web analytics

Midfielder Would Be A Very Good Addition Under The Circumstances

Late Wednesday, news broke that Newcastle have restarted talks with Southampton for Mario Lemina. The 27-year-old has been tracked by Newcastle’s scouting team for months but Mike Ashley was unwilling to sanction a cash deal due to him turning 28 in September.

The Saints want to offload their former-record signing who has spent the last two seasons away on loan. He’s in the final year of his contract and has been made available for a fraction of the fee Southampton paid for him four years ago.

In June, talks for Lemina broke down as Ashley wouldn’t part with the £4m required to bring him to St. James’ Park. However, he’s since been persuaded that in this market that is a massive bargain for a quality Premier League midfielder.

After Sunday’s defeat at York City, Steve Bruce revealed Newcastle were progressing on a couple of targets in addition to Arsenal’s Joe Willock. Bruce also expressed frustration with his depleted midfield proclaiming he was very short at the position.

Lemina could be one of the targets Bruce referenced over the weekend. If so, a deal could theoretically be worked out rather quickly. Southampton are willing sellers and they’ve set a very reasonable fee for the midfielder, who also has a standing offer from Ligue 1’s Nice.

Newcastle have reportedly offered a three-year contract to Lemina. Hopefully, there won’t be any issues on the midfielder’s part with the length of the deal. It would keep him on Tyneside until he was 30 which could work out well for Newcastle.

If this deal gets done, it almost certainly means Matty Longstaff will be made available for loan. It also gets dicey for Sean Longstaff’s chances in the first-team, and that would be even further complicated should Willock return on loan.

The brothers are entering the final year of their contracts with no breakthrough on long-term deals in sight. Their futures are very much up in the air at the moment and we could be in for more contract sagas this season.

However, competition is healthy and that is what Lemina will provide. He’s an upgrade on Jeff Hendrick, who was out of the team for the bulk of Newcastle’s late-season run in April and May.

Getting both Lemina and Willock will provide options galore for Bruce as they can battle Sean, Isaac Hayden, Jonjo Shelvey, Miguel Almiron, and Hendrick for minutes.

Former Arsenal striker Kevin Campbell reckons Lemina would be an excellent signing. This is what he told Football Insider when asked about the potential move and what it could mean for Willock, should he return on loan:

“I don’t think Newcastle fans need to worry about him being a direct replacement for Joe Willock. He plays in a deeper role.

“He is a holding midfielder who puts a tackle in, can battle and is very good on the ball. Lemina is a player who could bring some real stability to their midfield. I think he would be a great signing because he has proven that he can handle the Premier League.

“He could easily partner a Joe Willock because Willock is more of an attacking threat. A box-to-box type of player.

“I think they’d compliment each other well. I think they’ve got a chance of signing Lemina and Willock on loan.”

• Aces-of-Eights

Jul 22, 2021 at 11:01 AM

Soton want 8 mill

• Adamn_92

Jul 22, 2021 at 11:06 AM

Sorry Bills

The only references to transfers I saw you make were ‘Like any other fan I want us to be signing top players, competing for a top 6 place etc.’ and saying if the budgets is £10m (although you think it’s closer to £20m) then Lemina is the market we’re in. Nowhere did I see you mention wanting to improve the squad year after year or see you mention any form of wanting to improve the club in any way yearly, which must be why I didn’t get that message from you.

Why are you mentioning others fans opinions of us? I might genuinely be missing something but I thought we were talking about our fans opinions on the club?

I would have been too young to really remember the situation around SBR and his departure, but I can only assume it’s because there was genuine hope that we were capable of achieving better and climbing higher. So whilst I think it’s mad that fans were happy that he was gone, I don’t know if you can compare that era to the one we are currently in. Saying how daft does it seem now, are you suggesting it’s daft for what fans are wanting at this point in time, or what are you suggesting or trying to point out?

• Mund

Jul 22, 2021 at 11:07 AM

Neil agrees 🙂

• Ron Knee

Jul 22, 2021 at 11:08 AM

“Under The Circumstances…”

• barkel

Jul 22, 2021 at 11:09 AM

If we’re only playing 3 in midfield are we really that short? Hayden, Shelvey, M&S Longstaff, Hendrick, Miggy. I’m much more concerned about a lack of strikers that actually score goals over a DM. As we all know if Wilson gets injured who is going to score? Gayle or Joe?

• Adamn_92

Jul 22, 2021 at 11:10 AM

Barkel, don’t forget Willock too if he’s apparently incoming.

• Mund

Jul 22, 2021 at 11:11 AM

barkel

It’s not the numbers it’s the quality that’s the concern

• Mund

Jul 22, 2021 at 11:13 AM

You assume that getting rid of the great SBR was because there was genuine hope that we were capable of achieving better and climbing higher????

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Jul 22, 2021 at 11:14 AM

Hendrick is the worst part of that if he had have been at least half decent as a defensive midfielder we wouldn’t be needing to be spending money in that area

So unless he has a good pre season and suddenly turns into a world beater we have to cut our losses and loan him out our form only improved once Bruce realised he was dunga after the Brighton game and he stopped playing him

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Jul 22, 2021 at 11:18 AM

I remember being gutted when we got rid of Sir Bobby

Replacing him with Souness effectively sent our club on a downward spiral to where we are now

I often wonder how we would have done if we had replaced with one of the up and coming managers at the time such as Rafa or Jose instead and gave them the money Souness got……

• barkel

Jul 22, 2021 at 11:20 AM

I left Willock out because we’re not exactly known for closing deals!

