web analytics

Newcastle Issue Brief Statement On Postponement Of Arbitration Until 2022

Newcastle United have confirmed that their pending arbitration case against The Premier League has been postponed until early 2022 after a meeting on Monday.

Here is the full statement from the club:

The parties attended a hearing today in the case between Newcastle United and the Premier League.

The main hearing of the arbitration has regrettably now been adjourned until early 2022 due to issues with the disclosure of evidence.

The parties will be making no further comment at this time.

Newcastle’s arbitration case against the Premier League was supposed to get underway this month. The timeframe of the proceedings could have lasted well into the season. Now this club will remain in limbo almost indefinitely as no firm date for the arbitration has been set.

Mike Ashley has been reluctant to fund Steve Bruce’s summer business with a reported budget of just £10m as he hopes to get the Saudi-backed takeover resurrected. We are starting to fall well behind the rest of the pack in our preparations for the coming campaign.

This is another in an endless string of delays and shenanigans that are threatening this club’s ability to compete in the league. Now that a final decision on this takeover is not likely to happen until near the end of this season, Mike Ashley has to open up his wallet and back this club.

• WLtoon

Jul 19, 2021 at 9:26 PM

Aces,

Toon 22 will be changing his line from `only two weeks` to `only two years `

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 19, 2021 at 9:28 PM

Munster Mag

May 6, 2021 at 6:10 PM

Interesting, having poured scorn on every utterance by Mund in relation to ncsl and arbitration , Jail is now softening his cough .

I hope Munster Mag is going to be as humble as he expected me to be for not getting carried away. Trying to rub a takeover in my face the conceited half wit. I wanted this takeover as much as anybody and tonight’s news is a slap in the chops. It sickened me when he posted that above, will he soften his loudmouth cough now.

• TheTinman

Jul 19, 2021 at 9:29 PM

3 scenarios here I think

A) Prem realise they’re buggered and are running scared. They hope to god the Saudis will back away.
    B) Toon delay to hear CAT case 1st. Apparently this is the favourable order.
    C) Toon are desperate and force the delay hoping fan and media pressure will mount on PL, it’s a hail Mary.

• coming home

Jul 19, 2021 at 9:29 PM

Tinman

Here’s to the Saudis digging their heels in

• Nicky the ball tosser

Jul 19, 2021 at 9:30 PM

What does it mean – one or both has asked for more time, or one or both has been asked to provide further evidence?

Someone’s on the run here I think.

Sickening as the wait has become, I don’t necessarily see this as bad for the outcome we are after, in fact this may prove a watershed case.

• WLtoon

Jul 19, 2021 at 9:30 PM

coming home,

Enviable is indeed a word , i just didn`t know why you mentioned it in your mail, i realise now you meant inevitable .
    So my question to you is, do you think this TO is inevitable?

• Moonraker15

Jul 19, 2021 at 9:31 PM

That’s it for me!
    I said before if there’s no takeover I’m not watching another season with that sycophantic manager and disgraceful owner and a CEO who I have never heard speak. 65 years support! Finished!
    Bye bye blog!

• TheTinman

Jul 19, 2021 at 9:31 PM

I just hope that the CAT case gets decided in July/ August. Can’t take any more can kicking down the road. It is taking a toll on our fan base

• TheTinman

Jul 19, 2021 at 9:32 PM

I bid thee well Moonraker. Hope to see you back!

• Optimistic prime

Jul 19, 2021 at 9:33 PM

WL

I’ve said a while if nothing happened by the end of this month beginning of next it wouldn’t happen.

This is what I’ve been waiting for.

Both sides have postured and talked shite for best part of a year.

At every opportunity they’ve pointed the finger at each other.

Yet now with another 5 month delay announced, it’s all very amicable.

Considering how desperate everyone was to get this show on the road and how “confident” all parties were, don’t you think the statement is mild to say the least.

I’d expect more than “neither party will comment further”

This is the end game for me, deal or no deal.

