web analytics

Newcastle ‘Monitoring’ Norwegian International For Potential January Move – Report

Newcastle United released a ‘transfer update’ last week after failing to strengthen during the January window. The statement provided a detailed explanation of Joe Willock’s signing while also proclaiming ‘internal parties’ knew the club had little money to spend.

It has been suggested that part of the update was a message to Steve Bruce, who was reportedly upset the club refused to bring Hamza Choudhury in on loan from Leicester City on deadline day.

The ‘update’ served as little more than an attempt to justify an underwhelming window in which Newcastle were the only club not to strengthen from the back end of the previous campaign.

It did little to provide any hope for Newcastle fans that this January will be much different. While a lot will depend on where Newcastle sit in the league by the end of the year, it appears that there is going to be little money available in the winter window.

Newcastle do have both domestic loan slots available so if desperation arises, that is the likely route the club will take. However, we’ll still see links with big-money moves from time to time.

Football League World has kicked things off with an exclusive that Newcastle are monitoring Sheffield United midfielder Sander Berge as a potential target in January. The Norwegian international is an interesting player who certainly would be a good addition to the Newcastle midfield.

The 23-year-old was a surprise addition when signing from Belgium’s Genk for over £20m in January of 2020. A severe hamstring injury curtailed his progress last season limiting him to just 16 appearances.

With Sheffield now relegated, Berge was linked with moves over the summer. Both Liverpool and Arsenal were credited with interest. Newcastle’s name even popped up briefly. While he does have a relegation release clause, his price tag is still more than Newcastle could ‘afford’ this past summer.

So unless a change of heart happens at the top at Newcastle, Berge seems an unrealistic target as he’ll cost a significant fee. There’s little chance Sheffield would agree to a loan with a purchase option as the midfielder is still tied down until 2024.

The Blades have started life back in The Championship in dreadful fashion with just 2 points in their first five fixtures. Berge has started all five matches but contracted Covid 19 last week keeping him out of Norway’s World Cup qualifiers.

It seems unlikely at the moment that Newcastle will pursue Berge this winter considering this past transfer window. The more likely route will be another push to land Choudhury on loan and possibly another defender if we are well down the table come January. Such is life as a Newcastle fan.

How Will Newcastle Do At Manchester United On Saturday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Adamn_92

Sep 9, 2021 at 3:10 PM

Carltoon

Feels like you have an issue with me, but i’m not sure why? haha I explained I posted it tongue in cheek to be more ‘positive’. So yeah Donegal, it’s a rumour, not sure where it started from, barely even getting talked about on twitter and it was posted tongue in cheek so not much to take notice of really.

• DONEGAL NUFC IRL

Sep 9, 2021 at 3:13 PM

Thanks bob
    Just need to find the time, my two young girls take it all. Haha

• DONEGAL NUFC IRL

Sep 9, 2021 at 3:15 PM

Thanks Adam

• carltoon

Sep 9, 2021 at 3:16 PM

Adam, of course I haven’t got any issue with you at all, I just post what I see. I read every post, it’s just an opinion, I like reading links from Twitter, please keep posting g them, like I said you’ll not get any grief from me if you post them the more the merrier. And don’t take any notice of what I post, I’m a woman, I change my mind when I want.

• DONEGAL NUFC IRL

Sep 9, 2021 at 3:18 PM

Keep the links cuming, that’s why I miss mund’s post’s.

• carltoon

Sep 9, 2021 at 3:19 PM

Adam, plus I’m on your side against all kinds of R wing Propaganda. 🙂

• lesh

Sep 9, 2021 at 3:21 PM

Carltoon

You tell ’em gal.

🙂

• Adamn_92

Sep 9, 2021 at 3:21 PM

Carltoon, fair enough maybe I just read into it wrong. I don’t have or have had any issue with you either. To you and Donegal sorry but I won’t be posting many, that was just to try and find a smidge of something to find positive lately after posting doom and gloom all the time! If either of you ever want to look though, I don’t think you need a twitter account to look necessarily. Just go on twitter and search for something like ‘nufctakeover’ and you’ll see what people on there have been talking about recently 🙂

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 9, 2021 at 3:22 PM

carltoon,
    Maybe you don’t have an issue with Adam but it does seem you’re not happy with the blog. You keep making comments about ‘their’ blog, or people being told to post elsewhere, Adamn_92 posting twitter links but not getting grief. What is it?

