web analytics

Another Dark July For Newcastle United – Ashley Must Increase Transfer Budget Or Lower Inflated Asking Price

On Monday, Newcastle United announced that the main hearing of the arbitration case against the Premier League had been adjourned. Issues with the disclosure of evidence were cited as the reason.

The case was expected to start imminently but now has basically been indefinitely postponed. An estimate of ‘early 2022’ for the case’s resumption was provided as the potential timeframe.

Immediately after the announcement, Mehrdad Ghodoussi suggested this was more shenanigans from the Premier League.

However, there have been reports from some journalists, like The Telegraph’s Luke Edwards, that both sides failed to provide all the relevant evidence. Edwards has been consistently skeptical about this takeover since before the Saudi’s pulled out last summer.

It was another dark July day for the hopeful yesterday. Not as devastating as last year, but a deep disappointment for many.

There are a few potential silver linings. The Premier League is obviously playing the long game here. They are desperate to drag this along in the shadows for as long as it takes.

The goal seems to be to make the process the punishment and to exhaust Mike Ashley and the consortium into capitulation without having to reveal any of their potential misdeeds.

This suggests a lack of confidence in their evidence so if these proceedings ever get underway, it could be a positive outcome for Newcastle.

The second ‘potential’ positive is that Ashley could now be forced to invest in this squad. If he’s going to continue with the arbitration, he doesn’t want to risk being bottom of the table next Spring when the arbitration case gets underway.

So we’ll see if Ashley kicks a few more quid Steve Bruce’s way to keep Newcastle competitive while the arbitration case remains unsolved.

However, there is a chance that Ashley and the buyers just walk away. The Premier League has proven to be as unaccountable as a clandestine force pulling invisible strings. There seems to be no appetite by any institution to make them play by their own rules.

If Ashley truly wants to sell Newcastle, and not just make a massive profit, he could find a buyer quite easily by dropping his inflated asking price.

My focus remains firmly on backing Bruce and the boys. We have a great group of lads that requires a few quality additions ahead of what is likely to be another exacting season on Tyneside.

• TomaKaThor

Jul 20, 2021 at 12:52 PM

Why is Luke Edwards always pretending to know what’s going on

• cleveleysbob

Jul 20, 2021 at 12:52 PM

Tinman, sorry been off doing other stuff for a while but noticed Lesh gave you your answer so all good.

The important issue with CAT is twofold.

(a) it is public and,

(b) it has a predetermined timeframe with specific dates etc, given by the guy in charge.

So, if CAT determine that the PL is subject to the jurisdiction of CAT (which we’ll hear within next 2 weeks), then a timetable for the actual case hearing will be announced and my understanding is that the PL will not be able to delay that.

My belief (I know, conjecture 🙄 ) is that as soon as CAT tell the PL that jurisdiction applies then they’ll push for out of court settlement.

• Pit yacker

Jul 20, 2021 at 12:52 PM

I believe their is some positives in the CAT case proving dodgy behaviour of EPL but how does that get out takeover done? More likely mean an EPL mgmt restructured and review, possibly revamp of O&D test etc
    I understand the desire to show the EPL for the bunch they are but selfishly more bothered about a takeover
    Can someone explain how CAT makes takeover more likely?

• Jamesthefirst

Jul 20, 2021 at 12:54 PM

Piracy is not an issue. Saudi state was removed from the Piracy watch-list this year by Biden. So separation is no longer relevant.

PL represent 6 clubs, not 20. They are trying to protect their clients and not end the top six. Hoffman was interviewed by Liverpool and Spurs for the job. When he was appointed on June 1st, the takeover went to pieces.

CAT case is about proving a cartel run the English game. That is easy for even an average lawyer.

• cleveleysbob

Jul 20, 2021 at 12:55 PM

The CAT tribunal has a number of aims, the 1st of these is to get the takeover approved. CAT have the power to do this.

• Jamesthefirst

Jul 20, 2021 at 12:57 PM

To answer question about PL trying to delay the CAT Case:

They are not legally allowed to. Any party that tries to delay or cancel a CAT case is seen as guilty of said case and the opposing party is awarded the win.

PL have no power in CAT. They are absolutely screwed.