I know it’s not the best midfield in the league but I’d be confident with a combination of most of them. With one obvious exception. Of course that depends of we’re going to try and play with the midfield instead of trying to completely by pass them.

If we’re going with 3 in the middle it’d have to be Hayden, Sean & Miggy. I’d replace Sean with Willock IF he signs

• Bills Son Is Back

Jul 22, 2021 at 11:21 AM

Adamn

I’ve supported the club for SIXTY YEARS man.

In that time I’ve seen us win ONE trophy – the Fairs Cup in 1969 – 52 years ago.

Every single year I’ve desperately wanted us to do better, desperately passionately wanted to see us win something ANYTHING even a League Cup.

I’ve stood on the terraces and seen us lose FA Cup semi finals, every FA Cup final and a League Cup final – had my heart literally almost broken watching Cantona score at SJP, losing 1-0, and then watching as my lifelong dream of us winning the league floundered over the remaining matches as Man U took the title.

And you imply I don’t want us to improve every season…

You have absolutely no idea how far off the mark that is.

I’m 68 in 5 weeks. If I’m on my deathbed and I haven’t seen NUFC win a trophy it will be one of the biggest regrets of my life. Seriously.

Posters can say anything they like about my opinions…

But never, ever, doubt that I am a fan with a capital F.

• Not another deJong

Jul 22, 2021 at 11:24 AM

Stirring stuff from Henry Winter

• Adamn_92

Jul 22, 2021 at 11:24 AM

Mund

Had i been older and a more passionate football fan at the time, i’ve no doubt I would have been heartbroken to have the great SBR leave. I know there were no end of rumours of board interference, player fall outs and big personalities like Bellamy and Dyer etc.

The point I was making probably didn’t come across well. Bills said fans were happy when he left, so I said I can only assume that’s because at the time there was still more hope for what the club could achieve. Even though we lost SBR maybe another good manager could come in and we could still go on to climb high or even higher. I am talking about why potentially fans were happy at the time, not the actual reason behind SBR leaving. Whilst I don’t agree with the fans reaction at the time, you can understand why maybe they still had hope for high things as opposed to expectations of fans now.

• onmeedsun

Jul 22, 2021 at 11:24 AM

LCBP
    Poor decision making has blighted this club for half a century. Dalgleish, Gullit, Souness, JFK, McLaren, Bruce, not to mention the plethora of players bought for big fees and wages who delivered sweet FA for the club. Compare and contrast with say Leicester. Very few poor decisions. Who is responsible for this? The clueless owners we’ve had.

• Adamn_92

Jul 22, 2021 at 11:26 AM

Bills

I never doubted you’re a fan or a positive one, which it sounds like you most definitely are. I was just pointing out that I couldn’t have been able to tell you wanted us to improve each season as nothing in your replies to me really suggested or put that message across. I hope just as much as you that we can have some glory days back soon. I’d never doubt if you or anyone on this blog was a passionate fan. We all have different views and opinions on here, but one thing for sure is we all support the club with passion.

• Optimistic prime

Jul 22, 2021 at 11:31 AM

Anglo

It’s obvious who and what sort of character you are.

Jail offers sympathies and you go on the attack.

What a tw@t you are.

• Ron Knee

Jul 22, 2021 at 11:34 AM

“Eric Clapton refuses to play venues that require proof of vaccination”

No fool like an old fool.

• Mund

Jul 22, 2021 at 11:38 AM

Heard the spokesperson

• Anglosaxon

Jul 22, 2021 at 11:50 AM

OP see where your loyalties lie, with jail, mine is with NUFC and the whole of this blog make no mistake mate.
    And just to get things straight, Jail started that fracas yesterday trying to pester Tom and does it on many occasions with other posters, thinks he’s top dog pitiful to say the least.

• bettyswallocks

Jul 22, 2021 at 11:51 AM

Lesh ……… Thanks for the advice but I won’t be asking myself any questions re the rudeness. As I said this is is a Geordie Football Blog not a ladies Embroidery Forum.
    However if I have offended you in any way I would like to offer my sincere heartfelt apologies.

• onmeedsun

Jul 22, 2021 at 11:51 AM

NADJ
    Good interview with Winter. He gets us as does Caulkin. I trust those 2 100% but not many others.
    Top journos.

• Anglosaxon

Jul 22, 2021 at 12:04 PM

And OP you have TOM singing from the rafters regards his granddaughters great news, and you get a BELL END coming at him with abuse, think you need to look at your so-called mates.

• bettyswallocks

Jul 22, 2021 at 12:04 PM

onmeesun @16….. Nail on’t head lad.

• geordie157

Jul 22, 2021 at 12:06 PM

If its 4-6 million for Lemina then it’s decent business.

But….I really hope its not to replace Hayden. Lemina would be good competition/cover for him.

Loan out Matty if we can bring in Lemina and Willock.

We need to shift Hendrick somehow!

• bettyswallocks

Jul 22, 2021 at 12:07 PM

Ron Knee………… Chacun son idee mon gar.

• Jamesthefirst

Jul 22, 2021 at 2:20 PM

According to reports at lunchtime today we have just bought Lemina for £7 million, and Southampton are using the funds towards buying Adam Armstrong.

Why for the love of god didn’t we just bring Armstrong back here.