25 man squad, whether a youngster like Anderson or Sorenson comes in or a new player is brought in.

Atsu’s place will hopefully be taken by Willock.

doesn’t look as if there will be any other changes at the moment?

• Scythe For Bruce

Jul 18, 2021 at 6:20 PM

Jail

Cheers for posting that Twitter link. It’s absolutely hilarious! Just been sitting here eating my lunch reading back through the posts. I’ve never seen anything representing such obsession and bitterness on the net before.

Top stuff 🙂

• NY Mag

Jul 18, 2021 at 6:21 PM

Jane,

I don’t think Matty took a squad place last year….maybe this year he does.

Also, I not sure on Andersons status (re: age)

• jane

Jul 18, 2021 at 6:24 PM

good point Matty is 21 now.

• Scythe For Bruce

Jul 18, 2021 at 6:24 PM

Must say Atsu looks delighted to be plying his trade in the Middle East. I didn’t rate him as highly as Kets does (but who does?) but I wish him well. I don’t remember him rocking the boat while he was with us, so hopefully he’ll get some playing time over there.

• NY Mag

Jul 18, 2021 at 6:26 PM

Scythe,

Surely you’ve read Ilovetoon(whatever number)

He’s also a pretty jovial fellow

• Scythe For Bruce

Jul 18, 2021 at 6:26 PM

NY Mag/jane

Elliot Anderson is 18, so he doesn’t take up a squad place this season.

• Scythe For Bruce

Jul 18, 2021 at 6:29 PM

NY Mag

I haven’t read that one either. I’m not someone who really frequents Twitter. I’m rarely on here never mind Twitter! I check in on my phone two or three times a day, one of which is usually before I go to bed just to see what the night shift have been up to 🙂