• Pit yacker

Jul 20, 2021 at 12:57 PM

Thanks Cleveleysbob – didn’t know CAT could approve takeover – that’s good news – cheers

• cleveleysbob

Jul 20, 2021 at 1:00 PM

A Competition Authority Tribunal (CAT) has an enormous amount of legal power at its disposal. It can force or stop takeovers, it can jail people for anti competitive behaviour, it can apply massive sanctions and huge fines up to (I believe) 20% of their annual turnover.

These should not be underestimated, and this is why the PL contested their jurisdiction.

It virtually all hangs on this result. If CAT agree with PL, I think we can all say goodnight and go home!

If CAT disagree with PL, then it’s all systems go, and they’ll be running for the hills. 🙂

• lesh

Jul 20, 2021 at 1:01 PM

WorB

Having watched the Wraith-Patterson update, the plank of the EPL argument that Ashley’s CAT application falls outside of CAT jurisdiction because the matter of the PIF-KSA connection is a matter for the Arbitration hearing, seems to have been removed when said hearing’s been delayed.

If my reasoning’s sound, then the CAT case should be clear to go.

I think

• TheTinman

Jul 20, 2021 at 1:04 PM

So basically CAT could view the O&D test and determine whether or not the deal should have went through and then force it through if PIF and Toon still want it.

Then they could tear Masters and Hoffers a new one.

• lesh

Jul 20, 2021 at 1:06 PM

Cleveleysbob

We seem to be agreeing about a lot these days. I’m worried and’ve booked an online GP appointment to discuss!

😉

• TheTinman

Jul 20, 2021 at 1:06 PM

How could Premier League who run a internationally acclaimed competition with huge public interest not be subject to CAT jurisdiction?

• Aces-of-Eights

Jul 20, 2021 at 1:07 PM

Red rose michelle said epl could try to delay cat case somehow. She said thats how lot of court cases go

• TheTinman

Jul 20, 2021 at 1:07 PM

Lesh, it’s couples counselling that you two need 😀

• TheTinman

Jul 20, 2021 at 1:07 PM

And Keith says to ignore all lawyers who are not competition experts.

• cleveleysbob

Jul 20, 2021 at 1:08 PM

Brilliant Lesh, it’s worrying all round, I currently think Gvmt is a bloody shambles, better get my check up booked too 😆

• lesh

Jul 20, 2021 at 1:11 PM

TheTinman

I’m not sure whether CAT can require the EPL to approve the O&D application and the takeover. I may be wrong but I’d think that CAT could determine an EPL action or process was flawed or wrongly applied and require the EPL to revisit the matter. If EPL refused to act in accordance with CAT requirements then the EPL could be in contempt of court and that’s when it becomes serious.

I think

• cleveleysbob

Jul 20, 2021 at 1:11 PM

Tinman, I worried about that too, I argue with Lesh more than with my missus! 🙂

• Aces-of-Eights

Jul 20, 2021 at 1:11 PM

Did Luke Edwards just tell Mark Douglas to die and called him ginger?

Also Sean Casey just wrote some interesting stuff about screenshots used by epl

• onmeedsun

Jul 20, 2021 at 1:13 PM

Then let’s hope the competition judge rules that the PL do fall within the jurisdiction of the CAT. It all seems to hinge on this. We just want clarity and to put a stop to this perpetual state of zombie limbo.

• Assassins Inc

Jul 20, 2021 at 1:18 PM

Easy fix, Prem doesn’t want to look like crooks, simple.
    Behind closed doors tell Mike to get Amanda to get the consortium to bid again and this time it goes through, if and when it does Mike drops the case.
    Everyone is happy at the table especially the people that deserve it, The Fans which both parties say is the most important thing in there business.

• mctoon

Jul 20, 2021 at 1:21 PM

Jamesthefirst

Yep, You sound very convincing, but ..

For the last eighteen months every legal action / move made by the consortium has been described as a ‘slam dunk’, which would lead to the ‘inevitable EPL surrender’.
    None of which has transpired.

I do however hope your right and we can bring an end to this nightmare, cos the only people currently enjoying this damaging saga are the lawyers and the so called ITK’s.

