web analytics

Bruce Reveals Star Trio Could Play Against Norwich But Has Disappointing Update On Defender

Newcastle snuck in a surprise pre-season friendly at Turf Moor on Tuesday. Burnley won the match 1-0 as Newcastle were missing quite a few players through illness and injury. It was a decent run out nonetheless as a number of youngsters got some more time on the pitch.

Jonjo Shelvey made his pre-season debut after missing all four of the previous friendlies. The 29-year-old injured his calf during the close season and is in a fight to be ready for the opener at West Ham next Sunday.

Steve Bruce spoke to NUFC TV after the friendly and gave the following response when asked about Shelvey’s run out:

“It’ll be decent for Jonjo. He’s had a real tough time with getting injured before we even started.

“It was cruel for him so he’s got to try and make it up somewhere. He’s on the road to recovery.”

Newcastle are still short in the midfield even with Shelvey’s return. The prevailing hope is that Joe Willock returns this season in some capacity. Newcastle are just not the same team without a player of his ability in the midfield.

Bruce did provide a positive update on three of our star players. Miguel Almiron is back from holiday this week. Both Callum Wilson and Allan Saint-Maximin should be ok for the next friendly against Norwich this weekend.

This is Bruce’s update on the trio:

“Well, Almiron will now start with the group which is good. He’s back.

“Then, of course, we’ve got the illness to Saint-Maximin which we hope by the weekend will be ok. Callum we hope will be ok.

“Yes, we’ve got a few missing but the ones who played, in particular, good for them.”

The news is not so good for Paul Dummett. The defender’s struggles with injuries continue as Bruce didn’t sound very positive when asked about the local lad.

Dummett missed the friendly at Burton Albion last Friday with a calf injury and it looks very doubtful he’ll be back for West Ham. Though his absence could provide an opportunity for Kell Watts.

This is what Bruce said about Dummett’s injury:

“Unfortunately, he’s nicked his calf at Doncaster the other night. It’s a shame really because he’s had a really good three weeks. We’ve been unfortunate in that department.”

Finally, Bruce was asked about Yoshinori Muto, who left the club by mutual consent on Tuesday. Bruce wished the 29-year-old the best of luck and confirmed reports that he was in talks to return to Japan.

“I want to wish the kid the best of luck. It’s not really happened for him in England. Not for the want of trying, I have to tell you. He’s a smashing pro.

“I wish him the best of luck wherever he turns up. “I believe he’s thinking of going home which I think is probably best for him too. So I wish him the best of luck.”

• Mister Tuff

Aug 4, 2021 at 3:20 PM

dubai – now that post at #130 is possibly what I want to hear. Hope there is something in it.

• Asi Fish

Aug 4, 2021 at 3:21 PM

Need a strong 11 starting on Sat with no new injuries please.

• Mund

Aug 4, 2021 at 3:22 PM

Engee is a WUM but it’s what I’m hearing.

Not from just one person and that’s why I shared.

If it was just one person saying it I wouldn’t of put it up but it’s more than one.

• Davas28

Aug 4, 2021 at 3:23 PM

Is this it?

1. A Person shall be disqualified from acting as a Director and no Club shall be
    permitted to have any Person acting as a Director of that Club if:
    F.1.1. in relation to the assessment of his compliance with Rule F.1 (and/or any
    similar or equivalent rules of The Football League or The Football
    Association) at any time, he has:
    F.1.1.1. failed to provide all relevant information (including, without
    limitation, information relating to any other individual who
    would qualify as a Director but has not been disclosed, including
    where he or they are acting as a proxy, agent or nominee for
    another Person); or
    F.1.1.2. provided false, misleading or inaccurate information;

• DubaiMicky

Aug 4, 2021 at 3:26 PM

Davas, I guess that would be it, so they are suggesting that the information has been received?

Would make sense I suppose that there has been nothing from consortium at all I guess.

• lochinvar

Aug 4, 2021 at 3:28 PM

Bruce

If it was covid Bruce now thinks 3 days will suddenly fix it. Fatique related illness takes alot of time and very careful management of the recovery otherwise you haves relapse.

Just hope some medical advice is being listened to

• Mund

Aug 4, 2021 at 3:30 PM

As if Pereira has went to Saudi to play.

• Asi Fish

Aug 4, 2021 at 3:31 PM

Wasn’t ASM a close contact of someone testing positive?

If so he would need to isolate for 10 days surely?

