web analytics

Newly Reported Asking Price For Midfielder Could Be A Cause For Concern

Steve Bruce mentioned ‘one or two things bubbling away’ on Sunday after the York City friendly. His reference to being very short in the midfield hinted at other midfielders in addition to Joe Willock being targetted.

There have been reports since the weekend that Newcastle are in discussions for three midfielders. Conor Gallagher is a loan option with him not ready to break into Chelsea’s formidable midfield.

The other two targets would be permanent signings. Jens Cajuste is a Swedish international playing for the Danish club Midtjylland. The 21-year-old fits Newcastle’s profile but would come at a steep price.

French club Rennes have already had a £10m bid knocked back forcing them to move on to other targets. Midtjylland are holding out for around £12-13m for their defensive midfielder with five Premier League clubs including Newcastle on his trail.

Last night, news surfaced that Newcastle were back in for Southampton’s Mario Lemina. Newcastle exited talks last month after Mike Ashley refused to sanction a cash deal for the 27-year-old.

The Mail claimed The Magpies are in discussions over a £4m deal while offering Lemina a three-year contract. However, The Athletic is reporting that Southampton want £8m for the player they paid over £15m for in 2017.

That could change everything Lemina is no longer a bargain at that fee considering he has just one year left on his contract.

This is a distressing update for a club that has made no first-team additions ahead of next season. If Ashley is willing to part with £8m for Lemina then great. Watford and Nice are also in the running so the competition could keep his price tag higher than initially reported.

This higher fee may only serve to delay Lemina’s departure. He has not been handed a squad number at St Mary’s though has been involved in training. Maybe Newcastle can split the difference with a £6m offer to get Lemina in quickly.

The Chronicle claims Bruce is confident of two or three signings within the next couple of weeks. But with the window open until August 31st, Ashley may be tempted to wait it out to see if he can lower the price tags of some of his targets.

Whatever the case may be, nothing seems imminent at the moment.

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 22, 2021 at 3:28 PM

I can’t believe you actually said that magscar. The bloke was indeed 71 years old, he’d beaten cancer a couple of times and obviously wasn’t getting any younger yet you claim it was ‘interesting’ that he never got another job like it was some kind of justification for his sacking. I’m actually quite taken aback unless I’ve misunderstood you!

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Jul 22, 2021 at 3:29 PM

I think what Everton do lack is pace in the wide areas and in midfield their midfield was so much slower than ours when we beat them

So signing those 2 should help with that but yeah not overly impressed so far

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 22, 2021 at 3:33 PM

LCBP,
    I think by the end of this of this window we might be green with envy over signings like Gray and Townsend 🙁

• Just a Skinny Steve Bruce

Jul 22, 2021 at 3:33 PM

Jarrod Bowen linked with Liverpool. We were stupid not to sign him.

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 22, 2021 at 3:35 PM

JaSSB,
    That must mean they are getting Lingard if he moves.

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 22, 2021 at 3:38 PM

Everton are training in Florida, we’re in Doncaster 😮

• Just a Skinny Steve Bruce

Jul 22, 2021 at 3:38 PM

I’d guess Lingaard to West Ham. He was their Willock last season.

• Mund

Jul 22, 2021 at 3:39 PM

Rafa signing proven PL players and we all know how well he gets the best out of players.

Be a well drilled side with pace and creativity

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 22, 2021 at 3:39 PM

The football Olympics has kicked off, Richarlson hatrick in Brazil 4-2 win over Jormany.

• Mund

Jul 22, 2021 at 3:41 PM

Let’s see if these words carry any weight

Oliver Dowden
    @OliverDowden
    Grateful to
    @tracey_crouch
    for her update on the fan-led review of football.

Now is the time to take a wide-ranging look at reform of the game and I will not hesitate to take bold steps where necessary.

• onmeedsun

Jul 22, 2021 at 3:44 PM

Everton can’t spend much without falling foul of the FFP rules, due to their excessive losses in previous seasons. We on the other hand could rack up losses for a few seasons, but we need someone prepared to invest. Eventually we’d have to be self sufficient so even if the consortium do buy us our revenues would have to increase significantly to be able to compete at the top 6 level.

• Rotonda heights

Jul 22, 2021 at 3:50 PM

Bobby clark to liverpool. Top, top prospect. Club is properly screwed. Probably saw the bruce’s treatment of the longstaffs and anderson and thought I’m out of here.

• carltoon

Jul 22, 2021 at 3:59 PM

Oliver Dowden!, I won’t hold me breath, but let’s see if he does the right thing.

• carltoon

Jul 22, 2021 at 4:00 PM

Is that Lee’s son, ?

• scott

Jul 22, 2021 at 4:02 PM

Just kinda been forced into playing a game of 7 a side against lads in their mid 20’s
    First time in about 8 years!

Things I learned from the experience.
    1 used to be a pacey little winger, NO longer pacey!
    2 legs don’t like carrying my extra timber round any faster than walking!
    3 young,fast tricky players are tw@ts!
    4 young, fast tricky players are tw@ts (yes I know iv put that twice,I’m still annoyed 🙂 )
    5 my brain tells me I’m still 18 my body says I couldn’t climb a flight of stairs!
    6 my body will punish me severely tomorrow morning!
    7 I should never be so stupid to try this again!

GOOD POINTS
    first touch,range of passing,shooting,passing accuracy & football brain still there!
    Oh & how to get away with dirty fouls against young,fast,tricky players is definitely still there! 😉

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Jul 22, 2021 at 4:04 PM

Suppose to be targets and being greedy..
    If we could get Willock, Lemina, Gallagher and Pereira in on loan/sign then we would have a canny mobile midfield –
    Need another goalscorer tho

• toon22

Jul 22, 2021 at 4:06 PM

Magscar

Yeh SBT was terrible wasnt he
    Just a typical view of your average toon supporter ?

Its never the turds fault Magscar

• toon22

Jul 22, 2021 at 4:07 PM

SBR !!!

Too close to t

• Mund

Jul 22, 2021 at 4:08 PM

Newcastle United FC
    @NUFC
    Handshake #NUFC can confirm that Florian Lejeune has completed a permanent move to Alavés for an undisclosed fee.

We thank
    @lejeune_florian
    for his efforts, both on and off the pitch, throughout his time at the club and wish him well for the future.

• lesh

Jul 22, 2021 at 4:10 PM

Mund

Unless I’ve missed something about Tracey Crouch’s interim report, the language used in the [tweeted] section of it that referred to governance, she’s used the words [to] address such issues as O&D tests. My reading of that paragraph is the regulator could oversee consistent application rather than administer such governance matters.

However, were the regulator to have control of and administer O&D tests for example, it would mean one test to cover all bodies involved in English football – consistency in application.

So, it may well be your question has lot going for it.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Jul 22, 2021 at 4:11 PM

Can hardly blame Clark for wanting to leave Liverpool would provide a much better education even if they don’t play him

Bruce will never give a young player from the academy a chance because they need coaching and guidance Willock only done well because he has already been coached elsewhere and just did his own thing

Would like to think Jones would know the value of having young energy in the team Elliot Anderson and Matty need loaned out if they aren’t going to feature

• Mund

Jul 22, 2021 at 4:14 PM

Scott 😆

Been there mate. If you keep it up week and week out it does get easier but the aches and pains are just the same, no escaping that.

I went about 6 years without playing and when I did and just like you my brain thought I was an 18 year old 🙁 Got back into tho, eventually 😀