web analytics

Ashley’s Early Reluctance Looks To Have Cost Newcastle A Chance At Midfielder

Southampton midfielder Mario Lemina has reportedly arrived in France tonight ahead of a move to Nice. Newcastle had recently reopened talks for the 27-year-old after Mike Ashley refused to sanction a cash deal last month.

RMC Sport journalist Loic Tanzi, who initially reported Newcastle’s interest in Midtjylland’s Jens Cajuste, has tweeted the following which roughly translates to:

Mario Lemina arrived in Nice this evening to commit for three years with OGC Nice in the coming days

Reports varied on how much Southampton wanted for Lemina, who in 2017 was their record signing from Juventus for £15.4m. Nice had been negotiating a deal for the Gabon international for some time.

On Wednesday evening, The Mail broke the news of Newcastle re-entering talks for the midfielder. Simon Jones wrote the following in his report:

Lemina has a good offer from Nice who have bid around £3.5m so Newcastle have had to move swiftly to try and convince him to remain in the Premier League.

It appears that Newcastle did not move swiftly enough to convince Lemina to come to Tyneside. Tutto Mercato journalist Marco Conterio is claiming that Nice will pay just €4m for the midfielder, which equates to around £3.5m.

This has been a very disappointing week for Newcastle fans. Any resolution to the stalled takeover has been delayed until next year. Joe Willock’s return doesn’t look to be imminent which was hinted at in reports last week. Young phenom Bobby Clark could be poached by Liverpool. Now we’ve lost out on a quality midfielder due to Ashley’s restrictive transfer policy.

• carltoon

Jul 22, 2021 at 10:52 PM

Jane! He gets the blame for most things on here, so why not! Just join the queue. 🙄

• NY Mag

Jul 22, 2021 at 10:53 PM

Jane,

If you post something that’s clearly your opinion……then sure, you have to stand behind that.

If you post a clear copy/paste from someone else without comment……then it’s not an opinion.

That’s just my opinion on opinions…….. 😀 😀

• coming home

Jul 22, 2021 at 10:56 PM

So has Lamina signed for nice ?

• carltoon

Jul 22, 2021 at 11:00 PM

Was Lamina any good, I’ve missed so much football over the last year and a half, i can’t remember any players from other teams, what a disgrace. I knew most players in the PL,

• NY Mag

Jul 22, 2021 at 11:01 PM

Carltoon,

I haven’t……initial searches would suggest that a £7m spend in the last 10 years isn’t true.

I’m actually intrigued by it……from what I’ve researched, it ranges from 150-250M

That’s obviously dwarfed by the “big” guys, of which we once were, but are not anymore.

• cleveleysbob

Jul 22, 2021 at 11:02 PM

Jail, from earlier. I was a Star Wars fan from going to cinema for “A New Hope” with one of my kids and I’ve kinda stuck with it despite some of the individual movies being stinkas. 😉

The story (like most sagas) is immense in scope and background and I’ve enjoyed how it’s developed. I never watched “the clone wars”, which is a cartoon series I’ve never fancied it but it’s had good reviews. Now that Disney own the whole thing, it’s getting better again and the introduction of new TV series like the Mandalorian is great. They’ve got more Series in the pipeline, plus a new series of movies in planning, but the Starwalker story is over.

• coming home

Jul 22, 2021 at 11:04 PM

NY

I think the 7 million net spend was only the Rafa years

• only one bobby robson

Jul 22, 2021 at 11:06 PM

There’s only one Sir Bobby Robson there’s not one manager in the world at the minute would be fit enough to tie Sir Bobby’s boot laces, player , manager ,friend , husband , Dad and in that order as well

• lochinvar

Jul 22, 2021 at 11:07 PM

Rafa really splashing the cash now.
    Is he saving up for a bigger buy to complete the picture ?

Everton have signed Bayer Leverkusen winger Demarai Gray on a three-year deal for fee understood to be £1.7m

• Mund

Jul 22, 2021 at 11:08 PM

OOBR

Here here

• only one bobby robson

Jul 22, 2021 at 11:09 PM

Right off the season then let’s go and support Durham ladies , who are very good footballing side , otherwise stop wingeing get behind the team let’s think about things if people weren’t getting behind you would you be able to get results no chance not managers or players fault .

• cleveleysbob

Jul 22, 2021 at 11:10 PM

NY, don’t want to get in way of your research, but doesn’t T22’s rants refer to nett spend, ie after sales are taken into account?

You’re not implying we have a nett spend of £250M are you?

Also, I’m sure I read somewhere that the nett spend during Ashley’s time was £7M per year average, not just £7M total.

Could also all be bollocks, it’s late and my memories crap, let me know if you can tie down some accurate figures? Cheers. 🙂

• cleveleysbob

Jul 22, 2021 at 11:12 PM

Carltoon, those scars are on upper thigh and hip joint, sure you want to see them? 😀

• NY Mag

Jul 22, 2021 at 11:13 PM

Bob,

Star Wars….It’s the first memory of going to the cinema I have….my big sis took me to watch it with her then boyfriend.

Of course, he’s now my brother-in-law and one of my best friends for almost 40 years 🙂

• The Wife

Jul 22, 2021 at 11:14 PM

NY Mag,

Did I hear that right? You want a job on the blog?