I’ll ask the guy on Twitter who’s wife sold him some furniture……..hold my drink……….

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Aug 4, 2021 at 3:39 PM

So it’s looking like we’re kicking off the new season with a threadbare squad that is already suffering from injuries before we even kick-off.

Short in defence, short in midfield, short in attack managed by an incompetent numpty.

It’s going to be a long season folks.

• Mund

Aug 4, 2021 at 3:41 PM

Ruddy

On the plus side we have Jones, Wilson, Maxi, Miggy and an improved Murphy,

If we can keep our forward line fit and on the field we should be ok.

Still believe we will bring a few in and still believe Willock will be back.

Put all together I’m confident it won’t be as difficult as last year. We finished last season strongly and hopefully we can start in the same nature.

It’s the hope that kills us tho right? 🙁

• Davas28

Aug 4, 2021 at 3:43 PM

Dubai Mickey

I don’t know what it means. That’s all about a director being disqualified.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Aug 4, 2021 at 3:43 PM

Bills

Yes it is piece work, if you are interested you should contact Charnley.

• Bills Son Is Back

Aug 4, 2021 at 3:45 PM

EGB

I did…

But toon22 was ahead of me in the queue.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Aug 4, 2021 at 3:47 PM

Has G2 persuaded TFG to invest in some Belgium dwarves? 🙂

• Bills Son Is Back

Aug 4, 2021 at 3:48 PM

Ruddy – you say; Bills, I’m twisting nothing, nor do I have an agenda – then you say – I think it’s a bit of a fool’s errand to try and justify Bruce’s shortcomings by drawing comparisons with Rafa. Perhaps it’s somewhat unfair for slating Bruce for things that Rafa may have done, but that’s the rub. Rafa had endless goodwill from the fans because he earned it from us. Bruce hasn’t.

So I’m on a fools errand?

You are the fool if you think that.

And more the fool for saying you haven’t got an agenda in one sentence and then proving you have in another.

Another poster I’ll ignore from now on.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Aug 4, 2021 at 3:48 PM

Mund

I’m not hopeful of anything, I go into every season praying we somehow scrap, scrape, beg, borrow or steal enough points to keep us up.

We are too reliant on individual moments of brilliance to win us games, and while we ended last season in great form, we can’t underestimate how vital Willock was in this.

We need 15+ goals from Wilson and someone else to step up with 5-10 next season and we should be OK. I struggle to see where this is coming from though.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Aug 4, 2021 at 3:48 PM

Bills

That’s strange, It was him who hired me!

• Mund

Aug 4, 2021 at 3:51 PM

Ruddy

Just a quick lesson on the blog 😉

I’m the forever optimist 🙂

It’s a shit show! Short and simple.

I try to look for the good in everything. There is positives but the negatives out weigh then 10-1.

By the end of the window will be a huge deciding factor for me and how I see this season panning out, until then I just hope we bring in what we need.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Aug 4, 2021 at 3:54 PM

Bills

What agenda do I have? I don’t hide the fact that I wish to see Ashley leave the club, I don’t hide the fact that I, like many fans, liked the fact that Rafa stood up to Ashley and engaged him in PR games to get what he wanted and needed. Rafa accumulated goodwill from the fans by standing up for us, Bruce has exhausted any goodwill he may have had from fans by parroting PR lines from the club at us.

I do feel it’s a fool’s errand to justify Bruce’s shortcomings and weaknesses by making comparison’s to Rafa, it serves only to distract from the poor job that Bruce is doing. In any case, Bruce will always come out looking even worse in any comparison to Rafa because Rafa was vastly superior to Bruce in *every conceiveable way*

You have gone from being very cordial, glad to see me back posting etc. to ignoring me from now on all within the space of an hour. Bit much I think.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Aug 4, 2021 at 3:58 PM

Mund

Even if we were to somehow bring in 2 or 3 players all within the next few weeks, the season is starting in 10 days, we’re already well into pre-season. Any injuries or new signings will take weeks, sometimes months, to get up to full speed by which time the course is already being set for the season.

Leaving transfer business late is always a bad idea. We don’t have large squads where we can rotate players so what we’ve got will be what carries us through until the end of the season with the odd loan signing as patchwork.

I am not an optimist, I’m a realist who hopes against reason that we will stay up every season but doubts our ability to do so. As has been the case these past few seasons, it will rely on there being 3 worse teams than us rather than our own ability to keep ourselves up.

