web analytics

Newcastle Add Former Academy Product As Interim Lead Development Coach

Newcastle United have announced that Gary Caldwell has been added to the U23 staff as the lead development coach in the wake of Chris Hogg’s departure to join MK Dons on Friday

Caldwell, along with his brother Steven, is a Newcastle Academy product who originally joined in 2001 from Celtic. He never made a first-team appearance with Newcastle but went out on four different loan spells before returning to Scotland with Hibernian in 2004.

During his career, the center-back won silverware with Celtic as well as the FA Cup with Wigan in 2013. The 39-year-old hung up his boots in 2015 to join the Latics Academy as a youth coach. He replaced Malky Makay as the first-team manager in April of 2015 during their relegation season to League One.

The following season Caldwell was retained as manager guiding the Latics to the League One title and promotion back to the Championship. He was relieved of his duties the following October after a slow start.

Caldwell went on to manage Chesterfield in League One in 2017 as well as Scottish Championship club Patrick Thistle the following year. He has now returned to Newcastle to help with the U23s on an interim basis.

With his extensive experience as a first-team manager, this is likely an audition for Gary to take the reigns for the U23s, who kick off their Premier League 2 season tonight against Reading at Whitley Park.

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 17, 2021 at 9:16 AM

Oh dear, when gallows humour is being thought up then the signs are ominous 😕

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 17, 2021 at 9:22 AM

Jeez, if that result has done this to the blog then we’re in for a helluva long season.

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 17, 2021 at 9:23 AM

I feel a record run coming on.

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 17, 2021 at 9:23 AM

Back to work at half nine though so better get a move on.

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 17, 2021 at 9:24 AM

Ashley stinks.

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 17, 2021 at 9:24 AM

So does Churnley.

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 17, 2021 at 9:25 AM

So does Jib Jibberly 😀

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 17, 2021 at 9:25 AM

Is nobody going to stand in my way ye gods!!!

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 17, 2021 at 9:26 AM

I think 17 is the record for a Tuesday morning.

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 17, 2021 at 9:28 AM

Is Lingard going to West Ham?

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 17, 2021 at 9:28 AM

Ran out of time 😕

• Nicky the ball tosser

Aug 17, 2021 at 9:37 AM

If he sticks with 532, or however you describe it, this is my team for Villa.

Longstaff can pass and run about. Lewis gives us more legs both ways than Ritchie. The back 3 wasn’t right at all v West Ham. Lascelles gives us a bit of pace and leadership. Schar can pass it out and bring it out.

……………………..Woodman …
    …………..Schar…Lascelles…Fernandez.
    ..Murphy……………Longstaff………………Lewis
    …………Willock……………….. Almiron.
    …………………………..Saint-Maximin.
    ……………………Wilson.

OUT – Krafth, Clark, Ritchie, Shelvey, Hayden

IN – Schar, Lascelles, Lewis, Willock, Longstaff

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Aug 17, 2021 at 9:42 AM

@Nicky

That’s the team I would like to see although I would prefer it to be more of a 3 up front with Almiron and ASM slightly wide similar to how Liverpool setup with the 3 attackers expected to be in the box for the wingbacks crosses!

Villa will be a tough game though they have plenty of pace all over the pitch

• Bills Son Is Back

Aug 17, 2021 at 9:42 AM

I’ve read nothing on the blog since after the match apart from a quick glance and it looks like the knives and doom are out in abundance.

My summary on the game…

WH are a good team, in fact on that performance a very good team.

After our goal they pinned us back and their midfield of Rice, Soucek, Benrahima and with the two full backs linking really well in attack… they were a street ahead of our mid. We were fortunate to be 2-1 up at HT.

However, I thought we still played some good stuff, always looked dangerous on the break, and never gave up pushing when we went behind. That’s why we conceded two goals and Antonio’s especially showed how slow our CD’s are – and why we need pace there.

ASM had a stormer but I thought he was dropping too deep at times, sometimes in our half to take a pass. We need his explosive pace to start further up the field and this is why we need another CM who can run with the ball from a defensive position ie., Willock + ANO.

It was hard to judge Woodman as, apart from the pen save, he never got close to saving the other three goals and he actually didn’t have that much to do.

I was disappointed in Miggy, but I think that’s because with ASM in the 10 and wing backs he struggles to know where to position himself on the pitch and he looks lost at times. Murphy was too occupied stopping them bombing down the left to do much going forward.

I wasn’t happy with the result, I never am when we get beat, but IMO it wasn’t a bad performance and there were positives.

In the end, we just got beat by a better and very good team on the day.

• Adamn_92

Aug 17, 2021 at 9:44 AM

Nicky

If we stick with that formation that’s pretty much the team I’d like to see start too. The only thing I would potentially change would be Longstaff for Hayden. Longstaff has the legs to play there but he’d have to be providing the defensive cover, which his positional sense from a defensive point may let him down. Could get caught out of position and by-passed quite easily. Hayden has a bit more defensive positional sense and may break up play a bit more and get caught out less. It’s a close call between the two for me though.

• Munster Mag

Aug 17, 2021 at 10:04 AM

Lobby…not a good tackler…I just see him as one of these players who just isnt good enough.

Someone said her the other day that both Longstaffs are good PL players.

I just dont see it.

• Optimistic prime

Aug 17, 2021 at 10:22 AM

Bills

You read nothing on the blog but are able to summarise the doom and gloomers are out.

Why not skip the match and assess like you have the blog, save a small fortune.

• Bills Son Is Back

Aug 17, 2021 at 10:26 AM

OP

I didn’t read one post from start to finish.

I glanced through and that was enough to sum up the general mood.

• Optimistic prime

Aug 17, 2021 at 10:28 AM

Bills

I think there’s a few don’t read posts start to finish, they’re ready to answer before they start 😉

I think overall most were disappointed in the midfield and cb selections.

There was the odd cry of relegation but more a muted cry.

Nowt to worry about, 37 games and 2 weeks to go on transfer front

• Adamn_92

Aug 17, 2021 at 10:40 AM

I can’t speak for anyone else on here, but I know I personally put our good run at the end of last season to the presence of Jones coming in and changing things. Too much of a coincidence since he joined and the football we were then playing and the change in attitude and effort. I still stand by that and think it was his influence that changed things, along with Willock.

That being said, this season i’m not simply going to praise Jones if we do well or win and won’t spare him of criticism if we lose or play badly. If Jones is having as big of an impact on the team as we all believe since he joined, then we have to be prepared to call his choices wrong when it doesn’t work too. Bruce is the manager so of course is always going to be in the firing line and rightly so. But I know I won’t personally blame him and spare Jones this season for bad performances and results. Like Sunday, I think the lack of protection on the wings was clear to see early on and needed to be addressed. That wing back set up is a Jones tactic and it just was exploited all afternoon so that falls at his door. The team selection and where they were played I say falls with Bruce so that’s his fault, with both of them probably open to criticism for not making any changes to the system or tactics until the game was already gone.

1 5 6 7