I’d gladly make you a moderator. The pay is shite, though. 😆

• The Wife

Jul 22, 2021 at 11:15 PM

And, you may need a therapist…..

• lochinvar

Jul 22, 2021 at 11:17 PM

Dubai

Season Tickets – we took the 100% refund for the whole of last season which has been credited to us.

Others had taken refunds in part payments over the last few months.

New season – will start paying monthly DD’s end of this month, so basically making part payments a month in advance ( which is less onerous than normal where you paid more in advance)

Some might have used the refund due money to just be transferred in total to next seasons payment – the whole shebang up front.

Government because covid is out of control in the under 30’s may restrict crowds to max 20,000 and only those who have a double jab vacination passport.

With Bruce in charge that’s about our capacity anyway for next season.
    More likely to p$ss off Man Ure who will loose 50,000 fan revenue per game and even up visiting team chances. Good !

• cleveleysbob

Jul 22, 2021 at 11:18 PM

Oobr, I know what your saying about support and getting behind the team, but you also need “special” players that can respond to 50k screaming Geordies. Many have wilted under the pressure.

It will be interesting to see how Murphy gets on this year. When crowds were in he disappeared, but flourished late last season with empty stadium. Hopefully, he’s got his confidence back and plays great.

• coming home

Jul 22, 2021 at 11:18 PM

Actually I’m wrong

Rafas net spend was -£26.45M so he made a profit of 26.45M

• NY Mag

Jul 22, 2021 at 11:18 PM

Bob,

According to transfermakt…..which as far as I’m aware is fairly reliable.

We’ve had a nett spend over the last 10 years of ~£190M….that sounds quite high to me, I actually thought it would be lower, but it’s nowhere near £7M

• jane

Jul 22, 2021 at 11:19 PM

“stop wingeing get behind the team”

agreed fans should do this.

• cleveleysbob

Jul 22, 2021 at 11:19 PM

The Wife @ 95, bloody funny, but should have been moderated 😆

• jane

Jul 22, 2021 at 11:21 PM

“We’ve had a nett spend over the last 10 years of ~£190M”

i thought that was a minus sign at first.

• coming home

Jul 22, 2021 at 11:22 PM

Maclarens net spend in 1 season was 95.95m

• cleveleysbob

Jul 22, 2021 at 11:23 PM

NY, wow that’s actually quite impressive in the MA era, nearly £20M per season average. Doubt any fans would believe that 🙂

• cleveleysbob

Jul 22, 2021 at 11:25 PM

CH, haha what league do they play in? 😉

• Nicky the ball tosser

Jul 22, 2021 at 11:25 PM

The Ashley years. Gross spend probably actually higher than many think, although net spend negligible, but most tellingly, stature clearly declining. Every year, we get that bit smaller.

• cleveleysbob

Jul 22, 2021 at 11:26 PM

Obvious answer, the big league ! 🙂

• DubaiMicky

Jul 22, 2021 at 11:27 PM

Cheers lochinvar, so much bullshit kicking around, makes a change to actually here from a true season ticket holder.

Thank you.

• carltoon

Jul 22, 2021 at 11:27 PM

Bob, i may have to pass on that. I thought it was on your knee , when we meet up I’ve got a fantastic storey on STAR WARS.

• cleveleysbob

Jul 22, 2021 at 11:28 PM

Carltoon, can’t wait. 🙂

For both, meeting and story 😉

• Mund

Jul 22, 2021 at 11:28 PM

NY gets my vote as moderator

• coming home

Jul 22, 2021 at 11:30 PM

Bob

I guess iv spelled it wrong lol
    I meant shteeve mclaren

• cleveleysbob

Jul 22, 2021 at 11:30 PM

Right O, knocking off now, night all, be kind, chat tomorrow – another day in the Saga that is NUFC, we should get George Lucas to make a movie of it. 🙂

• NY Mag

Jul 22, 2021 at 11:31 PM

The wife,

I said it tongue in cheek…I actually don’t want to be a moderator on this blog.

However, I’d gladly try and help you and Neil (and Ed of course) to look at ways of expanding the scope of the blog (gratis, no shite pay required 🙂 )

• cleveleysbob

Jul 22, 2021 at 11:32 PM

CH, that’s funny, I never gave him a thought for 1 second 😆

• carltoon

Jul 22, 2021 at 11:32 PM

Goodnight Bob.

• jane

Jul 22, 2021 at 11:34 PM

good luck with the test NY Mag i hope you pass

• NY Mag

Jul 22, 2021 at 11:36 PM

Mund,

I know you like your film quotes…..

“Great power comes with great responsibility”

I don’t want that responsibility 🙁
    Sorry…..

• magic hat

Jul 22, 2021 at 11:38 PM

Everybody claps on about net transfer spend and completely ignores wages. Like they magically get paid.

Yes investment would show a bigger net transfer spend and our net spend is reduced by the buy cheap develop and sell attempts… Sissoko, Cabaye, etc.. But the club has also wasted loads on wages of players they brought in cheap then never or rarely ever used….
    you may get £100m in tv money per year. but if you have 25 guys earning an average of £40k per week plus bonuses for 52 weeks a year thats £52M gone before you pay bonuses or any of the other staff and etc. I think part of the problem is also how do we tempt decent players to join us? Callum and Maxi were great signings and reasonably good value to boot. But who better could we bring in that would actually come?