• lesh

Jul 20, 2021 at 1:23 PM

Cleveleysbob

@96

I hope you’re not trying to suck me into the poltix trap!

😐

• Mund

Jul 20, 2021 at 1:24 PM

I don’t think anyone is enjoying this.

If they are they certainly are not a Newcastle United fan

• lesh

Jul 20, 2021 at 1:25 PM

Tinman

By seeking couples counselling there’s an admission that we’re a couple. Yikes, I’m booking an appointment with a shrink!

• Mund

Jul 20, 2021 at 1:26 PM

Go on Mark!

Mark Douglas
    @MsiDouglas
    Replying to
    @LukeEdwardsTele
    I look at you and think of a word / Talk big but really you’re a cut-price Simon Bird / Rattling on here about you were my boss / When you walked the Journal’s gain was the Telegraph’s loss / Cried when Pardew got you banned / This takeover is your last stand

• DubaiMicky

Jul 20, 2021 at 1:29 PM

Handbags at dawn stuff there Mund!

• Mund

Jul 20, 2021 at 1:35 PM

Certainly is Micky 😆

But Edwards does have that effect

• Adamn_92

Jul 20, 2021 at 1:36 PM

Mark Douglas is The Bard confirmed.

• Mund

Jul 20, 2021 at 1:38 PM

Sean Casey
    @caseysean51
    Replying to
    @NUFC360
    Stop leading on the fans?
    My information I will stand over and be proving right the PL provided screenshots from the Saudi government website yesterday and they were laughed at by the arbitrator both sides were told go away make a deal or else come back with a decent case #nufc

• Adamn_92

Jul 20, 2021 at 1:41 PM

Could the league still claim CAT don’t have jurisdiction because arbitration is still there though? It’s been delayed not dropped, so couldn’t the league still try to claim that CAT have no jurisdiction as it’s a matter for arbitration?

I think CAT will side with us and say they do have jurisdiction, but I’m just curious.

• Mund

Jul 20, 2021 at 1:43 PM

They’ve already tried to get it thrown out and failed

• Adamn_92

Jul 20, 2021 at 1:45 PM

That Sean guy did say ‘I can 100% guarantee that arbitration will be finished before the end of August’. So even though I genuinely really hope that’s he’s correct with some of what he’s saying, I don’t think he’s particularly a reliable source of news.

• Adamn_92

Jul 20, 2021 at 1:46 PM

There is absolutely no chance he knows what the league showed the arbitrator as that’s 100% confidential.

• Toonces

Jul 20, 2021 at 1:46 PM

Like so many I am just deflated and exhausted with the takeover and this Arbo delay just is piling on.

Thing for me is the delay in the Arbo must be have been agreed between both NUFC and PL. My reasoning is that in my opinion there should be no way that Ashley’s team would go into the Arbo not prepared to disclose info and so they have decided not to. If NUFC was ready to disclose but the PL not, then surely it would have reflected poorly on the PL in the Arbo. So why would Ashley not be ready for disclosure? It would seem to be that his team decided it would be best not to.

Maybe this means an out of court solution is in the works.
    Maybe it means CAT is what Ashley wants and the only way to get the Arbo postponed until afterwards was to pull this stunt. But I don’t think the PL would want this.
    Maybe CAT will save us and expose the PL’s misdeeds but I think it will be less earth shattering.

It’s just exhausting. I hope it means an Out of Court solution will be reached and we can move forward.

Howay the Lads!

• Mund

Jul 20, 2021 at 1:47 PM

Is any ITK 100% reliable

• ilovetoon8788

Jul 20, 2021 at 1:54 PM

another season of ashley & bruce & 10m budget.

great.

• mctoon

Jul 20, 2021 at 1:59 PM

No not 100%..

I’d say probably only like 99.9% of it’s liable to be shi*e?

I am a dreamer though.

• cleveleysbob

Jul 20, 2021 at 2:03 PM

On a better note, I’m off to watch a Star Wars movie. Started yesterday with the worst one “The Phantom Menace”. No 2 today, then 9 more in total through saga and ‘side events’.

Keep me quiet for a few afternoons, and more importantly off here worrying and panicking about what comes next.

Hopefully, by the time I’m finished, we’ll know more. 🙂