• WLtoon

Sep 9, 2021 at 3:23 PM

Jeez not more TO rumours, could it be The Venky`s.
    We might have the best flavoured tea stall in the champo next season.
    Our hot chicken wings will be to die for, unfortunately the football on display will be more like the Parsons Nose.

• Not another deJong

Sep 9, 2021 at 3:25 PM

cleveleysbob

I wasn’t too sure about Jack Ryan, thought it was too stereotypical and I lost interest. Is the second season worth a look or more / less of the same?

I would highly recommend Mrs Maisel, especially if anyone liked Mad Men, set in same era and high production expense. (although plays on typical J@wish stereotype!)

The Boys is a great ensemble piece, with gross out action and an atypical slant on the SuperHero genre.

• Adamn_92

Sep 9, 2021 at 3:28 PM

WLToon

It’s literally not even worth reading into, it’s hardly even being talked about on twitter. Just a few people here and there. Barely more than water cooler chat.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 9, 2021 at 3:30 PM

DONEGAL NUFC IRL,
    For the record, Mund wasn’t posting ‘links’ . He was copying and pasting people’s comments without giving any information on the credibity of that person or access to the comments that followed their nonsensical claims. He was posting what he wanted people to hear no matter how far away from the truth. About 5% of the stuff he posted was linked and the most of it what he’d ‘been told’ 99% of it was garbage and made from educated guesses. Telling people an out of court settlement had been reached, how much Willocks loan fee was, it was starting to border on the ridiculous.

• Not another deJong

Sep 9, 2021 at 3:33 PM

‘Palm Springs’ (film) on Amazon Prime is a lot of fun too!

• geordietom

Sep 9, 2021 at 3:34 PM

people were going on about the original VEGAN the other day why DID he leave the blog ?

• WLtoon

Sep 9, 2021 at 3:35 PM

It`s only a matter of time before the greedy 6 have B teams playing in Lge 1 and 2, it`s already started in Scotland.
    Rangers B and Celtic B hammering their opponents 8-0 and 9-0.

There`s a sobering thought for fair and unbiased competition in football.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 9, 2021 at 3:36 PM

geordietom,
    You’re kidding right?

• geordietom

Sep 9, 2021 at 3:37 PM

AM I ?

• lesh

Sep 9, 2021 at 3:38 PM

I know it’s going over old ground but this Northern Echo piece opines on the content of the anonymous Club statement.

Bruceyboy needs to be careful what he says at the pre-ManU presser… he’ll be asked a tricky question or two, that’s for sure.

• geordietom

Sep 9, 2021 at 3:40 PM

Ok what i can remember about the VEGAN episode , he made a THREAT/THREATS to the Harrisons to report them and get the blog closed down ,

so maybe he wasnt that bad eh ? 👿

• DONEGAL NUFC IRL

Sep 9, 2021 at 3:40 PM

Jail
    My man let it go lol, I know it was shit but still fun to read. For me anyway’s.

• WLtoon

Sep 9, 2021 at 3:41 PM

Adam,

I don`t do Twitter, i only commented on your post mate, and for what it`s worth i don`t believe any of that BS either.

• DONEGAL NUFC IRL

Sep 9, 2021 at 3:42 PM

GT
    Dam I missed that bit.

• Adamn_92

Sep 9, 2021 at 3:46 PM

WL

You’re not missing much haha looking at Newcastle news on there is a madhouse sometimes. The best route I think is still to give most attention to reports from SkySports and major sports channel/avenues, a little bit of attention to respected journalists when they’re reporting stuff, a bit more to Caulkin as he seems to not be a wind up and doesn’t post too often/if there’s nothing to post, give way less attention to random journalists and even less to random people on twitter claiming to be itk.

• carltoon

Sep 9, 2021 at 3:49 PM

Jail , I love posting on the blog, I feel I’ve made lots of friends, what I post is my take on what is happening, its everyone’s blog, let’s not forget that. I’ve said I read everyone’s posts, many I don’t agree with, I’m sure that’s allowed. I’m not the only one liked the links. But if we say that, it’s get yourself on twitter or go and find a new blog. I’ve no issues whatsoever with the posters on here. Never had.