Ive chose to be positive, my positivity only needs to last a short while 😉 and I believe we’ll have a conclusion.

If it does fail, I won’t be massively gutted as the club needs to move on ASAP.

Sometimes it’s more what’s not said than said.

• coming home

Jul 19, 2021 at 9:36 PM

WL

• Aces-of-Eights

Jul 19, 2021 at 9:36 PM

Wltoon. I dunno what movie has a quote of “2 years” that’s as funny as one I found for “2 weeks”

• Nicky the ball tosser

Jul 19, 2021 at 9:36 PM

They really do need to go out and get two or three good one’s in after this.

They just can’t expect the fan base to sit patiently in support till this is resolved, after the last 5, 10, 15 years we’ve had under this owner.

Gotta give us something to cheer.

• Optimistic prime

Jul 19, 2021 at 9:36 PM

Two days

• TheTinman

Jul 19, 2021 at 9:37 PM

The statement posted by NUFC was probably agreed by both parties and also agreed nothing more can be said. This kind of thing can happen I’ve been involved in a dispute and sat in a meeting where both parties agreed on a statement to release to a newspaper and who it would come from.

• TheTinman

Jul 19, 2021 at 9:38 PM

Agree need a couple of big signings or they won’t sell any tickets.

• Davas28

Jul 19, 2021 at 9:39 PM

I hope OP is right in speculating that something might be happening in the background as it’s pretty miserable otherwise.
    I thought arbitration would be the quickest route to a takeover, if separation was proved.
    As for wanting the CAT first we don’t even know if it’s going to go ahead yet.

• Optimistic prime

Jul 19, 2021 at 9:40 PM

Just stop the court case and arbitration and let Masters and Ashley fight it out to the death in the centre circle next week.

£100 a ticket, all proceeds to the food bank.

• WLtoon

Jul 19, 2021 at 9:41 PM

OP,

Hmmm, i`m not sure at all about your thinking re TO but it`s a decent shout tbh
    Ile stay off the bus though, when i see Staveley walking into the cathedral wearing black n white it`s happy days.
    Tooth long in the tooth mate.

• Shelvey

Jul 19, 2021 at 9:41 PM

Takeover or no takeover, the smart thing to do now, is to invest in a few quality players who would be starters and would be a part of the squad even if a takeover happens. First one would be Willock. This nonsense about 10 millon pound is bullshit. Ofcourse there are more money available!! Did not spend anything in januar and the net spend last summer was not big.

• Optimistic prime

Jul 19, 2021 at 9:44 PM

WL

Something has to give.

We all know how it’s affecting the fan base.

The real worry is how it’s affecting the players and staff.

Can’t be good, I’d like to think this is the end game one way or the other as another season with ABC at the helm doesn’t bare thinking of.

• coming home

Jul 19, 2021 at 9:45 PM

OP

I’d only back that suggestion if it was sumo wrestling

• WLtoon

Jul 19, 2021 at 9:45 PM

coming home,

Short but to the point, nothing wrong with a bit of blind optimism i guess 😉

• lesh

Jul 19, 2021 at 9:46 PM

OP et al

Postponing the arbitration hearing might not be as bad as it appears.

Assuming the CAT panellists determine that Ashley’s case is within its jurisdiction, that hearing will determine whether EPL’s behaviour has been unfair.

If CAT say that it’s outside its jurisdiction, then that’s that, finito binito.

• coming home

Jul 19, 2021 at 9:47 PM

WL

It’s not much different to blind unoptimism

• Optimistic prime

Jul 19, 2021 at 9:49 PM

Here is the Trust’s letter to its members in full:

PROMOTED STORIES
    “This evening it was announced that the arbitration case between Newcastle United and the Premier League has been adjourned until early 2022 due to issues with the disclosure of evidence.