• cleveleysbob

Aug 4, 2021 at 3:59 PM

The rumour (as that’s what it is) on TO is that rule F1.1.1 has either been satisfied (as this was the original sticking point re:MBS) or changed (re written) or overruled. Any of these (if true) would allow the TO to proceed immediately on confirmation.

Not holding my breath, but as always hopeful.

• cleveleysbob

Aug 4, 2021 at 4:02 PM

Arsenal want Maddison and a player plus cash deal is being considered. The question is what player would Leicester want and would Arsenal play ball?

Hopefully, Willock isn’t the pawn in this chess game.

• captainmarvel

Aug 4, 2021 at 4:20 PM

Bob, re. Comment at 21, (huge if), it were true, we would assume both court cases would be then dropped?

• Mund

Aug 4, 2021 at 4:24 PM

Captain

The talk is that the consortium are back at the table taking part in the O&D tests so I would imagine if true both cases will be dropped.

• cleveleysbob

Aug 4, 2021 at 4:27 PM

Captain, I think arbitration would be ceased immediately, the CAT would depend on how vengeful Ashley felt towards the PL as it includes the option of him getting compensation.

If (and agree it’s a big if) this is happening, it probably means that some evidence was capable of embarrassing the PL so they’ve agreed to a “deal”. In this case, both legal cases will stop on confirmation. All conjecture though, and might be a massive dose of BS.

Handle info with care 😀

• Optimistic prime

Aug 4, 2021 at 4:31 PM

Rule 118 118

Until the SD signs are down and the clubs officially sold its just another day at the office for Nufc fans.

Toon 22 could be right though 😉

• captainmarvel

Aug 4, 2021 at 4:33 PM

Haha..How very true, although dropping both cases is a massive carrot to the PL as it would allow them a free reign to carry on as before until things change through the fans review that is..
    As for Ashley, I would imagine it would be part of any deal that he drops his compensation case too..
    However, we could be whistling in the wind…

• Adamn_92

Aug 4, 2021 at 4:33 PM

Ruddy

I think it’s because you pointed out the dates of Rafas and Moyes comments and proved he was wrong.

Hope there’s some truth in the recent rumours going round at the moment, it’d definitely be a huge surprise.

• captainmarvel

Aug 4, 2021 at 4:35 PM

Is that right in the head?

• Zhongguo Geordie

Aug 4, 2021 at 4:42 PM

Well done to Mund for ignoring today’s poem. They were funny at first, but maybe they’ve run their course now.

• Nufc 4ever

Aug 4, 2021 at 4:47 PM

I read the blog every day but rarely comment. What a load of rubbish the arbitration not until 2022 up to know. To come up with the latest tittle tattle is absolutely garbage. Oh yes they will pass it asap. Utter dross

• hibbit

Aug 4, 2021 at 4:49 PM

Pray to god this is true, otherwise its just another massive kick in the balls from some wum or other having a field day at our fans expense,

• Zorro

Aug 4, 2021 at 5:01 PM

Bruceless is wrong again we don’t just wait until the big clubs finish their transfer business we have to wait on villa wolves west ham and even Brentford choosing the dreggs that the big six have left
    We are a small irrelevant club who have been systematically taken apart by a stinking owner and his cronies
    Topped off with a donkey for a manager and his jobs for the boys staff ameobi harper and the rest of the pathetic losers he has employed even if the fat man stays bring in a forward thinking foreign coach with all his own men and clear out all the
    Useless hangers on
    But I don’t think a foreign coach would come to a club steeped in decades of failure and who will finally run out of luck this season
    And be relegated
    And frankly with all the other hardships in life people have to put up with who the hell gives a toss anymore
    Everybody out

• Bills Son Is Back

Aug 4, 2021 at 5:11 PM

Ruddy

You say what agenda do you have against me…

And then you say this…

I don’t hide the fact that I wish to see Ashley leave the club, I don’t hide the fact that I, like many fans, liked the fact that Rafa stood up to Ashley and engaged him in PR games to get what he wanted and needed. I do feel it’s a fool’s errand to justify Bruce’s shortcomings and weaknesses by making comparison’s to Rafa,.

All of that…

Because when you said Bruce should have more backbone and tell it as it is, I mentioned how telling at as it is can be demotivating… like Rafa saying it wiould be a miracle if we stayed up.

You interpret that by saying I am comparing Rafa to Bruce? No agenda??

You could, and have, fooled me.