• WLtoon

Sep 9, 2021 at 3:52 PM

geordietom,

Why did the vegan leave?

I have never seen a poster hounded off a blog the way he was, he was accused of being this that and tuther every day and was also jumped upon for practically everything he said. Some posters clearly had an agenda with him and eventually they got their wish and he left.
    He was obviously far too intelligent for some on here to handle, i thought he was an interesting character with some really thought provoking posts in his locker, but hey, that`s just my opinion .
    If he did threaten to report the blog then ok, it`s best that he did leave, but would he of actually done it.

• geordietom

Sep 9, 2021 at 3:53 PM

DONEGAL …

its in the past mate and thats where it should stay imo

• geordietom

Sep 9, 2021 at 3:54 PM

WL …

i gave my answer thats what i remember the most about it …

• carltoon

Sep 9, 2021 at 3:58 PM

I don’t even know what your getting at. Have I got to like everything that’s posted? Yes I sometimes have a bit of a melt down, for God sake don’t we all.

• geordietom

Sep 9, 2021 at 3:58 PM

WL …

last thing on that subject ,

your words >>>> I have never seen a poster hounded off a blog the way he was,

remember TONY BALONEY he was another one who was ”HOUNDED OFF THE BLOG ”

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 9, 2021 at 3:58 PM

carltoon,
    All good it just seemed as though something had upset you.

• WLtoon

Sep 9, 2021 at 4:02 PM

Heading up to Newcastle on Sunday, it will be rammed again. The GNR is actually finishing where it started this year due to covid so the sight of 50k runners passing Monument will be awesome.
    A few drinks and a bite to eat are on the agenda, and even if we do get a spanking off Manure it will not spoil my weekend.

• cleveleysbob

Sep 9, 2021 at 4:02 PM

Bloody hell, you go away for few minutes and the blog springs to life, plus I’m logged out, what a pain.

Deep breath, NaDJ- season 2 is much like season one but mostly in South America, it’s very like the Jack Ryan or Jason Bourne movies but developing the story over 10 or more 1hr episodes.

Lesh, didn’t you hear the latest rumour, Jeff Bezos is buying us, so be nice to Amazon Prime. 😉

Carltoon, I’d love to keep you a scone but the good causes have to come 1st. Next year we should be back to June/July, pop over on the ferry and I’ll bake you a few (no charge).

B teams, got to admit, I’ve been expecting that for a few years now. Letting the U23’s play in the fizzy pop cup was the 1st step.

OK caught up, coffee break now. 😀

• lochinvar

Sep 9, 2021 at 4:04 PM

Vegan left because he got a leading role as a singer in the stage version of “Frozen”

” Lettuce go, lettuce go…”

• cleveleysbob

Sep 9, 2021 at 4:06 PM

Have to say, from a purely personal perspective, I thought Tony Baloney and Kev (the vegan) got what they deserved. They were the 2 biggest argumentative, disruptive posters we’ve ever had on here, and let’s face it we have quite a few, but those 2 took the biscuit.

Don’t reply as I’m not getting into it with anyone, just my view.

• WLtoon

Sep 9, 2021 at 4:07 PM

geordietom,

Aye i remember Toney Baloney, imo i thought he was way OTT , a bit of a drama queen tbh, that`s what i remember about him.

How`s things with you Tom, it doesn`t look like we are going to have that celebratory TO pint after all mate. Shame.

• cleveleysbob

Sep 9, 2021 at 4:07 PM

Nice one Loch! 😀

• Wor B

Sep 9, 2021 at 4:08 PM

Did someone mention B teams?

There’s one in the Harrison’s H2H div2 called Wor B Team.

Dodgy outfit, likely to end in tears.

• carltoon

Sep 9, 2021 at 4:09 PM

Loch! I sang that to Kevin, he just wouldn’t let anything go.

• carltoon

Sep 9, 2021 at 4:11 PM

Bob, I will be over for me scone, sorry for the upset on the blog this morning, it may have been me. 🙄