“In our view it is unacceptable that Newcastle United has been left in a state of limbo for 15 months by the Premier League’s opacity regarding the Owner and Director’s Test, and what actually happened last Summer. Another delay of at least six months reinforces the need for transparency across all aspects of this situation.

“In a scenario where the owner, the buyers, and the majority of the Newcastle United fan base want this deal to proceed (96.7% of Trust Members stated they were in favour of this takeover when polled), we are disappointed to see that further obfuscation is taking place. We believe that this entire saga emphasises the need for fundamental reform of football governance in the UK, and we will continue to explore all legitimate avenues available to the Trust to call for transparency in not just this issue but in all matters affecting our club.

“Newcastle United fans want this takeover because we want to believe in our club again, we want a club that competes, we want a club that tries to improve every single day and strives for sporting excellence. We don’t demand a team that wins; we demand a club that tries.

“That has not been the case at Newcastle United for a long time. The prospective buyers’ vision for Newcastle United is why the majority want this takeover to go ahead. Last Summer Richard Masters told the Trust that the Premier League’s role was to protect Newcastle United; we believe we deserve to see evidence of how they are achieving this.

“While we also await the outcome of the ongoing Competition Appeals Tribunal Case (CAT) a resolution needs to be found to allow a decision on this takeover to be made as soon as possible to allow Newcastle United to prosper.

“The Summer transfer window is also critical and the incumbent owner (and management) at Newcastle United must ensure the playing squad is strengthened sufficiently. Relegation to the Championship could be catastrophic.

“Newcastle United and our fans continue to be let down by people in positions of power. We deserve better.”

• WLtoon

Jul 19, 2021 at 9:51 PM

I doubt the PL will give two hoots about how the fans and players of the club are affected, they have far more important things to occupy their minds, like how to keep the cartel happy.
    Honestly, unless there IS something seriously going on in the background like you are thinking, then i think it`s certains.
    I doubt very much the Saudi`s will hang around for another 6 months, at least.
    I so much want you to be right.

• Optimistic prime

Jul 19, 2021 at 9:52 PM

Decent response from the NUST

• WLtoon

Jul 19, 2021 at 9:53 PM

coming home

Is that a word ha

• Aces-of-Eights

Jul 19, 2021 at 9:55 PM

Are nufc fans willing to do what man utd and chelsea fans did? Get the West Ham match stopped and not played ever until epl approve takeover

• Optimistic prime

Jul 19, 2021 at 9:55 PM

WL

I doubt they’ll hang around.

End game as I’ve said, I’m choosing to stay positive as the other is unbearable.

• coming home

Jul 19, 2021 at 9:56 PM

WL

I think I made it up lol

• Aces-of-Eights

Jul 19, 2021 at 9:56 PM

Wasnt it July last year when pif withdrew

• big bob

Jul 19, 2021 at 9:57 PM

Love how the coverage of the protest in London how sky never showed what was on the flag they show the flag but can’t make out what was on it

Sky only bothered about the so called big six

• WLtoon

Jul 19, 2021 at 9:57 PM

NUST statement won`t make a hapoth of difference

• coming home

Jul 19, 2021 at 9:59 PM

Aces

I don’t think they officially withdrew although they made a statement I think it was to save face
    Deal was done and don’t think Ash will allow it to withdraw

• Adamn_92

Jul 19, 2021 at 9:59 PM

I think the only thing we’ve heard from somebody close(ish) to the action, is from Merhdad who said:

‘There’s only one party playing games here #nufc #premierleague’

To me that would suggest that this delay is down to something the premier league has pulled. It would be strange for him to post that and essentially gloat if it was Ashley and co who had made this move. So for now I’m leaning on the side of another big delay move by the league, based on that. I’ll happily change that view if more information comes out to suggest otherwise.

• WLtoon

Jul 19, 2021 at 10:00 PM

I wonder if Staveley knew this was going to happen.
    She said in her interview that she wasn`t privy to what was going on in the arbo, or something to that effect, then Whammy, this bombshell.

• coming home